It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Too Old for Pokemon? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

When I was 13 or so, my dad, my mom and I were talking. Somehow, Pokemon got brought up (because obviously my family knows I like it a lot). Then my dad said, "Isn't he getting a little too old for Pokemon?". Gah. Dad, why? Those words have haunted me ever since. And now two years later, I look back and think... Am I obsessing over a kid's game? With the confusion of IV's, EV's, natures, abilities, typing, and all the mechanics that go into the game - I would think it is most definately not a kid's game. But still, is it known as a little kid's game to the public? Maybe they just don't know the calculating and time that goes into this. What do you think?
-------------------
The spolier below is just background info. Not necessary but just for more understanding :D
Highlight to view spoiler.
So yeah. I'm 15 and I like Pokemon. In reality, it's a secret hobby. I never talk to anyone at school about it because, well, Pokemon is sorta a nerdy thing. I've got friends and stuff but the good thing is they dont look in my drawers to see the collection of Pokemon games. Good thing I've got Psypoke to talk about it with.

Time Zone: MDT (Mountain Daylight Time)
----------------------------------
Trading Thread

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, my dad's mentioned once or twice that it is a kid-oriented game, but that there's really nothing wrong with continuing to play it. When you add in all the stuff from competitive battling, the game turns out not to be a kid's game anymore. But played as it's meant to be played (without manipulation of stuff like that), it most definitely is. But that doesn't really bother me. I've seen quite a few people playing Pokemon at my school (including substitute teachers). In the end, it's just a game; the targeted demographic for it doesn't really matter. Teenagers spend a lot of time playing CoD and Halo; should Pokemon-players be criticized anymore than them? And WoW fans probably waste waay more time and money on their games than we do, so I think we're good, lol.

There will come a time when I will probably quit Pokemon. But for right now... I'm good with playing a kid's game.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My parents have said it plenty of times now. I'm 17 years old and i have about 2 friends who i talk to about Pokemon. They both know the ins and outs of EV's, IV's etc. So we all know that there are just some aspects of the game that kids probably won't get but i personally don't view myself as too old. It's a game i've grew up with as well as watch. I don't watch the Anime any more but i do play the games and watch the movies. And games are here to entertain and as rex09 said before me, we should be classed no different to the Halo, CoD, WoW, Assasins Creed, Zelda etc. players out there. We're just playing a game we enjoy at the end of the day...

Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:20 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Good point! Only thing is, WoW and COD are a little more manly than Pokemon (according to some people I know). So when I play this one, sometimes I feel silly. Especially with the constant teasing of my LITTLE brother, that's right, little. He's always saying, "Wow. 15 and STILL playin' Pokemon huh?" He's 13...

Trading Thread

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I'm 20 and most of the people I play Pokemon with (generally the TCG) are either around the same age as me or they're older than me. I started Pokemon with Base Set back in 1998 and have been playing ever since, and none of my friends have a problem with it.

It's not a kid's game; it's a common bond between individuals. Anyone who does think it's just for children is either mean-spirited or ill-informed, most likely the latter (although the former do exist).

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

bottomsupfellas wrote:
Good point! Only thing is, WoW and COD are a little more manly than Pokemon (according to some people I know). So when I play this one, sometimes I feel silly. Especially with the constant teasing of my LITTLE brother, that's right, little. He's always saying, "Wow. 15 and STILL playin' Pokemon huh?" He's 13...

I get that from my 10 year old brother and i'm 17 XD And it never bothers me. i enjoy it and that's that in my opinion :P

And well said DNA!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah ... I'm almost 55 years old. Completely hooked on Pokémon since I borrowed a friend's FR and her GBA while my wife was having a knee replacement surgery. That was in ... '09 I think? Been completely hooked on it ever since.

Too old? Not one darned bit.

[Edit: Yep ... since '09 ... see my sig. :lol: ]

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

BarnOwl wrote:
Yeah ... I'm almost 55 years old. Completely hooked on Pokémon since I borrowed a friend's FR and her GBA while my wife was having a knee replacement surgery. That was in ... '09 I think? Been completely hooked on it ever since.

Too old? Not one darned bit.

[Edit: Yep ... since '09 ... see my sig. :lol: ]

That's awesome dude, I have a feeling i'll still be into pokemon when i'm that age, or at least still have my old games. Do you get any criticism for it?

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:36 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Even if the style and plot of the games remain kid-oriented, the Pokemon games will still be a complex and innovatve turn-based RPG franchise at heart. I find that it holds my intrest, even compared to games like Fire Emblem.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:11 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Too old? no such thing. I'm almost 30 and have been playing since RBY came out. As I was telling my coworker the other day, the story may be childish, but the IV breeding and competitive battling is not.
I will say, it IS a lot easier to admit I play WoW and Soul Calibur to people. They can wrap their heads around those ones easier.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, Im 20 play pokemon and buy cards (although not as much now). And yeah my parents find it odd that im playing it/ still buying cards. But theyd much rather do what im doing then some other illegal things.

And the reason WHY I play pokemon is that it is a slower paced game. You have time to plan and think. Most games just have you mash buttons. Pokemon is nice change of pace after playing fast paced games.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:40 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

GofD wrote:
And the reason WHY I play pokemon is that it is a slower paced game. You have time to plan and think. Most games just have you mash buttons. Pokemon is nice change of pace after playing fast paced games.

This is perfect. I couldn't add much else to be honest. This and the fact i grew up with it are the reasons i play it.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:13 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

GofD wrote:

Welcome to the Pokemon TCG, where a single mistake can cost you the whole game.

...okay, this is good to know that there are actually people here older than me as well who still play Pokemon. Thank goodness - I thought after leaving this site for 3 years I'd be surrounded by little children. Nope!

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:48 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

These are all good points guys. I guess I'm still considered a kid right now so I don't have much complaining to do. I guess you're never too old for anything if you really like it.

Right now I'm in the process of borrowing my friend's DS so that I can use the Action Replay, I've got a 3DS so it wont work and blah blah blah, it's another story. Anyways, it's just embaressing to go over to his house and get it. His parents are very against childish things or actions sooo.... Yeah it's awkward. But oh well. They'll just have to deal with it :D

Trading Thread

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

bottomsupfellas wrote:
Right now I'm in the process of borrowing my friend's DS so that I can use the Action Replay, I've got a 3DS so it wont work and blah blah blah, it's another story. Anyways, it's just embaressing to go over to his house and get it. His parents are very against childish things or actions sooo.... Yeah it's awkward. But oh well. They'll just have to deal with it

Heres the thing though: if they understood the Deeper workings, Ivs, Evs, breeding, movesets and all that, theyll see that Pokemon can be considered more than just a kids game. Also parents COMPLAIN when there kids (however old) play violent and... lets say "inaproriate" games. Yet when we play something like pokemon, thats not violent, requires reading skills, and to actully requires us to THINK, they complain thats it a kid game.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:49 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

WirelessBrain wrote:
That's awesome dude, I have a feeling i'll still be into pokemon when i'm that age, or at least still have my old games. Do you get any criticism for it?

Criticism? Not really, the occasional comment from my wife (but since she's addicted to Nancy Drew games, she can't say much). I've had a comment or two from coworkers, but just say something like "eh, it's a fun game, that's why I play it" and pretty much ignore them. I've also used the quote I have in my sig a few times ... they have to agree with that. Then too, the majority of people I know/work with, know that if they said something particularly snide about it, I'd probably say something back like "go piss up a rope" ... or throw something at them. :lol:
GofD wrote:

Extremely good point! And I do have to admit that this is one of the things I also like about the games. In fact, it is one of the biggest reasons that I find Pokémon to be an excellent way of relaxing! Besides, I can carry my DS lite in my jeans pocket and pull it out to play a bit any time I'm sitting and waiting for a while. Very convenient.

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:05 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Thank You - We have a thread for people like me!
In my school, me and my friend Justin Thyme (hes also on psypokes btw) set up a Pokemon club and we got about 10 - 15 ppl join. We get a lot of stick for it but we just ignore it. I think its not a Kids game because when you work out all the hidden values (IVs, Evs etc.) then its a lot more than a kids game. Also, I think playing Pokemon is better than playing CoD, Halo, WoW etc. Were both fourteen and Pokemon gives us something we both enjoy rather than 'inappropriate' games. I guess I might stop playing the games at Gen 6 but I probably will still play on Pokemon Online now and then past Gen 6. In response to your question - No-one is too Old for Pokemon.

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:56 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

BarnOwl wrote:
Criticism? Not really, the occasional comment from my wife (but since she's addicted to Nancy Drew games, she can't say much). I've had a comment or two from coworkers, but just say something like "eh, it's a fun game, that's why I play it" and pretty much ignore them. I've also used the quote I have in my sig a few times ... they have to agree with that. Then too, the majority of people I know/work with, know that if they said something particularly snide about it, I'd probably say something back like "go piss up a rope" ... or throw something at them. :lol:

Yeah, i don't get that as much at college because nobody really knows except the few people who do themselves, but it's mainly at home. My parents saying it's a kids game. And i can't really be bothered explaining EV's, IV's and the rest to them. I agree with the above post though, nobody is to old, there is no age limit. And how old are you DNA?

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:49 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

When you guys get out of high school you'll realize Pokemon is no longer social suicide, actually it's the opposite. College or work, you'll meet someone who still plays, I've met several. I got laid (mostly taken advantage of...) last year and it's all thanks to Emerald Version. It's kinda awkward to bring up the subject, but if you're caught playing it like I was, then someone is bound to say "oh hey I love that game."

I don't know about kids nowadays but back when I was in high school it was totally social suicide.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:58 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Krisp wrote:
When you guys get out of high school you'll realize Pokemon is no longer social suicide, actually it's the opposite. College or work, you'll meet someone who still plays, I've met several. I got laid (mostly taken advantage of...) last year and it's all thanks to Emerald Version. It's kinda awkward to bring up the subject, but if you're caught playing it like I was, then someone is bound to say "oh hey I love that game."

I don't know about kids nowadays but back when I was in high school it was totally social suicide.

That is just....Well lucky as far as I'm concerned. Playing Pokemon has never got me laid (or however else you want to put it). But, I do definitely agree with you Krisp, Pokemon was social suicide where I live, which is some small town in Ohio where my graduating class was all of 56 people. And it became social suicide when I got into 6th grade, which was...Pretty ironic considering the year before when we were stuck with inside recesses for a few solid months, everyone was bringing in Pokemon games or Yugioh cards. I don't know what made Pokemon uncool after that, but I've never stopped playing it, as a matter of fact for a brief moment before high school started, I got one of my friends who'd never touched the games hooked on them, but he was never serious enough about it to carry up to the fourth or fifth generation.

Still, I would have to say that I'll probably never stop playing, and with everyone talking about it like this, I'll probably stop playing Pokemon just in my house, and start taking my DS with me to kill time places and such. I'm 19 by the way.

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:01 am
Profile YIM
Lite Four
Lite Four

Where in Ohio do you live? I live in a small town in Ohio and that sounds about like my graduating class...I'm older though, so it was probably a little different when I went to school. I'm also the wrong gender for it, so that makes me look like even more of a freak. I've only known one person my whole adult life who didn't accept that I liked Pokemon - some 40 year old dude I work with, and quite frankly I don't give a flying **** what he thinks. He thinks it's weird for a 20-something year old to play Pokemon? I think there's something wrong with a 43 year old going to see Harry Pooter's last movie!

Actually I've hooked up with numerous people who play Pokemon - it's probably easier for me than it is for you though because of gender. My relationships always turn out bad though, I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to be forever alone...at least I can still play Pokemon, though.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Krisp wrote:
Where in Ohio do you live? I live in a small town in Ohio and that sounds about like my graduating class...I'm older though, so it was probably a little different when I went to school. I'm also the wrong gender for it, so that makes me look like even more of a freak. I've only known one person my whole adult life who didn't accept that I liked Pokemon - some 40 year old dude I work with, and quite frankly I don't give a flying **** what he thinks. He thinks it's weird for a 20-something year old to play Pokemon? I think there's something wrong with a 43 year old going to see Harry Pooter's last movie!

Actually I've hooked up with numerous people who play Pokemon - it's probably easier for me than it is for you though because of gender. My relationships always turn out bad though, I'm pretty sure I'm doomed to be forever alone...at least I can still play Pokemon, though.

"At least I can still play Pokemon though." I'm literally laughing right now, no lols

I live in South Charleston, between Springfield and London, ever heard of it?
I honestly wouldn't be suprised if you haven't.

I still call you plain lucky that you've hooked up with people through Pokemon, but probably the only reason things like that don't happen to me is because like I said, I've kept Pokemon a kind of...dirty little secret I guess? It became a side-hobby to trying to hang out with people in some times in high school, but I've been out for a year now and I've picked it back up numerous times since then.
I'm enjoying it and have started taking my DS places with me to kill time, who knows I may meet someone cool through it just like you have.

An old team I had an idea for. Criticism is appreciated.

SoulSilver-- 1892-9981-0071

Diamond-- 5414-8714-8656

Trading thread-- viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27567

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:15 am
Profile YIM
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Wireless Brain wrote:
And how old are you DNA?

Twenty.
Elrik wrote:
Playing Pokemon has never got me laid (or however else you want to put it).

Not yet, anyway. Hey, you never know.
Krisp wrote:
He thinks it's weird for a 20-something year old to play Pokemon? I think there's something wrong with a 43 year old going to see Harry Potter's last movie!

Quantum Field Theory QFT.

Anyone who thinks that older people playing Pokemon is social suicide is either giving in to "peer pressure" (and I use the term lightly in this case because, seriously, would peers really do that?) or they just feel shy about talking about it. There is nothing wrong with being shy, but like as many people have said, there are more people that play Pokemon than you think - most of us are just closet fans, really. If we were a bit more open we might all be a lot happier.

I think that one of the best ways to get with people that play Pokemon is to go to a 'league', which is lingo for a group of people that meets once a week or so in a given location so they can hang out and play Pokemon TCG with each other (and occasionally video games). Yes, I know it's mainly TCG-oriented, but I find that it's a good social experience as well. Leagues are the reason I actually got back into the TCG after a 4+ year hiatus from it (I stopped and Neo and missed pretty much the entire EX series before restarting at DP), and hey, even though TCG may or may not be your thing, it's still a good way to hang out. Here's where you can search for them, if any of you are interested.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:44 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Krisp wrote:
I'm also the wrong gender for it, so that makes me look like even more of a freak.

What do you mean by when you say that being male is the "wrong" gender for it? (I assume youre male as it says that under your avatar). I thought that males tend to play Pokemon more. If you were female that would make much more sense...

Check out My Brand New and Improved Trading Centre!!! THE SUPERSTORE IS NOW CLOSED

Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

DNA wrote:
.Anyone who thinks that older people playing Pokemon is social suicide is either giving in to "peer pressure" (and I use the term lightly in this case because, seriously, would peers really do that?) or they just feel shy about talking about it. There is nothing wrong with being shy, but like as many people have said, there are more people that play Pokemon than you think - most of us are just closet fans, really. If we were a bit more open we might all be a lot happier.

Social Sucide? PFFFFFFFFFT, I think this site and others like it put that thought to bed rather quickly. If playing pokemon was social suicide, Psypokes wouldnt even exist. And yeah becuase of that thinking alot of people who play pokemon hide that fact. Am I ashamed that I play pokemon. No, why would I be? Yes it has cute little creatures in it. Yes it can be rather simple. But it has character, it stops and makes you think, the possiblities for teams is HUGE. (over 500 pokes, each being able to learn 4 moves? Yeah its huge). There arent just that many games that keep my interest, pokemon is one of those few games that still keep me interested.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next