It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 How-To: Create Your Dream Team in Pokémon [Gen V] 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Creating your Dream Team in Pokémon Black and White: A How-To Guide

Introduction
Creating a superior team is certainly no easy task! In each generation, we strive to create the "perfect team" - whether for game-play or for competitive battling. This guide will focus more on the teams used for competitive battling - although if you're going to use this for friendly matches between games - you would probably win! Now, this is my first guide, and I may have some misinterpretations, so please correct me if I am wrong somewhere! Anyways, there are four main steps in creating the perfect Pokémon team and they are: Planning, Obtaining, Training, Enjoying. A little forewarning - I repeat words a lot and I like to link to other Psypoke guides. In advance, I'd like to apologize about all that reading! Also, you may notice that at first I actually use an accented e (é) in Pokémon, but it gets really tiring later, so I just stop and only use it in Pokémon, not Pokéballs or Pokérus. Hehe, laziness.

Step 1: Planning
The very first step in your journey to create your dream team is planning. A good, well-rounded team has many diverse types of Pokémon, each with varied move-sets and amazing stats. When creating your team, consider the following things:

1. What Pokémon will you chose?
My first piece of advise - You want to avoid the Legends. Personally, I find them annoying and despise those who use them. If you really feel like you must use a legend, then some of this guide will be useless to you – you’ll see why later. Now, if you’re really out of inspiration – try to pick a theme! Like only use your favorite Pokémon or only use Pokémon that Ash has used in the Anime. Oh, and seriously guys, use the Psydex (and/or the Search Function) to find out the base stats of the Pokémon you are considering to help you choose your Pokémon. I didn't even know about the Search Function until a few days ago, and it is extremely helpful.

2. What role will each Pokémon play in your party and what EV's will you give it?
First off, use the tools given to you! Find out about those obscure terms, gaming strategies, special movesets, etc. Haha, well alright, now that you've done all of this research and narrowed the Pokémon and respective battle roles down to about 6, decided what your Pokémon's EV training will be. If you have NO IDEA what EV's are, please see this "not a guide" guide, written by sN0wBaLLl. Now that you've read that, you can finally decide! You're making this decision while considering both the base stats and desired battle roles. For example: Say you want a Volcarona. Using the Psydex, you know that Volcarona has the following base stats:
HP 85
Attack 60
Defense 65
Special Attack135
Special Def 105
Speed 100
Total 550
With these kinds of stats, Volcarona would make an excellent Special Sweeper - which you've discovered your team needs one of. Thus you're going to want to invest 252 EV's in Special Attack, 252 EV's in Speed, and 6 EV's in HP. While this isn't very original, this is a basic and (hopefully) easy-to-understand example. When you understand more of this, you should be able to plan a more unique Pokémon!

3. What nature shall your Pokémon be and what ability should it have?
Allow me to summarize what natures are: They are "things" that will usually* take power (about 10%) from one stat and add it to another stat. Natures that subtract from a naturally high base stat are called "hindering natures", while natures that add on to a naturally high base stat are called "helpful natures". If you know anything about this nature nonsense (although you really should, they help a lot), you can look at this chart, made by Achilles. Now, Natures should directly correspond to your base stats/battle roles! My vicious Volcarona - we'll call him Mothra - is a Special Sweeper. He needs to have a good Special Attack and Speed. But the key thing to pick is - what doesn't he need? For him, it's going to be Attack. He's a Special Sweeper, so Physical power is worthless. Thus, we'll pick the Modest Nature - which you'll notice subtracts 10% from Attack and adds 10% to Special Attack. If you really wanted to you could pick Timid, which subtracts 10% from Attack and adds 10% to Speed, but I feel like Mothra is fast enough!
Abilities are also extra "things" the Pokémon have. They can be applied in many ways - from powering up attacks, adding immunities or resistances, boosting stats, having useful field effects, and other amazing uses (although some abilities actually hinder the Pokémon, I'm looking at you Slow Start). They're not unique per se, but if you compared two random Pokémon, chances are, they would have different Abilities. Like natures, Abilities are important to consider in a Pokémon, however, some Pokémon only have 1 normal Ability - like Mothra the Volcarona. He only has Flame Body! However, EVERY Pokémon now has an EXTRA Ability, called Dream World Abilities. Volcarona have the Dream World Ability of Swarm. These will be covered later, in the breeding section (weird huh?). For a complete list of Abilities and the Pokémon that have them, see the Psypoke list of Abilities.
*On a side note - say you're wanting a Mixed Sweeper, one who dishes both Special and Physical attacks, you may want a neutral nature, such as Bashful, Docile, Hardy, Quirky, and Serious.

4. What move-set will these Pokémon have?
Hey! This seems fun! Alright, when you're choosing a move-set you MUST consider your strategy and that Pokémon's battle role! What are you aiming to do with this Pokémon - annoying or attacking? Stalling or stealing? Whatever you choose, you need to ensure that your move-set reflects it. Make sure you know your Pokemon types and how they relate to one another! And don't forget about STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus)! If you don't understand STABbing, go back to that type chart and look it up! It's really helpful.
Here are some moves I would recommend for each type:

Fire
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Fire Fang, Fire Punch, Flare Blitz
>Special - Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Heat Wave
>Other - Will-O-Wisp
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Fiery Dance
>Healing - N/A
>Other - Sunny Day

Water
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Aqua Tail, Waterfall, Razor Shell
>Special - Surf, Scald, Brine, Hydro Pump
>Other - N/A
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats -N/A
>Healing - Aqua Ring
>Other - Rain Dance

Ice
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Ice Punch, Ice Fang, Icicle Crash
>Special - Ice Beam, Frost Breath, Blizzard
>Other - N/A
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Glaciate
>Healing - N/A
>Other - Hail, Haze

Grass
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Power Whip, Leaf Blade, Wood Hammer
>Special - Solar Beam, Giga Drain, Petal Dance
>Other - Cotton Spore, Leech Seed, Worry Seed, Sleep Power/Grasswhistle/Spore, Stun Spore
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Cotton Guard
>Healing - Synthesis
>Other - N/A

Bug
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - X-Scissor, U-Turn, Megahorn
>Special - Bug Buzz, Silver Wind, Signal Beam
>Other - N/A
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Tail Glow, Quiver Dance
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Poison
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Cross Poison, Poison Jab, Poison Fang
>Special - Sludge Bomb, Gunk Shot, Sludge Wave
>Other - Toxic, Poisonpowder, Poison Gas, Acid Spray
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Acid Armor, Coil
>Healing - N/A
>Other - Toxic Spikes

Electric
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Volt Tackle, Thunder Fang, Thunderpunch
>Special - Thunder, Thunderbolt, Shock Wave, Discharge
>Other - Thunder Wave
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - N/A
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Rock
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Rock Wrecker
>Special - Power Gem
>Other - Stealth Rock
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Rock Polish
>Healing - N/A
>Other - Sandstorm, Wide Guard

Ground
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Earthquake, Bulldoze
>Special - Earth Power, Mud Bomb
>Other - Spikes
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - N/A
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Fighting
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Close Combat, Brick Break, Cross Chop, Sky Uppercut,Seismic Toss
>Special - Aura Sphere, Focus Blast, Super Power
>Other - Counter, Reversal
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Bulk Up
>Healing - N/A
>Other - Quick Guard, Detect

Pyschic
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Pyscho Cut, Zen Headbutt
>Special - Pyschic, Extrasensory,
>Other - Future Sight, Mirror Coat, Hypnosis, Kinesis
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Agility, Amnesia,Barrier, Calm Mind
>Healing - Healing Wish, Heal Pulse
>Other - Rest, Light Screen, Reflect

Ghost
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Shadow Claw, Shadow Claw
>Special - Ominous Wind, Shadow Ball, Nightshade
>Other - Nightmare, Curse, Confuse Ray, Destiny Bond
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - N/A
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Dark
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Sucker Punch, Night Slash, Foul Play, Crunch
>Special - Night Daze, Dark Pulse
>Other - Momento, Torment, Switcheroo, Embargo
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Nasty Plot, Hone Claws
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Normal
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Body Slam, Chip Away, Crush Claw, Dizzy Punch, Double Edge, Explosion, Extremespeed, Facade, Return, Selfdestruct, Slash, Strength, Thrash
>Special - Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Swift, Tri-Attack
>Other - Attract, Captivate, Charm, Glare, Lovely Kiss/Sing/Yawn, Scary Face, Screech, Supersonic/Sweet Kiss/Teeter Dance, Swagger, Whirlwind, Perish Song, Metronome, Mimic, Nature Power, Copycat
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Acupressure, Belly Drum, Double Team, Swords Dance,
>Healing - Heal Bell, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Refresh, Wish
>Other - Baton Pass, Protect, Safeguard, Substitute

Flying
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Brave Bird, Drill Peck, Sky Drop
>Special - Air Slash, Hurricane
>Other - Feather Dance, Mirror Move
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Tailwind
>Healing - Roost
>Other - Mirror Move

Dragon
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Dragon Rush, Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, Dual Chop
>Special - Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Breath
>Other - N/A
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Dragon Dance
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Steel
Offensive Moves:
>Physical - Steel Wing, Iron Head, Iron Tail
>Special - Flash Cannon, Gyro Ball, Doom Desire
>Other - N/A
Defensive Moves:
>Raising Stats - Iron Defense
>Healing - N/A
>Other - N/A

Now, let's go back to Mothra the Volcarona I was talking about earlier! Remember him? I've only mentioned him about 3 or 4 times already. Yeah well since he's a Fire/Bug type Special Sweeper, you're going to want a strong special Fire-type move and a strong special Bug-type move. Let's go with Heat Wave and Bug Buzz. There, that's 2/4 down! What about for support? Let's take a page from Unova Champion Addler and teach him Quiver Dance - a great move that will increase both Special Attack and Speed! As for the final move...how about either Hyper Beam or Psychic? They are both powerful moves that could help turn the tides when facing a foe that's resistant to Fire/Bug (like...Water/Fighting, idk). How did I know all of this? I didn't. I looked at Psypoke's List of Pokémon Moves and the Psypoke Types Explanation. There! That was relatively easy - now you have a Pokémon to use - WAIT! We forgot one huge step!

5. What item will your Pokémon hold?
How could we have almost forgotten? The held-items can make or break a battle - no joke. Thus, you need to think about the strengths and weaknesses of your Pokémon when giving an item. For instance, let's take a look at my adorable Mothra yet again - he's got decent stats, but what to do with that "horrible" base HP? How about a good old Sitrus berry? It'll help you when you're in a pinch and need that tiny amount of extra HP! Other viable options for the HP crisis: Leftovers, Shell Bell, or if you're a cheapskate - Oran Berry. Okay, just kidding about that last one, but I'm serious about how items can change a battle! Choose wisely...

5. Does your strategy still hold, or does it need reviewing and editing?
Volcarona [Mothra]
(Fire/Bug) @ Sitrus Berry (Image)
Nature: Modest [EV's: 6 HP - 0 ATK - 0 DEF - 252 SPATK - 0 SPDEF - 252 SPD]
Ability: Flame Body

Quiver Dance
Heat Wave
Bug Buzz
Hyper Beam
Well does it? I mean I like Mothra's strategy - Quiver Dance it up until you're invincible, then PWN with Heat Wave, Bug Buzz, and Hyper Beam. Um, wrong! I went over to the Generation V Team Review, and they told me that, while my Mothra was good, I needed Psychic instead of that Hyper Beam because of the recharging on the second turn - it could ruin me!
So anyways, REPEAT the above steps until you have planned 6 good Pokémon. Then ask the people over at the Gen V Team Review what they think about it, and if you agree - follow they're advice. Be polite, follow the rules, and have patience. They're not machines - they're human's just like you (hopefully)! And be sure to thank your reviewer via PM! It lets them know that you truly appreciate their work. I know I do!

Step 2: Obtaining
I'm really sorry that Step 1 was so long, but it really is the most important part. I PROMISE you that this won't be as long...although it will still be pretty lengthy. So, where to start? Let's start with that there are 3 main ways to obtaining Pokémon - Catching, Trading, and Breeding.

Catching
Alright. In order for the other 2 methods of obtaining Pokémon to work - you need to catch Pokémon. We all know how to catch Pokémon, but some of you want to just catch the Pokémon skip the rest of this guide over to EV training. Don't. Do. It. You have to be EXTREMELY lucky to get the right Gender, IV's, Moves, Nature, etc.! Otherwise, all that planning from Step 1 will be a waste! So when catching Pokémon, you are only going to catch them for breeding or trading purposes. Remember that! So use the Psydex Locations to find your Pokémon in each Generation and migrate them over to your Black/White! Just for the sake of it, read sN0wBaLL's slightly outdated guide to Pokéballs and the Psypoke Guide for capturing Pokémon. You might learn something!

Trade
Trade using your friends/the GTS/WiFi/etc. Not that hard.
*B*O*N*U*S* - Trade with a foreign country! That way, when you follow the next method (Breeding), you'll have an increased chance of shininess due to the Masuda Method. Seriously, there's a increase to 1/1366 chance of a shiny if you do!

Breeding O.o
Couldn't help myself. Anyways, here's the deal. Breeding is very complex and complicated, but not so much that you can't understand it. Here's the most informative breeding guide, written by a Psypokian, one that I still use! It's a tad outdated, but no problem. The parts that I would like to add on or emphasize are that there are five main things to worry about when breeding:
1. Inherited IV's - These are Individual Values. They're actually not that complex, but I'm going to link you to a Individual Values Guide written by a Psypokian. However, this guide does not explain how this comes into play in breeding. When breeding two Pokémon, the baby Pokémon will inherit 3 random IV's. If you want to help pick the IV that it inherits, all you have to do is give it one of the EV Training items that corresponds to that stat. For instance, say you have a Volcarona with a high Special Attack IV. If you want to pass that on to the child, then all you have to do is give him (or her) a Power Lens (we'll cover EV Training items later in this guide)! It's that simple. The best part is, it can be EITHER parent - even a Ditto. That's why some people have different Ditto's with maxed out IV's in a certain stat - for easy breeding.
2 Natures - I've already explained what natures are, but they've got to be considered differently when it comes to breeding. Most breeding will take place between a Ditto and a Pokémon you want, and the baby will be the Pokémon you want (or a pre-evolution) with a random nature. But, there's a way to affect the nature that the baby will have - Everstones. Giving one of the parents an Everstone will increase the likelihood that the baby has the nature of that parent. To illustrate my point, let's imagine my favorite Volcarona, Mothra. Say Mothra had an Adamant Nature. Sucks to suck right? Wrong. What if you had a Ditto with a Modest Nature? Then, you give the Everstone to the Ditto and let them...breed, and you'll have an increased chance of a Modest Nature. That's why some people have a bunch of Ditto's with different natures - for easy breeding.
3. Gender
Okay, this isn't actually a big deal UNLESS: (1) You're playing Gold, Silver, or Crystal (2) You're using an Attract strategy (3) You're concerned about Nicknames...I know I am. Anyways, that's really it. Look up in the Psydex for Gender Ratios!
4. Egg Moves
Gawd! They just make this crap so complex...actually, egg moves are kind of simple. Remember - look at that guide I posted earlier! Use the Psydex to find out the Egg Moves of a Pokémon. One thing that the guide didn't mention was that some Pokémon need to be in the baby form in order to inherit the egg move. For instance, Roserade cannot learn Extrasensory as an egg move - only Budew can! That's really it for Egg Moves.
5. Abilities
Okay, it's officially TOO complex. Seriously, ABILITIES are involves now? That's right! However, don't fret! It's only Dream World abilities that are included. This is the MAIN thing that the Psypoke guide is missing. Hidden Abilities have a 40% chance of being inherited by the baby, but ONLY if two non-Ditto Pokémon are breeding and one of them has that Hidden Ability. It's not a big deal, but it's certainly worth mentioning, especially for those of you wanting to have a Hidden Abilitied Pokémon.

Alright, well that's really it for breeding Pokémon. Since most breeding will involve a Ditto, I've decided to link to this very handy Ditto Guide by The_Awesomeness. Once you've finished, we'll move on to Step 3: Training.

Step 3: Training
See, Step 2 wasn't THAT bad. Anyways, we're almost done! Now it's time to train - more specifically EV Training. Alright, Step 3 breaks down into 4 main steps: Hatching, Preparing/Using, Training, and Leveling.

1. Hatching
Hatching Pokémon is relatively easy compared to breeding- just look up the number of steps to hatch on the Psydex (this is like the 8th time I've linked to it - take a hint and use it! It's what Psypoke is famous for.), and then walk it. However there is a way to speed the process up - have a Pokémon with the Abilities of either Magma Armor or Flame Body in your party, and it will double the number of steps you take without actually doubling it. That is, if you have, say a Slugma (who, along with Magcargo, are the only Pokémon that can have either Flame Body or Magma Armor) in your party, you will only have to take half as many steps to hatch your eggs. The Pokémon with Magma Armor are: Slugma, Magcargo, and Camerupt. The Pokémon with Flame Body are Ponyta*, Rapidash*, Magmar, Moltres*, Slugma, Magcargo, Magby, Magmortar, Heatran*, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure, Larvesta, and Volcarona. [* = Dream World Ability]

2. Preparing/Using
Alright. Here's where it gets ridiculous. You're going to need a LOT of Vitamins, Wings, and the EV-Training Items. Wait until you have gathered everything to fully EV train one of your Pokémon. Trust me on this, you'll find out why later.
-Vitamins can be bought at Shopping Mall 9 on Route 9 for $9800 each or at the Battle Subways for 1 BP each. Each can be used a total of 10 times (except for PP Up/PP Max), but remember, total EV's must be less than or equal to 510!
Image HP Up - Increases HP EV's by 10 points
Image Protein - Increases Attack EV's by 10 points
Image Iron - Increases Defense EV's by 10 points
Image Calcium - Increases Special Attack EV's by 10 points
Image Zinc - Increases Special Defense EV's by 10 points
Image Carbos - Increases Speed EV's by 10 points
Image PP Up/Image PP Max - Increases PP for a move. DON'T GET THESE until much later, when you're fine-tuning your Pokémon.
-Wings can be found in the shadows of the Ducklets/Swannas on Driftveil Drawbridge and Marvelous Bridge
Now, unlike Vitamins, these suckers can be used unlimited amounts of times (until you reach 510 or run out)! However, they only increase a particular EV by 1 point. Awesome nonetheless.
*B*O*N*U*S* - Do this while trying to hatch your eggs. By the time they've hatched you'll have gotten at least 15 or 20 wings. You may occasionally get Pretty Wings (smaller, no effect on Pokémon), but you can sell these for $1000 to help afford the Vitamins. Two, or even three, Swannas with one stone!
Image Health Wing - Increases HP EV's by 1 points
Image Muscle Wing - Increases Attack EV's by 1 points
Image Resist Wing - Increases Defense EV's by 1 points
Image Genius Wing - Increases Special Attack EV's by 1 points
Image Clever Wing - Increases Special Defense EV's by 1 points
Image Swift Wing - Increases Speed EV's by 1 points
-EV-Training Items are items that you give a Pokémon to hold while EV-Training them. They can be found at the Battle Subway for 16 BP each, or a 21 victory streak! However, if you don't feel like using the Battle Subway to earn all those points, then you can use the Macho Brace (which doubles the EV's earned after defeating a Pokémon) that you get for free from a man in the Eastern gate of Nimbasa City instead. However, it is MUCH slower than using the items so beware. After defeating a Pokémon, the EV-Training Items (can we call them EVT Items from now on?) add 4 extra EV's of a certain trait ALONG with the EV's earned from battling that Pokémon! So if you defeat a Patrat with a Power Lens, you will get +1 Attack EV and +4 Special Attack EV's. Um...that's garbage. What you want is to battle Pokémon with an EVT Item that adds on to the EV's they give you. So, what you want to do is either battle a Patrat while holding a Power Bracer, which will give you +5 Attack EV's OR battle a Litwick while holding a Power Lens, which will give you +5 Special Attack EV's. The EVT Items are as follows:
Image Power Weight - After defeating a Pokémon, this will add 4 extra HP EV's along with EV's earned from battling that Pokémon.
Image Power Bracer - After defeating a Pokémon, this will add 4 extra Attack EV's along with EV's earned from battling that Pokémon.
Image Power Belt - After defeating a Pokémon, this will add 4 extra Defense EV's along with EV's earned from battling that Pokémon.
Image Power Lens - After defeating a Pokémon, this will add 4 extra Special Attack EV's along with EV's earned from battling that Pokémon.
Image Power Band - After defeating a Pokémon, this will add 4 extra Special Defense EV's along with EV's earned from battling that Pokémon.
Image Power Anklet - After defeating a Pokémon, this will add 4 extra Speed EV's along with EV's earned from battling that Pokémon.

3. Training
Now that you have all the necessary items, it's time to EV train. We'll use my trust sidekick, Mothra the Volcarona to help you understand the most efficient way to EV Training! Now, what did we decide all those words ago? We decided that Mothra would be a Special Sweeper, with 252 EV's in both Special Attack and Speed, with the remaining 6 going into HP. Let's start with the Vitamins. We'll use 10 Calcium (+10 Special Attack EV's each use) and 10 Carbos (+10 Speed EV's with each use) first. Now he has 100/252 Special Attack, 100/252 Speed, and 0/6 Defense. About that Defense...how about we use 6 Resist Wings to help get that stat to complete! There, now all we have to do is get 152 EV's for Special Attack and 152 EV's for Speed. Let's make those numbers a little more round. We'll use 2 Genius Wings and 2 Swift Wings to have 152/252 Special Attack, 152/252 Speed, and 6/6 Def. Now what about those two 150's? We'll that's where EV-Training come's in. Remember WAY back in the planning stage, where I showed you that link for sN0wBaLL's EV guide? You learned that all Pokémon give EV's when defeated. So, what you want to do is find low-leveled Pokémon and mass battle a certain number to get the EV's you desire. Now, you COULD use an online list of Pokémon with EV's, then search for those Pokémon to battle them...OR just use the following list:
->For HP EV's: Go to Icirus Moor and battle Stunfisk (100%) which will give you 2 HP EV's each time.
->For Attack EV's: Go to Route 1 and battle Lillipup and Patrat (100%) which will give you 1 Attack EV each time.
->For Defense EV's: Go to Pinwheel Forest and battle Swadloon and Venipede (70%) which will give you 1 Defense EV each time.
->For Special Attack EV's: Go to the Celestial Tower and battle Litwick (100%) which will give you 1 Special Attack EV each time.
->For Special Defense EV's: Go to Route 4 [Surf] and battle Frillish (100%) which will give you 1 Special Defense EV each time,
->For Speed EV's: Go to Route 1 [Surf] and battle Basculin (100%) which will give you 2 Speed EVs each time.
As you can see, most of these Pokémon occur 100% of the time. Only Swadloon and Venipede occur 70% of the time - but it's still a good rate. Also, most of these Pokémon give 1 EV! What does this mean? Well back to Mothra, he needs 150 Special Attack EV's and 150 Speed EV's. So, I give him the Power Lens and let him battle 30 Litwicks. Do the math: 30 Litwicks = 30 x (1 EV + 4 EV) = 150 Special Attack EV's! YAY! Now we do something similar for Speed EV's. We give my dear Mothra the Power Anklet [which confuses me...he has no legs] and let him battle 30 Basculin. There! Now he's got 252 Special Attack EV's, 252 Speed EV's, and 6 Defense EV's! Now all you have to do is do the same thing for your other 5 Pokémon! Was that so hard? And remember to SWITCH THE ITEM when you're training a different stat. I forgot to do that once and it messed me up! Be warned!
*B*O*N*U*S* - If your Pokémon aren't strong enough to battle these Pokémon (freshly hatched Pokémon are Lv.1), then leave them in the Daycare or use Rare Candies until they are a high enough level. DO NOT LET THEM BATTLE OTHER POKÉMON TO LEVEL unless they have the EV's you are looking for. You don't want to accidentally EV train them with the wrong stats would you?
*B*O*N*U*S* - Have you heard of Pokérus? You should. It's a "virus" that, when your Pokémon get it, automatically doubles the EV's earned. During my DPP post-game, my HM Slave Pidgeot got Pokérus, and it spread to my other HM Slave Bidoof, but unfortunately I had no idea what it was. It's completely legal, but you can't control who gets it first! However, you can spread it to other Pokémon! It's really, really, really helpful. For more information, see Psypoke's Official Pokérus page.

4. Leveling
Alright, well this guide is coming to a close (finally!). Now that you've EV-Trained all of those Pokémon and got them to where you want them, all you have to do is level them for both strength and learning strong moves, preferably to the high 70's or higher (Lv. 100 anyone?). To do this, you can battle WHOEVER YOU WANT. Now that you've EV Trained you don't have to worry about fighting the wrong Pokémon. Personally, I would battle the Elite 4/Cynthia/Morimoto/Rich Family/etc. Once you get you party to a high enough level and fine-tuned them with PP Ups and PP Maxes and TM's (or HM's...ugh), you're all set for the final step - Step 4: Enjoying.

Step 4: Enjoying
Now what? Do the Battle Subway until you're sick of it. PWN your friends. Enter in competitions even? Whatever you do, have fun and enjoy your dream team. And really, the reason words like "perfect" or "ultimate" haven't been used whole time is because there is no such way to have an ultimate or perfect team. All teams have flaws. The main point of this guide is to help you minimize those flaws! Enjoy!
{thunflora}
~Pegir

Character Count: 44,473

Old Advertisement:

Edits:
1 - Fixed some basic spelling/grammar mistakes and added a character count.
2 - Included information about Flame Body and Magma Armor along with a *B*O*N*U*S* Section on Pokérus.
3 - Added the é's in Pokémon, Pokéball, and Pokérus and gave a link to a well written Ditto Guide that I think people should read.
4 - Added a list of moves that I would recommend. Please go to the TechDex for more information on those moves.
5 - Fixed more mistakes, added a few moves to the Normal and Psychic (so many!), and added a few more links!
6 - Linked Fire moves!
7 - Linked Water and Ice moves. More to come when I have time.
8 - Linked Grass and Bug moves as well.
9 - Also linked Poison moves (and N/A's), with plenty more to come!
10 - Added my old advertisement that I used in my signature, just for kicks.
11 - Linked the Electric moves as well. I'll do a few more later.
12 - Linked Rock moves. I'll be doing more next week!
13 - For some reason, my dividers disappeared, so I replaced them with new ones. More are available at this site.
14 - Linked some Ground and Fighting moves. More to come!
15 - Fixed some grammar mistakes (embarassing...) and added more moves.
16 - Added attack links up to Fighting! Only 7 more left!
17 - Update page dividers, they got deleted haha.I shall update moves later since apparently, this guide is still useful (:
18 - Linked to Psychic Offensive
19 - Linked to Psychic Defensive and updated character count. I know i'm going really slowly but I just got a job and Skyrim beckons...haha I'll finish it eventually!
20 - My dividers disappeared (again), so I replaced them with new ones.
21 - Fixed some more mistakes and updated character count (:

Last edited by Pegir on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:56 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

well then, where do I begin... (I'e always wanted to say that :D )
First of all, the guide is VERY VERY detailed. You included multiple ways of training, and a bunch of links to hepful psypoke pages. You could have included a bit more about which Pokemon can have the Magma armour/Flame body ability though.. I liked the example with Volcarona. Is that your actual Volcarona?.

A few criticisms though. First of all, whats up with those pokeball abacus thingys? Another way to improve is to add about Pokerus' benefits

Overall, this is an excellent guide. This will really help a new guy (or an experienced one)

THELEGENDARY123: Proud Founder and Owner of the TL channel: Commited to bringing you the BEST pokemon banter of All time. PM thelegendary123 for availible positions!

Last edited by thelegendary123 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:17 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that, haha. I was afraid people would be like "tl;dr"...
Anyways, "those pokeball abacus thingys" are dividers to help further divide this guide. It's a lot of information, and I feel like if I didn't place an image in between each step, it would all blur...or something....
I did like your criticism though! I edited it, and added more information about Flame Body and Magma Armor! I also put in a *B*O*N*U*S* section about Pokerus. I included a rather sad story about my Pidgeot/Bidoof and my Pokerus ignorance.
I am confused about one thing though - you said that I only "touched" on the items that give more EV's, but I feel like I covered most, if not all, of the EV-Training items, at least I though so. In fact, the Power items are key in my EV-Training section, and the Vitamins/Wings are an important part as well. Did I skip something?

thelegendary123 wrote:
Overall, this is an excellent guide. This will really help a new guy (or an experienced one)

Thank you!
{thunflora}
~Pegir
P.S. Yes, I do actually have a Mothra Volcarona, if you go to that Gen V Team Rating Center I was talking about, you can see my team. I've done some HEAVY editing since I last posted it, but you can see what it used to be haha.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

This is a properly thorough guide. The first thing I thought about when I was reading it last night was "What about Pokerus?", but it seems that has been sorted already!

I really liked not only the bit about items that can help in EV Training, but the little icons next to them. It's so helpful to see what things look like in a guide.

Oh, actually, I tell a lie. The first thing I thought about was "OH MY GOD MY EYES! WHY SO GREEN?" But I guess that's just your thing ;)

"You don't sit down and write a wish list about the person you are going to fall violently in love with. It just doesn't work like that."

Stephen Fry

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

ClawsonExperience wrote:
This is a properly thorough guide

Thank you! That means a lot, because I was aiming for a thorough guide for both beginners and experienced.

ClawsonExperience wrote:
I really liked not only the bit about items that can help in EV Training, but the little icons next to them. It's so helpful to see what things look like in a guide.

I like the little icons too. It's helpful, and it's exactly why I put them it. Glad to see someone appreciates that!

Thanks for reading it! Happy training!
{thunflora}
~Pegir

P.S. - Lime Green is my favorite color!

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I liked the green used here.

Your post is very informative and detailed. And especially how you delt with the moves. If you could do more you can explain briefly the moves (ie. Damaging w/Flinch, Damagin only, Attack States rise, etc..); though it is already in my saved tabs ;) . VERY well done!

One thing to add. Your Ads is just epic. EPIC. I would give you the LEGEND ribbon for this.

Image Image Image Image Image Image - White
----------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image - OTeam

My Trading Thread (Closed)

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:14 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thank you for reading! As for you suggestion, I'm planning on actually linking each individual move to their respective Techdex page once I find the time. Oh and yeah, I'm pretty proud of my "ads". I hope to get more people that way!
I'd really appreciate if you guys gave me more suggestions and criticism. It can't be the "Ultimate Guide" without all of your input!
{thunflora}
~Pegir

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This helped so much! Thanks Pegir!

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

No problem guys, I'm glad this guide is still helpful almost a year after it's original posting!

{thunflora}
~Pegir

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:27 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hello there. Thanks for all the info. It made me want to start my own dream team

But, there are a couple of things I wanted to axe (get it?)

First question. A baby Pokemon may inherit 3 IV's from it's parents right? And if a parent is holding one of the items that increases the EV gain of the stat you want it to pass on, that stat's IV will definitely be passed on right? Now, what if both parents are holding that kind of item? Will the baby Pokemon inherit both or just one? (Example= a Ditto is holding a Power Lens and the other Pokemon is holding a Power Band. Will the baby inherit both the Ditto's Special Attack IV and the other's Special Defense IV or just one of them?)

Second. If a Pokemon evolves, will the EV's and IV's stay the same or be reset?

Third. If a Pokemon level's up through the use of EXP Share, will the Pokemon's obtained EV's count into the stat gain upon leveling up or does it have to beat a Pokemon and gain the EXP itself?

That's it for now. And again, thanks for all the info

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hey Karima! Welcome to Psypoke!

Haha yeah, let me answer the questions you just axel me! First off, yes, it will inherit both IV's along with two additional (randomly selected) IV's from both parents - both of which will NOT be one of the ones you chose, so their won't be a chance of it getting overwritten!

Secondly, IV's are with the Pokemon since hatching and stay with it for all eternity - you can't change IV's. EV's must be earned, but once they are, you can only remove them through the usage of certain berries from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Otherwise, yes both IV's and EV's stay the same and will NOT be reset.

Finally, EV's gained will be applied upon leveling up not matter how - whether from battling, EXP Sharing, or Rare Candy usage. So yes, they will count into the stat gain upon leveling up, and no, you don't have to have the Pokemon KO another to gain the EV's itself.

You're very welcome! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

{thunflora}
~Pegir

Edit: Can't spell "eternity" apparently. Excuse any other spelling/grammatical mistakes, I got home at 4:00 AM last night haha.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:54 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks a bunch. And thanks for the welcome. Now all I have to do is decide who I'm gonna use

And I love how Metagross is named "Fluffy", lol.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Excuse me Pegir. I've read other breeding guides and they said if both parents held a Power item, only ONE IV will be inherited, each having a 50-50 chance. So, how come you said that BOTH would be inherited?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:14 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Oh wow awkward. Sorry!

I was answering those questions from memory, I haven't played Pokemon in a LONG time haha. You're right then, but I'm pretty sure my other answers are correct! Also, remember I was tired that day, as I specified in the edit haha

{thunflora}
~Pegir

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Lol, gotcha. No problemo Pegir

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:53 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hi there. It's been a long time. I have another question on EV training. I was EV training a Ponyta, and it used Wild Charge to beat a Basculin. The Basculin fainted, but so did Ponyta. Does Ponyta still obtain the EV or not?

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hey!

If if didn't receive EXP, then it didn't receive EV's. Sorry man.

~Pegir

Sun May 18, 2014 1:57 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I see. Thanks for answering

Wed May 21, 2014 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]