It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Game with the best (and worst) poke sprites 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This is where you can post which games have the best and worst pokemon sprites!

For me, the best sprites were FR/LG. Even though it had R/S sprites for pokes 152-386, the sprites for pokes 1-151 were small but very goodly drawn and had neat details and proportions.

And for me, the worst sprites were HG/SS. I mean, those sprites had HORRIBLE proportions. And some of them looked rather pixaly.

And to show everyone what I mean:
Image--"Be prepared to be blasted into oblivion with my ultra-powerful psychic powers."
or
Image--"Fear my Kung-fu style and prepare to be chopped into pieces!"

'nuff said.

Tue May 10, 2011 7:19 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Shuckle-rock$ wrote:
For me, the best sprites were FR/LG. Even though it had R/S sprites for pokes 152-386, the sprites for pokes 1-151 were small but very well drawn and had neat details and proportions.

Fixed! Image

I think most people will agree with me that most of the sprites from Gen 1 were pretty dreadful, Yellow Version did a good job of "fixing" them, but just look at some of these things!
ImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Blastoise is fat, Scyther and Bulbasaur look like 'tards, Charmeleon apparently has a Diglett coming out the back of his skull, that thing doesn't even look like Moltres and Alakazam looks pretty freakin' derpy to me.

Wed May 11, 2011 3:12 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Worst: Gold, no decent sprites at all (only decent one i found: PIDGEY)
Best: BW, They no longer stand in one spot and do nothing for the entire battle.

sumo

PS infernape is awesome in every game {infernape}

Art page. I shall draw every single Pokemon and there is nothing you can do to stop meMUHAHAHA *ahem*

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@Shuckle-rock$: The HGSS one is better-looking to me. Really. Plus, the lines for shading are smoother.

For the most part, you can't really judge the sprites from ALL the generations this way. Look at the differences between Gen I-II and Gen III; with such a vast difference, Gen III wins every time, hands down. You also can't judge Gens I-IV against Gen V, simply because now they're animated. Additionally, between consoles, there's different capabilities, allowing for sprites to improve more and more (in some areas, at least). To me, it seems like the only thing you can actually compare these on are the poses they're in, which still doesn't apply to BW, as their poses are changing. So, every Gen has good sprites and bad sprites as can be compared with the other games in its Gen, but outside of that, it's really difficult to judge the merits of one over the other.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:49 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yellow Version, definitely. It had such a vast improvement over most of the sprites AND the sprites generally looked the best overall to me.

Image ===> Image
Image ===> Image
Image ===> Image
Image ===> Image

Some of my personal favorite sprites (without comparing them to RB) are: Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

A lot of RB sprites were pretty basic and seemed poorly drawn (but not really because it only the second set of sprites) and I think they did a great job at redrawing all of the sprites. Some of the sprites I didn't like however were Charizard, Blastoise, Clefairy, Dragonite, and Meowth. Not because I thought they were low quality, I just don't like their poses. Silver also had a great sprite line up (even better than Gold) but the colors are so bad and washed out due to hardware limitations! I'd like to see another game where the two main versions have different sprites, but with 649 Pokemon and counting that will probably never happen.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

/thread

But really, Yellow had by far the best sprites. The only disadvantage is that they were single color, so it hurt the few pokemon that had multiple colors, such as all green Bulbasaur

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]