It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 It's Super Effective! But Why? Your Thoughts! 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Frost wrote:
Water Pokemon are not water. They are beings that live inside of the water. Hence why I think why Poison should be strong against Water, and hence why Electric is strong against it too. Send a strong electric current through a fish tank and all of your fishies will die because THEY LIVE IN THE WATER just like Goldeen, Seel, Wailmer or whatever.

Agreed on the beings that live in water. Although, I think the thinking behind poison vs. water is that water dilutes poison, or something like that. Is there any resistances or strengths in that matchup?? (too lazy to look it up)

Fri May 27, 2011 2:09 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Water and Poison are completely neutral to each other. But, like I said before, Poison is such an awful offensive type that I'd let it be strong against Water despite the argument that water dilutes poison in real life. Because, even so, fish continue to die in the world today because their water has been polluted by humanity. It's essentially the same argument as how electricity doesn't do anything to the water, but it does do something to whatever lives IN the water.

I think it would be helpful if they could figure out what exactly they want Poison to be. Because venomous snakes and insects are different from piles of garbage and sludge, which are different than chemical acids, yet they're all lumped together as generically "poisonous" in this series. I get why Steel isn't weak against Poison - why should steel care about bug stings or attacks made out of "sludge" and "gunk"? Sure, they could make the moves that have the word "Acid" in them strong against Steel, but nothing else.

Fri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I actually did read this whole thing since i was bored! :P

and found some Super effectivities that MAY seem more logical than you actually think. At least that is my opinion.

Flying vs Fighting.. Well part of it may be that "catch a fly" thingy which someone mentioned higher up. But let us say that a bird who can fly ( not an ostrich :) ) is trying to kill you who are a fighter. Unnless you are a ninja, you can not hit the birs as much with your arms or legs while it's cicrling outside of your range. And it can even just fly away and strike your back when you don't know it is coming.

rock vs flying. If you make an airplane of paper, throw it up in the air and then throw a rock on it. The pilots of the paperplane will loose controll of it and crash it into ground.

Antoher example... A normal plane would most likely hit the ground soon if you are inside, and throws a rock out the window, which then hits the proppella... then craaaaaash.

and someone who should be super effective??
electric vs steel, which is not super effectie :S :? why??:O steel is a electrically conductive because it is a metall

water vs electric. yeah it should maybe be so, but lets think pokemon now. An electric pokemon with VoltAbsorb, surrounded of water, it would only power it self up with using its own attacks then. BUT yeah both water vs electric, and electric vs water should KO each other.

and something i wonder a little of... i know its stupid...

fire vs ice, is super effective right? but ice is just frozen and solid forme of water. So the ice should melt yes, that makes it super effective, but when it is melted. it is water, which is super effective against fire ;S :? so techically fire against ice should be suicide, for the fire.

Mon May 30, 2011 7:21 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:
Water Pokemon are not water. They are beings that live inside of the water. Hence why I think why Poison should be strong against Water, and hence why Electric is strong against it too. Send a strong electric current through a fish tank and all of your fishies will die because THEY LIVE IN THE WATER just like Goldeen, Seel, Wailmer or whatever.

{vaporeon} says hi. (What? Vaporeon can become water.)
But I finally see the point being made. I still believe the system is a little messed up, seeing as steel is also a conductor. And if a being is swimming in steel when electricity is sent through it, the being will die. So Electric should be SE against Steel, too.
Edit: Swimming in steel...how did I not see that I wrote that? Never mind...

Mon May 30, 2011 7:27 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Haha...swimming in steel. I missed this place.
Anywhooooo...I completely see now why Steel pokemon aren't weak to Electric (which was my original case). However, as Frost said; Poison can be counted as anything from bug bites to piles of trash or even deadly chemicals. My only problem is Fire. Expose any of these to Fire and I guarantee they won't be too happy about it.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I thought of something that sort makes sense for flying > fighting. You know the saying fight or flight maybe thats a way of saying that its better to be a chicken and run away then fight someone? Then again the whole point of Pokemon is to make them fight so maybe but it sort of makes sense right?

3DS FC (Pokemon X) 2595-0552-0873

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not taking anything i said back i stand by what I originally posted and now that we've established that water types means beings that live in water to do my best to explain why water resists ice is because of water's strange chemical properties most notably ice floats on water. allowing the lifeforms below to go about their merry business I'll grant you that some living fish and mammals have to migrate to avoid the cold and that less oxygen in the winter may mean that northern fish and mammals slow down a little but water does not have an effect on sea life

To explore the fire vs. poison relationship more, and to clean up a mess I made. I understand how heat can catalyze a reaction and make it move forward faster and put energy in to a reaction. I also see how sometimes chemicals can be toxic in gaseous form so putting heat into them won't really affect anything I understand why fire is neutral to poison and vice versa.

now I get dragon vs. Dragon Reptiles being predators towards other reptiles.

Let me ask this question Why isn't Fire super effective against an electric type? and if not super effective not resistant to electricity. I've always thought it was weird that fire was only neutral towards electricity to explain my train of thought on this. My first example is a simple light bulb eventually all light bulbs Burn out what about and my second case is appliances and motors these things can overheat sometimes easily. There is always heat produced by the resistance in any circuit. Too much heat in a circuit will cause a short. Heat tends to cause a strain on wires and the like and with out insulation said wires would eventually split because of the aforementioned heat going through them caused by the current thus they need to insulate wires. heat is a by-product of an electrical current traveling through some sort of medium (unless said medium is a "superconductor"). Also, think about it You need energy to power anything electrical well that energy is created by heat. By the same token, heat will eventually cause said electrical thing to malfunction.

Interpret this how you will but no matter what it is something to think about.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I see what you mean Aquadude; Electricity and Heat work together in some way all the time, so they ideally should have some sort of strength/weakness over the other. I don't think that Fire should definitely be SE on Electric though; Like you said, electricity is created by energy in the form of heat, so maybe heat could be helpful to electricity. But I agree that they shouldn't be neutral.

Also I've never understood why Fire is SE on Steel, but NVE on Rock. Rock melts before Steel...

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hi, huge bump, but this is my thread and what I'm adding is relevant, and I'd rather keep this thread than make a new one.

dry wrote:
Also I've never understood why Fire is SE on Steel, but NVE on Rock. Rock melts before Steel...

It goes Rock > Fire since rocks (and dirt) can douse out fire, hence Rock > Fire and Ground > Fire.

And I'm assuming Ground > Rock since dust erodes rock, right? But by that logic wind based attacks should be able to be effective against rock. (That's why I think there should be a Wind Type ._.)

Also, linked from the Facebook page:

It makes perfect sense. Fear of bugs, ghosts, and the darkness.

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, first of all steel and maybe normal should be weak against electric, as they are both good conductors. And I agree with Frost on the water vs poison thing, but I think that water should be super effective against poison as well. I mean, if you were a pile of sludge, would you like to get wet?
What I don't get is the weakness of dark to bug. The only good reason I can think of is that they couldn't find better matchups!

Credit to DragoBoy for the banner!
The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed!

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Electric= 0X on Ground.
No idea why it deosn't work. Actually, the lightning hit the ground... and burn it. There is alot of minerals into the ground (Iron and some kind of metal) that draw lightning. It also happen on sand. Actually... no idea. :?

What do you think?

Ps. Guys... plz stop writing red. I actualy have a little eye problem that make red flashing like ** and hurt my eyes... sorry :(

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I could be a major dick right now and only write in red, but I won't. Anyways, have you ever seen ground burn from lightning strikes? No. Have you ever seen Grass burn from lightning strikes? Yes. There's your reason.

Goodbye
"

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
I could be a major dick right now and only write in red, but I won't. Anyways, have you ever seen ground burn from lightning strikes? No. Have you ever seen Grass burn from lightning strikes? Yes. There's your reason.

Hmm... Metal and rock can burn, you know?
Some good examples are aluminium, magnesium, coal.
So yes, I've seen ground burning. ;)
And if you remember, dirt is all organic, so yes it burn.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

GhostPony750 wrote:
Samurott wrote:

Hmm... Metal and rock can burn, you know?
Some good examples are aluminium, magnesium, coal.
So yes, I've seen ground burning. ;)
And if you remember, dirt is all organic, so yes it burn.

For once, I'm going to go against everything I've ever done and side with Samurott on this one. When lightning hits the ground, it diffuses into the ground, thus the term "grounding" electricity. Yes, certain minerals are able to burn, but often at very high temperatures. Dirt would also not catch on fire if struck by electricity; it would get very hot, but dirt isn't a combustible material, and neither is sand.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The end is near! Twist agrees with me!
Anyways, now that someone drew my attention to it, I think that GP just got confused between lightning and fire. Sand does get heated, but I don't think it just burns. Why? Sand, when heated to high temperatures, turns into glass. Dirt isn't combustible. I've never seen dirt catch fire as long as I can remember (which is a time equivalent to 14 years). However, lightning is a cause of fire. Like said previously, have you ever seriously tried to take down a tree with lightning, or see if it's possible? No. However, trees burn. Lightning is said to be as hot as the sun. Which means that it can cause a fire in the right circumstances, but fire does the damage of which you think, GP.
Always remember: If you set someone on fire, they will die if they don't put it out. If you try to electricute someone, they may not die. Fire is practically stronger then electricity.

Goodbye
"

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Samurott wrote:
The end is near! Twist agrees with me!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Psychic and Flying being super effective to Fighting has always made sense to me. Psychic is almost like flying to fighting-types. They are good at physically attacking, and blocking physical attacks. There's no way that, say, a Primeape can defend against a mind attack. It's almost like a direct attack in Yu-Gi-Oh.

Image (by Ender)

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I still don't get the whole bug vs dark thing. But when it comes to electric vs grass? What happens if a tree gets thunderstruck? "It's not very effective"?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I don't get how fighting is supereffective against dark, but fire isn't.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah, why?
The fear of the dark is actually the fear of the unknown, so how does fighting beat dark? I guess, maybe, in a metaphorical sense, fighting is strong and brave, so I guess that works? I dunno. My brain is starting to hurt.

Goodbye
"

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:55 am
THE POWER IS ON!

"Dark" in the English Pokemon games is in the metaphorical sense, not the literal one. In Japan the type's name is closer to "Evil" so, with that definition, the type being weak against heroic Fighting-types and taking neutral damage from illuminating Fire-type moves makes more sense.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:53 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, if dark is actually evil, then I'm even more in the dark. Say, if I'm a bad and evil guy, why should I be afraid of some stupid little insects?!

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Dark feeds on fear. Insects are too stupid and hive-minded to be affected by good or evil, so they overcome dark's evil and do lots of damage.

Image (by Ender)

Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, that makes sense I guess. After all, it's not like bugs completely resist darkness. They can simply hit it. But ghosts probably feed on fear as well. So why is ghost resistant to bugs? Aw, my head is spinning...

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Eh, for some type match-ups you just have to not put much thought into it because Gamefreak clearly didn't either. They have to try to maintain this illusion of an even type chart so that's probably why there's a few type match-ups in the interest of game balance that make people go "Huh??"

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next