1/5 - Worst Pokemon Games 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
2/5 - Bad, but Not the Worst 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
3/5 - Average 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
4/5 - Good, but Not the Best 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
5/5 - Best Pokemon Games 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

How does BW stack up to you? 
THE POWER IS ON!

I am of the opinion that BW is boring as hell and to me it seems obvious because people on these forums were talking more about this game last year, before it got released in Japan, than now that we have it out in English. I've never seen these forums so utterly complacent after the release of a new set of games - Sinnoh Region, for example, was MASSIVELY active after the release of DP. In Unova Region right now, though, there's like two topics that get posts with any amount of frequency, namely the questions thread and the Dream World thread, and other than that, it's like tumbleweeds are blowing through.

I gave it a 2/5, and only because the new Pokemon are cool, there's connectivity with the old games/old Pokemon are available, and there's Wi-Fi. Seriously, those are the only reasons why I'd put BW ahead of RSE. Other than that, I so would not even care enough to finish this game eventually if I didn't have to do it as part of finishing the walkthrough (which will happen as soon as this terribland game can inspire me enough to play it and write a guide for it without putting me to sleep after five minutes). The BW TCG base set was more exciting to me than the release of the English versions of these games. Yeah, I went there.

Vote in the poll and then try to convince me otherwise because I so do not get it. PLEASE. If you'd like, you can even vote on the poll as if it's relative to the other main series games, with 5/5 meaning that it's the best of the five, 4/5 meaning that it's better than all but one of the games, and so on.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I gave it a 3/5. Wifi looks exciting, if it was available to me. Breeding these new pokemon and until I can trade them all into a new game with my bestie, that will keep me entertained, battlewise. Not looking forward to the story again, probably be bashing the A button until it's already over. I'd be playing DP again if it weren't for the new pokemon I want to try out.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:33 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

It was way disappointing. The storyline was garbage and the game was...ew. I can't even compare it to Diamond & Pearl because they were so much more superior. I can name very few things I liked about Black & White besides the new Pokemon (I love the new generation of Pokemon) and a few of the towns.

So sad, DPP & HGSS were sooooo much better. I'd go back to playing the older games, but I'd miss the new Pokemon. :( I voted for 3 in your poll, but that's being really nice to this game. It's more like a 2.5 rounded up.

DPP > HGSS > GSC > RBY > BW > FRLG > RSE

Generation 5 can only get worse if they remake RSE, they were by far the worst trio. Generation 5 could actually be worse than Generation 3, but I doubt it.

Fri May 20, 2011 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I gave it a 4/5.

To be honest I did like the story. I found N to be fascinating and sorta felt sorry for him in the end. The new pokes do look awsome. There wasnt really anything game wise that I disliked.

What I really like is the random match up simply because I am FINALLY able to battle HUMAN opponets (for some strange reason Pal-Pad doesnt work for me).

And still being honest. I really cant give any pokemon game a 5. Gen 1-2 LACKED a story (why all of the sudden we are fighting an evil organization?????) Gen 3 had the WORST TEAM(S) EVER and you needed to own 3 game just to complete the dex. And for Gen 4, I could only us the GTS as the Pal_pad didnt work (and still doesnt).

Fri May 20, 2011 6:47 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i gave it a 5/5 on the poll although i ment to give a 4/5 beging im falling asleep in school it was good and i like the new pokes but the story line was realy lacking somthing.

Fri May 20, 2011 8:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I gave it a 3.

I love the new Pokemon they brought out in this generation. Definitely my 3rd favourite set, not too sure if I like them more than the Heonn pokes though.

May qualm was the story, whilst I appreciate the effort Gamefreak went to to try and beef up the story side of it more but endless gibberish sprouting from the mouth of some ten pixel high sprite isn't exactly what I call engrossing.

RBY > RSE > BW > GSC > DPP

Fri May 20, 2011 9:43 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I gave it a 2/5. I found this game in general to be very lacking and almost agree completely with Krisp on the order of my favorites. Good things about this game, I did truly admire the work they put into the gyms. They were somewhat exciting and fun to move around in... but this was probably the only thing I found exciting except for the pokemon in general. I did like the new pokemon, but while the names have always been somewhat uncreative I found the ones in this generation to be the most lacking. The wi-fi features they added, while good in concept, seem really lame in action. I would peg my favorites in this order

DPP > HGSS > RBY > GSC > FRLG > BW > RSE - I find myself playing through Diamond for the 100th time rather than play my fresh white version.

Pros: Cool Gyms, nice pokemon typing, wi-fi battles, and re-usable TM's

Cons: Storyline, Pokemon Sprites, Character Sprites, city layouts and map layout, missing features from previous games (re battle the gym leaders, etc.) starter stats seem really out there, awful dialogue, and a number of other things but I will not go on a rant.

Fri May 20, 2011 10:29 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I gave it a 3. There's nothing that really makes or breaks the game for me, its all little things. of course, i haven't finished the game, but i've been reading forums / watching my friend play so i know most of it. my favorite gen is still RSE, its just missing all the wifi stuff. hopefully we'll see a remake :P

Pros
everstone trick now works with foreign pokemon so i can get 50% nature AND increase chance at shinies
battle tower judge tells you all the max stats at once
i like most of the new pokemon
you have to complete the game multiple times to get through the whole story
GTS / pokemart / union room in all pokecenters
you can trade anywhere (i really like not having to run to the pokecenter every time my friend wants to trade me something)
old pokemon with new abilities via dream world
poison doesnt kill you outside of battle
Audino. the best thing in leveling since sliced bread.
the exp split is also nice when training up some new pokemon to fend for themselves.
healing people stationed in forests / deserts
being able to chain feed items. makes rare candy-ing to 100 so much faster.

Cons
no cute pokemon following me around everywhere anymore (my fave HG feature)
everything appears to be set when you pick up the egg from the day care man, no more SRing for IVs. T_T
not really a fan of the entralink missions
no secret bases (i miss the RSE ones where i could fight my friends teams)
no ribbons or contests (except the musical which i dont really like)
I don't really like the story in this Gen
the E4 should be a little more balanced. Looks like you can wipe most of them with just dark and fighting pokes.
I haven't noticed a level 100 battle over wifi so far. maybe i haven't unlocked it... if it doesn't exist it goes under cons. i liked being able to IV check with the lvl 100 battles.
no pokewalker. i know DW is the equivalent, but i liked the pedometer better. got 12K steps everyday just from my marathon training, didnt have to waste an extra hour everyday sitting on my butt.

Fri May 20, 2011 11:43 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Now that I'm not being lazy, I will type up a decent list of things I liked or disliked about these games:

Pros:

- New Pokemon, I love them. Gigalith, Roggenrola, Galvantula, Joltik, Jellicent, Lilipup, Stoutland, Oshawott, Samurott, Snivy, Bravery, Rufflet, Pansage, Panpour, Excadrill, and many, many more.
- The towns are beautiful, especially Castelia City.
- Random matchup and WPA2 capabilities were much needed additions.
- Reusable TMs, it's about time!
- I love the new Pokemon Centers, they should have done that a long time ago.
- The revamped EXP system is good. I like it.
- You don't need the national dex to transfer older Pokemon to a new game, you just have to meet trading requirements (get the first badge.) This is very cool for when I want to play through the game with a random team.

Cons:

- No Vs. Seeker. Why are features removed?
- You have to hold a button to run again. Again, when has simple convenience become obsolete?
- The new TMs. They suck, all of them.
- No move tutors.
- No Battle Frontier.
- I hate Burgh, such an insult to my favorite type. :( I also wanted to see a female Bug type gym leader (which probably will never happen now)
- The gym leader and elite four types are very disappointing. I, like everyone else, wanted to see a Dark-type gym leader and Flying/Rock/Steel/Normal elite. Even ONE of those would be cool.
- Triple Battle is as dull as Double Battle was.
- The story is complete garbage. By the time I got Aunt Jemima's badge, I stopped reading the story. I just mashed A until I didn't see anymore text.
- No Pokeathlon, instead we have contests back again (or musical, same thing.)
- So why did they get rid of ribbons again? Sure, it was kind of gimmicky, but I liked showing off my Pokemon with generation 3 ribbons!

I can't wait to illegally download buy Pokemon Grey, I hope it's as much of an improvement as Emerald was over RS.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Also, since we're doing that whole "rank the games relative to each other" thing:

DPP > GSC > RBYFRLG > BW > HGSS > RSE.

I don't have any hope for Gray and I probably won't play it, just like I didn't play Platinum nor Emerald. Oh, and RS remakes will only cement Generation V as the lamest one ever.

Also, I am so over Gamefreak nerfing the first two games just so they can add in a bunch of "extra" features in the third version and remakes that should have been in the first games. I know they're a business, but they need to stop being so goddamn greedy, since I'm sure the first two versions and their various adaptations alone give them enough money to swim through. Removing useful features like the VS Seeker is NOT going to entice me to buy Gray; it's just going to make me not even want to bother finishing BW.

Fri May 20, 2011 12:30 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I gave them 2/5.

While I think the Pokemon are OK (about as good as the Hoenn ones), and the story was decent, a few things make the games a lot worse. The main thing is that Unova is WAY too linear. If Black City/White Forest didn't connect to Nimbasa, the entire region is basicly a line. There's no sense of exploration. That was one of the few things RSE did right. At times in those games, I actually felt like I was trapped in a cave maze, stranded in a rainforest, or lost at sea. There's none of that in B/W. Also, Dive is a joke now.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri May 20, 2011 2:00 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I don't have any hope for Gray but it comes with less of a good reason & that is that it will be on a system I cannot play that is notably expensive regardless of the technology it possess...

Pokemon Black & White was good enough & better then Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald Versions alone but here is what I liked & didn't like about the game I guess;

1. Enemy Characters = even though they aren't as noticeable as in previous games besides N & Ghetsis(?), they were still pretty well done & Ghetsis is the only 1 I actually found to be cliche & very unlikable but he still worked for the story well so...

2. Character Designs = Very well done even compared to any 1 Generation before it, I hope they continue to go on this path in the later Generations...

3. Mascot Legendaries = Both have rather unlikable designs to me but I like probably everything else about them...

4. Elite 4 = Liked not having to train for them I mean, even though I did I ended up out leveling them because of it & also because of this I don't mind having to train so much for their 2nd Encounter...

5. Less use for HMs = I really, really liked not having to use more then a single HM in the entire story portion of the game though my only complaint regarding this is that I still had to use that 1 HM at that 1 time, it is just not necessary to teach the players how to use HMs during non optional parts of the story I feel...

Dislikes
1. Story = It was being shoved in my face too much & even if I was the age of any minor, I would still hate the story for this very reason I mean it even knocked the characters personality rankings down a peg, that's how bad it was...

2. Pokemon = Too many of them either looked hideous compared to previous Generations or have little to no real appeal otherwise, I mean did you see how many of them have garbage learnsets?...

3. Season Organization = The season's have too little impact on what happens in the game & effects too little of what it does effect...

4. The Lack of compensation for moves that use to be TMs or lack of MTs in general = Why is it that they could add some MTs in these games, especially considering that they dropped so many good TMs this Gen like Stealth Rocks, etc...

I was being lazy so that isn't everything either way but umm, I would regardless of all the negatives & even the positives give this game a 4/5, the fact of the matter is that it is still more enjoyable them anything from Gen III or Gen I & I am only playing Pokemon Black currently so :| ...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well since everyon else is listing pros and cons, I might as well since I gave it a rather High score.

PROS:

1) N, proably on e of the few pokemon chars with a GOOD backstory.

2) The new pokes. Honestly if thsi wasnt a pro I would even still be playin it.

3) The new type sets. Can anyone say Ferrothorn??

4) DW. Yeah the games are designed for 10 year olds, but the DW abilities are totally woth playing them.

5) The Y button. I LOVE not having to go thre the bag to get the key items.

6) The expanded WIFI.

7) Reusable tms. FINALLY I get a bit more involved in making movsets and not hav to woryy about how many TMs I have.

CONS:

1) C GEAR/ENTRALINK. BOTH USELESS. I cant find ANYONE.

2) NO ITEM STORAGE IN THE PC BOX. WHY WHY WHY, do I have to lug all that stuff around

3) VS Seeker. With out lvling up is a PAIN.

4) Gettin a poke to lvl 100 is now pointless unles you hav peopl in your pal-pad who do lvl 100 battles.

5) IT TAKE FOREVER TO FIND SOME ONE TO BATTLE IN RANDOM MATCH_UP. Serioulsy I can wait for up to AN HOUR befoer I t finds someone , either that or and ERROR occurs...

6) PAL- PAD STILL DOESNT WORK FOR ME!!!!!!!

An in terms of game likablility (best to leat)

BW/DPPT-> RSE-> RBY/GSC

Fri May 20, 2011 3:49 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

If I weren't forced into a whole-number scale, I'd say around 3.5 or 3.75/5, but for the sake of this poll I'll say 4/5.

* Some of my favorite designs, including the Joltik, Darumaka, Sandile, and Sewaddle lines.
* I do like that they showed the Gym Leaders as being more involved with running Unova instead of just being shut in their Gym all day.
* They just GIVE YOU THINGS. No hunting Chanseys for hours on end to get one Lucky Egg, Juniper just gives you one midway through the game, and you can get more from one of the NPCs in the post-game. Saved me a hell of a lot of time.
* Infinite TMs
* No need for HM slaves, other than Fly, Surf and Waterfall to get around. Strength becomes useless once you've pushed all of the stones into their pits, you barely need Cut, and Dive is only used in the Abyssal Ruins, which becomes useless once you've recovered all of the items from it.
* Sprites. I certainly like the animations now, and also the fact that there is a visual sign that they have a status ailment other than the note next to their health meter.

Eh:
* The plot. I appreciate that they tried to have a plot, and I don't think it was as horrible as some people seem to. I did sort of like N's story of being manipulated to think Pokemon trainers were cruel so he would strive to free their Pokemon. That said, the 'I'm gonna dupe everyone into releasing their Pokemon so I can be the only one to have them' thing could've been thought up by a five-year old.
* Seasons. While it's a nice idea, the only one that makes any sort of difference is Winter, and that only makes a couple of new areas accessible and makes a couple of areas snow. The other three seasons are varying shades of green and brown.
* Dream World. As I don't have online capabilities at the moment, I can't rate this as good or bad based on my own experience, so it's in this section.

Dislikes:
* The region is WAY too linear. Take a look at Sinnoh and Unova and where the Gyms are located:
ImageImage
Straight lines to every Gym, with occasional meanders to take care of whatever plot development comes up.
* Encounter rate is too high, although I appreciate that they removed the rate increase from running.
* White Forest. Although I realize these games are designed for Japan, where everyone has a DS with Pokemon, I still have the right to be slightly unhappy when one of the biggest ways to capture non-Unova Pokemon is dependent on meeting people in the real world with the opposite version.

Sat May 21, 2011 11:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I finally got white, and have just beaten Elesa. So far, the game is about 4/5 (I mostly went by the descriptions next to the numbers; it's really more like a 3.3-3.6 or something like that). I really like a lot of the new Pokemon, such as Denchura, Haxorus, Samurott, and Zebstrika. Plus, the animations are pretty interesting, especially how when the Pokemon are asleep they actually close their eyes. The new experience system takes a bit of getting used to, but I found that if you plan right, it can actually be a hell of a lot easier to train new Pokemon.

So far, the story is mediocre; nothing too great, nothing too bad. I also dislike having to battle two rivals between gyms. It's kinda annoying how they ALWAYS show up just when you're ready to move on. I didn't notice what Flaming Wuzzle said until I looked at his map, and I completely agree; there were probably a few different ways they could've done that. Other than that, nothing in particular seems bad/only decent to me; I don't have online capability, so I don't know what that's like.

As far as how I would rank the generations (save Gen I, because I never got to play it):

4>5>2>3

Generations two and three were kinda on par with each other (awaits getting stoned). The improved graphics in three were a plus, plus the whole sentimentality factor; but gen 2 had some bomb games. I didn't particularly like DP (haven't played Pt), but HGSS definitely made up for it, I thought. Honestly, after I finish White, 5 will probably move to the top of the list, if there's enough to do; if not, it will probably drop.

...that's all I got to say about that....

Sat May 21, 2011 7:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I gave it a 4/5. It didnt impress me as much as DP did, but I guess its hard to beat worldwide interaction. I love the DW though.
I like the new Pokemon, but I dont like how some of them cant be shiny, I dont understand the logic behind that. Yeah it stops people thinking hacked ones are legit, but what about the other 600+ Pokemon?

I hate the encounter rate. I have a constant supply of repels.

I like the everstone thing where you can use it on the male or female too. Overall, theyre great games imo.

Too lazy to make a pro/con list.

Sun May 22, 2011 7:50 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I waffled back and forth between 3/5 and 4/5. There were several things I didn't care about with this game, but on the positive side; I like a LOT of the new pokémon. Overall, I liked where they went with the story. Some good areas to explore and level up your team and, like others, I found the gyms to be a lot of fun. One very small thing I liked was having the shop right inside the Pokémon Centers. Being able to trade without having to go to a Pokémon Center. Several other things available via wifi have helped push this up to a 4.

Dislikes; Team Plasma's uniforms look stupid. (Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but they really do.) While the story was good overall, some of the dialog was rather silly. There's other things, but I'll have to think of them after I've had some sleep. :)

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]