It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 shots, blood drawn, needles in general 
Lite Four
Lite Four

OK so I went to the doctor a few days to get my 3 month check up for a condition I have, and they informed me that I needed a blood test done. I began to feel extreme anxiety because I have what is probably a phobia of needles. I couldn't take it, I started crying because I was that scared. >_> Yes, 22 years old. I only remember getting a few shots, and they are:

a shot to enter kindergarten
a shot to prevent chicken pox (and I never got chicken pox)
a shot to enter 7th grade, required by the state

I also had a swine flu vaccination, but that was a shot of fluid up my nose. I never had blood drawn - this was my first time. I just couldn't take it, all the old people in the waiting room were probably laughing at me as I went in and out of anxiety attacks. I had noone to hold my hand. :'(

I guess it wasn't that bad, but they bruised me!!! (public bathroom ftw.)

How many shots etc. have you had? Are you deathly afraid of needles too? :(

Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't really have a fear of needles; I used to when I was a kid. Usually, I'd tear up afterwards (maybe I cried when I was really young, but I can't remember, lol). I've had a lot of effin' shots, though; probably about 20 or so. And I'm only 16 ;( Still don't really like them, though.

One of my friends, however, actually likes shots; I guess her mom is a nurse, so when my friend was little and her mom was training to be a nurse, she had to practice giving shots, and who better than your kids to practice on?? So, yeah, kinda twisted, but pretty funny overall.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I'm a human pin cushion. I would guess that there's a needle inside of my body probably close to 1000 times per year.

Most blood tests don't bruise unless the person doing it sucks, BTW.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:14 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh man I am SO creeped out of needles! Just the idea of injecting something into your blood stream makes me feel queesy just thinking about it.

I mean, swallowing a pill or something is completely fine with me. But anything that pricks your skin- no. :? :? :?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:26 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I don't have the phobia of them that I used to have but I still don't trust a soul that tries to put 1 in my body anywhere...

Especially after that douchebag doctor basically stabbed me in the arm 3 times to get blood which means he/she(I don't remember, whatever) was doing it wrong due to what I believe was laziness by the way it was done...

It went JAB!, JAB!, JAB! & I was like OMF :frustrated: pent up frustration!...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I'm... Right Here, Right Now, Right Here, Right Now...
I had loads of blood taken while I was on medication, a mild Immunosuppressive, for a couple of years so I had to have blood taken regularly to make sue the white blood cell count wasn't too high or low.

I'm not a big fan of needles, not afraid of, but I can't watch them go in. Find someone you are comfortable with and talk to thembeforehand which might lower your anxiety levels, probably best to not look at first but looking might help in he long run. You could ask for a numbing agent if you are worried about the pain. Also are the using a traditional syringe or the vacuum blood collection equipment? Might be a bit less intimidating if it was the latter.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I avoid shots as much as possible, because I share your affliction of being deathly afraid of needles. Really the only shots I can remember are.

A shot to help with strep throat.
A school mandated swine flu shot.

I have had some blood drawn. When I got my deviated septum corrected and had my broken nose fixed they needed to take a blood sample, I just about cried and just looked away while they did their work. On the day of the surgery I had to have a needle jammed into me for an IV. That wasn't fun because for some reason it burned like hell for a minute.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:01 pm
The Geek
The Geek

I don't like needles, but I get a flu shot every year, and I've had blood drawn once to make sure my cholesterol won't kill me before 30.

I'd prefer not to get stuck with a needle, but if it has to be done, it's not the end of my world.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

When I was little I got a fear of needles thanks to some :censored: new :censored: dang freakin nurse who JABBED me in the arms, my parents also blame this person for my fear.

That said, I take needles much better now at age 20. Yeah it still hurts and I do get nervous, but as long as I DONT see it being done (excpecially when it comes to blood work, I REALLY dont like the sight of blood, It rather geta shot then look at blood), im perfectly fine with (AN EXPERIANCED DOCTOR) doing the shots. The last needle Was a few months ago, when I passed out after waking up. (FYI, Im fine I just got out of the bed too fast, there is a long dcotor name for what hapend, but in simple terms, I as awake, But my circulitory systme was still asleep)

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:30 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Oh gawd I have a horrible phobia of needles. I've gotten a few required shots and a few bloodwork tests, all of which I broke down and tried to fend off doctors during. Srsly. Both parents and three nurses were hardly enough to keep a then-10-year-old down. :lol:

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I give blood twice a year because I have O+ blood type which is what blood type is wanted where I live. I used to be afraid of needles but now I am totally cool with them. They grew on me :P

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I just make sure to look away and dont think bout it. My school has a blood drive that I work at and donate every year (mostly to get out of class) so it doesnt bother me much. I usually bring my Game Boy and play Yellow while talking to my friends and before long the needles out and im wrapped up and ready to go.

Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

*shudders*

Basicly anything medical freaks me out. I'd get all queasy. That's why most of my hobbies take place indoors, I'm safer that way (and happier). Sports are dangerous.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]