It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Slower than a Slowpoke itself, this site is. 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Now this is really beginning to bug me. But... this site is running slow for me. And I mean REALLY slow.

And it's only this site in particular, because no other website (and my computer in general) gives me this problem. Is the site running this slow for everyone else, or is it just me?

I cleared my cache and cookies, and that made it go a little bit faster, but still not enough.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think it's because all the users are using the Psydex to perfect their Gen V teams. It'll probably get better in about a month.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:33 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Actually, it's the forums. I could speed the entire site up by several orders of magnitude if I just deleted the forums. They're causing about 90% of the slowdown.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The forums are the only thing that are running slowly for me. The actual site runs at normal speed most of the time; but the forums are the only thing that are going at Slowpoke speed. Is it because of all the visitors we have now? It seems like there's more people browsing the forums than before....

Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 pm
The Geek
The Geek

It's not that we have more visitors, it's that I can't find good settings for the server that can accommodate the fact that there's a really poorly written bit of code in the phpBB software that I can't change without serious repercussions. It slows down the actual website a bit too, because it's a part that deals with login information, which you'll see in the header of every page on the site, in addition to being used by the forums.

It's quite frustrating from my end, actually. I'll keep poking at it in my spare time, of which I will have very little for the next month.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Also, here's a little pro-tip:

Clearing your cache will NOT help ANY web site run faster. The cache is there to keep a local copy of Web site components like pictures.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:21 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have no trouble tih psypokes in the morning, but as the day goes on, it gets slower and slower, then it gets to the "internet exploer can not display the webpage" bit and I got to refresh.

For the record I know how hard it is to make a program run and how hard it is to make website work. In grade twelve we had to present our work in the form of a website. Not fun when it doesnt work. On the programing end, when I was looking into becoming a Video game programmer, or a programming for that fact. I downloaded an engine to try making games. Spell one thing wrong and the whole thing goes KAPUT.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]