It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 It's Super Effective! But Why? Your Thoughts! 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Have you ever wondered why the Bug types is stronger than the Psychic type? Or why the Psychic type is stronger than the Fighting type? Well wonder more! In this thread, post your thoughts on super and not so effective types. I don't know if there's already a thread for this, though.

~

Alakazam used Psychic!
It's super effective!
The foe Machamp fainted.

But why?

To me, the answer lies on a saying:

Brains over Brawns.

This saying means that intelligence is much better or useful than brawns, per se. With the Psychic type moves mostly give Smart appeal, it has more power than the Fighting type.

I'm not sure if this is the real meaning behind it though.

~

So, what do you think of the other matchups?

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:45 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

This seems like a pretty neat topic :)

One interesting thing I've always thought about is Ghost vs. Dark. Dark always rips Ghost apart. So why? I've always thought of it like this: Ghosts are essentially little bundles of spiritual energy, right? So what happens if purely negative energy ccomes along?? Since I think of spiritual energy as a positive thing, I always kinda think of the Dark moves kinda messing with that spiritual-stuff. Kinda cheesy, I know; but it's how I rationalize it, lol :P

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I've always thought that Dark is stronger than Ghost since, normally, a ghost comes out at night or when it's dark/gloomy. Without the Darkness, the ghosts usually disappears.

~

Exeggutor used Confusion!
It was super effective!
The foe Weezing fainted!

But why?

Psychic vs. Poison

Science.

Science helped create thousands of cures. Some of them are cures for venom. Hence, Psychic is stronger the Poison.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:36 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Type matchups that I call BS on:

-Dragon resisting Grass. I think the intent was that Dragon is supposed to resist the classical "elements." Except that it resists Fire, Water, Electric and Grass instead of Fire, Water, Flying and Ground. Fire and Water make sense because western and eastern dragons, respectively, are associated with those elements. Dragon really has no reason whatsoever to resist Grass, and so many things already resist Grass that Dragon would be the first thing I'd nerf.

-Steel resisting everything. It's completely broken and, more often than not, completely nonsensical. I get that they were trying to portray Steel as durable and sturdy, but how the hell does one quantify Steel being having a defensive advantage against "darkness"? Against "ghosts"? And more annoyingly, why does it resist Psychic when psychics train in bending steel spoons with their minds?

-Poison doing normal damage to Water and Fighting. I can understand the reasons for why Poison should and shouldn't be strong against these types. But Poison is super-nerfed and these would be changes that I'd make for balance issues. Water can dilute poison, sure, but poisons and toxins also pollute water and kill marine life, which almost all Water-types are. There's also not a super inherent Poison/Fighting connection, but I think that being poisoned would break a fighter's concentration. Instead of either of these scenarios, Poison just sucks. (As an aside, if I were in charge of the games, I would also have regular poison provide a Special Attack drop in the same way that burn provides an Attack drop.)

I justify Psychic's type match ups like this: Psychic beats Fighting for the "brains over brawn" thing and Poison for "mind over matter." As for its weaknesses, Bug, Ghost and Dark are all common human fears, and the intelligence of Psychic-type Pokemon makes them the most similar to humans out of the existing types. And if you want to be stereotypical, really nerdy people might be afraid of some of these things too.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I always figured that bug vs. psychic came about because many insect species tend to make noise, which would break a psychic's concentration.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:45 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I think the intent behind Dragon resisting Grass is so it resists all the starter types. How that explains electric, I dunno, since they almost definitly wouldn't have had Pikachu as a pseudostarter at that point, I guess they just threw it in for good measure. It could also be explained by the fact that the Eastern classical elements werent Fire, Water, Earth, Air; they were Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, Metal. Grass is obviously the Wood equivalent, Metal (Steel) didn't exist at that time, and I guess they didn't feel the need to have it resist Ground because the only fully evolved dragon at that time was Dragonite, a part flying type. Although, I think its more of the first reason - to resist the starters.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Personally, I thought Psychic i was weaker than Bug just for the lulz of it. Bug, the weakest type during Gen 1, and Psychic, the "strongest" type in Gen 1. It would make sense that the underdog beats the big guys. But, oh well. Frost's explanation makes ssense.

As for the Dragon > Grass thing, I agree with EvilPenguin. In the main series of Pokemon, Water, Fire, Grass, and Electric were the only types that were used for starters. But I don't get why the awesomest type, Ice, pwns Dragon if the Water Type isn't strong against Dragons. I'm just imagining Kyurem having a heart attack right now. :O

~
Bulbasaur used Vine -

Ugh. This is getting old. Imma cut to the chase.

Grass > Water.

But why?

To me, because plants need water to live, or "sucking the water" to live, Grass wins against Water. Imagine Squirtle using Water Gun on Oddish. Practically, the Water Gun is giving more power to Oddish, a plant-based Pokemon.

~

Water > Fire

I'm not even going to go over this.

~

Fire > Grass

Fire burns grass. Done.

~

Flying > Fighting

But why?

Hmmm. This is a hard one. Hmm. Maybe because most muscled people are considered as people who can't jump? IDK> That's streotypical...

Hmmm. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Hmmm Thats a tough one Maybe it has to too wit hthe fact that flyinmg types can hit there target from a farther distance?

Ice beats dragon

This is pretty simple. Dragons are lizards, which are cold blooded. For a lizard to be active it needs to be warm. When you cool lizards down they become inactive and dont really move.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:20 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

1. That seems a good theory. And maybe because of the muscle of Fighting types they have a harder time to move? Stereotypical, but its the only thing I could currently think of.

2. Oooh. So Kyurem is having a heart attack. 8D

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I always figured that Flying resisted Fighting because it's harder for a fighter to hit something that can fly away. Like, if I try to reach out and clap a flying bug in my palms to kill it, there's a good chance I'll miss because it can just fly out of the way. As for why Flying beats Fighting, I'm guessing it's just a balance issue, since Flying would only beat two pretty lame types otherwise.

For Flying's match-ups, we also do have to keep in mind that the type was originally known as "Bird" in beta and changed to Flying at the last minute. I feel the "Bird" thing also explains why Rock is strong against Flying, what with the "two birds with one stone" saying.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hmm. Slow reflexes? But aren't there fighters that have fast reflexes?

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:08 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

yes there are but I always thought it was a short range vs. long range thing
I've never understood Why dragon is super effective vs. itself could some one please expain that

I always thought bug resisting psychic was Because of the hive mind concept where they all think the same way. It much harder to manipulate a group than it is a single person also for the super effectiveness I assumed it would be because of the immense pain you'd feel after being bitten or stung would break your concentration.

Fire is neutral vs. poison but why isn't it super effective heat excites any chemical and makes it's molecules move faster making it expand if too much energy is put in the chemical may cause the container it is in to explode and about venom, venom is created by protiens some of which are enzymes and when it gets too hot the venom creating protiens denature and are irrevesibly damaged.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Now that you mention, short range vs. long range makes perfect sense!

[content]Now that we deciphered this mystery, how, and why, is Grass slightly resistant to Electric?[/content]

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sat May 14, 2011 7:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Have you ever tried electrocuting a tree?

Mon May 16, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

I don't get why Steel resists Electric (or EVERYTHING ELSE for that matter). Go outside in a thunderstorm with a metal pole and see what happens to you.

Thu May 19, 2011 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Krisp wrote:
I don't get why Steel resists Electric (or EVERYTHING ELSE for that matter). Go outside in a thunderstorm with a metal pole and see what happens to you.

Electric is neutral to Steel. It can conduct electricity, but it doesn't damage or destroy the metal.

I kinda wish Ice would resist water, seeing how most Ice pokemon consist of frozen water.

Also This needs posted: http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php? ... mic=081610

Thu May 19, 2011 4:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

MasonTheChef wrote:

Come on...I JUST came up with the 'punching the bird' one and then you post this! It seems as if every time I come up with something funny somebody else always beats me to the punch. Seriously.

Dragon does x2 on Dragons because dragons are always fighting in duels and stuff.

And Poison should be SE on Steel. After all, acid burns through metal.

And why does Rock resist Normal? I don't see any logic to it.

Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Because it's normal?? Honestly, the most normal thing that popped up in my mind when I read that sentence was a human (oddly enough). Then I thought of some random person trying to punch a rock.

It didn't work.

But then again, the whole punching thing wouldn't work as an argument for this, simply because that would be fighting, which is super effective (probably because of those martial artists who break cinderblocks with their hands and stuff).

Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I guess a human can't break a rock by running into it. Unless it's a very breakable rock. Hmmm.

I figured Game Freak just made a typo and Rock ended up resisting Normal. Makes enough sense that people can't destroy rocks by clumsily slamming into them.

Wed May 25, 2011 5:02 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, see now...

Imagine a Pokémon using Scratch or Tackle against something like... a Raticate or a Marill. Effective, right?

Now imagine a Pokémon using Scratch or Tackle against... AN ONIX.

Wed May 25, 2011 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That's what I'm talking about. Why shouldn't Scratch or Tackle do normal damage to a snake just because it's made of rock? I believe it would be easier to Tackle a rock than, for example, A GIANT FREAKIN DRAGON. And Sudowoodo (pure Rock) seems much easier to Scratch than, for example, GROUDON (pure Ground), yet Normal is neutral to Ground.
Now that I think about it, some types seems to have no rational explanation. Electric is strong against Water. Try dropping a computer into a pool. The pool will win, guaranteed. And why would Ground, in any way, be harmful to Poison. A man who was bitten by a venomous snake doesn't heal when an earthquake hits the hospital. In fact, the opposite happens: he'll probably be injured further by the quake. I think that some types can't be explained, and some that do have explanations need to be rethought.

Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Mr. Dude wrote:
Now that I think about it, some types seems to have no rational explanation. Electric is strong against Water[color=#FF0000].

These little two sentences just invalidated your whole long argument, in my opinion. Electric vs. water is one of the most LOGICAL because of the fact that water CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY. So rather than a computer, drop a... well, an electric radio into a bathtub with something organic inside. I'll guarantee that if the radio's plugged in (electricity) it's going to hurt whatever's in the tub.

Wed May 25, 2011 8:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

rex09 wrote:
Mr. Dude wrote:
Now that I think about it, some types seems to have no rational explanation. Electric is strong against Water.

These little two sentences just invalidated your whole long argument, in my opinion. Electric vs. water is one of the most LOGICAL because of the fact that water CONDUCTS ELECTRICITY. So rather than a computer, drop a... well, an electric radio into a bathtub with something organic inside. I'll guarantee that if the radio's plugged in (electricity) it's going to hurt whatever's in the tub.

Yeah, but what of the electrical device? If they wanted to make it correct, both the Water type and the Electric type would at least be SE against each other, like Ghost v. Ghost or Dragon v. Dragon. I just wanted to point out a major flaw in the otherwise-rational thinking.
And, to my knowledge, there is no Pokemon that's either a bathtub or something organic that lives inside said bathtub.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Mr. Dude wrote:
rex09 wrote:
Mr. Dude wrote:
Now that I think about it, some types seems to have no rational explanation. Electric is strong against Water.

Yeah, but what of the electrical device? If they wanted to make it correct, both the Water type and the Electric type would at least be SE against each other, like Ghost v. Ghost or Dragon v. Dragon. I just wanted to point out a major flaw in the otherwise-rational thinking.
And, to my knowledge, there is no Pokemon that's either a bathtub or something organic that lives inside said bathtub.

There's not a TV pokemon or a pool pokemon either. And if it's pure electricity versus water, then electricity wins every time. Because water is this little thing called a conductor.

Thu May 26, 2011 7:13 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Water Pokemon are not water. They are beings that live inside of the water. Hence why I think why Poison should be strong against Water, and hence why Electric is strong against it too. Send a strong electric current through a fish tank and all of your fishies will die because THEY LIVE IN THE WATER just like Goldeen, Seel, Wailmer or whatever.

Thu May 26, 2011 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next