It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cofagrigus can't be traded over GTS without a nickname. 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Sorry if someone has already covered this, as I haven't really been keeping up.

But yeah. Thanks to the censor that disallows people from trading Pokémon with offensive nicknames over the GTS, an English Cofagrigus isn't allowed to be traded to the GTS without nicknaming it first, as someone on another forum tipped me on.

Hilarious, ain't it?

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

lol

It's because of the fourth fifth and sixth letters right? (Am I allowed to say it on the fourms?)

That's too bad, in diamond I have a Regigigas named Regikick :censored: , I think that it would be banned too.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:03 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

[color=8040FF] It is because of the third, fourth, and fifth letters. Which really baffles me why they would give its English name what it is, especially since some people would find it offensive. Oh well people have their complete derp moments.
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Sorry if someone has already covered this, as I haven't really been keeping up.

hammythepig wrote:
lol

It's because of the fourth fifth and sixth letters right? (Am I allowed to say it on the fourms?)

I doubt that you could say it on the forums, but I wouldn't try it, as I myself find the word completely and horribly offensive.[/color]

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:50 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Thanks for the info. What a fail.

Act Like you know.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Are we seriously suggesting that you can't trade a Cofagrigus because it has the word Fag in it?

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 am
THE POWER IS ON!

That is exactly why.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

*Face Desk*

So a Word thats actual definition is to become tired due to hard work (although admittedly this definition has long since fallen out of common language) and has become a synonym for a Cigarette and Homosexual is a banned word.

It's not even offensive unless used in context, and in that 10 Slot (I think) space you get to nickname your pokemon your going to be struggling there. And even then, we aren't all 6, so does it really matter?

Stupid Nintendo.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

So if that's the case then my evil plan of nicknaming all my Pokemon ********** before I trade them is ruined!!!

But either way, if this is the case and why the heck did they give it that name then? They could've just replaced the a with another vowel, Cofigrigus or Cofogrigus aren't terribly different an at least it isn't offensive. What gives Nintendo?

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

@Mutant_Mewtwo: Like it or not, that word is generally considered a swear word now.

Why didn't TPCi just name it Cofarigus, I wonder? It flows better and doesn't cause any offense.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Really????? Just because its in there? That kinda doesnt make any sense to me. I didnt really notice this until Gallade pointed it out. Gamefreak maybe should've thought this through a tad bit more than they did.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:24 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

@ Gallade, Funnily enough, I realise this. I just think it is a monumentally stupid thing to do on Nintendo's part.

Surely, I mean, SURELY there must have been some way for them to ban the word Fag (completely pointless in my humble opinion) but still allow the actual name of one of their own freaking pokemon to slip through the cracks.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:43 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
This is just so stupid that I can't even properly respond to it directly...

On the other hand, Gamefreak should have tried harder & maybe they would have foreseen this incident before hand :| ...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lawence Codye wrote:

On the other hand, Gamefreak should have tried harder & maybe they would have foreseen this incident before hand :| ...

Well to be fair, Game Freak doesn't really have much input on the international Pokémon names. It's TPCi and Nintendo of America that we really need to place the blame on for this one.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Gallade Roxas wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:

Well to be fair, Game Freak doesn't really have much input on the international Pokémon names. It's TPCi and Nintendo of America that we really need to place the blame on for this one.

That is 100% correct, and I intend to place the blame on them. The second Cofagrigus's name was revealed, almost everybody noticed the consecutive F-A-G in its name. How did NoA and TPCi miss this one? Couldn't they have banned the F-A-G from everything possible EXCEPT Cofagrigus? Aaaaaaaarg! :frustrated:
I find the entire swear filter to be entirely pointless, as I have only seen one Pokemon with a "bad" nickname; I gave my friend a "Phione" egg in exchange for his shiny Bagon, but it was really a Qwilfish. But that's besides the point. I don't know anybody who would seriously "cussname" their Pokemon. (cussname = cuss + name) Maybe if the game is reprogrammed a little it could be fixed, but it's too late now. Oh well. Time to rename all 34 of my Cofagrigus. (I left one in the Day Care for too long and I figure I could get rid of all of them on the GTS.)

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Gallade Roxas wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:

Well then whoever it is should have foreseen it then, don't really pay too much attention to who handles the making of the English version of the game :| ...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Lawd Jeebus, this topic.

Some of you guys are acting like this was intentional or something.

The English name contains the word "fag." In AMERICAN culture today, the word is generally considered offensive whether you personally think it is or not. Hence the reason why Nintendo has it included on their word filters. Nintendo is a family friendly company and even Microsoft has needed to put its foot down about racist and homophobic slurs during online play, so it's completely understandable why this mistake with Cofagrigus has occurred.

Unfortunately, we can't trade Cofagrigus right now because it contains the word by coincidence, as the portmanteau of "sarcophagus" and "egregious" (with "ph" being shortened to "f" due to name space constraints, and to also sound like "coffin") unintentionally includes those three letters in the same order as the offensive word. They obviously did NOT construct the name with the intent of focusing on the "fag" part.

(And, no, "Cofigrigus" or whatever else doesn't produce the same phonetic result as "Cofagrigus," sorry to say. I think the natural assumption for most would be that "Cofi-" is pronounced like "coffee." Ditto for "cofig-" being pronounced like "co-fig," which obviously wasn't their intent. Phonetic issues like this are also why we got "Oshawott" instead of "Oceawott," despite the name being "osha-" coming from "ocean.")

As for the inability to trade the Pokemon, it's probably just an oversight or poor testing on Nintendo's part. If they were so gung-ho about naming the Pokemon "Cofagrigus" despite the fact that any Internet fanboy would zero right in on the "fag" part, then they should have made sure this trade issue wouldn't have come into play. I doubt it will be a permanent thing; they probably just have to add an exception to whatever method they use to filter inappropriate words online to make it allow "Cofagrigus."

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Frost wrote:
Lawd Jeebus, this topic.

Now, whilst I admit my eye sight isn't exactly 20-20 I fail to see anywhere in this topic where anyone in this topic has said this is obviously anything other than a mistake. A stupid one yes, but a mistake none the less. You've said no different yourself, but decided to write a 20 minute essay about how they arrived at the name Cofagrigus.

It's just simply that, Nintendo is one of the largest companies in the world, they've spent millions of pounds on development, testing and getting the GTS online. And yet, they've completely missed what every 'internet fanboy' as you put it, has stumbled a little over a week after release.

It's not difficult to implement a simple filter that allows a certain series of letters, as opposed to just blocking any uninterrupted sequence of them.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:12 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Mutant_Mewtwo wrote:
Frost wrote:
Lawd Jeebus, this topic.

Now, whilst I admit my eye sight isn't exactly 20-20 I fail to see anywhere in this topic where anyone in this topic has said this is obviously anything other than a mistake.

Mostly what he's complaining about is how silly it is for the fan base to complain about his name. Believe it or not, there ARE kids who see "Cofagrigus" and IMMEDIATELY think of the word "fag". I think the members who have posted in this thread have really taken it too seriously, there IS a reason there's a censor list, and yes, fag is offensive.

Quote:
It's just simply that, Nintendo is one of the largest companies in the world, they've spent millions of pounds on development, testing and getting the GTS online. And yet, they've completely missed what every 'internet fanboy' as you put it, has stumbled a little over a week after release.

Not every game is perfect. Games are filled with mistakes and glitches, anywhere from programming issues to typos. RBY was filled with them, as well as the games that succeeded it. Remember that exploit in early Japanese DP games that let you abuse the explorer kit to explore areas you shouldn't? Yeah, that was found what, a week after the release? Like this issue, I'm sure the Cofagrigus issue will be dealt with.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: Searching for the place all the Abra teleport to. I'm going to crash their party.
Frost is 100% correct. It wasn't intentionally done. The programmers just didn't see how the name would be affected by their filter. It's a minor problem with a simple solution. They'll just make an exception for Cofagrigis.

All a moot point for me, really, since I nicknamed my Cofagrigus Huggzor anyways.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah this doesn't really affect me, as I nickname all my Pokémon anyway, even the ones I intend to trade away. I just figured everyone in general should know about this.

I'm sure someone will tip Nintendo on this and they'll find a way to patch it or something.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I hope they do then cause no matter how easy it is, it just shouldn't be required to nickname something just to get it pass the filters to give to someone, it's just wasted time but whatever, they will fix this, I just hope it is real soon & not take too long as it "is" a simple slip in programming, that it is...

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:25 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Why can't they change it so that only nicknamed pokemon get banned.
Then if it wasn't nicknamed, it could be traded.

Off Topic- @ Gallade Roxas: Where do you get moving sprites from Black and White?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

http://dialgafans.pytalhost.de/

Not all of them are up yet, though. But all the Unova ones are.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I don't really know but the gps says to make a illegal u-turn I wonder if it's a bug type
Well I've looked on the Internet about the situation and in the next game/update they should fix the roblem with their not very well thought throgh filter and names.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hmm, I sense a problem with tweaking the sensors for the censors on Cofagrigus. If Nintendo allows the combonation of those letters, we might circulate some Pokemon with the name "coFAGrigis." Think about it... Kids (and adults) ARE like that >_<

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next