It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 HM Slaves... or Lack of one 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I like having one HM slave to hold my crummy moves and the nicer HMs be passed around between my actual team members, but unfortunately I have found that there would appear to be no good HM slaves in gen. 5

I used a golduck and skarmory in the past (fly, cut, defog, rock smash) and (surf, strength, waterfall, rock climb) but it is very difficult with Black and White... :(

fortunately with the infinte TMs I can have one Pokemon use all the crummy tm moves I'd normally blow off. (I also have found they allow for a cheap ether like effect between battles)

Basically I'm finding that I may have to Train a dragonite to have (waterfall, fly, surf, dive) because they decided that a swan can't swim up a waterfall... seriously? goldeen can make it up there so why can't the swan?

Please correct me, as I am hoping I'm too tired to see a very obvious HM tool until then though I will have to continue to use my Oshawott named Tool... lousy starters >.>

My team so far: Oshawott (Tool) Scraggy (DaftPunk) Herdier (MacRuff) Minccino (Fievel)
Soon: Galvantula and Sawsbuck (Bambi) ...and a dragonite too apparently...

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:11 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Keep in mind, the HM's in this game are actually quite good except for probably Cut.

Oshowatt should most likely have Surf, as that is a very good move and always has been, and Waterfall is pretty decent as well. Dive is a bit lousy due to it's two turn attack time, but still....

/shrug

Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

The only HM slave you need is one for Fly, and even then you won't use that very often.

BW = no need for HM slaves, I have the seventh badge and only three HMs, none of which I have used yet.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oshawott/Samurott is a great HM slave w/ Cut/Strength/Surf/Waterfall (Dive is only needed once for the ruins) and Sigilyph w/ Flash/Fly

As Krisp said HM's are barely required for the game unless you want to go off the routes to find items. Highlight to view spoiler.
Strength makes DS tower and Victory road much easier.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I don't really know but the gps says to make a illegal u-turn I wonder if it's a bug type
The only hms I've used so far is surf and fly ( I think that dive will be one when I get it) I'm on the seventh gym and I've only used surf like 3 times

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I put a couple of HMs on my Pokemon, this was really done out of tradition. I really didn't know if HMs were to be used at all, and like Krisp I got to the seventh badge and I hardly used HMs. The only ones I have used are Cut, Surf, and Fly. Cut was, I think, out of necessity. Surf to get a Pokemon, and Fly out of convenience.

Edit-1000th post woo.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

also since HMs aren't bound to Gym badges anymore You can have them right at the start, Traded over a ducklett with Fly/Surf as soon as I could
but beware as some may lead to areas with overly powerful pokemon

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:36 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I am on my way to get the 7th Badge & have not yet needed a single HM move, at all...

I have used only Cut & only once & that was to get an item back when I thought that I would need it...

That all being said, there is a clear lack of HM Technicians(HM Slave) among the 5th Gen pokemon imo...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

IM currently on conquiring the victory raod, and ive only used cut and fly. Cut was out of neccesaty to the stroy (dreamyard) and fly is just because I dont like having to walk back and forth to towns Ive already been.

I plan on using surf and strength after I beat the elite 4. That And I dont really wanto put surf on my seismetoad...

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:39 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've beaten the E4 and have my legendary dragon, and all I've ever used was Fly on my tranquill.
I used Surf and Strength to get to the legendary pokemon Cobalion.
I also used cut once at the beginning of the game, when you HAVE to use it in order to progress in the storyline.

So you only really need Fly, and you don't even need that if you like to walk.

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, Stoutland can use Strength, which is a great move for it. Apparently GameFreak is okay with a Surfing dog, so Stoutland's got that too. It's also got Dig to get out of those pesky caves.
Samurott gets Surf, Waterfall, Dive, and Cut. Thank Arceus for breeding so I don't have to waste my starter.
Fly is a great move against the retarded AI, so you might as well give it to your team's Flying Pokemon. Maybe it could learn Flash too, if you're lucky.
I'm still amazed that Doduo can use Fly and that Empoleon can't. At least Empoleon has wings. It can learn all the HMs except for Fly. It even gets Dig. The perfect HM Slave, and the freakin' bird can't even Fly? And that little wingless furball can?
Still looking for a Tepig willing to be my precooked premium breakfast at Holiday Inn. Spring Break '011!

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Watchog can learn Cut and Strength. And Tirouga can learn Surf, Dive, and Strength. Ducklett can learn Fly and Surf.

However, besides that one point in the Dreamyard, you do not seem to need HM's for anything mandatory within the game, so you don't always have to carry one with you.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

there is no area in the game where you realy need more than 2 or 3 hms so having a HM slave is unneeded

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Jaypokes wrote:
there is no area in the game where you realy need more than 2 or 3 hms so having a HM slave is unneeded

Well I mean, having an HM Slave still comes in handy. You just don't need to waste a slot carrying it around everywhere in B/W.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'd have to say that simipoar in my opinion makes a great hm slave, learning the 3 water hm's and cut, it has a high enough attack and special attack to put them all to good use

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In terms of Surf, I always just stick it onto my main Water-type, since it's a pretty good move, maybe even one of the best Water-type moves out there.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Here are my Utility Pokemon for HM moves:
* Cut (used to be my Patrat, but don't have it at the moment)
* Fly (Unfezant, because Fly is a stronger STAB move than any of its level-up moves)
* Surf (my trusty Samurott)
* Strength (Darmanitan)
...Haven't got Waterfall and Dive yet...
Convenient TMs:
* Dig (Samurott, for coverage against Electric-types)
* Flash (Chandelure)

I haven't given too much thought to a Utility Pokemon, because I mainly use HMs and utility TMs on members of my battling team who have limited movepools.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]