It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 rex09's Art Thread 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, so this is my art thread. Here's my old sig thread:
Dis one

So yeah, basically, I'm just gonna put all my sigs and sprites in this thread from now on. Below is the original post that started this thread (AKA my best sprite eva :D )

rex09 wrote:
Okay, so this is a fusion I made today (my first in a while). It's kind of inspired by a Yugioh card I had when I still played, and partially by a drawing from 5th grade. It has parts from Arbok, Jarooda, Wargle, and Aakeosu (the archaeopteryx pokemon). So... comment and criticque, please!! Oh, and also partially insired by a hand-drawn sprite I saw on Arkeis, which made me want to try spriting again.

Personally, I think it needs more feathers; the hand-drawn orange thing highest up on its neck needs a little touch-up, but I'm satisfied with it. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else.
EDIT: I made a couple of touch-ups, but I'm not sure if they're showing up, so here's the link to see it if you want to.
EDIT2: Gah, I can't get it to really work on my computer, so here's the updated version:
Attachment:
Feathered-serpent.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rex09 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Uh, rex? I don't think it shows up at all. It says: "removed or deleted".

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

yeah, I was trying to re-upload it; I just put in an attachment to fix that, though. Sorry about the issues :|

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think it's cool! rex, keep it up!

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This is really awesome! You have a very good choice of Pokemon to fuse & the recolor is terrific! I can't wait to see more works from you!
BTW, at the first glance I thought about Quetzalcoatl, the "feathered serpent" in Aztec mythology.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thanks, guys! Photobucket was failing me for a while there, so sorry about the technical issues. But yeah, thanks for the praise!

Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It's really good. You should try more of fusions like these.

Sprite Collection

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Yeah, I like it, mainly bacause it's godd and partly because I like dragons of any kind. :D
ShinyLucario wrote:
Quetzalcoatl, the "feathered serpent" in Aztec mythology.

Oh, that's what it's called! I read a book that featured that in a small role and all it described it as was "a feathered serpent". It also had a panther and a pair of un-human eyes. It also swithched between the panther, sometimes saying it was a jaguar, and saying that either the serpent or the jaguar/panther had two heads. They were described as symbols the Aztech bat god of the underworld, Cama Zotz, could turn into and trvel about as.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Again, muchos gracias. I was pretty satisfied with it; it's a lot better than when my last sprites from before I quit spriting. I think the difference is I started out with an image in my mind of what I wanted to create, then going and finding the parts, rather than finding two sprites and thinking, "What can I do to put these together?" It was definitely a much better result, I think.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:08 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

That's great! Glad to see some returning faces! You've improved a lot at your recoloring.

*cough*makeityouravatar*cough*

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Mektar wrote:
That's great! Glad to see some returning faces! You've improved a lot at your recoloring.

*cough*makeityouravatar*cough*

rofl thanks!! I was definitely considering that, but I might go with an animated Unova sprite, though.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:42 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, guys, here's another one. This one's a re-typing of Kurimugan to the Ice type. I'm not as big of a fan of this one; I was trying to do something new, but it just ended up as a mediocre re-typing. I kinda feel like I ran into a dead end on this one, so any suggestions, comments, or criticques would be much appreciated.

Oh, also, the feathered serpent is 110x110 pixels, so it can't be used as an avvy :(
EDIT: 1000 posts!! AW YEAH

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

*jaw drop*
GREAT JOB!! The colors & ice crystals immediately deliver the "Ice-type" feel! Its only flaw is that it seems a little unbalanced now its wings are gone. But that don't really matter. Can't wait to see more AWESOME works from you!

Last edited by ShinyLucario on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:38 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

rex09 wrote:

Oh, also, the feathered serpent is 110x110 pixels, so it can't be used as an avvy :(

um its 96x96 can be used as a avatar and if you dont think it is I made it smaller

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
No, he meant his other sprite, the serpent. And I also really like the ice dragon!

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:36 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Si, I was talking about the one at the top of the page. But thanks, Jaypokes!

Also, thanks to everyone who liked the ice dragon. I still feel like it lacks something, and I think ShinyLucario's "unbalanced" statement best sums that up. Again, thanks!! Also, any suggestions on what to do next would be nice. Just no standard fusions/recolors (i.e., put two pokemon together; just suggest an animal I should try to create or something, please).

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:35 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

ImageImage

Okay, guys, it's been a while since I've done anything. Since Gen V is starting to come back, I figured I'd do a couple of recolors to start off. I'm working on trying to recolor an animated Haxorus sprite to match the one above, but I ran into some technical difficulties. But either way, I might get back into spriting soon, so... enjoy!! C+C welcome.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:26 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

These recolors are AB-SO-LUTE-LY awesome & nearly flawless! Good luck with the animation recolor. Can't wait to see more works from you!
PS: You really should show your skills in the Art Contest.
PPS: I just found a guide about recoloring animations in GIMP2. Hope it'll help!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wow!! Thanks for the tutorial link!! And the high praise!! I think I will enter the contest, if I get some more time this week. But really, thanks for everything!!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, I'm trying to recolor the Haxorus animation, and ShinyLucario's link has really helped a lot. However, the actual recoloring is acting up. Here, let me show you:
Attachment:
Haxorus-wtf.png

Attachment:
Haxorus-better.png

The top one is how it's turning out (read: crappy). The bottom is how it's supposed to be. Whatever I try to do, the subtle off-white off the bottom translates into pure white, and the blue colors turn gray. Anybody have an idea why this is happening, or better yet, a way to fix it?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, I've admitted defeat for now on the animated sprites. Most of them don't seem to want to be recolored properly, and I can't figure out why. So, I decided to do a recolor and a fusion for Mektar's contest.
Image Image

C+C, please. Also, ideas for fusions or recolors, projects, etc., would be appreciated.

EDIT: I also just made a trainer card. Not my first, but definitely my best.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:58 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Not sure how I missed this. You make some pretty cool sprites! I think my favorite would have to be the feathered serpent. Looks very much like it could be a legendary based on the Meso-American Quetzalcoatl.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thanks!! Yeah, I think the first one is everyone's favorite. The other fusions are kinda meh. But thanks for the compliments!! I really need to try to make some more sprites like the first one (or at least via the methods I outlined, anyways). Maybe a hydra or ice dragon, or something made of rock or something is next... :?:

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay, I didn't feel like bumping my old sig thread back up to the top would be a smart idea; so this will now be my sole image thread. Anyway....

I played with the opacity levels on the Lugia, to make it blend in more. Personally, I like it - a lot. What do you guys think??

Credit:
Lugia

C+C, por favor.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:15 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

That looks nice, and the background is very fitting of Lugia. The slight transparency of Lugia also does well to give you the feel that it actually is underwater. The thing I think you need to work on is ripping images from their source. The white pixels around the edge of Lugia make it a bit obvious that it was pasted on there, and a little thing like extra pixels does a lot to detract from the overall quality.

Try raising the threshold of whatever select tool you're using to select the background, or even increasing the selection by static amount to cut a little more off all around. If it deletes a little too much, you can add a slight blur to the very outer pixels of Lugia. If for some reason you encounter problems with that, try selecting just the very outer 1px of Lugia (should be mostly the white pixels) and passing a mostly transparent black paintbrush over it. Darkening the edges will help it blend better.

The difference can actually be pretty surprising, and can make all the difference in making a piece look more professional.
Rather than: Image
Consider: Image or Image
Which obviously still have a handful of imperfections of their own, but were just quick applications of some of the suggestions. A better blending is less distracting.

And don't be afraid to zoom way in and delete individual pixels if it gets down to it. ;)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next