It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 For those who have beaten the Elite Four... (SPOILERS) 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

How did you feel about the ending?

I know that quite a few people here are complaining about how Pokemon never strays from the standard cookie-cutter plot, but I feel as if Gamefreak came up with a decent ending to both fit the "new" feel and satisfy the retro fans. The twist with the dragons was pretty cool too.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I liked the ending. It was really different than what the games have done in the past and the fact that they tried to do something different I give them props for that. My thoughts on the dragons are somewhat mixed. Yes its cool that you can capture them before you fight the last two fights, but if you don't have a full PC then you have to capture the dragon. All in all nice ending.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:17 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

When I took a look at who and the types id be facing in the elite 4, I was a little confused as to why I couldnt battle the champion till my second challenge. I found out pretty fast after I beat the elite 4. I had an idea id be battling Highlight to view spoiler.
N but what I didnt see coming was how they did it. I also wasnt expecting to battle Highlight to view spoiler.
Ghetisis at that exact time too. I bow my head to Gamefreak and nintendo. The main story ending was quite imaginative. I look forward to what they might do in the 3rd game of Gen 5.

(yes I know the word spoiler is in the topic name.)

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:42 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I thought it was absolutely terrible, I definitely prefer an empty plot with the ending being "you're the champion now" rather than some some mentally insane adult summoning Reshiram while daddy is there to complain when he loses to the 10 year old hero. The end of the game was long, dragged out, boring, and overall the worst ending ever in any Pokemon game.

I really hope they go back to the traditional "10 year old hero leaves from ______ Town with his starter, hoping to become a Pokemon master" because BW really proved that Gamefreak is unable to handle making a decent storyline.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Got to agree with Krisp here. I went through arouund 30 hours of Gameplay for Ghetsis or whatever his name was to suddenly go against everyone single one of his long rambling speeches he's made what seemed like every 30 minutes through the game. And I didn't even get entered into the Hall of Fame as far as I can tell because for some reason Alder is still considered the Champion by the game regardless of the fact that he lost to N.

Sadly this was probably the best set of Pokemon and the best designed region out of the last 3 Gens, but they ruined it with a tedious and overly worded story line.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I really can't decide what I think about it.

On one hand, I liked that the main villian's objective returned to what it was in Generation 1: Control the region using Pokemon. I think it's a much better, and certainly more realistic a plan, than Magma and Aqua's "dry up the seas/flood the land" idea, or Galactic's literally trying to create a new world. I also feel Ghetsis is possibly the best (or maybe just most stereotypically evil) villian the series has had thus far, because of how he tries to convert the masses to his position using politics, which I thought was an interesting difference from every other antagonist simply using fear (TR) or not simply caring what the populace thinks (TM, TA, TG). Plus, he's the most evil antagonist we've had because he uses his own son as the cornerstone for his domination plan, and forces him to live in an abusive and unhappy childhood.

On the other hand, I didn't like Team Plasma itself much at all. They seemed to be really hypocritical to me - if they didn't want pokemon getting hurt and abused in battles, why the hell are you battling me then? N was even worse, I still have no idea what he was talking about. Although, in light of the revelation that Ghetsis is the true villian and N was just a pawn in his game, I think I can forgive this a bit. I would say something about the sages, but since its likely most people haven't gotten to all of them postgame yet, I'll refrain for saying anything yet.

Overall, I think I'd put it in the middle in terms of storyline compared to the rest of the . I definitely think RBY's Team Rocket had the whole "regional control" gig down a bit more, and Galactic's plot was good from terms of incorporating Dialga's, Palkia's, and later Giratina's entire concept of controlling dimensions (whereas Reshiram and Zekrom seeking people looking for truth or ideals feels oddly like spirit, which the lake trio took care of last generation), so I put it behind them. However, I don't think GSC Team Rocket's storyline was fleshed out as well as it could have been, which made them rather weak antagonists in the long run, and Magma/Aqua's ecoterrorism was a joke about global warming.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

A friend posted this link on a wall post regarding the Shadow Triad. I found the picture, and what it said, to be fitting and something that would make a nice plot twist if it were said in the story.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:28 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I would have been happier if BW plopped me in a giant empty field and told me to catch all of the Pokemon without any pretense of a story.

Pokemon will never be Final Fantasy in terms of storytelling or character development. One major reason for this is because the main protagonist/player character is essentially a mute child. Another reason is that the villains are REALLY stereotypical. I mean, look at Team Plasma - they're supposed to represent a "gray area" because of the points that they raise about Pokemon being enslaved by humans. Except that the writing is done in such an obvious way that there's no mistaking that they're supposed to be evil. Look guys, that Team Plasma Grunt just kicked a cute little Munna! They stole a Pokemon from a little girl! They took a Dragonite fossil's skull as if liberating the petrified bones of a dead Pokemon is really making a point! They're EEEEEVILS!1!1. Team Galactic and Team Rocket are just as guilty of this - Team Rocket just wants money, Team Galactic to rule the world. Can you get more trite than that? Team Magma and Team Aqua are more "neutral" than the other teams, except that they trade obvious villainy for being really freaking stupid ("Hey, guys, let's rid the planet of the water, which EVERY LIVING BEING NEEDS TO SURVIVE!" Genius!).

In general, nobody cares about the humans in Pokemon games. Take, for example, one of the most popular humans. Lance is not a great character, as people love him for trivial reasons such as "he has a cape" or because he trains Dragon Pokemon. He has no given backstory or personality traits in any of his appearances, so there's little reason to care about him besides his Pokemon. And characters winning Pokemon character popularity contests based solely on what kind of Pokemon they train should be proof enough that the people in the Pokemon series really suck. So to me, making an installment of the series that focuses so heavily on the story and the human characters was a huge mistake on GameFreak's part because it just exposed the series' weaknesses.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:42 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Team Plasma was a OK concept design wise(to me) but their liberation plan was killed thoroughly by the fact that Every single character you meet in the game for the most part had their 2 cents to add in in regard to the whole question that the story brought up & I don't want to say it but it was all Team Plasma's & Ghetsis' fault, if they weren't making what later on became redundant speeches about it then not everyone would have a word or two to say about it...

N I liked more then all the other characters in the game, he is probably 1 of the best villian characters the games have ever had & that is sad cause he isn't even really a villian as you come to find out at pretty much the beginning of the end of the story...

Ghetsis himself was executed outstandingly but I still didn't like him at all, I mean why did he have to be the last person I battled & then right after N too, he was just all bark & no bite which is shown when he decides to abandon his game plan to show some bark only to look really stupid & become nothing but a for the moment memory & sadly a temporary reminder of how messed up the experience curve is for this game, I liked his tactics but the game is far better off without him, just a sad reminder of reality unfortunately...

The whole Zekrom & Reshiram thing was unique & I liked it, Reshiram's awakening animation was the best thing all game long & for good reason, but then having to battle N with it just after catching it, then battle Ghetsis with it & then finally have the game save before you figure out what it's specs even are, a very stupid thing to do on GameFreak's part, period...

The Seven Sages were boring & why do I have to wait until I abolish Team Plasma to fight them? Poor show, poor show, I just cannot care about sages that don't even really do anything but create useless conversation in the already drawn out story I mean come on now & as I haven't seen any of them post story, I have nothing to say on that...

Cheren & Bianca were very likable except for 1 thing, you always somehow were talking to 1 or the both of them every time you turn around, literally, it felt like you all were together the whole entire time which isn't true but could fool me under the circumstances & also that they(mainly Cheren) always had something to say in regards to the situation of the story which I of course didn't want to hear...

Lastly, the on occasion questions I was asked throughout the story most seemed like they in all honesty had only 1 answer, even if they appeared to have 2 which made most of them pointless, even to the story, meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I honestly liked the ending, but maybe I was just caught up in the novelty of having a legendary pokémon face-off and fighting Reshiram as owned by another trainer. I thought that was pretty neat, actually.

What annoyed me was what happens after the main story. I kind of got stuck at home, told to find the Seven Sages and then once again I was on my own. I tried accessing the new areas, but all trainers there had mid-60s pokémon where I still had mid-50s from my league challenge. Is there supposed to be an area to work you up to this, or is there genuinely a vertical difficulty curve? Because that's what it's looking like.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:00 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

rio_uk wrote:
I tried accessing the new areas, but all trainers there had mid-60s pokémon where I still had mid-50s from my league challenge. Is there supposed to be an area to work you up to this, or is there genuinely a vertical difficulty curve? Because that's what it's looking like.

The Pokemon those trainers have are mostly weak/unevolved. You should be able to beat them without too much trouble if you've already been through the E4/N/Ghetsis.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The ending was surprisingly good considering all the crap that lead up to it. I definitely wasn't the best RPG ending, but at least it wasn't a "I'm gonna shove these morals so far down your ****ing throat that you'll be ****ting them out for the next month and a half" ending or a "I have no idea what the hell the ending is about, and neither should you, just pay attention to the pretty colors." ending, it was the general "Don't be a bad person and follow your heart" ending. While clichéd it could'be been so much worse.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I have to say that I loved this game. They really did a great job in keeping your allies and your enemies in your mind throughout the whole game. I remember thinking as a kid "why don't the gym leaders ever do anything? Aren't they like special or something?" and this game really pulled through in that aspect. The Pokémon are great and the villains are more well rounded than ever before. By that I mean Ghestis and N, not so much the grunts but even more so than past grunts.

I loved how Ghestis turned out to me an evil political figure in saying one thing only to advance his evil goals. Most people are like "Ghestis sucks! He didn't even follow through with what he was preaching!!!1!" and I'm like...DUH!! He was only using those ideas to get people to release their Pokémon so he could rule the world with his and N's. They basically said that he brainwashed N so that's why N is the way he is.

As for they Sages....yeah I wanted a bit more out of them but oh well...

Overall I think that GameFreak and Nintendo did a great job in making the storyline more important and more appealing to 'older' players.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I like the ending.
I didn't like how Ghetis came out of the blue after N,
and I didn't like how all the pokemon that trainers in the new cities had were level 60s and the E4 goes up to 70s in thirty seconds. (While mine are still around 48)
But other than that, it was good.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]