It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Now that we have the games in our grubby little hands... 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

OK so all or most of us have a Gen V game in our grubby little hands. Some of us are going through it in a rush, others are taking there time and enjoying the experiance. SO the question is- What do you think of the new Gen, now that we've got it? Is there something about it that annoys you? Has this gen Introduced you to a type that you thought you'd never use?

I've only played the game for a bit over 7 hours and have 3 gym badges, and I gotta say im liking what ive been playing. For 2 Gens to be released on the same system, you'd never be able to tell buy the graphics. Gen V looks amazing. The amount of work that went into it to make it visually stunning, shows. What they did in Castellia city really makes this game stand out from the Gen IV games on the DS.

Im also actually using a bug type in my main team! Whirlipede is now one of my newest favorite pokes. The moves it can learn works s with how I battle.

I cant really sya anything on the whole connectivty part of the cgame because, I havent done anything with it. Im playing with the C-gear turned off, for obvious reasons.

All in all, Gen V is looking and playing great. I look forward to a great playing experiance.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I've liked it for the most part, story and world design are good.

Three complaints I have are the pixelation apperance of some pokes (This is probably worse for me since I sue a DSiXL), moving pokes in the boxes is much more annoying. And there's no L=A option like in 4th gen to play with one hand.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

The pixely look of the backsprites is odd, but I don't care. The game is too fun.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I belive the pixelaztion is due to the fact that yhis is the first gen where the sprites are actually moving rather than just being static. So you do get a more "pixely" look to them. I do beleive however that in the gens to follow the pixel problem will disapear.

Im a aittel ticked off on the connectivity part of it now. NO one on infared, no one wirless and we cant even access the dream world and high link till the end of the month PLUS we got ot sign up with pokemon. com ( I did this before I relized they werent running yet..). Yes I know they want to make sure the servers dont crash, but nintendo was pushing the connectivity aspect of this gen. You'd think theyd have it up and running on launch day ( or least a week later, that I see as reasonable).

Still likin the new pokes.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:08 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
If you understand what happened with it in Japan during the week it was released over there, then not having that until the end of the month is just fine, they need time to prevent it from crashing again like that...

That being said, I hate the lack of pokemon to choose from so far for some reason, the uselessness of battling stage 1 pokemon with Basic pokemon that evolve that are so close in level & the way the seasons are handled though it is better then doing it like in real life & lastly the way that I keep seeing my childhood friends so easily every other route to a far greater extend then in the previous Gen, oh & also that the L-A function is dead now...

I like that TMs don't break after 1 use, that the TMs you get early on are actually helpful this time around during the story & that Rock Smash is no longer a HM cause it was a useless 1 to begin with like Flash was & they work just fine as TMs imo. I like that multiple copies of items like Potions can be used without using them 1 at a time & then going back to the item select list & I like music plays when your HPs are low instead of that annoying alarm sound...

That's all I got right now...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:20 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

One thing I am liking about the game is the breeding center. Route 3 is very long, straight and the daycare man will yell at you when you run past him saying an egg is ready, unless your party is full.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:47 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm hoping this gets expanded after a fight with the E4 and National Dex, but 8 boxes to store all of your Pokes? Something tells me this will help push a new console game to allow for extra space for storing your pokemon, which means I'll finally need to invest in a Wii.

Everything else is cool. I like the "TMs don't break" thing that they have going on. Would like the option to have pokemon walk behind you in the overworld, but they seem to like keeping certain features with certain gens.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Libra wrote:
I'm hoping this gets expanded after a fight with the E4 and National Dex, but 8 boxes to store all of your Pokes?

I believe you can get up to 24 boxes, just put one poke in every box and it will expand the next day.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

MasonTheChef wrote:
Libra wrote:
I'm hoping this gets expanded after a fight with the E4 and National Dex, but 8 boxes to store all of your Pokes?

I believe you can get up to 24 boxes, just put one poke in every box and it will expand the next day.

We'll see tomorrow. I followed your advice on the 1 per box, we'll see if there's any expansion from there. Thanks for the heads up.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:27 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@ Libra-

I can safely say you do get more boxes. I just dont know if it has to do with the number of badges or like what mason said. I suggest asking in the BW FAQ and question thread.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Too late to ask, what Mason suggested did in fact work. After at least 1 Poke in the first 8 boxes, 8 more shortly appeared. Upon filling 9-16, 17-24 appeared. No new badges were obtained in the meantime since it was suggested, but I do currently have 6.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I've played up to the battle after N (after you beat the E4), which I lost, because **** this game.

So far I'd say BW has one of the worst storylines I have ever seen in a game. Don't get me wrong, ALL the stories are bad, but BW's in particular is the worst because you can't ignore it. In the earlier games, instead of reading the text, I could just skip through most of it and it'd be gone in seconds, but with BW, EVERY area you enter has some retarded quest related to the plot and I find myself mashing A to make it go away for like five minutes.

I don't care if Pokemon games have stories, but don't make the storyline the main focus in the game.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I also noticed the game forces you to go slow throught it, this is confrimed by an NPC in game, when fighting wild pokemon the greater the level difference between the 2 pokémon the more/less exp you get

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Im actually liking the story so far. The whole "my way of thinking is right and everyone elses' is wrong " is a nice touch. Of course some people may not enjoy the story as much as I..

I also dont mind that the game moves a bit slower and forces you to take your time. After playing lots of Supreme comander 2 {(RTS) ok once per day, but thats allmy cpu can handle of that game}and DFO (arcade style MMO), Im glad to be playing a slower paced game, and acutally being able to enjoy it without hurrying to protect yourself from multiple waves of hundred of units or excessive button mashing. I am now able to relax properly while playing.

And the doctors and nurses are a nice touch .Saves me from having to run to the pokemon centre all the time.

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I did notice the annoying constant reoccurring of plot related statements, they are literally flooding the game's dialog, everybody has their 2 cents & a bag of chips to say in regard to it & now I like the plot of the story better then the previous games but this makes it far worse then the other games, yep, just because they want to keep blabbering about it, yep...

That being said, I have also noticed that this game is brutal towards anything you have that is a basic pokemon needing to evolve as the Gym Leader's pokemon will literally wreak the little guys in 1 Hit alot after the first 1 of course & in general the game also forces 1 to grind which I never had to do prior to this Gen, I mean grind not beat the wild pokemon on your way from place to place, I mean take time out of your daily journey to waste simply on grinding through & through, thus Sandile & at 1 point, Panpour & Pansear were completely of no help during any Gym Leader battle except maybe 3 & kind of 5...

That being said, I still like the game but they kind of killed some of the variety by killing off the remaining usefulness of going through the journey with non evolved pokemon which was doable up to this Gen, I mean some people want their moves earlier but that means the game is on the highest difficulty in that case, just saying, veterans only...

Oh & the Nurses are a god send, also the doctors...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:17 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I overall like the game, except for one thing. I have been spending a lot more time then usual training against wild Pokemon just to be the same level as them. In Pokemon Platinum, I barely spent anytime grinding in the wild. In Pokemon Black the vast majority of my time is spent killing Pidoves.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I don't really know but the gps says to make a illegal u-turn I wonder if it's a bug type
The game has been great I think I'm on the elite four ( it's really hard) and I like some pokes that they introduced like bisharp , and garvantuala . I have to say that it's has alot of 3-d things and I love the game for that

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lawence your second complaint is a something that myself, and several others, have been noticing. Most Pokemon this gen are either really fast, or really fragile. Overall I am really liking this game my biggest liking is the fact that you hardly have to use HMs.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The way that this recent installment has more of an rpg feel has me really excited. This probably sounds a bit nerdy, but it reminds me of when I used to play MMORPGS. That feeling of doing quests, exploring, and grinding in a zone bring back fond memories.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:08 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ive got the game and im really excited. I havent played through yet as im trying to get a shiny Tepig but I plan to play through once i get it

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:47 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Seems like were starting to get a concensius (I really hoped I sapelt that right..) on the game. I took look at my previous posts, and saw that my ideas were a tad bit jumbled, so now that ive played through the game a bit more, i will now give BW a better reveiw/ opinion.

Gameplay- Overall the basic gameplay is the same (if its not broke dont fix it). What has had an overall is the use of the touch screen. Compared to the last gen on the DS the touch screen now has more uses. Notably the touch screen is now acts as the main menu, allowing quick acess to the important things.

Your team is now also shown on the touch screen, again allowing easy acess. Im also finding the information on the pokemon's info much easer to read, since they use BOTH screens to show its info. It just looks less crowded.

The same can be said for the storage system. The boxed pokemon are shown on the bottom screen, with info of the selected pokemon shown on the top screen. Moving pokemon has now also become MUCH easier. Expecially for moving one pokemon to another box ( I find at least.)

My only complaints are that using the scroll bar in the pokedex/bag can be quite finiky. They also got rid of the "ball" pouch in the bag menu (although they did compensate for this with the organize button). And finally, they did not bring back item storage on the PC. That has to be my BIGGESt complaint of all.

Graphics- WOW. They really showed the DS's potential here. This doesnt even look like a DS game. I really like what they did in Castellia city. Only complaint wit the camera angles is that sometimes when your running or cycling the camera angle moves VERY fast. It is a tad bit disorenting.

Some of the complaints of the game from other people include:

-The amount of grindign required.
-The story being shoved down our throat.
Connectivity- Ill talk about this later when they actually get the dream world and high link up and running.

There hpo that make it easier to understand my thought on the game.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:07 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

shinashu taji wrote:
Lawence your second complaint is a something that myself, and several others, have been noticing. Most Pokemon this gen are either really fast, or really fragile. Overall I am really liking this game my biggest liking is the fact that you hardly have to use HMs.

I have not had to use a single HM move yet & I am almost done getting all the badges which proves that fact even more & yeah, it is so bad that I had to replace Panpour with Ducklett & Pansear with Litwick just to have some hope of not getting ran over everytime I put them against someone's evolved pokemon which worked wonders...

I am disappointed with the lack of an Item Storage feature as well as I hate & I mean hate scrolling through all that stuff I will never use just to get to something I will use, at least they push the more recently used items towards the top & have that organization button so after doing the later, you won't have to worry about items that start with U or T being all the way at the bottom of that long list of items...

If it is 1 thing I think that pokemon & other RPGs need to not be similar in the department of, that would be grinding & why, cause especially with the based on LV EXP gain, it can literally take ages & after about half way through the Gym challenge or sooner, you are literally forced to do this & the Lucky Egg can't even really fix this & battling against stronger pokemon is actually hard to do in this game depending on the pokemon you are using, but I digress...

All that being said, this is the most fun I had playing through the Gym Challenge of any pokemon game so far & with the fact that you don't lose literally half of your money when you lose a battle anymore, makes it even better (I know this cause I lost again at least 3 of the Gym Leaders so far, 2 of them I just saved afterwards with the Leveling Up situation being taken in account)...

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:22 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I must admit, playing through White has definitely given me the most enjoyment out of the last 3 generations. The Lvl - EXP gain ratio they've added, whilst I found annoying at the start (I have 6 badges now) I find that there is plenty of Trainers and decent wild pokemon to level up on that this isn't an issue.

I haven't grinded in the slightest past the second badge apart from when bringing a new member into the party, I've just entered Twisted Mountain and have a team of 5 lvl 45 Pokemon. So, personally, I'm not really seeing this issue of grinding. If anything I'm avoiding grass for the most part as opposed to spending hours in it.

Although I am abusing the Lucky Egg admittedly, but then surely everyone is?

Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:09 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Mutant_Mewtwo wrote:
I haven't grinded in the slightest past the second badge apart from when bringing a new member into the party, I've just entered Twisted Mountain and have a team of 5 lvl 45 Pokemon. So, personally, I'm not really seeing this issue of grinding. If anything I'm avoiding grass for the most part as opposed to spending hours in it.

Although I am abusing the Lucky Egg admittedly, but then surely everyone is?

Well, you have only 5 pokemon which of course would make things easier to do without needing to grind but I have 6 pokemon & none of them have reached LV40 yet & I have actually past that place already which is sad considering I had help from the Lucky Egg as well...

I see your point though...

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

For the most part the games been great, Not particularly challenging in raising for the most part, what have noticed and liked are the little details, such as the stats effected by nature are marked in red and blue, you can change the picture on the pokedex to show the form you want to see including shiny forms (actually tested it caught my first shiny minutes ago :) ) , being able to have a list of registered items, and the slight humor inserted at the sixth gym.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next