It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Poke'mon, do you actually know what they're based on? 
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
shinashu taji wrote:
Gyarados's original typing was supposed to be Water Dragon, but they scrapped the idea and made it a Water Flying. No to mention its entire design is based off the Chinese concept of the dragon.

Okay now, I can see it being a "Chinese Dragon" with the above now stated, they have a similar body shape but the head looks different from a dragon so...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

From my understanding on what a serpent, sea serpent and dragons are, it makes little sense for something like Gyarados to be considered a dragon, or even have been based on one. I do agree, however, that a sea serpent can sometimes be a dragon as few cultures make the connection between the two, I.E. Tiamat, though most cultures connect serpents and sea serpents to massive snake-like creatures, japanese culture is one of these.

That being said, it makes more sense for Charizard to have been based off of some type of European dragon though I believe that it's name and complete make-up were based entirely off of a lizard versus it having any dragon influence. Just my speculation.

On the topic of Gyarados, I believe that it was based off of a sea serpent and not a dragon and thus, became a massive snake-like creature instead of a dragon-like creature, hence why it was not given its dragon typing, since its makeup had no dragon influence. Although it's flying typing is still a mystery to me.

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:59 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

PEOPLE! STOP ARGUING! Gyarados is based on a Chinese myth about a carp (Magikarp) who lept up to the heavens and became a dragon (Gyarados). Sea serpents in Chinese mythology ARE dragons. They are Dragons of the sea. Muck like how their are land dragons, sky dragons, and many more. So stop arguing if Gyarados is a dragon or sea serpent, cuz' technically, it's both.

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Last edited by Impersonation on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:13 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Impersonation wrote:
PEOPLE! STOP ARGUING!

I'm not arguing the topic. I'm just putting out there what I believe. I simply looked up the word sea serpent to get a better understanding because it would take a bit more than that to get me to believe something like Gyarados was actually based off of a dragon, even if the distinctions of Gyarados and a chinese dragon are similar.

Impersonation wrote:
Gyarados is based on a Japanese myth about a carp (Magikarp) who lept up to the heavens and became a dragon (Gyarados).

If I'm not mistaken, it was a Chinese mythology and it was actually leapt over the Dragon Gate to become a dragon. I checked that out on bulbapedia as well to see where they got their information from. What swayed me a bit however was that in its origin it states that it appears to be based on a sea dragon or sea serpent. A sea dragon is a little more believable if you're referring to its violent and terrible nature, though it's appearance is more closely related to that of a sea serpent, or sea snake for those that confuse the two.

Impersonation wrote:
Sea serpents in Chinese mythology ARE dragons. They are Dragons of the sea. Muck like how their are land dragons, sky dragons, and many more.So stop arguing if Gyarados is a dragon or sea serpent, cuz' technically, it's both.

[color=olive]I agree that in Chinese culture, sea serpents are sea dragons, though in other cultures, sea serpents are massive snake-like creatures, not dragon-like creatures, which is what I was stating. Though, there's definitely a bit of evidence that pull Gyarados either way. What it appeared that Gyarados was based on was backed up by the Magikarp in Pok

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Kaori Sakura wrote:
Impersonation wrote:
PEOPLE! STOP ARGUING!

I'm not arguing the topic. I'm just putting out there what I believe. I simply looked up the word sea serpent to get a better understanding because it would take a bit more than that to get me to believe something like Gyarados was actually based off of a dragon, even if the distinctions of Gyarados and a chinese dragon are similar.

Putting out what you believe is debating. Debating is arguing.

Kaori Sakura wrote:
Impersonation wrote:
Gyarados is based on a Japanese myth about a carp (Magikarp) who lept up to the heavens and became a dragon (Gyarados).

If I'm not mistaken, it was a Chinese mythology and it was actually leapt over the Dragon Gate to become a dragon. I checked that out on bulbapedia as well to see where they got their information from. What swayed me a bit however was that in its origin it states that it appears to be based on a sea dragon or sea serpent. A sea dragon is a little more believable if you're referring to its violent and terrible nature, though it's appearance is more closely related to that of a sea serpent, or sea snake for those that confuse the two.

FIXED :3

Impersonation wrote:
PEOPLE! STOP ARGUING! Gyarados is based on a Chinese myth about a carp (Magikarp) who lept up to the heavens and became a dragon (Gyarados). Sea serpents in Chinese mythology ARE dragons. They are Dragons of the sea. Muck like how their are land dragons, sky dragons, and many more. So stop arguing if Gyarados is a dragon or sea serpent, cuz' technically, it's both.

Kaori Sakura wrote:
Impersonation wrote:
Sea serpents in Chinese mythology ARE dragons. They are Dragons of the sea. Muck like how their are land dragons, sky dragons, and many more.So stop arguing if Gyarados is a dragon or sea serpent, cuz' technically, it's both.

[color=olive]I agree that in Chinese culture, sea serpents are sea dragons, though in other cultures, sea serpents are massive snake-like creatures, not dragon-like creatures, which is what I was stating. Though, there's definitely a bit of evidence that pull Gyarados either way. What it appeared that Gyarados was based on was backed up by the Magikarp in Pok

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Thanks for clearing up what I said about Charmander and Charmeleon a bit.
Lantern: lantern, a human-made device that produces light. Based on an anglerfish.
Anglerfish:Image
Lantern:Image

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:45 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Tropius TROPIcal+ saurUS
Based off the Mokele-mbembe
A Sauropod that supposedly lives in the Congo Jungle in the mordern era.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Cherrim= Cherry + Blossom/Cherubim

Overcast:

Sunny:

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Groudon: Ground + don which mean lord of the ground
Based off of behemoth, designed like T-rex

Kyogre: Kiao which means king of the sea + Great (I dunno about that last part)
Based off leviathan, designed like an orca whale
Text from ancient catholic bible: "Then you set apart two creatures; one you called Behemoth and the other Leviathan. You put them in separate places, for the seventh part where the water was collected was not big enough to hold them both. A part of the land which was made dry on the third day you gave to Behemoth as his territory, a country of a thousand hills. To Leviathan you gave the seventh part, the water."

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:45 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Rayquaza {rayquaza}

Based on: the Hebrew legends of Ziz, the unconquerable primal master of the sky. Its counterparts were Behemoth and Leviathan. It's features are based on Japanese dragon and the lindworm.

The Ziz

The Japanese dragon:

The lindworm:

Name: Rayquaza's name is likely a combination of ray (geometry) and quasar.

Cited Works:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rayquaza

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I don't really know but the gps says to make a illegal u-turn I wonder if it's a bug type
Well I know that some pokes atmre based on certain things ex. Staryu =starfish but if you look on bulbapedia on the pokes page it shows what it originated from or what it's based on

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

^ Uhhh. Just askin' did you read the first post? And If you've read the post above you, then you can see the Cited Works page on the bottom.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The pokemon Relicanth is based on the Coelacanth, the common name of an order of fish thought to be extinct (since 100 million years ago) until the last couple decades. Coelacanths are considered living fossils because they have remained basically unchanged in appearance of physiology for millions of years. The "Reli-" portion of its name comes from the word "relic," referring to an item of significance (usually religious) that has been carefully preserved through time.

Image Relicanth
Image Coelacanth

Cited works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Relicanth#Origin

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:11 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ha! They look so alike, that its funny to me somehow.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Awesome. I made something very similar to this a while ago, and I'm glad you've revived the thought. I don't have much for picture examples, but I have lots of info. So, without further ado:

Eevee- Based on Tanuki, Japanese raccoon-dogs. They are thought to be shapeshifters, which aligns with the fact that Eevee has so many different evolutions.

Hydreigon- Based on Yamata-no-Orochi and the Hydra. Both were multiheaded serpent creatures, both very evil. Which represents Hydreigon's dark typing. I think the reason it has only three head is because otherwise it would get cluttered.

Infernape family- Based on Songoku, the Chinese Monkey King. Known for his skill in martial arts and Nyoi-Bo.

Mew- Based on cats and feti (plural of fetus, if you didn't know). Based on the evolutionary theory that we all evolved from a single common ancestor.

Reuniclus family- Based on cells and mitosis and meiosis. Possibly also based on Homuculus, strange human like creatures.

More to come. I love folklore and historic and symbolic influences.

Wed May 11, 2011 7:17 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

EEVEEE IS A TANUKI? TANUKIS ARE THE BEST MYTHICAL (I hope not) CREATURES EVAH! But...it doesn't represent a tanuki... Q.Q

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sat May 14, 2011 7:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have had people often say to me that the Patrat evolution line is terrible because it's names don't actually relate to what it is. They think the names literally refer to a rat and a hog.

Patrat: Patrol-Meercat
Watchhog: Watch-Groundhog

Both of them appear to be based upon a Meercat on "sentry duty".

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Go Here for in-depth explanations of many Pokemon's origins. Scroll down that page for the other Pokemon links.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Wooper

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:30 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Savage Hunter wrote:
Hydreigon- Based on Yamata-no-Orochi and the Hydra. Both were multiheaded serpent creatures, both very evil. Which represents Hydreigon's dark typing. I think the reason it has only three head is because otherwise it would get cluttered.

They also tie in the number of heads with German numbers. Heino (ein is one), Zweilous(zwei is two), and Hydreigon(drei is three). I just noticed this one day and I am surprised that no one else has, at least that I know of.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Nincada Ninjask & Shedinja are based on a Cicada

A Cicada molting

It grows wings to become Ninjask and the left over skin has a hole in its back just like Shedinja

Names derive from
Nincada - Ninja + Cicada
Ninjask - Ninja + Mask
Shedinja - Shed + Ninja

Global Pokedex Team

ImageImageImage

Mon May 28, 2012 6:21 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CrazyRazey wrote:
Nincada Ninjask & Shedinja are based on a Cicada

A Cicada molting

It grows wings to become Ninjask and the left over skin has a hole in its back just like Shedinja

Names derive from
Nincada - Ninja + Cicada
Ninjask - Ninja + Mask
Shedinja - Shed + Ninja

and those things are the only real life creature that uses a move from pokemon. "screeeeeeeeeech"

3DS FC: 0104-0278-1948

deviantART wrote:
Vectors-R-US:
They do it to trigger fan-fictions. Fur da lulz. Cuz you know how those fan stories can get... *shudders*

VladimirMacHolzraum:
So the writers put things in the show just so they can read our screwed-up fanfics? That explains everything

Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2