It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 RedWall Book series? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Anyone else here read books from the Author Brain Jacques? You know the guy who wrote all the RedWall series books? I'm a litte behind on my reading (ok alot behind. Last time I honestly say I sat down, turned on the classical music station, and began reading for the fun of it was about 3 to 4 months ago).

I've finished only a couple of his books(RedWall, Martin the Warrior, and is currently reading MossFlower).

My friends tell me since I read a bunch of these books I should just label myself as a furry(I did, so you'll see me posting paws instead of hands (facepaw is the new facepalm!), and occasionally I'll mention my tail :P ). Sure why not? Where else are you going to read about a small mouse slaying a wildcat? :D

Yeah but like I said before I'm behind on my reading. Anyone else read books from Brain Jacques and does anyone recommend another one of his books for me to read after I'm done with Mossflower? :)

DS127 says:
*facepalm*

Fluffy says:
Explorers of Darkness too

DS127 says:
*double facepalm*

Fluffy says:
Oh and Digimon World Dusk =D

DS127 says:
*facedesk*

Fluffy says:
I was expecting a triple facepalm....

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:43 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I read basically all of them when I was younger, but got bored of them as I got older. They're good stories, but after you read 15 or so of them, you realize how formulaic they are.
On that note, though, any of the ones with the Badgers rock. Maybe read Salamandastron next?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I only had the chance to read Redwall (I haven't seen any of the others at the libraries around here), but it was a great read. I can't wait to get my ha- paws on the rest of the series. :p

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

JsXtm wrote:
I read basically all of them when I was younger, but got bored of them as I got older. They're good stories, but after you read 15 or so of them, you realize how formulaic they are.
On that note, though, any of the ones with the Badgers rock. Maybe read Salamandastron next?

So in my book Mossflower, there are three parts/books in it already. First it's Kotir, then Salamandstron, and finally Of Water and Warriors....so I guess I'll be reading Salamandastron next XD

DS127 says:
*facepalm*

Fluffy says:

DS127 says:
*double facepalm*

Fluffy says:

DS127 says:
*facedesk*

Fluffy says:

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:08 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Striker wrote:
JsXtm wrote:

So in my book Mossflower, there are three parts/books in it already. First it's Kotir, then Salamandstron, and finally Of Water and Warriors....so I guess I'll be reading Salamandastron next XD

I meant the actual book Salamandastron, not the section of Mossflower...

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'll have to hunt it down then. My libraray doesn't have many books from the RedWall Series =/

DS127 says:
*facepalm*

Fluffy says:

DS127 says:
*double facepalm*

Fluffy says:

DS127 says:
*facedesk*

Fluffy says:

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Redwall is amazing. Sure it gets somewhat formulaic and predictable, but the characters always change, and that's what is so great about it.

Jaques is not afraid to let characters die. This is another important aspect.
It's always sad yes, but it is this range of emotions that gives the books their power.

Salamandastron is excellent, and I also suggest Outcast of Redwall, and The Long Patrol.

Taggerung is pretty good too.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i liked them a lot when i was younger, but as i kept reading them i realized he only has a few plotlines and keeps re-using them over and over.

some of the standouts that i can recall are The Bellmaker, Outcast of Redwall, Salamandostron and basically any of the stories wit badgers in them. ;)

the last book in the series i read was The Pearls of Lutra though, so there might be some good ones later on as well.

i moved on to more complex and intricate books after that.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:32 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I first read Redwall when I was in Elementary School and fell in love! You get so attached to the characters and I just love the storylines and the different points of veiw in every other chapter. I have also read Mattimeo (love that one as well) and am also in the mist of reading Mossflower, but have gotten sidetracked. I need to just sit down, put my "paws" together, and read that book!
I am overall a big fan of this series and forever will be!

[color=#BF40FF]~*[/color][color=#8040BF]-[/color][color=#8000FF]Two[/color][color=#8000BF]*~[/color]

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:48 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Aw, shucks. Sorry if I'm "necromancing", but I just had to post.
I've read all the Redwall books up to date, except the latest one, if it's has come out already (the one after Sable Quean)
They're, as many have said, a little predictable, but they are still fun to read when I have nothing to do at home.
My favorites are:
Outcast of Redwall (actually introduced the series to me)
The Long Patrol
Eulalia
Salamandastron
The Bellmaker

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]