It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:21 am

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Thinking About... 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have been watching some Yu-Gi-Oh tonight, and it got me thinking about getting back into the Yu-Gi-Oh card game. Discuss if I should or shouldn't.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I lost interest once all the GX stuff came around. I still have a ton of original Yu Gi Oh cards though, and keep Relinquished (one of my first blue cards) in my wallet for safe keeping... along with Surfing Pikachu and Japanese Gyrados. :D

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh in years, about four years in fact (I played a little during my freshmen year of high school since my school had a large Yu-Gi-Oh crowd), but like before there wasn't much diversity in the game, everyone was going nuts looking for Cyber Dragons and for a few other cards, and I was the odd one out since I just played a Dark Magician deck.

If you really want to, go for it, but if you don't want to play a game where everyone has the same 15 cards in their deck, then I suggest something like the World of Warcraft CCG or Magic (Magic seems to be the game that has the least amount of "staples", but it still has a few chase rares, you can easily get by without them)

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:30 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well the people that I would be playing with have all sorts of different decks. Decks like Dragons, Six Samurai, etc. So it really wouldn't be all the same cards, sans the staples. What I was thinking of doing of getting the English Structure Deck for Malik, and tweaking it a bit by putting a few of the cards that I want in it, like Helpoemer, Swords of Revealing Light, and a few other staples, along with the two promo tournament legal Egyptian God Cards, Obelisk and Ra.

This would be my first time playing in about four years, but I have somewhat kept up with the cards and game, so I wouldn't be completely lost.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well if that's the case, I say go for it, Yu-Gi-Oh got really stale for me because it was pretty much the same thing over and over, but if things are diverse in your area then it seems like it could be fun. Also, if you've been keeping up with the cards, then you'd be in a much better position than I would be if I ever decided to pick the game up again. Just don't let the heart of the cards devour your brain or anything. :p

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I will. I have kinda wanted to get back in it, and the local gamers association that I go to has tournaments from time to time for the game. So it would keep me interested. I would probably just stick with the Malik deck for a while, before I actually start getting more cards. Some of the new monster types intrigue me like the Psychic types, and they actually have a few Synchro monsters that I like. I am going to do it, but it will a gradual getting back into the game. Not a dive right back in spending a lot of money getting new cards kind of deal.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I really miss Yu-Gi-Oh, great stuff it was. But especially as the TV show developed (mostly on a day where I couldn't watch it due to work), I fell behind. I had this band of friends in high school who I would duel with, and I still have a LOT of cards somewhere at home, but they moved with the show and I couldn't. Therefore, I fell behind.

I was thinking about the same thing a couple days ago, ironically. But once I got to school (college), I haven't found anyone who duels, so I'm quickly losing interest again. I really liked how it was so diverse, and if you've got a lot of different ways to come up with themed decks, more power to you. I would say go for it if you've kept up enough to understand the new mechanics. Otherwise, that would not be recommended, because it's quickly becoming a "young man's" (that is to say, new-gen's) game.

So I guess I'm saying try your luck. It will be a lot of fun for you, I'm sure (it always was for me, and I miss it dearly).

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

P.S.: Now for my slightly inappropriate moment. I couldn't help but notice as I came into All Glory today was at the top, two topics consecutively were Thinking About... and Your Mom... :P ROFL!

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It shouldn't be too hard, as the mechanics really haven't changed all that much, to me the biggest change was the addition of Synchro Monsters and even that is easy to grasp. The biggest part is all the different cards and types, like the Blackwing series, and the Psychic creature type. Even if I do have trouble with the game, the people that I would be playing with aren't jerks. They will be understanding about the slight struggle I would have, and they would more or less take it easy on me until I got into the groove of things. Its something that I want to do because of the tournaments the gamers association has sometimes, and it would be a way to bring back some fond memories from when I was a kid.

Another thing is anyone going to see Bonds Beyond Time if it comes to a theatre near any of you? I would love to go see it as it is celebrating the franchise turning ten years old, and it is going to have one wicked duel.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I stopped for 3 years or something like that after getting really good at it. I started again last year and got the hang of it, it was great fun and I wondered how I ever managed to stop. :P
But I've stopped again. It was fun, go for it if you want, I just wasnt bothered because its more expensive than ever and too many cards are, imo, useless and make it a waste of money. Its just the same decks everywhere, but if you havent seen the new Scrap archtype you should go look, its amazing.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:49 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

That's one card game I'd have to say I advise against, especially if the ones you'd be playing with go to tournaments. Back when I played it competitively, there weren't too many banned cards and it had an extensive restricted list. Nowadays, it seems to be the other way around and the card game seems to actually force you to use specific cards just to have a decent legal deck. I'd have to agree with Magus that you'd always see the same cards in every deck simply because the banned list of cards forces you to do so.

Yu-Gi-Oh really lost interest to me because of this and even though one of my friends consistently kept up with the game and has always tried to bring me back into it, every time I make a new deck it seems like only a month or so later that about four-eight cards in my deck gets banned. It probably wouldn't be such a big thing if everyone I knew didn't run only but tournament rules and simply refuse to play casual duels.

Though, while I advise against it from my own experience and preference, if you have the time and money, as well as the dedication to look past the card restriction you have in the game, go for it.

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wow Patchy the Scrap archtype is amazing. It is a type that heavily works with and helps other cards in the deck, which is something I really like. Once I start getting heavily into it I will probably make myself a real nice Scrap deck. I feel like getting back into the game will be fun. I don't mind seeing a good chunk of the same cards over and over, cards like that are staples and work well in any deck that is why they are called staples. The people that I play with aren't rule Nazis and when we play casually we don't really have a forbidden card list, everything is pretty much anything goes. You see cards like Pot of Greed and Chaos Emperor Dragon.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I played Yugioh with my brother and our friends when i was in middle school. After we moved, and my bro quit playing (like Pokemon T__T) I quit as well. I still have a lot of my best cards and whatnot, so I could probably build a half-decent deck. In casual dueling, we just didn't use Dark Hole or Monster Reborn. But anyways, I would reccomend you do, if you have friends to play with casually. Playing competitively just seems like too much trouble, though.

Also, <3 Chaos Emperor Dragon

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:20 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

shinashu taji wrote:
Wow Patchy the Scrap archtype is amazing. It is a type that heavily works with and helps other cards in the deck, which is something I really like. Once I start getting heavily into it I will probably make myself a real nice Scrap deck.

Yeah, I saw it combined with gravekeepers at a tournament, the guy was beating pretty much everyone. I tried to make the deck but the main cards are pretty rare and expensive; I got one Scrap Dragon, two storms and some others I think but never got chimera/scrapyard. :( I never bothered trying to get the STBL ones though.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:43 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Once I acquire some more money I will probably combine them into the Malik deck, which has already been ordered along with a few other cards like Gravekeeper's Recruiter and Gravekeeper's Stele and Mystical Knight of Jackal. I am looking forward for when these cards come in so I can start playing with some of my nerd friends.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:18 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
This is my first post here btw...anyway, I actually just recently lost "some" interest in the game due to not being able to duel anyone or afford to buy every card I wanted...

But I still find the game enjoyable & hope to get that TL Winged Dragon or Ra at some point in the future. I don't ever play by the tournament restricted or banned rules cause they tend to get a bit unreasonable with it, more so recently & I'm not in a tournament so why play by their rules. I say go for it too as it may not be the most open rule game but has alot of different strategies to counter that issue all too well, I have 4 Decks made & they all wield quite different strategies if I do say so myself. You have people to play against & are able to afford all the cards you are looking for so it should work out to be a very fun TCG for you would be the point I am trying to get across...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The tournament legal Ra can either be very powerful or very weak. The only way for it to get attack and defense points is by activating its effect when its summoned. You have to give up Life Points until you have 100 left, you don't get to pick how much you give you have to give until you have only 100 left, and the amount that you gave up becomes its attack and defense. Still its other effects are good. Its summoned cannot be stopped, the turn this card is summoned spells traps and other monster's effects cannot be activated, and you can give up 1000 life points to destroy one monster your opponent controls the last ability can be activated at any time.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:46 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I can find a use for it though I would prefer if they would release Slifer sooner though but whatever, they did release the Marik Structure Deck so all makes much sense...I never really understood what Ra did when I watched the episodes where it was being used...

I do know for a fact though that Slifer will be released in a Issue of Shonen Jump sometime this Winter 2011/2012 considering that the other 2 have been released in the same month's issue 2 years in a row, 1 at a time...

As for the TL Ra card, it is alright, I want it more for it's incredible artwork though, unlike TL Obelisk...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I played Duel Monsters once, but then I lost all my friends to the Shadow Realm. So then I was like, "Screw this..." Never played a game since.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:31 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah Duel Monsters is a dangerous game. I came close to going to the Shadow Realm, but then I screwed the rules and summoned a bunch of monsters in one turn.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:38 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I lost intrets in yu-gi-oh years ago. I didnt find it all that fun. Of course I never had a starter deck with the rule book, card games arent really big in my area ( you can find the cards, but thats about it) and I always just end up battling myself. Yu-gi-oh wasnever fun in that way, plus some of the cards where just way to confusing. I still have the cards, but I dont really use them. If you got a good community to battle, and you still enjoy the game, go for it and knock your socks off.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, in the summer, surprisingly a lot of guys at the park (potheads I suppose I should add, i'm their friend, but I don't do drugs) and I found them in the summer playing yugioh at the picnic tables. At first I thought it was funny, but then I started playing along with it and made a deck up. But I haven't seen them doing that in a while. Kind of miss it, it was nice going back and playing yugioh like we're all 11 years old again.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It looks like the decision of getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh was a good one. I lost all the duels I fought in, but still I had a blast. My first time dueling in at least six years, and the Malik deck did well even with the tweaks I made to it, and since they had never seen me duel before I was like a wild card because they didn't know what cards I could pull out.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

shinashu taji wrote:
It looks like the decision of getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh was a good one. I lost all the duels I fought in, but still I had a blast. My first time dueling in at least six years, and the Malik deck did well even with the tweaks I made to it, and since they had never seen me duel before I was like a wild card because they didn't know what cards I could pull out.

Well at least you attempted to Duel against them, can't say that much for myself as I just do not have a finished deck to be a threat...

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:54 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

All the duels I dueled in the other night were multi duels, so I was dueling against just one person. If I was dueling against just one person I probably would have stood a better chance at winning. Either way it was fun, I faced an Evil Hero deck, a Six Samurai deck, a Frog deck, an Amazoness deck, a Burn deck, and a Magic Counter deck. They are having a tournament February fifth and I think I am going to enter that, it only costs five dollars to enter. They being the local gamers association, and they usually have good prizes. Plus it will be one on one duels so I might win a duel or two.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:25 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I think I know what your first sentence mean...?...

My Y! Messenger friend has a Six Samurai Deck, I however, have only 4 incomplete & inferior decks(1 of them is a Spell Counter Deck)...Someone on another forum I am friends with has a Frog Deck that is pretty good...

I really need to get into Yugioh enough to participate in a Tournament, I am withdrawing a bit from it due to not being able to get any of my Decks completed due to lack of sufficient funds...If I can do that, I will definitely consider participating in a Tournament, even if I am an adult & it is going to be mostly kids there which will make me feel very uncomfortable...

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]