It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sports that You don't Consider Sports 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

0_o Man! I need to study more... and go onto internet more... darn.
As for my question, is there a winter olympics thread? I don't want to further any more discussion of Curling and stuff like that here, as it doesn't have anything to do with this thread. Anyway, wow! This goes to show, I'm not enough of an American football fan. And I call myself a devout Steelers fan... Thanks anyway.
~torchie13125

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:50 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

How dare you! btw, in europe it's called rugby, not football.

torchie13125 wrote:
Um, I thought Russia wasn't Communist anymore? Maybe I got a 4 on my AP World History Test (in America) with no knowledge that Russia was still Communist. Last time I checked, the Soviet Union got dismantled in the 1980s and 1990s.
Anyway, I also don't think synchronized swimming shouldn't be a sport. Why? It's pretty much underwater dancing!
Another sport that shouldn't be a sport is figure skating. The reason? Same as above, except on ice. Dancing isn't a sport.
~torchie13125

Erhm, i swim... when i get angry, Mr. Baglesworth gets angry! and when Mr. Bagelsworth gets angry, PEOPLE DIE! (JK)

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:31 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

When were you a... oh... I see where it says that you swim. Sorry, But I wasn't making fun of swimming itself. Swimming is a legit sport. I know that, because I like to swim too, But, synchronized swimming is just a dancing maneuver underwater. So, I'm not saying swimming itself isn't bad.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:04 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

(post 251, YAY! ACE TRAINER!) oh, dance underwater, it's like a ballet, exept no bras and a heck of a lot less interesting.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:39 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Flaming_Wuzzle wrote:
torchie13125 wrote:
American football is hardly played outside the US, and I doubt that there's any international Am. football cups anywhere. Have you heard of an American football team in the UK? Have you heard of one in Germany? In Canada? (just maybe...) In Norway? In Brazil?

Maybe I'm a bit late in doing this, but...

Britain: British American Football League. Also had two teams in NFL Europe (London Monarchs and Scottish Claymores), and hosts one NFL game each year in Wembley Stadium.
Germany: German Football League. Also hosted five of the NFL Europe teams.
Canada: Canadian Football League. Kind of a big thing there.
Norway: Norway American Football Federation
Brazil: No league as far as I can tell, but they still have a national team in the sport. That'll do for the purposes of your question.

As for your claim that there aren't any international cups, there's the IFAF World Cup. There's also the European Football League, which operates similarly to the Champions League soccer tournament (i.e. best club teams in Europe participate in a tournament to determine the European champion).

And as for the rest of you, there seems to be a lot of people who seem to think things aren't sports out of sheer ignorance. Things like chess and gaming that primarily involve mental skill can easily be considered sports. Racing, especially at Formula One level, requires rigorous physical training to cope with all of the g-forces you're subjected to. Golf, again, not blatantly obvious, but it does need training to hit the ball precisely where you need to. Curling, just like golf, much more precision-based. Dancing isn't necessarily a sport on its own, but it can be incorporated into things that ARE sports, like gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming, etc.

Just because things don't bash you over the head with their obvious need of physical skill doesn't mean they aren't sports. There's more to the term than that.
Torchie, you've been pwned.

Anamator wrote:
How dare you! btw, in europe it's called rugby, not football.

torchie13125 wrote:
Um, I thought Russia wasn't Communist anymore? Maybe I got a 4 on my AP World History Test (in America) with no knowledge that Russia was still Communist. Last time I checked, the Soviet Union got dismantled in the 1980s and 1990s.
Anyway, I also don't think synchronized swimming shouldn't be a sport. Why? It's pretty much underwater dancing!
Another sport that shouldn't be a sport is figure skating. The reason? Same as above, except on ice. Dancing isn't a sport.
~torchie13125

Erhm, i swim... when i get angry, Mr. Baglesworth gets angry! and when Mr. Bagelsworth gets angry, PEOPLE DIE! (JK)

It's not called rugby. Rugby is a different sport.

Also, you need to brush up on your jokes, torchie.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:12 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, excuse me! *sarcasm*
I didn't know that there were jokes about them.
This is seriously why I need to go online more often...
Anyway, Chess, I think, is definitely a sport.
Mental exercise is still good for your body, isn't it?
So, that's why Chess is a sport.
I still don't think dancing isn't a sport.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:52 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I just need to make this one point. metal exersize is not a sport, though it it VERY rigorus.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ping Pong and Gaming. I consider chess a sport, it does exercise your mind, and very few people can actually take it to the next level to be considered professional at it.

Reasons that Ping Pong isn't a sport, because FOREST GUMP could play it... (I <3 you Forest)

Gaming, yeah there is just some random fat kid stereotype going around all over for absolutely no apparent reason >.>

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:59 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Seriously, folks, dancing ain't a sport!
Dancing only makes someone more flexible, so it's easier to play sports. It DOES NOT count as a sport.
And I do agree with Zero Cool on that gaming is not a sport.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Flaming_Wuzzle wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit late in doing this, but...

Britain: British American Football League. Also had two teams in NFL Europe (London Monarchs and Scottish Claymores), and hosts one NFL game each year in Wembley Stadium.
Germany: German Football League. Also hosted five of the NFL Europe teams.
Canada: Canadian Football League. Kind of a big thing there.
Norway: Norway American Football Federation
Brazil: No league as far as I can tell, but they still have a national team in the sport. That'll do for the purposes of your question.

As for your claim that there aren't any international cups, there's the IFAF World Cup. There's also the European Football League, which operates similarly to the Champions League soccer tournament (i.e. best club teams in Europe participate in a tournament to determine the European champion).

Also want to point out the fairly short-lived NFL Europe that existed as a subsidiary of the National Football League...

NFL Europa

As to torchie's point of dancing not being a sport, I'm going to raise a particularly controversial one in addition to that (ties in with it): cheerleading. I undestand that dancers and cheerleaders do their best to prepare their bodies for their routines (of course, that is also a good argument for them being sports), but I just can't see any of that as a sport. Just my opinion, of course.

I'd love to see how people debunk or support that one.

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh HELL yeah. I agree, except if anyone here's from my school hears this, I'm doomed. We went to states on cheerleading a few years back, and we were really close last year. So yeah. I think cheerleading isn't a sport.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

CALVINBALL!!! amirite?

Even Though Your Fire Burns
It Rains Inside Me,
My Love For You Will Never Die
Please Come And Set Me Free.

The Amber Mine wrote:
hahahaha olo XD so funnzy

I hate myself...

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Um, sure...
I just have a question.
What are Calvinball and amirite?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

One sport that people think isn't a sport: Marching Band. People have told me "Oh, well it's just walking around playing music." No, it's jogging around, playing extraneous music, and trying to walk in an exact formation. It's a fraking sport.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Wall ball, falconry, and fishing aren't exactly sports in my book(although I must say falconry is pretty cool).

sad but rad

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:11 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

IMO, a sport is anything that requires active movement and skill to participate in. Things like Golf and Curling qualify under these standards. Things like Academic team and chess do not.

FC changed recently. Anyone who has registered me should change it in their Pal Pad.

My trading thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27005

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think skateboarding is not a sport. sports have rules, skateboarding does not have any rules.its an athletic art

Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Lots of people I know don't think cheerleading can be considered a sport. In my opinion, I think it definitely qualifies as one. It takes skill, balance, and many other skills found in gymnastics, which is another difficult sport that's in the Olympics!

(I bet that if the cheerleaders and the team that the cheerleaders are cheering for switch places, the cheerleaders would end up better than the team.)

sad but rad

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:10 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Alright. Time to clear things up.
Chess- a sport
Competitive Gaming - NOT a sport (although I wish it was :cry: )
Golf- a sport
Curling- a sport
Dance- a sport (but only the competition type)
Cheerleading- a sport (same as dance)
Fishing- NOT a sport
Cross-Country- CROSS-COUNTRY IS A SPORT YOU IDIOTS I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY... ahem
Any type of competition done by animals- NOT a sport (but horse racing counts)
Pin the Tail on the Donkey- Highly controversial, don't want to get involved

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:43 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Chess, Ping-Pong, Competitive Eating, Competitive Gaming, Darts, etc.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2