It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Gen V English Name Whine & Moan Thread - all out but three 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Impersonation wrote:
Mr. Dude wrote:
Still getting used to Drilbur, Axew, and Woobat. I shall never get used to Snivy. I HATE YOU, SNIVY!!!
Anyway, I saw this list of all the Gen. V English names on two different sites. It goes from Victini to Kyurem. I'm hoping it's not real, as some of the names really suck.

1, it's impossible not to get used to an English name. I'm pretty that anyone who said that they will cal Lucario Rukario to the end is now calling Rukario Lucario.

2, Woobat, a Psychic/Flying, is supposed to be Unova's answer to the Poison/Flying Zubat.

3, Drilbur is an AWESOME NAME. Although I still have this feeling that it and it's evo are Sanshrew and Sandslash's counterparts. But, oh well.

~

EDIT.

Kudos to Ghoster for this link:

NAMES OF ALL THE 5TH GEN POKEMON! (excluding event Poke'mon)

http://zonasafari.net/index.php?subacti ... m=&ucat=3&

Don't know if it's legit though.

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:33 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Impersonation wrote:
Impersonation wrote:
Mr. Dude wrote:
Still getting used to Drilbur, Axew, and Woobat. I shall never get used to Snivy. I HATE YOU, SNIVY!!!
Anyway, I saw this list of all the Gen. V English names on two different sites. It goes from Victini to Kyurem. I'm hoping it's not real, as some of the names really suck.

1, it's impossible not to get used to an English name. I'm pretty that anyone who said that they will cal Lucario Rukario to the end is now calling Rukario Lucario.

2, Woobat, a Psychic/Flying, is supposed to be Unova's answer to the Poison/Flying Zubat.

3, Drilbur is an AWESOME NAME. Although I still have this feeling that it and it's evo are Sanshrew and Sandslash's counterparts. But, oh well.

~

EDIT.

Kudos to Ghoster for this link:

NAMES OF ALL THE 5TH GEN POKEMON! (excluding event Poke'mon)

http://zonasafari.net/index.php?subacti ... m=&ucat=3&

Don't know if it's legit though.

In my opinion, some of these are the best names I've seen.
There is no way these are made up. Random fools who create fake info and call it real would never have invested that much thought into them.

I love Serperior.
Purrloin, I didn't even know the word purloin existed before! Combining it with purrr is brilliant.
Unfezant.
Roggenrola ROFLMAO
Drilbur, Excadrill.... is it my imagination or did they purposely hide Excalibur in these names?
Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, awesome XD
Throh and Sawk omg lol
Scolipede <3<3<3 they didn't screw this one up yay
Cofagrigus... I like
Trubbish :D
Sawsbuck... guess what the SAWS means. SommerAutumnWinterSpring
Foongus Amoonguss. WHAT THE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungus_Amungus
Galvantula OMG EPIC T__T
Klink Klang Klinklang, sounds way better than Gigigear to me.
Elgyem....El Gy Em...L G M....Little Green Men. Don't tell me some random faker came up with this on the way.
Beheeyem... BEM, bug eyed monster
Chandelure, O:
FRAXURE. Genious
Pawniard. Bisharp. It's based on chess!!!1 I never thought of that.
Larvesta, Vesta from greek mythology eh! Volcarona is perfect also.

Some are rather weird too of course, but there's way less than I was expecting.
Like Stoutland...?

I'm more than happy with these.

Can these be put in the Amnesia attack? Or will they not be considered real until the games come out to confirm them? e_e
Is there any place or thread that talks about Amnesia attack btw?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Mitja wrote:
Can these be put in the Amnesia attack? Or will they not be considered real until the games come out to confirm them? e_e
Is there any place or thread that talks about Amnesia attack btw?
It actually makes sense to not put into the Amnesia Attack until names are officially official, as some might be wrong.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

More English names are revealed! (This time with my comments)

Best Wishes = Black & White (I like Best Wishes better...calling it Black & White is BORING)
Doryuzu = Excadrill (That sounds AWESOME!)
Mamanbou = Alomomola (My first 'impression' of this name is "Wow! So Hawaiian!" lol. It's a bit of a tongue-twister, but it being a palindrome makes sense - Mamanbou is quite 'symmetrical' in shape.)
Kurumiru = Sewaddle (I'm OK with this)
Insect Opposition = Struggle Bug (Great improvement...'Insect Opposition' doesn't even make sense to me)
Drill Liner = Drill Run (Drill...and Run? I don't get it...)
High Link = Entralink (Doesn't make much sense, but sounds cool)

Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:36 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

A few new names and they're all the same as in the leaked list. And the most original/official sounding, are still not officially revealed.

ShinyLucario wrote:
Doryuzu = Excadrill (That sounds AWESOME!)
Mamanbou = Alomomola (My first 'impression' of this name is "Wow! So Hawaiian!" lol. It's a bit of a tongue-twister, but it being a palindrome makes sense - Mamanbou is quite 'symmetrical' in shape.)

Excadrill is nice yeah. I still don't think it's a coincidence that next to Drilbur, one can make out Excalibur, even though its from excavation and, I guess, bury.
Alomomola comes from the sunfish named Mola mola and mom.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Again no complaints, except the fact that the sunfishes name may be a bit difficult to pronounce.I really like excadrill, best name released to this date.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

The names are worse than in shinoh ugh, they should have kept the japanese names, I mean snivy instead of tsjustra , what were they thinking , they are insane for this one

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:01 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

missingoinc wrote:
The names are worse than in shinoh ugh, they should have kept the japanese names, I mean snivy instead of tsjustra , what were they thinking , they are insane for this one

My friend, I have made a great discovery! I believe it will change the face of Pokemon forever! I have decided to call it... The "Nickname" option. I have yet to complete research on this astouinding feature, but I believe it will allow you to name your Pokemon anything, yes, anything, you want to.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

missingoinc wrote:

Since I don't speak japanese, I tend to think of that as WHAT THE HECK IS TSUTARJA?
But then if I would speak it, why would I care about the english names being english?
And I believe if one understands the japanese language, the japanese names are mostly less original than the english ones (someone once told me). Tsutarja is apparently literally GrassSnake if I recall correctly.
And besides, you spelt the name all wrong, with only the first 2 letters in the right place.

This is how your complain would sound for german names:
"they should have kept the english name instead of creating german ones, I mean Serpifeu instead of Grasssnake, what were they thinking, those they are insane..."

Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 am
THE POWER IS ON!

missingoinc wrote:

I love the irony of complaining about how awful the English name is in comparison to the Japanese name and then not even spelling the Japanese name (Tsutaaja, alternatively Tsutarja) correctly. I get the feeling that TPCI and Nintendo of America were thinking, "The name Tsutaaja has no meaning to just about any American kid, so let's change it to something that's actually based in their native English language and make it more pronounceable," but I could be wrong there, who knows?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The names of the pokes are only one aspect of the game. The names of pokes have no effect on how the game's gonna turn out. Gamefreak/nintedno do need to be givin a break, i mean come on, ther eprobably running out of names to give them that are actually pronoucable. Yeah some of the names may not be all that "origanal" but hey, would we be able to do any better? Probably not. When the games gets released in the states and canada, were probably not even gonna care about the names all that much.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

K, so if the leak in Spanish is true, then I have to say Elgyem and Beheeyem are incredibly clever.
I hope to GOD these are all correct, so I can finally start getting used to the names and stop hating them immediately (which I do, not gonna lie).

Also, Frost is a Gaga fan???

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:59 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Spoinkable wrote:
K, so if the leak in Spanish is true, then I have to say Elgyem and Beheeyem are incredibly clever.
I hope to GOD these are all correct, so I can finally start getting used to the names and stop hating them immediately (which I do, not gonna lie).

I kind of hope that it's real, but I'm not trusting it until the games actually come out. (These games couldn't come sooner if they came out ten years ago.)

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well, 3 more names have been revealed (as predicted by the all-knowing List!!!!!)
Deerling (Shikijika) not bad...it's a nice cute name, a little vapid but good considering that it was probably hard to name
Basculin (Basurao) another average name...just hope they change it for the spanish version...
Watchog (Miruhogu) I get the idea behind it but it just doesn't sound good...they might've been going for 'watch-hog', it sounds better but the spelling?...

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I hate Watchog. Its like Regice all over again: is it supposed to be Watch-hog or Watch-og?

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

By the way...here are the anime names for Iris & Dent:
Iris = Iris (Nice & simple)
Dent = Cilan (NO! I know that Dent could be a bit misleading, but Cilan? Sounds like a girl's name to me!)
Plus some moves & abilities names:
Acrobat = Acrobatics (Well, it changes from the person to the act itself)
Windstorm = Hurricane (Wow! Since its base power is 120 giving it a 'Wow' name is alright)
Healing Heart = Healer (Mmmm...Healing Heart sounds like a loving mother but Healer just make me think of a doctor)
Herbivorous = Sap Sipper (Y-y-yuck! What a sucking name. Literally.)

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

GofD wrote:
The names of the pokes are only one aspect of the game. The names of pokes have no effect on how the game's gonna turn out. Gamefreak/nintedno do need to be givin a break, i mean come on, ther eprobably running out of names to give them that are actually pronoucable. Yeah some of the names may not be all that "origanal" but hey, would we be able to do any better? Probably not. When the games gets released in the states and canada, were probably not even gonna care about the names all that much.

Uhh...wait...

GofD wrote:
The names of the Pokemon are only one aspect of the game. The names of Pokemon have no effect on how the game's going to turn out. Gamefreak/Nintendo do need to be given a break, I mean come on, they're probably running out of names to give them that are actually pronounceable.
Quote:
Yeah some of the names may not be all that "original"
but hey, would we be able to do any better? Probably not. When the games gets released in the States and Canada, were probably not even gonna care about the names all that much.

Okay good.

Anywho,

I think you're taking the word original wrongly. Original means it is unique, the one and only. From what I know there is no other thing in the world named Snivy. Excluding Pidove and Sandile, since there names are partly Pidgey and Totoldile respectively. But maybe not. Since The eeveelution suffix, eon, can be found in Lumineon's name. And I'm pretty sure no one said that was unoriginal.

Getting back to the word original, I think you mean creative. Most of the names aren't creative or not fresh or a great rehash.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

"orignial"/ "creative" my reasoning stands that the names dont make the game. But I do see what your saying.

Anywho's, im sorta not paying attention to the names anymore because, well its not gonna matter once I start playing it and bask in its glory.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

On the subject of sandile's name resembling {totodile}'s, I think this is a good thing as it appears to represent an evolutionary relationship between the two species- which makes sense! Both are crocodile based Pokemon, so it would make sense for them to be related. Perhaps, then, the other name similarities (Woobat, Pidove) are not so superficial as they seem.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:19 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

When I look at the English names or Roobushin's evo line all I see is durr durr durr.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:42 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wow I can't believe it I have been gone so long I didn't see this thread well I just got one thing to say I like the names

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

about he newest names->

Timburr-> ok, not what i was expecting. A little strange , but I can get use to it.

Tymburr-> I dont get.. The first name I get, this one.... I may need a lot of time to get used to it

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

GofD wrote:
about he newest names->

Timburr-> ok, not what i was expecting. A little strange , but I can get use to it.

Tymburr-> I dont get.. The first name I get, this one.... I may need a lot of time to get used to it

I'm thinking you meant Tympole.

And, which city is this:

~

WAIT! I found out:

Nacrene City (Shippou City)
From Bulbanews.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:09 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

*Spoiler Alert* (I didn't read them, I want to find out on my own :))

Gym Leader Names
Highlight to view spoiler.
* Cilan/Chili/Cress
* Lenora (Aloe)
* Burgh (Arti)
* Elesa (Kamitsure)
* Clay (Yacon)
* Skyla (Fuuro)
* Brycen (Hachiku)
* Drayden (Shaga)
* Iris

City Names
- Nuvema Town
- Striaton City
- Nacrene City
- Castelia City
- Nimbasa City
- Undella Town
- Lacunosa Town
- Opelucid City
- Icirrus City
- Mistralton City
- Driftveil City

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:32 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Manafi wrote:
*Spoiler Alert* (I didn't read them, I want to find out on my own :))

Gym Leader Names
* Cilan/Chili/Cress
* Lenora (Aloe)
* Burgh (Arti)
* Elesa (Kamitsure)
* Clay (Yacon)
* Skyla (Fuuro)
* Brycen (Hachiku)
* Drayden (Shaga)
* Iris

City Names
- Nuvema Town
- Striaton City
- Nacrene City
- Castelia City
- Nimbasa City
- Undella Town
- Lacunosa Town
- Opelucid City
- Icirrus City
- Mistralton City
- Driftveil City

Why is it that I get a feeling that a lot of the English names in Unova have a Japanese resemblance?

Anyways.

With the rumored list being proven true one by one, what do you think Moeletta, Keldeo, and Genesect's English names are?

I think it'll be:

Moeletta will either retain its Japanese name, or it'll be turned into Balletta or Ballaletta.
Keldeo will almost certainly retain its Japanese names, or will be turned into Keldion like all the other Musketeers.
Genesect will retain it's Japanese name.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next