It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Magic: The Gathering Discussion Thread 
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Talk about Magic here. Or just post your decks so people can critique them. It'll be fun.

I run Vampires (non-competitively), here's my deck:

Creatures:
Vampire Nighthawk = 4
Pulse Tracker = 3
Gull Draz Vampire = 2
Bloodhusk Ritualist = 2
Vampire Lacerator = 1
Gatekeeper of Malakir = 1
Malakir Bloodwitch = 1
Anowon, the Ruin Sage = 1
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief = 1
Nirkana Revenant = 1

Other Spells:
Sign in Blood = 3
Tendrils of Corruption = 3
Doom Blade = 2
Corrupt = 2
Ichor Slick = 1
Nameless Inversion = 1
Hideous End = 1
Mire's Toll = 1
Bad Moon = 1
Sword of Vengeance = 1
Duress = 1
Urge to Feed = 1
Liliana Vess = 1

Lands:
Swamp = 24

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Last edited by Mektar on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Magic is a fun game. Definitely a game that I have spent alot of money on, if people think Yu-Gi-Oh's banlist is bad then they don't know what bad is until they see what Magic bans. Still Magic is unlike Yu-Gi-Oh as there are far few staples in Magic decks, given the type of deck then there are cards that should be in it, but hardly anyone card is good in every single deck. Anyway I run an Elf deck mainly and its by far the best deck I have made. I use it in the tournaments that the local gamer's association hold, obviously Vintage formats only as it is the only format that this deck can really play in unhindered. Here is the decklist.

Artifacts
1x Sword of Body and Mind
2x Umbral Mantle

Creatures
2x Drove of Elves
1x Taunting Elf
2x Wellwisher
2x Jagged-Scar Archers
1x Heedless One
1x Elvish Archdruid
4x Elvish Harbinger
4x Llanowar Elves
1x Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
1x Wilt-Leaf Liege
1x Essence Warden
1x Immaculate Magistrate
2x Bramblewood Paragon
1x Imperious Perfect
1x Joraga Warcaller
1x Wren's Run Vanquisher
1x Chameleon Colossus
1x Ezuri, Renegade Leader
1x Devoted Druid
1x Rhys the Exiled
1x Rhys the Redeemed

Land
2x Gilt-Leaf Palace
14x Forest
2x Twilight Mire

Spells
2x Naturalize
1x Stream of Life
1x Gilt-Leaf Ambush
4x Elvish Promenade

Last edited by shinashu taji on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

That deck looks pretty good. Elf decks, like the one my friend has, are always tough to beat. I have a few of those cards myself, like Joraga Warcaller and Ezuri, but I don't have nearly enough elves for a complete deck. I do have a few Wirewood Savages and Arbor Elves in my Beast deck though.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:27 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thank you for the deck compliment, it took a while to get this deck where it is. I had to edit one thing, I no longer have Nath of teh Gilt-Leaf in my deck I replaced it with a card called Devoted Druid to increase my Mana Acceleration and to help for an infinite combo. Elf decks are meant to move really fast, and my is really no exception even though the main focus is spawning tokens and creating counters on my tokens. The most mana I can produce on tour four is twelve mana, which is more than enough to play my highest costing creatures. The last vintage tournament I played this in it took second, the only person to beat me in the tournament was someone using a soldier deck that moved faster than my elves. Elves can be hard to beat once they get their momentum going and are able to gain massive amounts of life with Wellwisher. Their one weakness however are Burn decks which can usually OHKO a lot of the elves out there with stuff like Lightning Bolt, or Shock.

I like your vampire deck, but there are a few cards that I could recommend for you. One is to help your mana acceleration and that is the card Dark Ritual, for the one swamp it takes to play Dark Ritual you add three swamp until the end of the turn. Another card is a Planeswalker Sorrin Markov, which helps bring down your opponents life while you gain that much life, his ultimate effect is controlling your opponents next turn. Blood Tithe is another card where each opponent loses three life and you gain life equal to the amount that your opponents lost. The final card I could recommend is the artifact equipment Blade of the Bloodchief. Where if a monster is put into the graveyard put a +1+1 counter on the equipped creature, but if the equipped creature is a vampire you put two +1+1 counters on the equipped creature.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:46 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I do want all of those cards you just mentioned, but the only one I have is Blood Tithe. I sometimes swap it in for Multiplayer matches.

Also, I bet you were wondering why Sword of Vengeance is in there. Well, it's in there because if you manage to equip it to a Nighthawk, bad things will happen to your opponent ;)

Mektar out.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I figured there was a reason why you had it in there, but if you do manage to get a Blade of the Bloodchief I would swap it for the Sword of Vengeance. It takes six mana to actually equip the Sword of Vengeance, three to actually bring it out and three to equip it. Where it only takes two to equip the Blade of the Bloodchief, one to play it one to equip. However if you manage to get some mana acceleration in the deck then it shouldn't be a problem to have both in the deck.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:16 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

*cough*nirkanarevenant*cough*

Mektar out.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:18 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I don't really play Standard anymore, mostly because I find it to be the most unfun format on the planet. I do however play a metric ****ton of EDH Commander. I have two decks I play all the time: Rafiq of the Many and Mirri the Cursed. I'm reworking the Rafiq deck again to try and find the right balance between Aggro and Control, the Mirri deck is a SuiBlack deck with a Vampire Tribal subtheme.

Mektar, your deck looks pretty solid, I always thought Vampires was a fun tribe. If I can make a suggestion, I would say get your hands on a few more Gatekeepers of Malakir (as they're absolutely amazing), and maybe try to get some cards like Damnation or Mutilate (they're both so good it's hard to not run them in every black deck, unfortunately they're hard to come by).

shinashu, your deck looks like fun as well, Elves are a personal favorite of mine and I always manage to build an elf deck in every format I play (I even had a Nath of the Gilt-Leaf EDH deck for a while). There's little you can do to make an Elf list better besides getting your hands on more lords (like Elvish Archdruid and Imperious Perfect), and maybe some ways to protect your guys (with cards like Eldrazi Monument, Ezuri and Ascetictism), but your deck looks like it would be too much fun to run.

Despite having a distinct hatred for Standard, I do have a mono-black deck that I built at the last minute for an FNM, it did pretty well (considering it has no rares in it) only losing to a white/blue control deck that had all the cards that my deck can't really deal with, here's the list:

Creatures (22)
4x Vampire Lacerator
2x Vampire Hexmage
4x Gatekeeper of Malakir
4x Necrogen Scudder
4x Vampire Nighthawk
4x Skinrender
Other Spells (18)
2x Duress
4x Disfigure
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
4x Grasp of Darkness
4x Sign in Blood
2x Mind Sludge
Lands (20)
20 x Swamp

Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:11 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

You know what, Magus? I accually DO have a copy of Mutilate that came with my Garruk vs. Liliana Dual Decks pack. I didn't put it in because I hate destroying my own creatures. Maybe I should swap it in for Hideous End or something. And yes, I also want more Gatekeepers. But the only person I know that has some is really stingy about trading cards. He problably got that way after winning a state championship.

EDIT: I also have Consume the Meek, would that be better?

Mektar out.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:35 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Depending on the people you play with Consume the Meek could be better, if they play a bunch of elves, goblins and white weenie decks then Consume the Meek would be good. However, Mutilate is far to fantastic to pass up, yes it kills your creatures but creatures are expendable, you can always draw into more and if you don't over extend you'll probably have a few in your hand to cast right after Mutilate resolves. Also, if you can find a copy of Divine vs. Demonic, you could also put a Reiver Demon in your deck since that won't kill your guys.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:51 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I like the Eldrazi Monument idea Magus, it would really help my weaker Elves before I get some of my buffs out there, (Immaculate Magistrate, Joraga Warcaller, etc.), the upkeep cost wouldn't be a problem as in the deck it is constantly spawning Elf tokens. But you are right Magus my Elf deck is really fun to play, and given the situation I can attack with three X/X monster cards on turn four by using Umbral Mantle (X is just an arbitrarily large number that I just make up off the top of my head). I am going to a prerelease tournament for the new set, Mirrodin Besieged, and maybe I can find someone with an Eldrazi Monument that I can trade with.

Magus your deck looks pretty sweet as swell, Vampires are just as fun to play as Elves if you can get them working right. I will make a card suggestion that I made to Mektar and that is Blade of the Bloodchief it is just the perfect equip card to go into a Vampire deck suck as yours, plus your deck is proof that you don't necessarily need a lot of rares for a deck to be really good.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Speaking of the prerelease, for those who don't know it won't be like a normal prerelease. For Besieged, each player will be asked to choose a side, Mirran or Phyrexian and recieve different packs based on which side they chose. So, I'm just wondering what you guys are going to choose. I'm going to be playing on the Phyrexian side, in case you can't tell by my sig. :p

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I didn't know that Magus, this will definitely change how the tournament will play out and what cards people will be playing with. If I can tell anything about what will be in the packs from the current prerelease spoiler gallery I will be picking Phyrexia. Just because I like their cards and the Phyerxians are old and powerful enemies to the Multiverse.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

It seems cool, but I problably won't go. I have too much stuff to do. But if I did, I would go Phyrexian.

Mektar out.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

While we are on the subject of the new set is there any one particular card that you guys are itching to get and put into your decks? For me its the Sword of Feast and Famine. I want to put that in my artifact heavy deck, and it will make a great counter card against my best friend's Infect deck, which is all Black and Green.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Sangromancer, Thrun, the Last Troll, the new Tezzeret, Blightsteel Colossus (for a stupid combo deck :) ), Most of the Zenith cards (I'm not to fond of the Red one), Cryptoplasm, so there's a few I like. Most of the commons/uncommons look pretty good for Limited at least so those will be nice to get as well.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Oh yes those are a few cards there too that I would want to get and put in my artifact deck. Tezzert, Blightsteel Colossus, and Consecrated Sphinx. The Sphinx is just too good. The Zenith cards are pretty good. I really want Glissa the Traitor, to possibly rotate in and out of my Elf deck. A Zombie Elf is just too cool to pass up, besides its the promo card for the Phyrexian faction. What kind of deck are you hoping to play with at the prerelease? I'm hoping to play with an Artifact heavy deck with some Black support.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

It all really depends on my Sealed pool, being Phyrexian I probably going to be forced into playing Infect (I'm not to fond of the mechanic), due to this I'll probably be looking at cards like Viridian Corruptor, Spread the Sickness, Septic Rats, Phyrexian Crusader, Priests of Norn, Phyresis, Corrupted Conscious, etc. So probably some form of B/X Infect.

If I do manage to pull enough non-infect cards, I'll probably be looking at cards like Phyrexian Rager, Massacre Wurm, the new Glissa, Consecrated Sphinx and Phyrexian Rebirth, unfortunately almost all of the good non-infect Phyrexian cards are rare so it's doubtful I'll see very many of them. If I do, I'll probably end up in U/B or W/B.

Fortunately, if I draft this set in conjunction with Scars, the R/W tokens archetype (my favorite archetype in Scars Limited) only gets better.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah. I get that. It really does boil down to what cards you get from the packs. I might have to run an Infect deck, which like you Magus I am not too fond of. Still it will be fun and its interesting that you will be playing on the side of a particular faction that you choose.

I think that anyone choosing to play the side of Phyrexia will be forced to play Infect no matter what. The Mirran side will probably get a lot more leeway with their deck types. I am hoping that my continued luck with pulling bombs continues. Last time I got a Wurmcoil Engine in the pack and the time before that I got a 6/6 something. Ideally I would like to get cards like Phyrexian Revoker and Phyrexian Crusader. Though I don't think its fair that Mirran Crusader got Double Strike and Phyrexian Crusader gets First Strike, the only make up is that Phyrexian Crusader gets Infect, which isn't all that helpful.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I thought up a cool combo. Consecrated Sphinx + Psychosis Crawler + Spellbook + Sign in Blood (or something else that makes your opponent draw cards) = MWAHAHAHAHA

Oh, and I want Sangromancer.

Mektar out.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:55 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well you could combine some of those cards with some blue cards that make a powerful mill deck. One of my friends made a really good Blue mill deck that we called the Jace Deck because it focused on Jace Beleren and some of his other cards like Jace's Erasure. Like cards that make your opponent draw while you have Consecrated Sphinx and Jace's erasure will whittle down their deck pretty fast.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:00 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Consecrated Sphinx is so desireable in basicly any blue deck, it might just end up worth more money than Baneslayer Angel.

Mektar out.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

As I am typing this I just got home from the prerelease tournament that I went to. I had a blast with all my friends that were there, those that came with me and those that I met up there. I went with Phyrexia, partially because of the promo card Glissa the Traitor has instakill. Two of her abilities are First Strike and Deathtouch. My deck was forty five cards I think, and it was Infectish with some green support. I got a good Phyrexian card in, Phyrexian Rebirth, but I didn't get enough whites to warrant running it in the deck. Anyway here is the deck that I used during the entire tournament.

Artifacts
1x Myr Sire
1x Plague Myr
1x Core Prowler
1x Ichor Wellspring
1x Phyrexian Juggernaut
1x Leaden Myr

Creatures
1x Nested Ghoul
1x Skinrender
1x Phyrexian Crusader
1x Scourge Servant
1x Plague Stinger
1x Rot Wolf
1x Bellowing Tanglewurm
1x Carapace Forger
1x Cystbearer
1x Viridian Emissary
1x Glissa's Courier
2x Blightwidow

Spells
1x Spread the Sickness
1x Relic Putrescence
2x Virulent Wound
1x Painful Quandary
2x Morbid Plunder
1x Horrifying Revelation

Land
7x Forest
7x Swamp
1x Inkmoth Nexus

I also bought a Phyrexian symbol deck box as well as matching card sleeves to go with it, just because I felt like splurging a bit and getting into the game a bit more.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I unfortunately wasn't able to make it to the prerelease today, nor will I be able to go tomorrow. :( It's a shame, since I really wanted to try this whole faction thing out. Oh well.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:35 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The faction thing was an awesome idea and I would like to see some more of it in the future. My friend chose Mirran as his faction and we opened our packs from across each other and we got each other mirror cards. I got a Glissa's Courier and he got a Koth's Courier, I got a Phyrexian Crusader, he got a Mirran Crusader. It was a jolly good time, and playing Phyrexian has made me like the whole Infect mechanic and I am building an Infect deck.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next