It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Time for a Revolution (Webcomic!) 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Permit me to appologize in advance for plugging my own webcomic, but everyone's got to start somewhere. This is a Pokemon forum, and this is where all the fancy art goes, so I figured "Eh, what the heck, why not?." Anyway, enough intro talk...

Welcome to the world of Pokeyman: Revolution.

...wait, no, don't leave!

I know what you're thinking. "Oh, great. Yet another Pokemon comic. I wonder what moronic sprite-based misadventures they'll get into? Eh, this just isn't worth my time."

Before the odd choice of name leads you away, I'll let you know two things. One: this is a hand-drawn comic, not sprite-based. Two: this comic focuses less on the Pokemon (3 chapters in and they've barely made an appearance, though they'll become more important later on) and more on the characters in the world. Really, I like to think of it as more of a character analysis that happens to take place in the Pokemon universe. You'll find no Ash Ketchum here: all of these characters are original.

If your world was suddenly turned upside-down, how would you react? How would you survive in a world where you suddenly find yourself as the lowest on the food chain? When the Pokemon turn feral, what do you do?

This isn't just an advertising plug: I'd be happy to hear any critiques, both positive and negative. (Stick with it; the art and overall consistency improves as you go along.) The thing I like the most about these shameless plugs is that they can help your comic to grow!

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It's ok, a little too texty for my liking, forgive me for just rushing through it but I kinda got bored with it. I feel like I'm reading a comic for a sitcom/drama as opposed to Pokemon - I know you've explained it and all but I think that a bigger emphasis on Pokemon might make the story more interesting- it seems like a lot of the situations in your story could happen at anyone's workplace, or anyone's social event. I don't know what your ultimate goal is but if you're trying to primarily make these about your characters, I would probably suggest making them a lot more "quirky" - because right now they're just... standard, snide commenty passive aggressive characters you see basically anywhere

good work on the layouting and artwork though. Very nice, ill pop in every once in a while and see how you progress. Just dont give up on it hoookay? Ill be interested to see if you disagree with me on anything too.

Good luck though! :)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Thanks for commenting! I can understand your comments, and I can agree with most of them. When I look back on the earlier pages (blechhh), I realize now that I could have split up the word-heavy pages, focusing more on the artwork instead of dialogue. It was a beginner's mistake which I'm trying to avoid in future conversations. The one thing I will disagree with you on is the quirkiness of the characters...you just haven't seen enough of a certain sword-wielding Pokemon-slaying badass yet. (And you definitely haven't seen all three characters in the same room together!)

As for the lack of an emphasis on Pokemon, you'll just have to forgive me for giving the comic a bit of a slow start. These first few chapters are meant to focus on the three main protagonists. Trust me, you'll be seeing a lot more action scenes and focus on Pokemon in later chapters. I promise I'll keep on truckin' (in fact, expect an update later today), and I'll hopefully be able to turn this into something everyone will want to read!

Once again, thanks for your thoughts, and thanks for reading! :D

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]