It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Breeding Ups and Downs 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I always thought it would be nice to have a place to ask breeding questions, boast awesomeness or share breeding woes. I looked around, but didnt find such a thread, so I'm starting one.
This thread is meant mainly for those of us who still do things the hard way, breeding without RNG abuse or any cheating devices, but anyone is welcome to share.
i suppose I shall start this off =)

Up: Managed to breed a Female Ralts with Trace, Modest nature (+Sp. Atk, -Attack) and max IVs in everything but attack, which was around 13-14. my most epic breed ^_^ I've been trying to get another poke as good ever since.

Down: Today I was breeding Houndours. I was aiming for speed nature with Flash Fire and max IVs in Attack / Sp. Atk / Speed. I came close....
Male Houndour with Flash Fire, BOLD nature (which is +Def, -Attack), Max IVs in everything EXCEPT Defense. I was thinking I could still work with that, but then checked the Defense IV.... which is one. and its HP is Dark. I think I'll just use him for breeding.... T.T

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Up: The Togekiss that I bred and still use was bred successfully - Serene Grace with a Modest nature. Turned out with great IVs! Too bad I failed at EV training it.

Down: I have not, for the life of me, been able to breed a simple Adamant Magikarp. Let alone good IVs, I've never gotten the nature.

~A haiku

I disable smilies because I do not smile.

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:15 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

LeoTheLion wrote:
Down: I have not, for the life of me, been able to breed a simple Adamant Magikarp. Let alone good IVs, I've never gotten the nature.

that sucks :( I tend to do batches of ~300 eggs, so i'll usually get at least one with the right nature. but now that i'm aiming for specific natures / abilities and IVs, I'll have runs where I just cant quite get the right mix. times like those i wish i had a flawless IV ditto of the nature in question to help me out :P

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:07 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Luna decided to breed a {taillow} she could use in the Battle Frontier, this is how it went...

Luna : Okay, So I caught 2 Taillow in the wild & then breed them to get another Taillow which I decided to then just breed to get the moves I wanted, I breed it with a Staraptor once it became a Swellow, both were done with training & afterwards I had around 30 Taillows & I had to pick 2 of them to breed together. The specs for the Taillows I decided on was as followed(note I am breeding with the EV training items);

No.19 / Female / Jolly / Alert to Sounds
IV Spreads
HP = 23-25 ATK = 30-31(high chance of being 31) DEF = 14-16 SPE = 31(characteristic proves it) SPATK = 19-21 SPDEF = 25-27

No.23 / Male / Brave / Capable of Taking Hits
IV Spreads
HP = 23-25 ATK = 18-20 DEF = 31(characteristic proves it) SPE = 31(I know it's 31 due to Battle Tower guy's analysis) SPATK = 31(Same as with SPE) SPDEF = 10-12

I was looking for the following specs;

No.? / Either / Adamant / a good characteristic
IV Spreads
HP = 30-31 ATK = 31 DEF = 30-31 SPE = 31 SPATK = 0-31(do not care) SPDEF = 25-31

So I decided to breed the 2 of them until I got 1 with the Adamant Nature, I got what I wanted kind of quickly & here is what I got(note that I stop breeding with the EV Training Items at this point, don't ask why, okay?);

Male / Bashful / Alert to Sounds
IV Spreads
HP = 20-22 ATK = 30-31 DEF = 29-31 SPE = 31(characteristic proves it) SPATK = 19-21 SPDEF = 31
(was most shocked by SPDEF being 31 with this 1)

Female / Adamant / Capable of Taking Hits
IV Spreads
HP = 20-22 ATK = 6-8 DEF = 31(characteristic proves it) SPE = 14-16 SPATK = 31 SPDEF = 10-12
(besides the nature, there is no use for this 1 besides it's DEF IV)

So I decided to get another Adamant Nature Taillow I breed earlier on as it had better IVs & breed it with the Bashful 1 I just got until I got the following set finally...

{taillow} / LV1 / Female / Guts
Moveset = Whirlwind / Brave Bird / Aerial Ace / Agility
Characteristic = Likes to thrash about (ATK IV = 31)
HP = 30 / ATK = 31(Char.) / DEF = 31 / SPATK = 7-12 / SPDEF = 22-24 / SPE = 31

Looking Back on it = I breed a Taillow that almost meet my standards, I just dealt with the SPDEF & the HP IV while I wanted 31, 30 was not so bad. I stopped breeding them with the EV Training Items I had been breeding with before due to the fact that I wanted the HP IV to be 31 & it is the hardest IV to interit. I wanted Taillow to have Brave Bird & Whirlwind & the only pokemon I had that learned these both by level was Starly/Staraptor so that had to be done first, I actually breed Swellow & Staraptor only until I got a Male Taillow for obvious reasons, I then breed it with the Swellow that already breed with Staraptor once trained to a level where it didn't grow fast to get the 30 Taillows. The best part of this experience was that I obtained a Taillow that actually had a decent HP IV & was Adamant, the first of the 30 Taillows I breed had a 30 HP IV that was characteristically proven but was not much else along the lines of IVs.

Next is Plusle as Shellos/Gastrodon is not obtainable for me right now in Soul Silver...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:51 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I dont do alot of breeding but when I do it mostly ends badly..

Up- Managed to get hydro pump bagon for my platinum game by breeding in emerald.

Down- After 2 weeks of breeding for an adamant shuckle- I FINALLY got one. It had the right speed Ivs I was looking for, but after Ev training it (I HATE HAVING TO WRITE DOWN THE FREAKIN EVS), teaching it earthquake, bug bite, power trick+ stone edge. I found out it had 0 Iv's in defense......... But Im still gonna us it CAUSE I DONT WANT TO TRY BREEDING ANOTHER ONE!!!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

" {taillow} / LV1 / Female / Guts
Moveset = Whirlwind / Brave Bird / Aerial Ace / Agility
Characteristic = Likes to thrash about (ATK IV = 31)
HP = 30 / ATK = 31(Char.) / DEF = 31 / SPATK = 7-12 / SPDEF = 22-24 / SPE = 31"

thats a nice taillow =) i had been using one in sapphire recently, and its a pretty fun pokemon. i may breed myself a fancy one to play around with.

@GofD, EV training has to be my least fave part of training a pokemon. even with pkrs and power items, i lose track of what I'm doing far too easily and often have to reset. "was that 12 magikarps? or 11? bah! *soft reset* let's try that again with less fail at counting" :P
If ever you do decide to breed another shuckle, you may want to grab yourself an adamant ditto and make it hold an everstone. 50% chance of getting your adamant shuckle that way =)

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:45 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thats what I did.... But I wasnt gettin the right speed Ivs. I was gettin roughly in the 20-30 range, when I needed it in the 0~10 range for trick room to wrok its magic.. And I just relized this now it was BRAVE nature shuckle I was after... See I did so much breeding for it I dont remember what it is..

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Up: Managed to breed several pokes, including my Hasty {charmander} with 31 Speed IVs and other good IVs (but its attack IV was pretty meh), my Calm {squirtle} with Haze and good IVs, and my Sassy {shuckle} with good IVs! You bet how happy I was (With Shuckle!)

Down: Breeding takes seriously long to do. I seriously wish Gamefreak didn't invent Natures or EVs because if I have a poke that I just had it battle random foes, I would feel like it is weaker than it should be. Gamefreak should have just forgot EVs and natures and kept Stat Exp instead. Even if it makes your pokemon slightly weaker, it would surely make it EASIER to train, and all you would have to worry about is good IVs (and maybe Stat Exp.)

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

IVs are what I have a problem with, they are outrageously unpredictable & unless you are cheating in some sense of the world, getting a pokemon with the exact & I mean exact IVs you want in each individual stat is borderline impossible, even with HGSS having the EV training Items as a help when passing on what IVs you want.

EVs are only a problem for me due to the fact that Gamefreak thought it was a good idea to keep the numbers hidden which is just stupid imo...

Stat Exp. I never really got but to be fair, I didn't exactly try to learn about them either so I don't know, what are the limits?...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, even if you have flawless IV ditto + power item, its still rough to get what you want. is it possible to get flawless IV dittos of every nature? or are there some natures + flawless IV spreads that just never occur?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Dangertrout wrote:
Yeah, even if you have flawless IV ditto + power item, its still rough to get what you want. is it possible to get flawless IV dittos of every nature? or are there some natures + flawless IV spreads that just never occur?

I hate to break it to you, but it is all luck, I got lucky by obtaining a Ditto with 31 SPATK IVs & 31 DEF IVs & it had a decent IV somewhere else, & most of the ones I catch have at least 1 IV that is at least 26 that is it's highest IV, the Ditto with those good IVs in SPATK & DEF is Bashful Natured...

I only would even try to say that about Legendary Pokemon IVs as they are literally hell trying to get with good IVs...

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:29 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
Dangertrout wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but it is all luck, I got lucky by obtaining a Ditto with 31 SPATK IVs & 31 DEF IVs & it had a decent IV somewhere else, & most of the ones I catch have at least 1 IV that is at least 26 that is it's highest IV, the Ditto with those good IVs in SPATK & DEF is Bashful Natured...

I only would even try to say that about Legendary Pokemon IVs as they are literally hell trying to get with good IVs...

oh i know, without RNG abuse its practically impossible to get flawless IV anything. (my record is 5 max IVs, which I've only hit twice in the thousands of eggs i've hatched) I was just wondering if the one in a billion chance was there at all, because having a flawless IV timid / jolly / modest / adamant US ditto to throw an everstone on would really make my life easier :P

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:45 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

This is gonna be a stupid question: What is RNG abusing? I ve seen the term a few times, but i have no idea what the heck it means.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't do it so i'm not 100% sure how it works, but from what i understand there's a program you can dl that will help you determine when you'll get certain nature / IV spreads or shiny pokes. (RNG = Random Number Generator) You need to know your secret ID to do it, and theres a bunch of things you have to enter into it to calculate the thing you want. in DPPt you could use the poketch to skip through the numbers to get to the one you wanted. not sure how you do it in HG/SS, but it seems to involve calling prof. oak.

i know my explanation isnt very clear... maybe someone adept at RNG abuse could answer a little better =)

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Okay Dangertrout, you explanation is good but as with any explanation without a link, lacking in detail, not your fault of course...

GofD, see Dangertrout's answer & then click on this link for the extra info you need in regards to RNG Abuse...

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

well, i was trying to explain it without linking to another website :P

in other news, my houndour batch turned out alright in the end. I didn't get another one with 5 max IVs, but the one i got for my own nefarious purposes was pretty good:
Male, Flash Fire, Naive, [HP 31 / A 29 / D 26-27 / SA 31 / SD 31 / S 31] Its missing 2 points in attack, but i think i'll live :D

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:54 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Dangertrout wrote:
well, i was trying to explain it without linking to another website :P

in other news, my houndour batch turned out alright in the end. I didn't get another one with 5 max IVs, but the one i got for my own nefarious purposes was pretty good:
Male, Flash Fire, Naive, [HP 31 / A 29 / D 26-27 / SA 31 / SD 31 / S 31] Its missing 2 points in attack, but i think i'll live :D

That is an awesome Houndour...better get back to doing that soon I guess...

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i know i've read the answer somewhere before, but i'm hopeful that someone will tell me it was wrong....
if i have a ditto and a female pokemon, and give the female poke an everstone, will it get the 50% chance to pass the nature? or does the everstone trick really only work on the ditto in that situation?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Dangertrout wrote:
i know i've read the answer somewhere before, but i'm hopeful that someone will tell me it was wrong....
if i have a ditto and a female pokemon, and give the female poke an everstone, will it get the 50% chance to pass the nature? or does the everstone trick really only work on the ditto in that situation?

I remember it saying somewhere that Ditto always acts as the mother when breeding so even that being said, I have no clue actually, should probably try that out by breeding 3 to 5 pokemon using the method cause you are bound to get 1 of them with the right nature if it works...

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:16 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well I am currently breeding bronzors, cause the bronzong I made for a single trick room power trick shuckle team doesnt really work (actually the whole freakin team didnt work out as planned) so now im workin on a double trick room power trick shuckle team, and my bronzong has been broken by me. So im gonna try and get a +sp.att -speed natured bronzor with low speed Iv's (or maybe just the nature, I dont seem to have luck with Iv's..)

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Lawence Codye wrote:
Dangertrout wrote:

I remember it saying somewhere that Ditto always acts as the mother when breeding so even that being said, I have no clue actually, should probably try that out by breeding 3 to 5 pokemon using the method cause you are bound to get 1 of them with the right nature if it works...

heh, while trying to find a convenient list of differences in breeding between gen IV and gen V I came across this on bulbapedia:
"In Generation IV, in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, inheriting natures remains the same as in Emerald. However, in the Johto remakes, HeartGold and SoulSilver, inheriting Nature was changed a little. Whichever Pok

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Thanks. I kinda dont need to chain ditto's cause I own emerald and have a bunch of ditto's I caught from my previous breeding project, I just havent transfered them all over yet. Oh and for the record I own platinum, so im juts gonna have to wing it for the most part. Im not gonna start the breeding yet cause I am currently taking a little break from gaming cause I've playing a bit to much latley, so im gonna give my eyes a little break for a bit.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

hurrah for the everstone trick! i'm aiming for a couple awesome Smeargle atm. one male with good stats for breeding with, so nature doesn't matter, and one Jolly one with good stats. its such a nice change to have about half your pokemon being the right nature. i love my flawless foreign ditto, but i couldnt lock natures and i never got any shinies via masuda method :(

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, I got my quiet natured bronzor. It has pretty good Hp, Att and sp. Att ivs, but its speed Iv is around 30. I managed to get another one with aquiet nature, but it didnt have the sp.att iv i was lookin for. Im currently ev training the bronzor i mentioned earlier.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

victory is mine! I have a male smeargle with: HP 31 / Atk 29 / Def 31 / S. Atk 31 / S. Def 31 / Speed 10. Bad nature, but he's meant for breeding. (sketch moves to pass along to pokes in his egg group) That should speed things up, my last smeargle was pretty bad stat-wise. With this guy I'll be able to lock a maxed stat right away :P Now to check the IVs on all the Jolly smeargles I bred. ^_^

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next