It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 If I were to rate this forum, it'll be an A-, for Awful. 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Why?

Here's why:

At first, I thought of this forum as a good one. Until I noticed something important was missing.

What is this?

The welcoming committee. T.T

~

I have a lot of accounts in a lot of forums. All of them had problems, but not as big as this...(and the first forum I joined.)

So, what do I mean by the welcoming committee? Newbies here are being flamed by the almighty "elites" for being stupid. I've visited the the mysterius lintaro's lair and a lot of the posts there are made by newbies, and are just not so smart questions. But do they deserve having their topics sent their for being stupid and new? No.

~
Example 1:

THE RED GRYADOS

So. Even though a lot of people know that there isn't a red Gyarados in Emerald and FireRed, but does this topic deserve to be in the lair?

THEY'RE CALLED NEWBIES FOR GOD'S SAKE! THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING YET!

And because of the almighty "elites" thinking, "Oh, they're so stupid and I have the power to move this topic. CLICK!"

This is a really insulting form of flaming. Just because the "elites" have more experience than the newbies, they still don't have the right to make fun of them for being stupid, or should I say, new.

One thread that I read from the lair (IDK remember it though) that said something about how people should respect the the mods and admins...but how about respecting the newbies?

I'm not being mean to the mods and admins or any other people who have higher ranks. I'm just annoyed on the dozen of posts with higher ranked members flaming newbies for not knowing what happens in a forum. I suggest that in threads that are not as smart, you should just politely tell them about what's wrong in what they are doing.

In one thread a newbie said he/she does not know what a "thread" is. And what does the higher rank members say? They just flame him/her for being stupid.

Please! Stop this! I've been to a forum that has trolling problems, mod and admin inactivity, flaming, and many more. Please be more welcoming to newbies! So what if the internet turned into a "playground" for kiddies?

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:07 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Dude, why didn't anyone tell me the Elites were back? I mean, they handed over control of the forums 4 years ago.

Man, if I had known they'd come back in the 3 months you've been here, it could've saved me so much dealing with the same 10 questions over and over of "I'm to lazy to find the information on the site, so you go find it and spoonfeed it to me."

Man, this is like the best New Years ever! PARTY ON!

Oh, and to answer your question, the "welcoming committee" is over here. Also, why is this posted in the bug forum? This has nothing to do with anything this forum is meant for.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Oops. Wait. I meant the higher rankers.

I'm used to call anyone who has a high rank elite. Cuz that's what we call them in my first forum. And BTW. You've just proved my point.

~

READ:

Impersonation wrote:
I have a lot of accounts in a lot of forums. All of them had problems, but not as big as this...(and the first forum I joined.)

So, what do I mean by the welcoming committee? Newbies here are being flamed by the almighty "elites" for being stupid. I've visited the the mysterius lintaro's lair and a lot of the posts there are made by newbies, and are just not so smart questions. But do they deserve having their topics sent their for being stupid and new? No.

Oh yeah

I love you Win 7 for putting the Snipping tool. :D

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Last edited by Impersonation on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Which point would that be? The "BAWWW the mods are so corrupt for getting mad at people for breaking the rules!!!" Or perhaps you're referring to the "BAWWWW the admins are so mean because they expect people to actually use the resources they have and follow the rules?"

Do tell.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Also, the example cited from Lintaro's Lair was probably moved there due to a combination of blatantly disregarding the site as a resource and disregarding the rules of the English language (or, pretending for a second that English is not the user's first language, the rules of netiquette) in general.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:54 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Read my last post.

And to answer your question, neither. It's just that even though a lot of useless threads are coming up, it's still not a reason to get get angry at newbies. Even if you don't get angry, in a the "elites" actions, it portrays it. I know it's a hard job, but still, a lot of the thread in the lair are not supposed to be there. It's just to harsh and humiliating to get your own thread sent to the lair when you don't even know a thing of what's happening.

@Frost: Two words: Politely Explain.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:58 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Impersonation wrote:

Allow me to point out how the English language works, my friend. The part on the left of the dash is further explained by the part on the right. That is, the right is a subset of the left. Therefore, "suggestions you have for the... forums" means "hey, this isn't working" or "hey, you should add this feature/MOD." So no, your post still has nothing to do with what this forum is here for.

Also, if anyone is a new user and doesn't bother to read the rules or use the resources available to them, no one is obligated to baby them for it. Deal with it. It's a new user's responsibility to read the rules and all the other announcement and sticky topics BEFORE posting. It is NOT the staff's, nor any other member's, job to hold their hand through the process. Hell, I ever go so far as to email every single approved COPPA user explicit instructions to read what's out there before posting, but it has done little to stop the flood of "I'm new and can't be bothered to learn how this system works, do it all for me."

The Lair exists for a very simple purpose; having your thread moved there is a clear sign that you're obviously not doing the whole "member of the forums" thing correctly. Thousands of people have no problem whatsoever being proper members of this community; no one is obligated to go out of their way for the handful that can't be bothered to try.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Jigglypuff wrote:
Impersonation wrote:

Allow me to point out how the English language works, my friend. The part on the left of the dash is further explained by the part on the right. That is, the right is a subset of the left. Therefore, "suggestions you have for the... forums" means "hey, this isn't working" or "hey, you should add this feature/MOD." So no, your post still has nothing to do with what this forum is here for.

Hey, you should add a new feature, it's called being polite.

And it also states PROBLEMS.

Jigglypuff wrote:
Impersonation wrote:
Also, if anyone is a new user and doesn't bother to read the rules or use the resources available to them, no one is obligated to baby them for it. Deal with it. It's a new user's responsibility to read the rules and all the other announcement and sticky topics BEFORE posting. It is NOT the staff's, nor any other member's, job to hold their hand through the process. Hell, I ever go so far as to email every single approved COPPA user explicit instructions to read what's out there before posting, but it has done little to stop the flood of "I'm new and can't be bothered to learn how this system works, do it all for me."

The Lair exists for a very simple purpose; having your thread moved there is a clear sign that you're obviously not doing the whole "member of the forums" thing correctly. Thousands of people have no problem whatsoever being proper members of this community; no one is obligated to go out of their way for the handful that can't be bothered to try.

But does the rules say what threads are? What an avatar is? What a siggie is? What a post is? And all the other foruming terms? I finally had it when I read about the what is a thread thing and then the other members just cal him/her that he/she is stupid.

~

Let me ask you. If you were new at something, you've read the rules and everythin, but you made a mistake, and then the experienced people made fun of you, how would you feel?

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:08 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Impersonation wrote:
But does the rules say what threads are? What an avatar is? What a siggie is? What a post is? And all the other foruming terms? I finally had it when I read about the what is a thread thing and then the other members just cal him/her that he/she is stupid.

As a matter of fact... As for basic things like "what is a post?" if you don't know it, you don't belong on a forum, plain and simple. There are more than enough places out there to educate yourself on those matters, and it's not that difficult to learn it as you go.

Impersonation wrote:
Let me ask you. If you were new at something, you've read the rules and everythin, but you made a mistake, and then the experienced people made fun of you, how would you feel?

Like I ought to make an effort to better myself and learn from my mistake. It's called personal growth.

And really, I have to ask; just who are you trying to White Knight for? You keep harping on the Lair, but there's been two posts moved there since you joined these forums. So, of the fraction of a percent of the people you could be trying to stand up for, none of them have even been around while you have, so where exactly are you coming from with this?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

The first forum I ever joined was the greatest forum ever in my opinion. But because trolls came up. Elites flamed newbies. Admins and Mods quit. It's now dead place. The greatest forum ever is now a ghost place. It's a rare sight to see another person to be online. I love forums for some reason. And I just don't want to see another one go down to bits. I'm not here to make anyone feel bad. I just want to stop flaming and trolling in the internet. Little by little.

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:22 pm
Psypoke Legend
Psypoke Legend

If people actually took the time to use the resources already available to them, such as the FAQs and Rules then perhaps we wouldn't be the jaded and cynical administrative staff that we are. The rules and FAQs are available as links at the top of every page and it does not excuse people's ignorance. We are in the age where the answers to practically everything you could possibly want are at your fingertips on a website called Google. Why should we bother expending time and effort to be nice and tolerable to these people when they clearly have not read the rules?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20284 Here's a post where the "newbie" has a) posted in the wrong forum, b) double posted and c) failed to understand the concept of a bulletin board and treated it like an Instant Messaging program, yet the two staff who replied were courteous and helpful in assisting the original poster.

Here's another great example viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27586 of where the original poster has rudely named the title of the thread "Fail" and proceeded to point out what is an honest mistake, yet the admin revered for being horribly mean refrains from stooping to a similar level and simply rebukes the points brought forward. If Frost was as mean as everyone claims him to be, he could have warned or banned the user, or insulted him, but of course people don't realise nor do they really appreciate just all the little things that we as a staff do.

You know, I seriously doubt people will even bother reading this ridiculously long post, but of course, that just proves MY point, doesn't it?

Of course I am not saying that we have the best staff in the world and of course we are a bit rude to people, but seriously, we aren't the worst forum on the planet and we can hardly be expected to show any kind of sincerity to people who type and act like immature brats, nor can we be expected to be continuously happy robots whose purpose is solely to answer everything and attend to peoples' needs. Over the Internet, the only means of gauging a person's personality is by the way they type, and if you type like a moron, you'll be treated like a moron. Can you really expect me to be polite and courteous and full of ^_^ smilies in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12027

By the way, if you are going to point out flaws with the staff, I'd appreciate some concrete evidence and references to particular posts rather than making blanket statements. It shows you've done your research and it means we're more likely to take you seriously.

You say you want to stop flaming and trolling on the Internet, but I guarantee you that needs to come from a user-perspective first rather than a staff perspective. You can't say I haven't tried because I posted this thread viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11655 many years ago in an attempt to haul the state of the forums out of the proverbial cesspool. In an attempt to get the community more involved and to let them get to know the staff better, we ran a series of interviews with various staff members, which quickly degraded into a "WOULD YOU MARRY X OR Y?" farce. Incidents like these don't serve well for staff morale, you know.

We appreciate your concern for the site, we really do, but I don't see these problems disappearing any time soon, nor do I see the forums going "down to bits".

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Sigh. It's just that's what happened...people ignored it. It ended up with it gone. I'll be honest, I'm having fun here in the Psypoke Forums, I just want a more friendly environment. Don't be judgmental. At my first forum, I've read and reread the rules. But still got flamed for my bad grammar and not knowing what a forum is. And one time, I accidentally posted twice, not knowing how to delete a post. So no one can say that every newbie that did something wrong didn't read the rules.

~

@TonberryKing: About the thread, courteousness and politeness still helps. No one wants to be greeted harshly right?

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't care about welcoming Newbies because there are too many of them, There are over 13,000 members that never made it past the first 25 posts, thats a lot of newbies to deal with
considering less then 1,300 people are considered active members, that means less than 1% of every new member will actually be worth talking to.
I mean look we had 13 new members yesterday(its 1/2/2011 here)
Re-guarding posting {jigglypuff} is right there are SO many resources here, and if you can't find an answer mods/members are happy to help, they just don't like having to delete all the questions thats are spewed all over the wrong places.
There are many more threads and posts that are just deleted, the lair is for funny ones, the make full time members laugh
Like this very pointless one "why dogs eat poop"

In short its hard to always be accommodating to everyone, if not down right impossible.

PS I have a thread in the lair and I now know that it very much deserves to be there

EDIT: Forgot welcoming

Last edited by /vXv\ on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:41 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I think you're confusing "snarky and sarcastic" with "insulting and deriding". You should definitely check up on the difference between those terms.

I feel the staff here is very approachable and respectful to the vast majority of the users. Believe me, it didn't always use to be that way - in my first year or so there was a great deal of corruption and bullying. But when they got called out on it en masse by the non-mods (yes, I was among this group), the staff worked to change and as a whole became much more acceptable to the public eye. Now, you can go to any mod individually with a complaint or request for whatever reason - whether its someone who is being a nusance to you, or a specific question about a certain sub-forum they moderate, etc. - and they will try their best to assist you, whether it be finding help from a higher-up if they can't do it themselves, or pointing out where you may have gone wrong. That said;

TonberryKing wrote:
Over the Internet, the only means of gauging a person's personality is by the way they type, and if you type like a moron, you'll be treated like a moron.

You know the whole thing about how you never forget a first impression? Here's proof that its true. If your first post is "i haet bidoosh {bidoof} it looks st00pid d3m0n hamster :evil: :evil: :evil: " (god, its hard to type like that) then we aren't going to take you very seriously. We're trying to promote intelligent, insightful discussions here, and that just doesn't cut it. And as for those who don't read the rules, the login page itself says:

Quote:
Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

If you can't follow the rules, you don't deserve to be here, plain and simple. Every topic that gets moved into mll deserves to be there.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:46 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I wanted to chime in with one quick observation: the most recent post in the mysterius lintaro's lair was made on September 21st. That means it's been over 3 months since the staff decided a topic was bad enough to go in there, which certainly doesn't seem (to me at least) to indicate that the mods are abusing that power.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

/vXv\ wrote:
We don't care about Newbies because there are too many of them, There are over 13,000 members that never made it past the first 25 posts, thats a lot of newbies to deal with
considering less then 1,300 people are considered active members, that means less than 1% of every new member will actually be worth talking to.

Actually, new members do matter for the continued growth of the forum. Also, you don't speak for the staff, so don't be going around telling people "we" don't care about new members.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Whoops I forgot a word. I meant to say is
Quote:
don't care about welcoming Newbies

I agree with JP that new members are important to site growth,
also the whole part about knowing you by what you type is very true,
Which is why I general I tend not to interact with members till they get past the 25 post count,
In general I think that a lot of newbies join for a single reason, whether it be to ask an in-game question,
trade for a pokemon they need, or just to battle and then chances are you won't see them ever again.

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:24 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

/vXv\ wrote:
I don't care about welcoming Newbies because there are too many of them, There are over 13,000 members that never made it past the first 25 posts, thats a lot of newbies to deal with
Re-guarding posting {jigglypuff} is right there are SO many resources here, and if you can't find an answer mods/members are happy to help, they just don't like having to delete all the questions thats are spewed all over the wrong places.
There are many more threads and posts that are just deleted, the lair is for funny ones, the make full time members laugh
Like this very pointless one "why dogs eat poop"

In short its hard to always be accommodating to everyone, if not down right impossible.

PS I have a thread in the lair and I now know that it very much deserves to be there

EDIT: Forgot welcoming

Aww. And I already planned what to say.

Anywho,

EvilPenguin wrote:
I feel the staff here is very approachable and respectful to the vast majority of the users. Believe me, it didn't always use to be that way - in my first year or so there was a great deal of corruption and bullying. But when they got called out on it en masse by the non-mods (yes, I was among this group), the staff worked to change and as a whole became much more acceptable to the public eye. Now, you can go to any mod individually with a complaint or request for whatever reason - whether its someone who is being a nusance to you, or a specific question about a certain sub-forum they moderate, etc. - and they will try their best to assist you, whether it be finding help from a higher-up if they can't do it themselves, or pointing out where you may have gone wrong. That said;

Well, a lot of the things I saw were old posts. But I did find some recent ones...although they were months old.

EvilPenguin wrote:
TonberryKing wrote:
Over the Internet, the only means of gauging a person's personality is by the way they type, and if you type like a moron, you'll be treated like a moron.

You know the whole thing about how you never forget a first impression? Here's proof that its true. If your first post is "i haet bidoosh {bidoof} it looks st00pid d3m0n hamster :evil: :evil: :evil: " (god, its hard to type like that) then we aren't going to take you very seriously. We're trying to promote intelligent, insightful discussions here, and that just doesn't cut it. And as for those who don't read the rules, the login page itself says:

Quote:
Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

If you can't follow the rules, you don't deserve to be here, plain and simple. Every topic that gets moved into mll deserves to be there.

I agree with the first impression thing. But I still refuse it as an excuse to flame him/her. It's their first post. To me, it's still okay. But if they keep doing it when they're weeks old, then no. He/she needs to be taught. But not in a "WOULD FREAKING STOP!" way.

JsXtm wrote:
I wanted to chime in with one quick observation: the most recent post in the mysterius lintaro's lair was made on September 21st. That means it's been over 3 months since the staff decided a topic was bad enough to go in there, which certainly doesn't seem (to me at least) to indicate that the mods are abusing that power.

Never said anything about power abuse.

/vXv\ wrote:
Whoops I forgot a word. I meant to say is
Quote:
don't care about welcoming Newbies

Orly?

Jessie, James.
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Last edited by Impersonation on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:12 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Impersonation wrote:
Newbies here are being flamed by the almighty "elites" for being stupid. I've visited the the mysterius lintaro's lair and a lot of the posts there are made by newbies, and are just not so smart questions. But do they deserve having their topics sent their for being stupid and new? No.

My bad, you didn't say anything about power abuse, but my point still stands. Very few stupid questions are moved to Lintaro's Lair (and very few topics period), or else there would be more recent activity than 3 1/2 months ago. I guarantee that there have been plenty of stupid questions (IE questions easily answerable with information on the main site) since then.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

absoloutly right. I only signed up about a week or two ago, and already during the first week i had a moderator warning me about double posting (SOMETHING THAT WOULDNT HAPPEN IF THIS SITE WAS QUICKER). I was newer then, and i had quite a few psybucks. now i have -35 because of lagg (not on my part). I mean, cut the new guys some slack dude and dont warn until the account is at least a month old. just delete the double post instead of wasting both our times and PMing me a warning. IT MAKES ME GO :censored: :frustrated: {thunflora}

THELEGENDARY123: Proud Founder and Owner of the TL channel: Commited to bringing you the BEST pokemon banter of All time. PM thelegendary123 for availible positions!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

thelegendary123 wrote:
absoloutly right. I only signed up about a week or two ago, and already during the first week i had a moderator warning me about double posting

That's because double-posting is against the rules, which is something that all new users are expected to read and understand before posting. For that matter, so is Necromancy (reviving dead topics), which you have violated in this topic and I have delivered a warning about.
Quote:
(SOMETHING THAT WOULDNT HAPPEN IF THIS SITE WAS QUICKER).

The site runs plenty fast. If someone hasn't responded to your post five minutes after you've posted, posting again won't make anyone respond any faster.
Quote:
I was newer then, and i had quite a few psybucks. now i have -35 because of lagg (not on my part).

Quote:
I mean, cut the new guys some slack dude and dont warn until the account is at least a month old.

Why should we not hold our newer users to the same standard as our veterans?
Quote:
just delete the double post instead of wasting both our times and PMing me a warning.

I'm sure this happened the first time. After multiple offenses is when moderators deliver warnings.
Quote:
IT MAKES ME GO :censored: :frustrated: {thunflora}

tl;dr I lol'd.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:41 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
just delete the double post instead of wasting both our times and PMing me a warning.

I'm sure this happened the first time. After multiple offenses is when moderators deliver warnings.

actually, it didnt. I made sure I deleted the posts or edited them to apologise to the double post.
And as for the necromancy thingymabob, this wasnt a "Dead" post. it was near the top of the list in a forum that isnt lintaros lair, so I hardly think that taking away 50 or so psybucks for posting on one topic is fair. :?: :?:

THELEGENDARY123: Proud Founder and Owner of the TL channel: Commited to bringing you the BEST pokemon banter of All time. PM thelegendary123 for availible positions!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Go back to Nyaning, EP. His post is hardly necromancy.

I've reset your Psybucks for your trouble. Krisp's warning about double posting did come after she deleted a few of your posts.

Remember, this is a forum, not a chatroom. Replies will not be instant. Also, don't hit submit more than once. On occasion the server locks up in the middle of a post and doesn't bring you to the "post successful" page, even though it went through. If that happens, open the topic back up in a new tab to see if your post is already there.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thanks for the reset. I dont think i could have re gained any psybucks with a number that low :D

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]