It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Gen V English Name Whine & Moan Thread - all out but three 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

~A haiku

I disable smilies because I do not smile.

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:39 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I think Snivy is okay. I didn't like it at first, but it kinda grew on me.

Oshawott is pretty decent. To me it sounds like "wash an otter"

I was outraged when I saw Tepig's name. Its lack of originality makes me cry inside. I still refer to it as "Pokabu" because I refuse to call it "Tepig"

I actually like Unova a lot. It's easier for me to pronounce than "Isshu". I guess Unova could come from the combination of "uno" (which is Spanish for one, btw) and "nova" (Latin for "new"). Since Black and White is basically a new beginning for the Pokemon series (or so I've heard), Unova would be considered as the "first new region".

As for Zorua and Zoroark, I was pretty much expecting them to keep their Japanese names. The same goes for Reshiram and Zekrom.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
About the monkes, whatever. Sear (to burn), sage (a plant), and pour (self-explanatory). But why Pan? It confuzzles me. :frustrated:

Last edited by Edoc'sil on Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:46 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Mmmm, what of those names for the monkey pokemon...

All = I like this actually, I don't understand why they used "Pan" at the beginning as oppose to "ppu" at the end but it still works for me so...

Yanappu - Pansage = I kinda get why they used sage & it works so...
Baoppu - Pansear = I don't get why they used sear but it kinda works so...
Hiyappu - Panpour = I get why they used pour & it works so...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:31 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Pan comes from chimPANzee

I like all of them, but I wish they had done Pansoak instead of Panpour, since the other two are Pan+(fourletter word starting with S)

Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
:shock: Wow, I feel stupid. It all makes sense now. :?

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:24 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ok, these names dont sound all that bad, Except that Pansear makes me hungry for something pan seared....

Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

EvilPenguin wrote:
Pan comes from chimPANzee

I like all of them, but I wish they had done Pansoak instead of Panpour, since the other two are Pan+(fourletter word starting with S)

Thank you for that, EvilPenguin...I completely forgot that their was a primal species with PAN in it's name...now I like them even more & I agree, Pansoak would have sounded alot better & fitted with the other 2 better more importantly, *sign* silly people who come up with the english pokemon names couldn't think of such a thing, sad really...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:54 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

New names!

Hihidaruma = Darmanitan
Chillarmy = Minccino
Gigaiath = Gigalith
Meguroco = Sandile
Shimama = Blitzle
Gear = Klink
Mamepato = Pidove
Munna stays the same
Hiun City becomes Castelia City
Professor Araragi becomes Professor Juniper

Pidove made me facepalm. We already have an early game bird with Pid-.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

These names I dont mind for the most part.

Pidove... I now what what its based off of but I still dont get it...
Kink is more of a nickname than a species name in my mind at least.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The professor stays a tree... that much I'm happy about. At this point, the names don't draw a reaction from me. I'll get used to them anyway. >.<

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:46 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

More enigmatic names I see, ok, let's see...

Darmanitan = ...I don't even know how to respond or feel about this one, do I like it, do I hate it, is it in between, I will never know...

Minccino = Not too bad but could have been better, seriously could have been better, I can live with this one...

Gigalith = I'm assuming this is that blue & red Rock Type pokemon which to that I say, great name, they wasn't obsessed with trying to keep Gaia in it's name which is a good thing...

Sandile = this is a stupid, stupid name, I'm not even going to criticize it, it's so bad...

Blitzle = I don't get this one 1 bit but I will say that as a name in general it isn't bad, whatever, I can live with this I guess...

Klink = Why, why why did they do this one, it is a bit outrageous to have as a regular name, kind of a name given to something by someone being weird(or cute, however you want to look at it) I say...

Pidove = I just don't see why it is necessary to yet again have "pid" in a bird pokemon's name, that name has 0 originality in it what so ever... *Double Facepalm*

Munna stays the same = Good, don't want this pokemon getting a crappy name as well from people who aren't really that good at naming things...

Castelia City = I do not even care about city names in games but I will say this, it is not that bad but what was so hard about leaving it Hiun City?...

Professor Juniper = I don't know what a Juniper is & I liked Araragi way better but I can live with & get used to Juniper so sour grapes there...

Can't wait until March 6th, even with all these terrible names, I am no less exited about the game then I was before any of them was revealed...

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Everytime I hear the professor's name from now on, I'm going to get a mental image of
fgsfds

Last edited by EvilPenguin on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I actually kinda like sandile. Sounds a whole lot better than klink, and it better not evolve into klack who evolves into klunck....

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:35 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

GofD wrote:
klink, and it better not evolve into klack who evolves into klunck....

*facepalm* No, don't give them ideas.... 'cuz you know they're watching. <_< >_>

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Its better that Kiklink and Kikiklink

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:07 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I can't even say Kikiklink (racist Pokemon? Ha) the monkey names are... eh. But it's whateva', I'll live.

OH, and Juniper Lee.... hated that show WITH A PASSION. No no no no no.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:25 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Yanappu - Pansage
Baoppu - Pansear
Hiyappu - Panpour

At first, this is what I read:

Yanappu - Pancake
Baoppu - Pansyrup
Hiyappu - Panflour

BUT I LOVE THEIR NAMES THOUGH :D

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:38 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The newest names are okay, I guess. But Sandile? Pidove? Klink? What kind of names are these? I'll learn to deal with them eventually, but seriously?
I'd like to see what NoA names their children...

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:46 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Mr. Dude wrote:
I'd like to see what NoA names their children...

lol'd
Klink is an OK name, although there could have been something better. At least it wasn't "gear."
Pidove is annoying to say, but it fits the Pok

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Aphex wrote:
Mr. Dude wrote:
I'm actually fine with every English name they have given out so far, excluding Tepig, my favorite Gen V poke. Why don't I like the name? For me, it is hard to pronounce. Tay - Pig or Tee - Pig? I'm assuming it's Tay - Pig because of the word 'tepid,' although saying Tepig like that is almost difficult for me.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tepid

Anywho,

Sandile, to me, is ok. Not very creative, but I like it. Pidove is not as creative, but I got used to it already. Klink, not very creative at all, but got used to it.

To extend our reach to the stars above.
Jessie, James.
Team Rocket blasting off the speed of light!
Surrender now or prepare to fight!
Meowth, that's right!

FTW

Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:32 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

NEW NAMES!!!

Wargle is now Braviary, which I can live with. I liked Wargle so much better, though.
Minizumi is now Patrat, which is good but seems weird. Patrat - Pat Rat - Pat the rat.
Gochiruzeru is now Gothitelle. I'm okay with it.
Rankurusu is now Reuniclus, which has, like, ten different pronounciations. It's fine, though.
Desukan is now Cofagrigus. It's fine.
Mogurew is now Drilbur. I'll get used to it eventually.
Kibago is now Axew. I expected better. Kidrago would've been awesome, but there's always nicknaming.
Koromori is now Woobat, which is pretty good. If it sounds too simple, I have never heard one complaint against the name Muk. Remember that...
Musharna is now Musharna. Raise your hand if you'll have trouble adjusting to this one.

There are some abilities, moves, and characters, but I don't care about those. So that's it, I guess.

edit: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW...!
How did I not see it until just now? Woobat sounds exactly like Zubat, but with a W instead of a Z! They couldn't have come up with a name that doesn't rhyme with the Pokemon it's basically replacing?
WORST. NAME. EVER.
Did they think no one would notice? Just because the OO sound in both of them are spelled differently doesn't automatically make it a new name. How did Nintendo of America think they could get away with this ripoff. No wonder I liked the name so much! Zubat has always been one of my favorite names. This Pokemon will be nicknamed Bothom by me because it's actually a good bat name.
If its evolution is named Wolbat, I'll cry.

Last edited by Mr. Dude on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

In case anyone is interested to know the abilities, moves, etc names:

Moves:
You First/Go Ahead = After You
Double Chop = Dual Chop
Freefall = Sky Drop
Heart Stamp = Heart Stamp

Abilities:
Dust Proof = Overcoat
Sand Paddle = Sand Rush
Sand Strength = Sand Force
Mummy = Mummy
Game Sync = Game Sync

Characters:
Makomo = Fennel
Cheren = Cheren
Bel = Bianca

Misc.
Dream Smoke = Dream Mist
C-Gear = C-Gear

Nah, I don't care much for Move or Ability names.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The names hey released this time around, are ok. No real complaints from me.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:31 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Still getting used to Drilbur, Axew, and Woobat. I shall never get used to Snivy. I HATE YOU, SNIVY!!!
Anyway, I saw this list of all the Gen. V English names on two different sites. It goes from Victini to Kyurem. I'm hoping it's not real, as some of the names really suck.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next