Yes 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
No 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Certain generas 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They still make games for that? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Are CPU Games going obsolite? 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

A very simple question. Do you think cpu games are going obsolite? Do think just certain generas are dissapering from the CPU gamers list to chose from? Can you even belive that games are still being made for CPUs?

I personally think that some generas will become extinct for the CPU, and others will thrive. With the introduction of the newer consoles, Ive found that I cant find very many games for CPU. I personally belive that FPS for the CPU will no longer exist with the Wii and other consoles around, However MMO's and stragedy games such as CIV will continue to flourish. I do however think there may come a time when GOOD games will no longer be playabel on CPU's.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:48 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Not necessarily but to a degree, yes...

I don't know any other genres that any CPU Games being made will still these days except FPS, MMO, MMORPG & Dating Sims games...

There might be some Puzzle or old fashioned Adventure games but I doubt it...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

While I believe the retail PC market is fading away, the digital PC scene is flourishing. Have you ever heard of Steam? It's a digital marketplace, akin to Xbox Live Marketplace/PSN/Wii Shop, with a rather large selection of games to buy from a large spectrum of game companies and developers. It also has community features similar to consoles.

GofD wrote:
I personally belive that FPS for the CPU will no longer exist with the Wii and other consoles around

First person games (whether they are shooters or adventure games) on the PC are actually extremely popular, and have been for years (Counter-Strike, Battlefield Series, Team Fortress 2, etc). The reason is that a mouse allows for superior aiming and control VS a controller analog stick, or even the Wii. While many PC games are also available on consoles, PC versions most likely offer higher player count support, user-created servers, etc.

On top of that, there is the mod community. Mods allow players to customize, sometimes to insane extents, numerous aspects of video games. Some game developers publish their games with the mod community in mind (Valve), and this creates a unique user-created-content mixing with developer-created-content relationship. It is possible to mod console games, but it is usually difficult and you end up usually using the PC anyway. Modding on the PC can be as easy as downloading a program someone else made or simply entering a few line of text into a command console.

And of course, as you mentioned, certain niche genres really shine their best on the PC. Most RTS games suffer in translation when put on a console; not having a mouse to navigate severely hampers gameplay, so usually the game is just not the same. MMOs have been on both console and PC, but unless the community is shared (i.e. players from both platforms are on the same servers), usually the console MMOs tend to die out or remain lowly populated.

While I am not a big PC game player per se (don't have that great of computer for gaming), I do believe PC gaming is still thriving, albeit under our noses.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

PC games are not going obsolete. Their community is big, it just doesn't get much attention like console gaming. As R_R said the mod community for any game is good. TESIV has a very large mod community, and that game is about as old as the 360. PC gaming is fun, and I am about to get a PC that can handle a lot of the high end PC games. PC gaming won't die, even if it exists solely underground, it won't die ever. PC games can do so much more than consoles can, and that is one reason they will survive.

GofD wrote:
Ive found that I cant find very many games for CPU.

Look up a game called Portal. Tis fun, and its sequel is coming out soon.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

At the moment the PC scene is flourishing. However I predict it to take a drastic hit within the next 10 years. At the very least its going to have to change. With new technology, internet is not longer only available from a pc, and the surge in popularity tablets is going to lead to the near extinction of laptops and the decline in bulky desktops. Seeing how much a top of the line gaming pc costs, added to the rate you need to upgrade to stay on top, makes it very hard to justify spending the money on something that in a few years just might be only for gaming.

That being said, the core pc community is is hardcore enough that I can't see them ever dying out.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]