It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Adv Gen Standard Moveset Guide 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Heres a suggestion for {charizard} . It might not be too good,but its what my {charizard} knows.

{charizard} ,King's Rock

Wing Attack
Flamethrower
Swords Dance
Earthquake

mine's somewhat like that. But wing attack and eq uses atk, flamethrower uses sp atk. judging on your moveset, you might want to change flamethrower for a physical one.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:35 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

according to netbattle, sceptile's dragon claw and leech seed are incompatible...

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:47 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

??? Why would they be incompatible? It's a TM and egg move you're talking.

DeviantART | Webcomic | Photobucket

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm currently working on a bug team, and I've an idea for this guy:
{gligar} @leftovers
(EV's:252 spd, 252 sp.def)
(careful) |Ability: sand veil
that sums the strategy..lol
Sandstorm
Sand tomb
/Metal Claw
Toxic
EQ

problems
flying pokemon with Arial Ace,
and {whiscash}/ {skarmory} /{weezing}/{claydol}/{lunatone}/ {solrock} whose immune to toxic, sandstorm and resist to EQ.

if you switch SandTomb to Metal Claw, you can't trap the oponenet, but you're only left with {skarmory}.
EQ takes care of Ice pokemon, and your only weakness is WATER/{skarmory}.

so, do you like my gligar?

Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:44 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm currently working on a bug team, and I've an idea for this guy:
{gligar} @leftovers
(EV's:252 spd, 252 sp.def)
(careful) |Ability: sand veil
that sums the strategy..lol
Sandstorm
Sand tomb
/Metal Claw
Toxic
EQ

problems
flying pokemon with Arial Ace,
and {whiscash}/ {skarmory} /{weezing}/{claydol}/{lunatone}/ {solrock} whose immune to toxic, sandstorm and resist to EQ.

if you switch SandTomb to Metal Claw, you can't trap the oponenet, but you're only left with {skarmory}.
EQ takes care of Ice pokemon, and your only weakness is WATER/{skarmory}.

so, do you like my gligar?
EQ doesn't take care of Ice pokemon, Ice is weak against: Fire, Rock, Fighting & Steel.

Unfortunetly even if you put HP Electric in there it wouldn't do much...

I think this Gligar set might work:

{gligar} @ Lefties/Leichi Berry
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
Adamant/Jolly Ability: Sand Veil/Hyper Cutter
Toxic
Rock Slide/Earthquake
Sand Tomb
Swagger

Strategy: Trap, confuse, poison, attack. Rock Slide takes care of Ice-Types or Earthquake for the STAB.

Simple enough.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

apearantly, sand veil only works in desert, or has very little effect, as I battled for 15 minutes and my enemies didn't miss once..even with Lax Incence attached.
but Lax+ 3 double team and you're invisible to them..
last try:

{gligar} @ lax incence
Carefull | hyper cutter
double team
swagger
screech
EQ/Arial Ace

EV's on speed & sp.def.
strategy: d-team, lower the foe's deffense, then swagger. so when it attacks itself, it'll hurt. then sweep with EQ. if your attack state sucks, don't worry. you have time until something hits you..
so much for Levitate problems.. :twisted: let them kill themselves.

EQ isn't super efective to Ice? funny. :P still, STAB EQ (150 power)can handle almost anything..(and when s-e, 300!!) Rock slide is 75 power, and it has lower accuracy. you don't wanna miss and get Ice beam in your face, right?
about your set.. Sand tomb may end after 2 turns, and there goes the strategy.. setting up the confuse/toxic/trap takes 3 turns. and without a Careful(+sp.def) and double team, you'll faint quickly. you get to attack only 2-3 times after all that work. then Sand tomb again..

how come this guy have a standard sweeper moveset, when it has so many posible strategies, and only average attack? I demand change! :D

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:20 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I checked my set.
apearantly, sand veil only works in desert, or has very little effect, as I battled for 15 minutes and my enemies didn't miss once..even with Lax Incence attached.
but Lax+ 3 double team and you're invisible to them..
last try:

{gligar} @ lax incence
Carefull | hyper cutter
double team
swagger
screech
EQ/Arial Ace

EV's on speed & sp.def.
strategy: d-team, lower the foe's deffense, then swagger. so when it attacks itself, it'll hurt. then sweep with EQ. if your attack state sucks, don't worry. you have time until something hits you..
so much for Levitate problems.. :twisted: let them kill themselves.

EQ isn't super efective to Ice? funny. :P still, STAB EQ (150 power)can handle almost anything..(and when s-e, 300!!) Rock slide is 75 power, and it has lower accuracy. you don't wanna miss and get Ice beam in your face, right?
about your set.. Sand tomb may end after 2 turns, and there goes the strategy.. setting up the confuse/toxic/trap takes 3 turns. and without a Careful(+sp.def) and double team, you'll faint quickly. you get to attack only 2-3 times after all that work. then Sand tomb again..

how come this guy have a standard sweeper moveset, when it has so many posible strategies, and only average attack? I demand change! :D

Sandstorm weather needs to be up for Sand Veil to take effect. slso, for accuracy, try HP rock.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:46 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Standard implies that the moveset works and is quite commonly used. No one ever said that was the ONLY possible strategy.

Last edited by sN0wBaLL on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:24 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:06 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

One thing that worried me about Jolteons moveset, which I think should be taken into thought. With Attract and Baton Pass, the effect of attract wouldn't be passed on, right? But with Thunder Wave and Baton Pass, you could easily Baton Pass to any gender, never having to worry about that move which gives you the edge.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:24 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

One thing that worried me about Jolteons moveset, which I think should be taken into thought. With Attract and Baton Pass, the effect of attract wouldn't be passed on, right? But with Thunder Wave and Baton Pass, you could easily Baton Pass to any gender, never having to worry about that move which gives you the edge.

There's absolutely nothing wrong. The move given in the moveset is "Attract/Thunderwave" (which means Attract OR Thunderwave) already, since both would work, though perhaps Thunderwave works better like you said.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:43 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Not that I wish to emply something is wrong, just that Thunder Wave would work better with the Baton Pass combo, because Thunder Wave just paralyzes the enemy, while with Attract, you have be one gender, and the foe the other, that limits your change, and because the foe was infatuated with Jolteon, it seems as the Pokemon you change to has to know Attract too.
Of course I could be wrong, but just as a precaution.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:39 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yes, I do get your point, thank you, but since Thunderwave is already part of the suggested set I think it can be left as it is :)

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:24 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Docile | Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 SA, 6 Spd
~Sky Uppercut
~Blaze Kick
~Focus Energy
~Slash

Can I suggest that you give Blaziken Thunderpunch? That would take out both Water and Flying types and it can be gotten from the Battle Frontier Move Tutors in Emerald.

DeviantART | Webcomic | Photobucket

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I didnt have time to read through the posts to see if anyone said anything, but that Umbreon set is NOT standard. Its not even good. Here are a few sets:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 212 HP/240 Def/56 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Mean Look
-Taunt
-Wish
-Baton Pass

Chaosbreon: most useful one there is.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
-Mean Look
-Wish
-Baton Pass
-Substitute/Protect

Advanced wishpasser (Supportbreon). 00DV in speed to ensure that Umby gets hit first before passing.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
-Torment
-Mean Look/Wish
-Protect
-Baton Pass

TP Umby. Can be similar to chaosbreon with Mean Look if you torment on the switch agains phazers. otherwise you can use Wish as support. Also annoys the hell outta CBers/CB Teams.

^Bluefox owns for these.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:58 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

The movesets in this guide work better in-game than in competitive battling. It caters to the needs of most people, as most people play Pokemon against friends and/or by themselves instead of playing on Netbattle all the time. As such, moves like Taunt and Torment, which see limited use in such circumstances, are not in the standard sets, and the EV Spreads are more straightforward. Still, thanks for your suggestion; I will be updating the guide soon with movesets that are more geared towards the metagame.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The movesets in this guide work better in-game than in competitive battling. It caters to the needs of most people, as most people play Pokemon against friends and/or by themselves instead of playing on Netbattle all the time. As such, moves like Taunt and Torment, which see limited use in such circumstances, are not in the standard sets, and the EV Spreads are more straightforward. Still, thanks for your suggestion; I will be updating the guide soon with movesets that are more geared towards the metagame.

Rather than update, why not just move/copy my moveset guide over here. Sure I still have to make a few adjustments here and there but it saves you the time.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:23 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Actually, Taunt is pretty standard for competitive battling IMO. As for in-game, I think there should be a label on which sets are strictly in-game and which ones are competitive, as I'm sure lots of netbattlers will laugh.

btw, I thought the special sweeper Umby was standard in-game ;)

^Bluefox owns for these.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:10 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I did not move your guide to this section, but I have added a small paragraph to explain that this guide might not be suited to the current metagame, as well as provided a link to the Competitive Movesets Guide.

The reason why I'm not moving that topic is because I believe that the majority of Psypoke's users play Pokemon for leisure. As such, all the battling they ever do is in-game and with their friends. This guide might be more suited to their needs compared to the Competitive Movesets Guide. Moving your guide over might cause a little confusion. Status quo would therefore be good; NetBattlers can view your guide in the NetBattle section, while other casual players use this guide.

In short, this section is called Pokemon Game Guides, not Pokemon NetBattle Guide[/quote from fellow FEG]. I hope you understand my reasons for doing so (or rather, not doing what you mentioned). It's not because I do not recognise your efforts :)

Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:14 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Oh, it wasn't that I thought it should be moved here. I thought your post said that you were making a Competitive Set Guide in this area...I thought that would have been kind of redundant since you could have slid mine over. The reasoning made sense before so I'm not complaining. I was just going to help you so you wouldn't have to spend so much time on something already made.

Thanks for the recognition.

Last edited by Tobey on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Everyone seems to use Umbreons as supporters. I've found a way to use them as attackers.

Image@Leftovers
Modest nature
-Moonlight, Toxic, HP Dark, Psychic

Image@Leftovers
Admant nature
-Moonlight, Toxic, Shadow Ball, HP Flying

Nobody sees these coming. They always switch out to a Heracross or a Poison type thinking toxic'll be useless and I'll have to switch out. That's when you hit them w/Psychic or HP flying. HP Dark and Shadow ball are so you can kill psychics quickly.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:04 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Nobody sees it coming indeed, so you might want to post in the Creative Movesets Thread instead. Anyway, the reason why Umbreon is not commonly used as a sweeper is because of its rather mediocre Attack and Special Attack stats.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:41 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Nobody sees it coming indeed, so you might want to post in the Creative Movesets Thread instead.
Whoops, sorry.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:46 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I noticed that on the Standard for Grumpig, you have Shock Wave listed, although it can learn Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, and Ice Punch. I believe Fire Punch would be more standard though because it covers more types easier. For instance, Steelix is resistant to Electric, takes little damage from Psychic and Ice, and is weak against Fire.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:41 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Original Post (deleted to prevent double-post =p) :
"Yeah, I noticed that too; it's one of the movesets which I am looking to update. It's because Grumpig was only able to learn those moves after Emerald was released, and this guide was written back when only Ruby and Sapphire were available."

*UPDATE*
I've just done an update for the sets. Some of the new sets address the issue that Pokemon like Grumpig learn new moves in Emerald (e.g. elemental punches).

I've also added a line at the top of the first post to indicate the date of the most recent update for this guide.

Here's the list of Pokemon which have had one or two movesets added. They are NOT sorted in any order.

Dusclops
Ariados
Crobat
Grumpig
Sableye
Misdreavus
Granbull
Qwilfish
Delibird
Mantine
Stantler
Smeargle