It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Have you ever donated blood before? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Yes this is a weird topic but I would like to know how your first time donating blood went or if you havent ever donated, whats your opion on it.

Today was my first time to be able to donate and I'm so happy and so proud that I was able to help someone today. I honestly thought it was going to hurt alot more then it did, like the needle and what not. I just layed there I couldnt stop smiling even though I felt like I was going to get a little sick and I did need to use the restroom really bad,not to get sick but because I needed to use it. After words they gave us water, juice, crackers, cookies and pizza. I so can't wait till the next time I can go and donate. ^_^

Last edited by kissi13 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I haven't donated blood but I don't see too much of a problem with it, just hope that if I decide to do it in the future that the place I go to will have clean needles for obvious reasons...

My opinion on donating blood, If I do donate blood, I want something in return each time I do it & I don't have anything against it or whatever but I personally just do not like getting needles stuck in my limbs for multiple reasons so I won't really be happy to do it for any reason what so ever...meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Last edited by Lawence Codye on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

>.< Wow thats sad how did I miss that typo. Sorry.

I can see what your talking about. Needles are really scary,even these ones, they are small but long. I don't like needles but knowing I'm helping someone it kinda helped me over come the needle factor or well for the time being that is.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I don't fear the needles but I know that the people that stick the needle into you tend to get lazy & impatient & just jabs it into you sometimes & it is not something to ignore(as if you even can anyway)...& sadly I am 1 of those people that don't find my input alone very helpful, for example I don't vote for this reason & probably won't donate blood for this reason as I don't even know my own blood type...meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:57 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Yes this is true they do sometimes get tired of doing this over and over and over again but its their job and they are taking your blood to help someone who may need it in the furtur.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:01 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I have never donate blood before for simple reason, which was my age. Well, i actually want to donate my blood, if my age was enough. And i wasn't scared with needles, it was better than bullets and swords.

Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:39 am
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

I've donated a couple times, and it's not bad at all. I'd do it again if the opportunity jumped at me, but I probably won't go out of my way looking for an opportunity.

I might also decide to donate plasma sometime, which actually has monetary benefits. ;)

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I've donated blood numerous occasions; my high school had multiple blood drives each year, and once I was of age I went every time. My veins are really big and easy to get with the needle, so it was quick and not very painful at all.

The first time, though, I tried going back to class too soon and passed out. They gave me a coca-cola and I felt better almost instantly. Every time I donated in the future, I just made sure to let them know I would need a coke for after I was done. :)

Plus, getting the giant colored bandages is awesome. I always took purple. :D

Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

At my school, the Latin club hosts the blood drives, and as I'm in Latin, this has turned into a mere oppertunity to skip an entire day of classes. I just sign up to work for two periods, chill out in the gym where we have it for two more periods, and the actual donation process takes me, from getting in line to being done with eating the homemade brownies and cookies we give to the donaters, another three periods. Whoops, there goes the entire day!

As for the actual donating process, I find it really easy and fairly painless. I've done it at all three drives since I came of age. The last two times, I've actually brought my game boy and played Yellow while waiting, I beat Misty AND Surge during my last donation (though thats not saying much since it was "sup surge, meet diglett" but whatevs). And I don't really feel ill afterward, the last couple of times I had Cross Country and Track meets later that day, and I posted normal times, actually setting a personal record in the mile at the track meet.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

The next time thei will let me donate is Dec 1 when they have it.

Because of where my vain was I had to have my arm hanging off the table the whole time and it hurt.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I donated blood once in the past. The needle was hurting me during the entire time but it wasn't too bad and it stopped once the needle was removed. I wanted to donate again but I was always busy when they had drives nearby. They return every 56 days or so so I suppose I'll have opportunities in the future.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I've donated blood before, but as an AB+ donor, they don't care much for what I have to contribute blood-wise. While AB+ is a universal receiver for blood, it is the universal donor for platelets. I used to donate platelets regularly, but I stopped, and I'm not sure why. Donating platelets is different from blood due to the apheresis machine that draws the blood, isolates the parts it needs, and returns the unused, cold parts (blood, plasma, etc.) to your body. To this date, it is still one of the most painful experiences of my life, as the total time to donate platelets can be well over one and a half hours, and it feels like your veins are being raped. That is what makes it worth the most.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:28 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I've only come of donation age this year. They're doing a blood drive next month at school and I signed up pretty much as soon as they announced it. It sounds like such an awesome thing to do - you're doing a potentially life-saving good deed for almost no effort on your part!

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

likes this post. O:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:08 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I have 5 or 6 times and I enjoyed the experience every one. for the most part but haven't been able to give recently because I've been sick when they've (the red cross) been around. As advice to future blood donors. If you want to give blood start by eating a balenced diet with slightly increased protien a week in advance so you do not faint or feel weak after you give blood. oh and I'd also follow the procedures on the sheet they give you when you give blood it'll make things easier. The one time I broke the procedure and did some heavy lifting. my arm felt like crap the next day. Aside from that it really is very easy

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:15 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I have donated a few times at local pharmacy drives, I am one of few people with the O- blood type which any human being can use but only few have. I don't have anything against it obviously, but I can't see myself as a person go out and promote it. As much as America needs blood the amount we throw away through testing is unbelievable. I can totally understand throwing it away for infectious diseases and what not, but to throw it away for an unexplained high white blood cell count is a tad extreme. I can understand not wanting to give a kemo patient blood that might carry a flu virus but... idk it just seems like such a waste when they throw away usable blood. None the less, I have made at least 5 trips to give blood, I have never been bothered by people having to poke me multiple times. One trip I had 3 different people test both of my arms, they were all new so an experienced person came over and got it on the first try. The kept apologizing too, I told them it was fine I really didn't care but I suppose it is good to know they don't mean to stab you 100 times :P

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I have never donated blood before, I hope to do so in the future and help those in need.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've donated so many times I've really completely lost count. First time was when I was in boot camp (Navy) - we got out of a whole afternoon of marching and drill, so waaaaay worth it! I've donate many times since. I'm O+ ("universal donor"), so everyone wants my blood! And, several times over the years when money has been a little tight I've gone to one of the outfits that buys plasma - when money is tight an extra $40 can help a lot.

There's been once or twice where I've fellt a little light-headed afterwards, but a bite to eat & some fruit juice or whatever always takes care of the problem. I don't have a problem with needles per se, but (as others have mentioned) I don't like people who don't know how to do the poke. The vast majority of the people handling the needles are pretty good though and I've seldom had a problem.

I do agree that it is a good feeling to be able to help someone out even though you'll never know who they were. While there are some blood substitutes or blood volume expanders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_blood), my understanding is that there is nothing quite as good as "fresh", clean, donated blood. For those of us who are not HIV positive or carrying hepatitus, it really is almost a civic duty to donate blood these days. I would encourage everyone who has contemplated donating blood to do so ... you never know who you might be saving ...

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:30 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Nope. Never felt the need to.

But once I was at Arby's and the dude was like want to donate a dollar and I was like hail naw and he was like but its for kids or something lol and I was like gimme mah fries woman.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]