It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pokemon with the Same Type Twice 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i was thinking and this is what i thought: "what if a pokemon had 2 types but both of the types were the same" i then came to the conclusion that this would be helpful in 2 ways and harmful in 1

example: a pokemon thats type is electric/electric
helpfull:
* electric type attacks get a 100% boost because of STAB
* flying, electric, and steel moves would not effect it
harmfull:
* ground moves are 4 times effective (like electric moves are on gyaridos)

apply this logic to the other types (except probably flying) what do you think of this idea because i honestly have no clue what to think of it

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:45 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
This is stupid simply because of the thing with Gyarados you yourself mentioned...

More importanly I believe that any pokemon having 100% STAB bonus without the aid of their Ability & their Ability exclusively on their 1st turn is a bit overkill...

& also, the main advantage of having only 1 Type on a pokemon is that weaknesses can never do X4 damage to you which actually helps in certain situations imo...

In Conclusion, if my pokemon could have 2 types, I would want them both to be different thus balancing out each other's weaknesses much much easier like Water/Ground not being weakened by Electric due to there being a Ground Typing among them & so on which I believe to be the magic of having 2 types & not 1 imo, just saying...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:54 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hmm, I must say I don't really like the idea,
tough it would open a whole new world for eeveelutions :D

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

What exactly would differenciate say, Electric Pokémon from Electric/Electric Pokémon?

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The only difference would be Double STAB.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

red kyogre wrote:
* flying, electric, and steel moves would not effect it

Excuse me, but how exactly would electric/electric type combo cancel out electric, steel, and flying- type attacks? That makes no sense to me at all.

Also, it just seems like a terrible idea. I mean, could evolutions gain secondary types? Sorry if I'm forgetting any pre-evos that have dual types and one of those said types changes, just let me know nicely... I can't think of any right now.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

you know, if you guys really want to see the effects of the same type being used twice, why not use the type checker app thing on the poketch (dppt)?? then you could at least check for weaknesses.....

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Better idea: dual-typed moves. *cough*Fire/Ice/Thunder punch*cough*

Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:55 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

see, now that would be interesting. though, you probably would have to have a certain type combination (the target poke) for it to be supereffective.

on that note (slightly off-topic) i was thinking of something else: what if tackle took on the type of the pokemon?? it's pretty much the user hitting the target with their body; so imo, this makes logical sense, considering each pokemon is supposed to embody their typing in some way.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lawence Codye wrote:
More importanly I believe that any pokemon having 100% STAB bonus ... is a bit overkill.

& also, the main advantage of having only 1 Type on a pokemon is that weaknesses can never do X4 damage to you which actually helps in certain situations imo...

That's exactly it.
It's a double-edged sword kind of concept.

Sure, all its resistances become immunities (@nomnom52) and its strengths become MORE powerful,
but it's THAT much weaker to other attacks.

Obviously, Gamefreak would have to be careful which type they'd use (Electric/Electric would be a bit over-powered),
but I think it's an interesting idea. Don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:32 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I would rather have triple typed Pokemon than Pokemon who have the same type twice. For example: Flygon would make an excellent Dragon/Bug/Ground Pokemon.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

what if the electric/electric pokemon had wonder guard. it would make it invinceable!

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:01 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Steelbound wrote:
what if the electric/electric pokemon had wonder guard. it would make it invinceable!

no ground types would do X4 so if a lvl 50 grond attaack with a ground move it would kill a electric/electric pokemon with wonder guard

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

double- same type pokemon have the same redundancy as decorating a cake, covering it with another layer of the same kind of icing and decorating it the same way again (please note, this would make the first decoration invisible, and waste an enormous amount of time and the opportunity to make another cake to decorate with the extra icing). Why? Because it adds nothing to the movepool, no new resistances and doubles (1x2x2=4) the previous weaknesses.

also, the stab bonus is x1.5 so adding another one would make the damage done 1x1.5x1.5 so the new stab would become x2.25, so it would do more than 200% damage, and the resistance is x.5 so the calculation would go 1x.5x.5, making the new resistance x.25- not an immunity. (using the dual type damage rules- poison/bug takes quarter damage from grass, water/flying double from electric)

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Undeadkevin, those are good points, but you're using the current game mechanics.
If they were to do something as drastic as make a double-typed Poke, they'd probably have no qualms overlooking a few of the rules they've already created.

x.25 instead of x.5 isn't substantial enough of a change compared to x4 instead of x2,
so I think that's why the idea for immunity came up.

And THAT's why GF would have to be careful with the typing.
Electric would work because its only resistances are Electric, Flying and Steel.
Grass would work because it has a million weaknesses and enough resistances to make up for it.
Steel wouldn't, however, because the new immunities added would far outweigh its boosted weaknesses.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

yes, spoinkable,you are exactly right, i stand well corrected and enlightened. However, they would have to change the way the dual type's resistances (i.e. bug/poison's grass resistance) worked, or else be blatantly inconsistent (not that they aren't likely to leave them as they are and only make the such provisions for the theoretical double pure types and be inconsistent...go figure), which could seriously imbalance the game with new immunities (new poison immunities on rock/ground, for instance).

also, what would happen to the already existent immunities?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

UndeadKevin wrote:
yes, spoinkable,you are exactly right, i stand well corrected and enlightened. However, they would have to change the way the dual type's resistances (i.e. bug/poison's grass resistance) worked, or else be blatantly inconsistent (not that they aren't likely to leave them as they are and only make the such provisions for the theoretical double pure types and be inconsistent...go figure), which could seriously imbalance the game with new immunities (new poison immunities on rock/ground, for instance).

I'm really sorry, but could you please be a tad bit more specific?
I'm afraid I couldn't make a whole lot of sense out of this.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:22 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Spoinkable wrote:
UndeadKevin wrote:

I'm really sorry, but could you please be a tad bit more specific?
I'm afraid I couldn't make a whole lot of sense out of this.

First: You made a valid point earlier about the potential change in the game mechanics to give the double pures (as I shall call them) immunities to their new double resistances.
Second: What I am trying to say, is that in changing the game mechanics to give immunities to double pures for their double resistances, GF would likely have to change the way double resistance works on say, rock/ground pokemon (x.25 poison), to go with the new rules. This would make golem immune to poison, ariados immune to grass and fighting, and magneton immune to flying and steel, wich is not something I want to see. However, if GF didn't do this, the typing charts would be inconsistent, because double resistance would equal immunity for some pokemon, but not all. And, as you said, steel/steel would be severely overpowered.

Third: I wonder how doubling the effect of say, the ghost type's normal and fighting immunities would work? would there be any change? would they remain the same?

Does this clear things up?

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:04 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ohhh, yes it does clear things up, and that's interesting.
I completely forgot about those types of situations.

Well I'd hope they would leave the immunities as something extra special you get with double pures (as you call them).
Firstsly, because I see this as a completely new concept that should be at near legendary status.
Secondly, because TONS of Pokes have x.25 resistances, even if they only have one. Like, the majority of Pokes do. That'd be wayyyy too much.
I mean, ALL Bug/Flying types would be immune to Grass and Fighting. What.

Thirdly, because that would be terribly inconsistent.
Can you imagine the conversations at Battle Frontier?
"Hey! I worked really hard to raise a crappy Ariados, moved to Isshu, and now he's immune to two super-common types! I'm totally telling all my friends who raised Bastiodon and Charizard to come here!"

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:26 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Great idea! Give them them an ability called purity or super pure that increases the effects of resistance (to give them immunity), and unleash a pack of legend or semi-legend pokemon that accentuate their doubled type. A creature made from fire, one made out of water...how does a ghost or psychic double look?

I can see them as legends, but never regular pokemon.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:05 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hm, well Psychic could be an orb of pure energy or something.

And any "elemental" pures could have infinite possibilities.
I'm biased towards humanoids, so that's what I would want.
But...the potential designs are literally infinite.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:42 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Yeah, so it's not that bad of an idea, so long as the pokemon that get the new typings are carefully made, and look rather nice. I can imagine a format sort of like the unknown, maybe a dungeon that only allows you to encounter so many types of them (say 8), based on in game decisions, and has another, more traditional Uber rank legend at the very end (personal suggestion: Mew). That would encourage trading to get all the species, and open up all sorts of story opportunities.

The pokemon would have to have different stats though, to limit or boost the power of each type, and hopefully keep them out of the uber category. For instance, steel/steel should have the lowest defense stats in the game, and/or low HP (maybe even 1), to try to balance out its new immunities. That way, the double steel would be killed by anything that could damage it in more or less one shot, and many other types could try to burn, confuse etc. it to death.

In terms of movesets, the pokemon should learn moves primarily to take advantage of the double stab, and should have few opportunities to learn anything outside it's own type (though I'm not against them learning hidden power to be annoying).

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:43 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

That's just really weird. All of the younger players will say, "Wait, why does it say Electric twice on my Pikachu?" And honestly even I would be confused. I guess it's an original thought, though.

Credit goes to Baby~Eevee for avatar!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

surely it would just be the same as having a single type pokemon, they would have the same weaknesses only larger, not the best idea out there...

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:12 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

wismagnet wrote:
surely it would just be the same as having a single type pokemon, they would have the same weaknesses only larger, not the best idea out there...

Looking at Blaziken's stats, on paper, it seems like it should NEVER be used.
Sure, nice and strong, but it's relatively slow and can't take a paper bag to the face.
However, Blaziken's all over the place.

Anything, ANYTHING, if used correctly and with some smarts can be devastating.
A pokemon with a double typing would (in my dream world) have doubled weaknesses but immunities in place of resistances.
A fair trade, if you ask me. Pair that with increased STAB, and I think we'd have a grand new horizon to explore.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:27 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next