It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Trading Card Games 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Which Trading Card Game, or TCG for short, is your favorite fellow Psypokians. Myself am a fan of Magic the Gathering. MTG just happens to be my favorite, I used to heavily play the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG though I was never really good at that one. I have competed in tournaments for Magic, I find it to be quite enjoyable as there are many different kinds of formats for it and many different kinds of decks for the game. Anyway feel free to discuss your favorite TCGs, or just say which ones that you don't like or don't understand.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:52 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I played Yu-Gi-Oh for yeeeeeeeeears, until I just sort of got bored of it and the cost got too much. But I've recently started playing again, its fun!

I'm not back to winning tournaments, but I'm getting there. :P

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I played Yu-Gi-Oh cards for almost ten years, and i haven't got bored. I have plenty cards but unfortunately, there is no tournament in my country. And yes, it is fun, i studied English language from that. My friend also plays it too, but only on PSP, because it is rare to find any shop that sells Yu-Gi-Oh cards now in my city. When i remembered i only know one shop in my city that sells it.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

My one problem that I have with the YGO card game is that, at least to me, it isn't changing at all. I mean the rules have stayed the same since the beginning, and they have hardly introduced new things to keep the game fresh, again this is all my opinion, and to me the only big change that they made is the introduction of Synchro monsters. The thing I like about Magic is that the game and rules are constantly changing, the rules are always being edited and fixed to keep the game balanced. They are also adding new abilities to creatures in the game, and the game has more possibilities for decks and combos. Another cool thing I like about Magic you don't necessarily have to have the most expensive cards to win or do well, as long as your deck is well built and you have a strategy you can and will do well.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Maybe the reason why the rules didn't really change because there was already plenty of rules to follow. I searched at the internet and found the gameplay rules, and i'm still kinda confused with the most advanced rules, but i'm getting used to it lately. And you also don't really need plenty of rare cards to make a good deck, one of the most needed rare cards was the limited cards, but you could still win even if you don't have them. After all, you don't rely on individual cards, you rely on all cards in your deck.

The combination of cards in your deck could be edited as much as you can, there's so much possibilities. When i'm kinda bored, i sometimes open Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Tag Force 4 in my PSP and make different kinds of deck. You could make different decks based on the archetype, type, attribute, or totally random at all.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
My perferred TCG is Yu-Gi-Oh thoguh I completely agree with shinashu taji about it not changing as it is so very true & imo even with the addition of Synchro Monsters it hasn't changed too noticably, I basically just collect the cards simply because of the art at this point meaning I simply collect them & don't play with them anymore...

I cannot possibly play the Pokemon & especially the Digimon TCG, among others but I will at some point try to get into Magic the Gathering based on what's been said here & though I don't understand it, I can still just actually try to & maybe something will click...other then that I have no interest in any other TCG what so ever...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I know all the rules to Yu-Gi-Oh and there are just as many, if not more rules, in Magic. I think the only reason they haven't done drastic changes in the YGO rules is that it is aimed more towards kids. So they want to keep it simple, though I know it can get complicated. Magic is aimed towards a more older crowd with more understanding of errata and such so things can get more complicated and thus have more rules and change them. I just wish it would change more like Magic. Another miff I have with YGO they outright just ban cards. I know they do that with Magic, but there are different formats in tournaments that allow all the cards, unlike YGO there is just one format if I am correct. In any case I just think that Magic requires more strategy than YGO.

The Digimon TCG confused the hell out of me when I was a kid. Also Lawence Magic is easy to understand, the one rule of thumb for Magic is always follow the cards wordings. There are loose rules in Magic but the cards in the game are always breaking the rules. If you want I can dig up the basic rules for you for Magic. I think you will like Magic Lawence it is very fun.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

The Digimon TCG was confusing as I couldn't even get as much a hang of that as I did the Pokemon TCG rule wise & thus lost my 1 & only match I had (though this was also cause he was a fanatic & had all this rare & powerful cards & I had nothing but the starter deck...) & I believe I read on their site that they had 2 separate limited/banned card lists that each applied to a specific tornament rule set or something like that & to be honest, I hated them both...

As far as Magic goes, I have known of it's existance even before I got my first Pokemon cards back when I actually played that TCG which I couldn't even get the hang of either rule wise (I know, sad)...It just gave me a WoW or D&D feel whenever I looked at the cards & what not so since I am more mature now, I should definetely not have that problem anymore & if you have the time then I would appriciate that very much & thanks in advance...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Here is the basic rulebook for Magic. This is just for casual play and covers the most common situations. Note you are going to need a PDF reader to see it. This is straight from Wizards of the Coast, which is the company that makes magic. If you would like to have some audio to go along with the rules here is a good YouTube video detailing the basics.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:57 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

There have only been two trading card games I've ever played - Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Pokemon was fun and I had lots of cards and even a deck at one point, but I never actually got to use it because I didn't know anyone else that knew how to play the card game. My deck featured Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, it was kinda like a haymaker deck. I intended on reviving my old deck (not with base/jungle/fossil of course) during the Diamond & Pearl era when Frost and I got back into the cards, but I decided to wait until Black & White are released in the US to have more a variety.

For Yu-Gi-Oh, I never actually owned a single Yu-Gi-Oh card. It was a very short lived fad for me, instead of buying physical cards (which I had no interest in doing, ever) I simply played the Gameboy Color version. Unlike the Pokemon TCG for Gameboy, I had someone to play against, my best friend. It's pretty easy to build an overpowered deck with the right cards though and it's extremely boring when you can just go online, find the most powerful card, type in an 8 digit code and RECEIVE that card in the game. I don't understand what the point of that feature was, maybe to let you use your real life cards in the game? No idea, I never had any cards in real life to test.

So yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh just gets ridiculous and redundant when you can find cards with like 2000 atk and 1500 def that only have 4 stars (I never bothered with sacrifices, and most of the time you could find 4 star cards that were more powerful than sacrifice cards.) I don't even remember how to play anymore or what type beats what. *shrug* I haven't really been into that kind of stuff for years now.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Actually, most four-stared monster with 2000 attack or more usually has it's own drawback, like Giant Kozaky, the 4-stared monster with 2500 attack and 2400 defense. It will be destroyed if there was no Kozaky on the field and if it do, the controller takes damage equals to it's attack. And Goblin Attack Force, plus Goblin Elite Attack Force, it does have 2300 and 2200 attack, but when it attacks, it will be changed to defense position and with 0 and 1500 defense, it wouldn't last for long. A 4-stared monster with high defense also gets it's drawback, like Big Shield Gardna. It has nice 2600 defense, but when it was attacked, it will be changed to attack position after the Damage Step, and with 100 attack, again, it wouldn't last for long. But actually i usually only use monster with good effect, and i don't really care about it's attack or defense (E.G. Spirit Reaper and Marshmallon). But i don't mind with sacrifices, because high leveled monsters usually has good attack and/or good defense with great effect too.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:28 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh were the only ones I ever played. Pokemon mostly as a kid to mess around with my brothers. Yu-gi-oh I didn't pick up until later.

I started playing Yu-gi-oh in 5th grade and got bored of it by 7th grade. I was never able to get back into it afterwards, because there was just too much crap, with new cards being created left and right with insane effects, and pretty much all the old good cards being banned. I was basically unbeatable when I did play, though, as I had the rarest cards of the day such as Mirror Force and Magic Cylinders (and -almost- all of Exodia).

~Anecdote Time~:
Not everybody got bored of it though. All throughout my high school career I noticed there was a group of students who would play in the library in the morning. One day, I think it was during my sophomore year, I managed to find my old Yu-gi-oh cards (at least 4 tins full) and brought a few for nostalgia's sake to battle the people in the library. I also brought along a stack of unused rare cards just to show off. ;o Everything went as planned, and I ended up thrashing their best player in about 3 turns, while there were a crowd of people marveling at my stack of rare cards. I'm pretty sure I left the table with mysteriously fewer cards than I had came with, but it didn't matter that much to me at that point. It was all for the lulz. I was king of the card nerds for a day.
~End Anecdote~

My Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards are still back at home somewhere. The few people who I know that play cards here only play Magic: The Gathering (they actually have tournaments sometimes). I've never owned a single one of those in my life, so I figure now is definitely not a good time to start. I'm done with trading cards, hopefully. Most of my Pokemon cards are probably in too poor of condition to sell, as some of them have slightly worn edges from deck shuffling while playing. Same goes for my Yu-gi-oh cards, though I doubt anyone would pay much for those anyway.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Serpentsounds wrote:
as I had the rarest cards of the day such as Mirror Force and Magic Cylinders (and -almost- all of Exodia)

Hey, i'm the same, but add Graceful Charity, Pot Of Greed, Raigeki, Crush Card Virus, and a set of completed Exodia parts. But yes, too bad that my country didn't have any Yu-Gi-Oh tournament. If there is one i would probably attend that. But unfortunately, my oldest deck cannot be used in tournament because it broke the Forbidden/Limited cards rules. And it also my ace deck. If you want, i could post the deck recipe.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I think once my Vaporeon was taken by my music class instructor & ripped up by him in the same moment cause of my idiot classmates that I lost interest in the Pokemon TCG for good since on top of that I could just never get any really good cards like that ridiculously powerful Charizard card of the TCG's older days or anything even close to that good...

From my observation in the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, besides Gene-Warped Warwolf there isn't a single 4 star monster card that has 2000 ATK or more without some kind of drawback of course, meh...

Oh & of course, thank you shinashu taji...I will look at them sometime today & I shouldn't need the video but maybe, maybe...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:01 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, i don't know that this isn't a drawback or not, but some Koa'ki Meiru monsters has 2000 or more attack with 4-star, like Koa'ki Meiru Bergzak and Koa'ki Meiru Powerhand. It requires you to discard an Iron Core of Koa'ki Meiru or reveal some kind of specific cards each End Phase of course. But if your deck could have a lot of specific cards to reveal, it didn't really has any drawback after all. Instead, it has some awesome effect. Like, Koa'ki Meiru Bergzak, it requires you to reveal a Warrior-type monster each End Phase, which was usually not a major problem in a Warrior Deck, and it also has the effect to attack once again in a row when it destroys your opponent monster.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:24 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Koa'ki Meiru monsters most likely don't have a drawback that can be considered as such due to all Koa'ki Meiru monsters requiring you to discard a Iron Core of Koa'ki Meiru once a turn anyway, which sucks normally but is notacibly possible due to having help from other cards in a Koa'ki Meiru Deck...iow, yes it is a drawback but not really...I have some of them from the booster where they first debuted but non of the recent ones...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:37 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, the weakness is that you have to discard the Iron Core. If you have more than one Koa'ki Meiru monsters that needs you to discard Iron Core, you're pretty much screwed unless you have more than one Iron Core in your hand. And things such like that was pretty hard to overcome, unless you have a deck searcher for the Iron Core. But the only deck searcher for Iron Core from your deck was only the Iron Core Immediate Disposal, and it send your Iron Core to the graveyard/cemetery, not to your hand. And you have to wait for the next turn to add it from your graveyard/cemetery. But the other was the monster Koa'ki Meiru Boulder, but it has to be destroyed in battle if you want to add Iron Core or any Koa'ki Meiru monster.

One of the way to overcome this one problem was to rely on the revealing effects to prevent their destruction. The other was for having Koa'ki Meiru monsters that DID NOT need to discard Iron Core or reveal a specific card. But even with all these problems you will have if you choose a Koa'ki Meiru deck, most of their Effect Monsters, Spell, and Trap Cards effect are devastating. And it could be reliable in a beatdown deck too. And one more thing if you did want to make a Koa'ki Meiru deck, don't only rely on one of it's battle aspect or you will fail miserably in a duel. It happened to me.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Yeah...though that is exactly why I don't even make decks based of a single type, or monster series (Elemental Hero, etc.)...

I did want to make a Sea Serpent Deck but as it is well known, the Sea Serpent type just doesn't any real respect in the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG so that won't happen too soon...I always do the 1 or 2 attributes thing or work a specific stradegy into my deck using a mixture of different monsters from different monster series & what not...

That being said I have only dueled myself & my brother on occasion who would use my cards due to the fact he's not into the game himself thus doesn't have any cards himself but mostly I would duel myself to test the various Structure Decks against each other & some random decks made of some of my cards I got from booster packs...

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:35 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, about the Sea Serpent deck, you could add 3 amount of "Levia Dragon - Daedalus" and 3 amount of "Sea Dragon King - Neo Daedalus". Both are some good cards if you used "A Legendary Ocean" in your deck. But indeed, it is hard to make a Sea Serpent deck. But unlike you, all of the deck that i made are based on themes. My decks that i made are:
-WATER Attribute deck
-Lightsworn deck
-Blackwing deck
-Machine-type deck
-Reptillianne deck
-And finally, my oldest and ace deck, Exodia deck.

That's all deck that i have right now. But i still remembered when i still have my DARK Attribute deck, The Six Samurai deck, Warrior-type deck, LIGHT Attribute deck, and Fiend-type deck.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The only deck that I have left in YGO is a redux version of my original deck peppered with some cards that I have gotten through the years, mainly some from issues from my monthly Shonen Jump. I tried to make an E-Hero deck, but I threw that idea out the window when I found out you can only have 15 fusion monsters in your Fusion Card Zone. After I got back into a bit I tried to make a Psychic type deck from one of the first 5D's boosters, centralizing on Magical Android, but I the game couldn't keep my interest for that.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

shinashu taji wrote:
I tried to make an E-Hero deck, but I threw that idea out the window when I found out you can only have 15 fusion monsters in your Fusion Card Zone.

I still don't understand this rule & if you add any Synchro Monsters in there, they act as Fusion Monsters in that you only can have a combined 15 card mixture of Synchro Monsters, Fusion Monsters or both...

& now they call it the Extra Deck Zone which is the only thing I really like about it as unless I am using Elemental Hero Fusions don't really care for it at all unless I use Synchro Monsters which I don't have a very good collection of them either...

& it's "Ocean Dragon Lord - Neo Daedalus" which is currently my favorite Sea Serpent prior to 5D's first booster pack being released, after that it's "Deep Sea Diva" & still currently is...

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, the Extra Deck is the mixture of both. My Machine-type deck has 7 Fusion Monster Cards and 8 Synchro Monster Cards. But if i don't use Machine-type deck, Elemental Hero deck, or Gladiator Beast deck, i would probably won't use any fusion monster cards.

And yeah, i forgot that it was "Ocean Dragon Lord", not "Sea Dragon King". Just remembered if you did want to make some good Sea Serpent deck, add Spinned Gillman, Sea Hunter, and Aegis of The Ocean Dragon Lord.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:59 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

DarkTrainer13 wrote:
And yeah, i forgot that it was "Ocean Dragon Lord", not "Sea Dragon King". Just remembered if you did want to make some good Sea Serpent deck, add Spinned Gillman, Sea Hunter, and Aegis of The Ocean Dragon Lord.

Thanks...though I have been out of the Yu-Gi-Oh loop ever since Stardust Overdrive was release so I am way under a rock right now, gonna go check "Aegis or the Ocean Dragon Lord" out today, might like it...

& I have read about half of that rule book on Magic & first I must say for some reason...Typo on page 11(just saying it, I know nothing can be done about it, just though it was a bit funny) but anywho, this game is already more appealing to me then Yu-Gi-Oh rule wise...slightly more then half to go, then on to that video as I will definetely need it no question...

Haha, Yu-Gi-Oh is like Magic a little bit but is aimed at younger audiences imo, I like the stuff in Magic TCG that makes it different from the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG the most though...

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:24 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh yeah, one thing that i forgot to mention. Only use "Aegis of Ocean Dragon Lord" if you have many Level 3 or lower WATER monster in your deck, because it only prevents the destruction of Level 3 or lower water monster.

And somehow I'm kinda interested in Magic, but probably won't have any in my real life.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:39 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

I will keep that in mind...though most of the good Sea Serpents that aren't Daedalus breed is level 3 or lower & Deep Sea Diva is 1 of them...

I know I won't have any opponents for Magic but I will still get into it...got a video to watch first though...

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next