It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Getting Easier? 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Is it just me or are these games easier than the originals.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:29 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Because to me it seems that the games went from being 7-10yr old orientated to being games that 4-5yr olds can pick up. Maybe its because I've played the older versions but it seems like the challenge is being taken form the games. [Which stinks because GSC were my favorite games (besides Ruby)

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:10 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Not really.
Maybe when you where younger you thought they were harder?

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

To be honest, i think these newer games are harder. I can't seem to find things as easily and hey added so many more pokemon that you can't get unless you do certain things and it's very hard to keep up with. I went from playing silver to playing soul silver and i'm lost. >.< And there is a baby biting my foot.

Okay, for example, you could beat the original red in about five days, playing for about 8 hrs at a time, about right? I could. that's with getting every pokemon and doing every side thing. (Trading pokemon back and forth with another game that would have the ones you needed, every other pokemon that is obtainable, just obtaining.)

And for the Soul Silver I've been playing, it's been a month, sure, I've beaten everyone but there are 4 times as many pokemon, including all of those legendaries that you can't get at all. It's crazy how much pokemon has changed.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:10 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

No, I think it's just perspective. Personally, I found the originals quite easy and I beat them in very little time. However, now, I actually know what I'm doing, so it seems easier.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:21 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Makes perfect sense. But pokedex completion aside I find it easier to run through and GSC i ran through in a couple of hours.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:44 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I might just think that because it has been so long since i played pokemon. I went from Silver to Soul Silver and now there are double the amount of pokemon since I last played. That is probably why I think Soul Silver is harder.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you remember back in GSC days, they would say "if you caught two of the same pokemon at the same level, they would still not be the same" and no one really understood why or why pokemon turned out weaker if you used the rare candy cheat to get them to lvl100. It was some mysterious thing that changed the stats sometimes.

Now we have natures and take notice of their effects on stats. You could argue that this makes it harder or you could argue that this makes it easier.

However, did you really take notice of stats 10 years ago? I know I didn't. They were random numbers that flashed up when your pokemon grew a level, no one I knew paid any attention to stats.
Older kids might have, but they were older kids, the fact that they were older meant that they always won. ;P

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

You need to remember that in Gold/Silver there were these awkward open spaces where there wasn't anything. It was just open space you were required to walk through. They got rid of those spaces in Ruby/Sapphire. Also, there were no running shoes in the originals. So you had to walk everywhere until you got your bike. Again, something that they dealt with in Ruby/Sapphire. Those are little things that added up to a lot of playing time. The Jhoto gym leaders and elite four in the remakes are actually higher leveled (excluding Whitney) then the originals, or at least on par with the originals. The new games are slightly harder, but much less time consuming. To patron players of Pokemon the newer games are going to seem easier because we know what to expect. We don't really have to learn anything new and it's a lot harder to get lost. Remember how big caves used to be?

I believe the same thing applies here as to with the question "are Pokemon getting more lame?"
The new pokemon aren't getting more lame, and the newer games aren't getting easier. We're just growing up and getting older.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:33 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My first post :D

Anyways I would say they aren't getting esier but that now we know what we're doing. You know where to make a left and where to catch "insert pokemon here" but the developers were smart and made it so that even though the story itself progressed faster, it was tougher to perfect your Pokemon team (e.g. Natures, EVs, no rare candy hack :( ).

I do have to say the pokemon are getting lamer though. Too many go into a form that looks human.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:41 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Roughly a fourth of the original 151 pokemon could be described as humaniod.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:29 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Mr. Eved wrote:
Roughly a fourth of the original 151 pokemon could be described as humaniod.

really? i never noticed that.

anyways. . . i dont think the games are really getting easier. i mean, it felt tougher to beat my emerald a few months ago that to beat the E4 in Heart Gold about a week or two ago. Then again, everything is lower leveled :\

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

When I originally played pokemon Silver, I had absolutely no understanding of how anything worked, let alone the battle system. To a six-year old child, the elemental rock paper scissors system was all I needed to succeed. Because that was all I could ever rely on, I would just try and tank my way through anything with my 6 level 100 lugias (cloned via the PC glitch) who all knew Fly, Strength, Surf, and... Whirlpool.

Ten years later, I've realized that stats, base power, natures, and EVs can all also alter the flow of battles. To the point that a level 50 Lucario soloed half of Red's team.

Essentially, most of us have either gotten good enough to strategize, or just know what to expect at this point in the series.

Until then... *Sigh*

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:24 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think the games are getting a LOT harder, especially in terms of leader battles. I mean in HGSS U-Turn was A MAJOR PAIN to get through (especially because I had bayleef), I actually lost against Morty several times and same goes for Clair. Gunk Shot Muk and Double team crobat made my life hell and outrage dragonite (and lance having about 10 full restores) is just cruel :(

Add in that a lot more pokemon have better coverage now so if you're slower (which you probably are) they can OHKO you even if you do have the type advantage.

Don't get me started on platinum... seriously that game is evil if you're doing a nuzlocke run.

...or maybe it's because I'm playing through with my favourite pokemon as opposed to a team full of sweepers like I used to. I don't know.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'd have to say the games are getting easier. A lot easier. They're always introducing new things to the game to keep it interesting for the repeat players. Ah, I still remember when the Sp.Def stat didn't exist, and abilities didn't exist. Oh, and when the game lied and said that poison was super effective against Bug types (even if that Bug was Bug/Poison), when in fact, it wasn't.

The reason I believe the games were harder way back when, was because we didn't have half of the cool new nifty features. Poke'Mon didn't learn a variety of moves and type advantages then really meant something, as opposed to now your type advantage could really be your weakness. Example: Flint from DPP. Rapidash knew Solar Beam to pwn water/rock/ground types who had an advantage over him. In which, your type advantage quite literally became your downfall. Things like that weren't anywhere near as common back then, because it was a heck of a lot harder to do. Movement was harder. Moves worked differently. People didn't wrap-lock you. Seriously, that move was broken in the originals.

I do agree though, that those that have been with the series for a while have a bit of an edge over the new players and even will in Gen V jsut because we already have experience, which will make the game a bit easier but I don't agree that just because we're older and more experienced that the newer games have gotten easier because of it.

DragonPhoenix wrote:
Don't get me started on platinum... seriously that game is evil if you're doing a nuzlocke run.

The Nuzlocke challenge was meant to make the game difficult and challenging, regardless of what version you are/were playing.

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:35 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
I agree with both parties here & will say that the games are getting easier but they are getting harder as well, both of which are completely ok with me, harder due to more stuff being introduced but easier as well because of more stuff being introduced...

Example of Harder, in Soul Silver I went to battle the Kimono Girls & I learned the hard way(almost) that they are on a completely higher plane then they were in GSC & were way more of a threat cause of moves like Last Resort(which almost obliterated me quite literally), etc...

Example of Easier, in GSC the Elite 4 were very hard to conquer without grinding in comparison to how they were 1st Visit in HGSS which mostly was due to all of game mechanics that were adjusted & the few that were added like every type getting both special & physical moves & all the new moves/movesets that came in Gen 3 & 4, etc...Will was painful for me to deal with in Crystal in comparison to how it was to deal with him in Soul Silver & my Crystal team was actually stronger by choice of pokemon then my Soul Silver team I used throughout the story...

In short, my point is that it is getting easier to get through the games come every new generation but it's also getting harder to do so as well...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think these games where under rated in difficulty because the vast majority of players has been to Johto before.

(Issue?) wil be a better measure of difficulty

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:05 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
KingErick wrote:

Do you mean to say Isshu?...I can't get the gist of what quoted statement says...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

its completely is true,
the first pokemon league was the hardest now they are easy

My trading thread:http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27589

my fc:0561 1373 6911

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:38 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I personally Think soul silver is harder than the originals, I own all 3 GSC and beaten them all and one thing I can point out is that the availability of great tms isnt as abundant as in GSC, like for instance the goldenrod mart doesnt sell the elemental punch moves, which is a huge deal for me when I have a typhlosian because thunder punch is so useful. So I struggled a bit because the tms Im use to arnt there, and I'm having to learn what these new moves do since I jumped from GCC to soul silver, so its very new in a way, but fun all the same! ;D

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:31 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lawence Codye wrote:
KingErick wrote:

Do you mean to say Isshu?...I can't get the gist of what quoted statement says...

I meant to imply that since its a new and unfamiliar region we may find it harder or easier and that will be a better indication of the trajectory of the series.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:43 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I think that gold seemed harder and so did ruby for me, then when i play them now, gold in particular it seems a lot easier as we are a lot more used it it and how it works and what to do, also i don't think that black white are harder so far (got 8 badges now going to league) if anything it seems easier to get through than old games, people give you a lot more items etc etc so i think if fairness old games from memory are harder but it may have been due to being much younger when playing them

Check out my trading forum: http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31150&p=496756#p496756

Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]