It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 How I Feel About The New Pokemon Generation... 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I am a huge Pokemon fan! I love Pokemon a lot, don't get me wrong-but it feels like something's missing.
When I was on youtube I saw a video for the new Black and White games. I was very excited at first but then I saw the trainer characters. I noticed that the girl was wearing those really (for lack of better words) trampy shorts (no their called underwear). I was offened by that! I know it's a "fashion thing" but, as I see it, it's a franchise for children and it always has been. My friend on youtube and I got some nasty private messages from ignorant people telling us that we were immature or they just cursed at us because they couldn't see our point of view.

How my friend KJ and I see why the trainer girl's style is offensive to us (before you read we understand that some girls just dress like that to "fit in" and do not go by the following so don't say we're stereo typing):
1. Girls dress like that to get attention from men (if you what I mean)
2. You only really see teenaged girls or harlots (most appropriate word I can think of) wear those
3. Just because everyone else is wearing that doesn't mean you should wear that
4. Fashion is not the most important thing in life
5. Those "jeans" completely ruin the point of wearing clothes
6. This is a change for the worse

How we see Pokemon:
1. Pokemon is a safe show for children to watch
2. Pokemon is fun and apropriate for all ages (meaning for the WHOLE family)
3. Pokemon has good subimlinal messages
4. Most of the Pokemon characters set a good example for children
5. It's unique (not like most of the garbage on tv at the time)
6. It's easy to understand/comprehend
7. There's no offensive language or subjects in it
8. It offers the card game for older fans
9. It introduces the Japanese tradition to it's fans (got us in to Anime)

Not only that but it feels like it's missing something. Okay well in our opinion it's missing a lot. We are classic lovers (in other words the older the better). We miss Ash's old voice (4 Kids ruins everything!!!), the old hat, were'd Bulbasaur go, the new voices are horrible, the 3D makes it look crappy and where'd the love and the paitence go into making the show?
I feel that these changes are for the worse!

I am still going to wear Ash's hat everyday, get a Houndoom tattoo, carry my Pokewalker with me everyday and tell people that Pokemon is one of my most favorite things but I am boycotting the new games.

I'm glad I go this off of my chest. =3

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:21 pm
Profile YIM
THE POWER IS ON!

So basically you're "boycotting" these games because the female character's shorts are too short? You have the right to your opinion and everything, but aren't you overreacting just a little? Why not pick the male character instead? We've even seen the characters in different outfits because the games have seasons now, and that might have been only her summer outfit. I doubt anybody in the franchise's target demographic batted an eye at her shorts because they're not interested in sex and probably didn't even notice, and they certainly wouldn't care about any of things you brought up about the ways women dress. And why is the BW girl's outfit so risque or a sign that she's trying to fit in with the fashion of other girls when that hideous beast Misty is wearing a tiny baby tee and jean shorts that are just as short in the anime? Candice lives in a city with yearlong snow and yet it looks like she's wearing a tissue over her girl parts.

I'm also not really sure where your rant about the anime was going, especially claiming that "4Kids ruins everything," when 4Kids hasn't had a hand in the dubbing of Pokemon in over four years. After that it pretty much de-evolved into rant about nostalgia. Ash's hat changing is not a big deal and he can't have the same Pokemon forever because that would be boring. All of the decisions in the show are made knowing that the fanbase is cyclic. They bring in new fans and reboot in time for the next wave. It's not fair to the older diehard fans, but it's the ways things are and people either accepted it or stopped watching long ago.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Um...you realize there are only three gym leaders with "super short" shorts, right? Misty, Whitney, and Candice. Most of the female gym leaders are wearing PANTS, including ALL of the Hoenn ones and Maylene. I'm really against censorship and I have to disagree with you because my thoughts are 1) if you're hot, go ahead and wear those kinds of shorts and 2) as long as you're not a FATTY it's totally acceptable to show yourself off. Now, obviously Misty is against my #1 rule, but Whitney and Candice are fine. Pokemon is no exception, quite frankly I don't care if it's a "kids" franchise, the minds of children will not explode if they see Candice bounce up and down wearing a super short skirt in Platinum.

That's just my opinion though, I never saw a problem and personally I never put much thought into it before it was brought up.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I agree with Plusle 100%. But I can also see where you two are going. As for me I believe in censorship-fully! I am not buying the new game either. I find the way most girls dress offensive and degrading too. Just because they are skinny does not mean they can show off their thighs! Eww!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: I cannot disclose this information as it might endanger our units in the feild
yeah we respect your feelings on this but you can't very well lead a sheltered life and that art is promotional only, the avatar in the game will look like all the rest, the top of their head

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It's pokemon I doubt ten year olds are gonna be like: "Oooh that sprite has sexy thighs" I mean come on people. These games come from japan for gods sake.... their standards are a bit sketchy... (underwear in vending machines anyone?). But that doesn't matter so what if the sprites shorts are short. Once again it's a game designed for 10 yr olds if you don't like the way the shorts look don't buy the game or stop checking out the sprites. (Oh I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just incredibly blunt [wham ice punch to the face] ;D)

This has been a public service announcement by D_S

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DS is right

@ the orginal poster:

you clearly were attracted to her for some fantastical reason and are feeling guilty/ creeped out by yourself. 99.8975 % of people wont see her like that and certainly not the kids. This isnt 1950 any more. Get over it.

I didnt even notice the girls shorts and had to go back and see. Your making a big thing out of Nothing.

please don't start a flame war btw- I am going to be out of town for 5 days so I'm not going to be checking this site.

THE KING HAS SPOKEN

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Plusle wrote:
2. You only really see teenaged girls or harlots (most appropriate word I can think of) wear those

The protagonists could very well be teenagers this time around. They're older, remember?? Either way, I can see what you mean; when I got back to the states, I was kinda shocked at how many girls ran around wearing super short shorts (not that i'm complaining, mind you ;-) ), but if it's the fashion, it's the fashion. And I know you wrote your rant before we knew the games were in New York, but that's probably somewhere along the lines of how the Japanese view the typical American girl. *shrug* they're probably not that far off the mark, either, lol.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

rex09 wrote:
And I know you wrote your rant before we knew the games were in New York, but that's probably somewhere along the lines of how the Japanese view the typical American girl. *shrug* they're probably not that far off the mark, either, lol.

no american girls are not more slutty than japanese girls. Girls are girls where-ever, some will be sluts some will not be.

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

KingErick wrote:
rex09 wrote:
And I know you wrote your rant before we knew the games were in New York, but that's probably somewhere along the lines of how the Japanese view the typical American girl. *shrug* they're probably not that far off the mark, either, lol.

no american girls are not more slutty than japanese girls. Girls are girls where-ever, some will be sluts some will not be.

ummm... i never called any of them sluts.... i was talking fashion-wise X__X. but i can see how you would get that idea from what i said, lol.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:36 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Well regardless we can all agree that what's in the opening post is not even a somewhat good reason to boycott the games...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:47 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

your geting upset over a video game sprite realy thats thats i cant think of a word for it

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

alright. i get what your saying that it's bad for little kids to see this. i went to se my little brother a few days ago, i saw a few 4-5'th graders wearing skimpy Jeans (and you shiuld just see the girl's at my school. maby it's becaust my city's right on the beach, (Sweeet Dude!) but it's not common for a teenage girl to wear cargo shorts and a baggy shirt.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:04 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I honestly don't believe the target audience (or their parents) will complain about that. You're overreacting and being way too serious about a children's videogame. Don't put that many nasty thoughts into something that's completely innocent/not even supposed to possess all those subjects you mentioned as arguments (that are very narrow-minded and silly, excuse me). Conservatism is okay, but it seems like you're taking it a little too far.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

its fine. I have no problem witht the girl's shorts. I dont wear them myself, but this is just a game. In my opinion the game is more about the Pokemon, so i really dont think it matters much what the Player character is wearing. It would be bad if the outfit showed maybe too much cleavage or something, but they arent gonna do that in a game meant for children.

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Welcome to Japan's fashion style, where style/appearance triumph over sense and functionality.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:00 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

MasterChef wrote:
Welcome to Japan's fashion style, where style/appearance triumph over sense and functionality.

America's like that too. Why would you wear high heels other than to look good?? You can't walk up stairs (easily) in them, and i've been told that they make your feet hurt like crazy. But they get worn all the time. Just sayin'. ;-)

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't really mind about anything that involves style or fashion. I only mind about the game. If you don't like the clothes, let it be. They probably won't change the design.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

By the way, the 4th post in this thread is OP's alternate account. It's pretty bad when you have to create a second account just to agree with yourself!

What a slut, I guess Plusle won't be playing Black & White next year! This girl is way worse than Misty, Candice, OR Whitney lol

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Krisp wrote:
By the way, the 4th post in this thread is OP's alternate account. It's pretty bad when you have to create a second account just to agree with yourself!

What a slut, I guess Plusle won't be playing Black & White next year! This girl is way worse than Misty, Candice, OR Whitney lol

That is pretty sad, and DAMN. She is worse, she even has a little band around her thigh, but that's not SUCH A bad thing ;) ANYWAYS, who cares if she is wearing short shorts. It's going to happen, things won't always stay the same, fashion is constantly changing and if that means showing more skin, then that's how its gonna be. It's the perverts now a days thats wrong with the world! lol.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:19 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Krisp wrote:

i lol'd

and that trainer/gym leader is HAWT ;-)

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Krisp wrote:

What? That's not a good thing to do, is OP the one who made this thread? Man.
Magikarps_Beast wrote:
It's the perverts now a days thats wrong with the world! lol.

Indeed it is, perverts is the one who makes normal things scandalous.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:14 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

rex09 wrote:
and that trainer/gym leader is HAWT ;-)

Yes, she is[: along with some others *CoughCynthia,Clair&FlanneryCough*

Krisp wrote:

Yes, that is pretty sad.

Magikarps_Beast wrote:
It's the perverts now a days thats wrong with the world! lol.

Yes, yes we are[: JK, but yeah, it kinda is

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Plusle wrote:
I'm glad I got this off of my chest. =3

If it were her top that looked 'slutty,' then I would definitely make a joke about this.

Anyway, I don't see the problem with someone wearing short shorts. Girls that are around the age as the girl trainer do it all the time in real life, and they're not sluts because of it. It's not like this is the first pokemon character (or character from any other video game targeted to all audiences) that's dressed like this either.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:08 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

disregarding Appearances of characters I'm perfectly willing to try it I have some apathy towards it but i'm willing to try it to test out the ones I like

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]