Agree with this theory?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Partially 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 15

Cubone, Marowak, Kangaskahn, and missingno 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm bored so I think I'm gonna let you all in on a theory about the original Pokemon games; one which I accept as the truth. Some of this theory is actually a newer, more complete description that I've come up with, while most of it has been floating around in one form or another.

Originally in Pokemon Red/Blue, the Cubone evolutionary chain went from Cubone to Marowak, and then to Kangaskhan. This is self evident, as Cubone appears rather similar to the baby Kangaskhan that rides around in it's mother's pouch. Also, 'Bonemerang' refers to boomerang just as 'Kangaskhan' refers to Kangaroo. Kangaroo and boomerangs are both natively Australian themes. Furthermore, Lavender town is riddled with grief over the death of a Cubone's mother, whose ghost now haunts the tower there. When you fight the ghost, it turns out to be a Marowak, implying that Marowak is Cubone's mother, however nowhere else in the franchise was this implied. The truth is that it was all a cover up.

Before Pokemon Red/Blue released, the developers decided that Kangaskhan needed to be separated from the previous two stages to become its own standalone Pokemon. The reason for this is that, being a kids game, it wouldn't do to allow small children to learn that a Cubone is actually an orphaned baby Kangaskhan wearing it's dead mother's skull on it's head and slinging it's bones around like clubs and boomerangs. However, the team didn't have time to delete the code at the last minute. Instead of deleting the code, they simply wrote a new non-evolving Marowak and moved the old one to an empty slot... with no number.

You guessed it! Missingno is actually a scrapped prototype of Marowak! You can confirm this theory if you catch a Missingno, as when it levels up it evolves into Kangaskhan. This also explains why, after four generations, even with the advent of breeding and baby pokemon, the baby Kangaskhan has yet to be made into a separate Pok

Last edited by Old Fogey on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You know what I've always seen the similarities between cubone, marowak, and Kangaskahn. But never thought of missingno as the product of gamefreak scrapping an evo for a pokemon

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:58 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Dark_Swampert wrote:
You know what I've always seen the similarities between cubone, marowak, and Kangaskahn. But never thought of missingno as the product of gamefreak scrapping an evo for a pokemon

Actually, there are multiple different types of missingno. We know this not only because they are visually different and sometimes have different names, but also because there are multiple hexadecimal entries which refer to missingno or 'M'. So I think its fair to say that many other pokemon were scrapped and moved to numberless spots in the same fashion... like the pokemon graphics which aren't actually pokemon such as the fossil images of aerodactyl and kabutops, which are ALSO variations of missingno that you can find. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think there are also some missingo that evolve into Gengar or Rhydon, but I've never done that myself.

So to amend the theory, I'm only saying that at least one of the missingno used to be an evolving marowak.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:23 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

hmmm never knew that. most of the Missingno I caught always became like seels and chansey's....

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:24 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:
hmmm never knew that. most of the Missingno I caught always became like seels and chansey's....

Now that's new to my knowledge; all my missingno became Kangaskhan.
This does make a lot of sense to me and the similarities are very apparent. I can see the possibility in this. Although Kangashakn is huge so if this were so it would not be it's mother's skull that cubone wears, but I am guessing this would be a change in the pokedex entry when they cut the evolution to end at Marawak.

Interestingly, I came across someone once, who had somehow tried to unscramble the glitched image of missingno and came up with the conclusion that it is yoshi. They provided an image:

Personally though I am really impressed by this theory and the complete sense it seems to make, I like this a lot.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

interesting but just a hypothesis. as no experiments have been conducted and the pokemon public doesn't believe it; it shouldnt be a theory

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:43 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

The Yoshi theory is absolutely ridiculous and false. I haven't met anyone who has believed in that since 2001 or so when all those false "cheats" to get Pikablu and Togepi in Yellow Version were rampant on the internet...

MissingNo. is nothing more than an error handler, it wasn't meant to evolve into anything. The fact that it ('M) can turn into Rhydon or evolve into Kangaskhan due to number loopbacks. Also, Rhydon being 01 and Kangaskhan being 02 on the hexadecimal list, whilst 'M (MissingNo. doesn't evolve into anything by the way) is 00. There isn't really anything more to support the theory of Cubone supposedly evolving into Kangaskhan besides some glitches in the game (which can be disproved with a technical explanation).

Quote:
but also because there are multiple hexadecimal entries which refer to missingno or 'M'. So I think its fair to say that many other pokemon were scrapped and moved to numberless spots in the same fashion...

It's possible that there were scrapped Pokemon in R/G, but MissingNo. and 'M are only placeholders so they game doesn't implode on itself if there is a wild encounter with said hexadecimal. There is no way to know for sure because the majority of the beta data was either removed or it never existed, I'm leaning towards it "never existing" due to the fact that beta data still exists in the game. For example, Prof. Oak's team is still fully programmed, bird type, and perhaps the truck sprite are all beta data.

In conclusion, both theories are false, but the scrapped Pokemon theory could be real.

Quote:
interesting but just a hypothesis. as no experiments have been conducted and the pokemon public doesn't believe it; it shouldnt be a theory

They're generally not accepted theories within the Pokemon Community because proof has been found to suggest otherwise, but they're still subject to fan fiction/art and all that garbage.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Of course it's ridiculous, I never said otherwise. The same person also claimed 99% of people they knew claimed the dragonite firestone trick to work. **** right? Of course! I just thought the image and the idea of trying to rearrange the glitchy particles of Missingno interesting.

This Kangaskhan theory while seeming to make sense and is very thoughtful and insightful is still as previously said just that, a theory, aka a notion purely from the imagination and puzzle pieces that appear to fit together.

Honestly programming was so poor and limited back then I am not surprised a few random irremovable bugs/glitches got in there.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Let's note that Kangaskhan's pokedex entry states that it is a "Mother" Pokemon, and 100% of them are female. Who's getting all these Kangaskhan pregnant huh? Perhaps it's Marowak? Come on people, speculate! There are far too many "coincidences" here.

Cubone's pokedex entry is also quite interesting. It's known as the "Lonely" Pokemon. Now why on earth would every Cubone in existence be considered lonely... unless they were all orphans? Let's read further...

from Ruby version: CUBONE pines for the mother it will never see again. Seeing a likeness of its mother in the full moon, it cries. The stains on the skull the POK

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It really makes me believe to the theory, why don't the Nintendo make the evolutionary line of Cubone, Marowak and Kangashkan? Maybe because it was too complicated to introduce in the earlier Pokemon games, but who knows?

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:13 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Old Fogey, while the evidence is very convincing and insightful unless Nintendo speaks of this theory it's false. Just as in a court of law, innocent until proven guilty.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:39 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

ur theory is kinda cool but what happen to the skull and the bone when {marowak} evolve to {kangaskhan}?

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Dont know bout the bone but perhaps it outgrew the skull?..

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

On the topic of Missing No., it can evolve into anything. It just depends on the Sp.Atk value of the last Poke'Mon you previously fought. In this sense, it's an easy way to get as many Mew's as you like, so long as the Sp.Atk value is 21.

On the note of Cubone and Kangaskhan, I'd say I find such a theory to be quite an off-shot. The fact that you can't see Cubone's head allows the Poke'Mon to be a large number of possibilities. It could be a Charmander for all we know. It's body is identical to a Charmander with the exception of a flame-lit tail, even the Skull itself is identical to that of a Charizards. The body itself is identical to also a large number of other Poke'Mon, even after 1st Gen.

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:12 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Good notice on the Charmander body. It could be the fact that it wore Charizard's skull , and the fire tail could be gotten from lets say .. a battle from a Fire Pokemon ?
The fire was so strong that even after healing , a small fire still stays lit at its tail tip.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:30 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If I wanted to explain if Cubone was in-fact a baby Charmander it'd have to go like this:

Cubone is very young. This being said, it's body either hadn't matured enough to go through the biological process of producing the correct chemicals for fire. Just like a Dragon (not Poke'Mon) breaths fire through a mixture of chemicals inside of its body and lights somewhere around the neck and jaw, allowing it to spit fire.

This being said, it remains a Ground type until it's body undergoes such changes, though with it being such a lonely Poke'Mon, obviously experiencing much different lifestyles than a normal Charmander, rather than maturing into a Charmander, it became Marowak.

This could be said for a number of different Poke'Mon (though I personally find it a bit more difficult to believe that Cubone's ground type is actually a baby Kangaskhan, which is a normal type. It using bones I don't think is big enough for a difference to change types.)

Created unique Trainers? Gym Leaders? Elite 4 members or Champions? Show them off here!

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Look closer , on both {cubone} & {marowak} the skull looks slightly different .

Is there a logic explanation for the skull changing or what ?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:05 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

zPIRATED wrote:
Look closer , on both {cubone} & {marowak} the skull looks slightly different .

Is there a logic explanation for the skull changing or what ?
"Somewhere in the world is a cemetary just for MAROWAK. It gets it's bones from these graves." ~Pokemon Crystal Version.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

A reason why some people disagree with this theory is that Cubone and Marowak are Ground types,and Kangaskhan is a Normal type.I have 2 things to say to this:

1)Pokemon have completely changed their types in evolution in the past.Eevee is a prime example of this.
2)In the Red/Blue games,a Kangaskhan is owned and used by Giovanni, who is a Ground type Gym Leader.This helps prove the theory that Kangaskhan was supposed to be an evolution in the Cubone family,but because it was changed at the last minute Pokemon were unable to remove it from the gym.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]