It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Are Action Replays Really Needed? Why use them? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I struggle back and forth trying to decide whether I should even consider using an Action Replay. I have thought of the pros and cons of using one. But some reason I find myself using one for stupid reason. Tell me what you all think and your opinion on them.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:02 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think this might go in the General Pokemon Discussion.

I personally don't like using them myself to gain an advantage, but it is sometimes fun to walk on water.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I do say that that is a fun thing to do. I sometimes use it to catch a pokemon that I want with the right nature.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

To be honest, I would use an AR to get even items or Pokemon (like the flute to get Arceus, just to try and do the event), because personally, the game is less about battle or training the right team, I can breed for that later, but more about the experience of playing a game.

Off Topic: Yeah, belongs in General Pokemon discussion, because I don't see how this pertains specifically to BW.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:21 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Actually, i did use Action Replay. But i only used it to obtain unobtainable Pokemon. But if you used them to complete the game (Like winning battle), i suggest to not use them.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yes, they are needed to fully enjoy the game. Only one brick break TM per game in Emerald? That's bull ****. I see no reason why I can't use a Gameshark (because I don't have an AR for GBA right now...) to give myself 99 of them. Sure, I could use the cloning exploit, but what's the point? I save myself TONS of time by just using one code to give myself 99 of every TM. Masterballs are another thing - whilst I seldom use them, I have no patience for legendary Pokemon (especially if I'm trying to get one with the correct nature) and what if I see a few shinies? Shouldn't I be allowed to carry 99 of them around? Also, unobtainable berries are stupid. I used my Gameshark to give myself 99 Liechi/Petaya/Salac berries because I want a few of them for Battle Frontier.

In Diamond & Pearl I use Pokesav pretty often to give myself things I want (Dittos with 31 IVs in every stat, items that can only be won in Battle Frontier, etc.) and I see nothing wrong with this personally. I've also used Pokesav for jokes and giggles: one time I traded a Sneasel to a member here (I think it was Peanut-lover) that had 0 IVs in all of his stats except 31 SA IV, and had the ability Slow Start. It was pretty funny to see his reaction.

Another time I found AR to be useful is when I wanted to hack my old GSC team. I put them all in Cherish Balls, made the OT and ID numbers match my Pokemon Stadium 2 information, and I gave them 31 IVs in every stat. Oh, and something you can't do without cheating - I changed their locations to "Johto" :)

Sure, I could be "normal" and breed the HARD way for all of my Pokemon; but what's the point? Action Replay just makes things easier and quicker. I don't have time to sit there and breed Pokemon for days at a time when I can just do it the easy way and hack them. Pokesav is a brilliant program and I hope the devs can make one for Black & White!

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Krisp wrote:
Yes, they are needed to fully enjoy the game. Only one brick break TM per game in Emerald? That's bull ****. I see no reason why I can't use a Gameshark (because I don't have an AR for GBA right now...) to give myself 99 of them. Sure, I could use the cloning exploit, but what's the point? I save myself TONS of time by just using one code to give myself 99 of every TM. Masterballs are another thing - whilst I seldom use them, I have no patience for legendary Pokemon (especially if I'm trying to get one with the correct nature) and what if I see a few shinies? Shouldn't I be allowed to carry 99 of them around? Also, unobtainable berries are stupid. I used my Gameshark to give myself 99 Liechi/Petaya/Salac berries because I want a few of them for Battle Frontier.

I feel the same way, which is why I use my AR for 99x TM. I also use it to EV train my Pokemon. Why encounter Gastly which award me 1 SpA EVs when I can encounter Mewtwo which award me 3 SpA EVs? I also use it to level up my Pokemon. Whether I am useing Rare Candies or encountering level appropriate pokemon.

I would never use my AR to win in-game battles. Even worse would be to hack up a monster of a team and use it competetively. That is just my opinion though, everyone is entitled to their own veiw.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:49 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm completely clueless on how to make AR codes other than when I find them on SuperCheats.com and thats all I use for that. Is there you can send me a guide for making AR codes for Diamond, Platinum, HG, or SS? If you cant then dont sweat it, it's not a big deal, it would just be nice to do the OT changing and the area caught from changing.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:52 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If I didn't use my Action Replay I wouldn't even be able to competitively battle. I use it to hack myself entire tiers of Pokemon with Pokesav, an endeavor not to be taken lightly. It is fun to use and allows people without as much time as others to accomplish the same thing. Thought it is fun for shiggles to make overly impossible Pokemon to use against friends to see their reactions.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I feel the same way because I don't always have the time to do all the extensive training like other people.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Can somebody tell me what Pokesav is? I know it's a dumb question, but nobody ever talks about it.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:37 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

it's a program that makes AR codes, if i understand correctly. i've never used it, but i'm considering downloading it.

i use AR for, as Magus said, events. i also found some codes that make finding shinies easier lol. but most of the time, i try to avoid cheating devices lol. but if you need something you can't normally get, AR is for you.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Were do you download the program Pokesav?

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:01 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

just try googling it or something. shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Alrighty. I downloaded it and made codes, now how do I get them to work on my Action Replay DSi (the newer version)?

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:17 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I personally don't use Action Replays/Pokesav, but I'm not really against the use of them. My friend uses Pokesav and he's made some pretty awesome team and I got lulz from battling him and losing pathetically using my hand-bredded team. A lot of the fun that I have in Pokemon is actually putting the effort in to raise my team and test my luck and patience with IVs, and go through EV training, so that when I win a battle I get the satisfactory lulz from knowing that I put hard work into raising my team. Plus I want to lulz myself and play in an official tournament sometime.

Not that using these things is bad or lazy or shameful in any way.
It's just a personal thing. A "G thang", if you will. Pokesav seems like hella fun. I just can't download anything right now. :P

~A haiku

I disable smilies because I do not smile.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I like that you were being completely honest. I admire you for that.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:51 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well id use the AR for the Azure Flute or any other event items you missed. Azure Flute isnt gonna be released, so thats the only way to actually catch an Arceus. I think they were planning to release it before HG/SS came out, but decided to scrap it and just give out Arceus istead. So if you want to catch your own Arceus, or get a shiny one, thats the only way. If you missed Darkrai or Shaymin's event you can do that too, but there is a way you can get them with no AR( the tweaking glitch)

AR is also useful for Instant checking of a pokemon's IVs or to find your Secret ID. The Secret ID can be found legitimately but only if you caught a shiny, or have alot of chained shinies.

I dont think its ok to do stuff like max out IVs, make all pokemon shiny or hack illegal moves onto a pokemon.

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:48 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, when playing a console I don't use this kind of stuff, because I don't have the things to. But when playing ROMs, I always do. I mean the only reason I play ROMs is to have fun playing the game, you can't competitive battle on em, so why not make it fun and play with gameshark :D

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Also, you could use Action Replay sometimes to act as a sort of shoddybattle type thing with your friends. i.e. If you and your friend want to test out a kewl new Subsitute/Bellydrum Charizard against you and doesn't have time to actually make one, just pop one our from your birthday present brand new Action Replay!

Plus, you can make "what if" Pokemon. Like "What if my Shedinja had 900 HP?"

It's a fun tool. To each they's own.

~A haiku

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

You can't change the base stats of Pokemon. You change the value to 999 I guess but it will always revert back when the game re-calculates the stats (linking, PC deposit, level up)

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Oh that sucks. I wouldn't know I don't use Action Replay. Would it break the game or something if you did change the base stats? I figure it would be a small change in the programming. I'd think that if you can change it to walk through walls that you could change it to heighten base stats. And not have the PC mess with things. Why is the PC so magical anyway? Seems like a pretty neat-o idea as an anti-cheating concept but why is there no way around it?

And to be sure: You're talking about Action Replay, not Pokesav, yes?

PS. I loffs your new avatar. :3

~A haiku

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

To put it simply...Action Replay only modifies your saved file. You can't change the programming of the game, like base stats of a Pokemon. You'd have to do it with something other than an AR (like modify the ROM on your computer.) You can give yourself any item, any Pokemon, but you can't add new items or Pokemon without changing the internal code.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I have never used an action replay as I have never had my hands on one. I have a GBC gameshark though(somewhere, I lost it XP). I used to pump myself up with that thing using every cool sounding code I could find, but recently I begun to only use it when I felt it essential such as to get a Pikachu and Houndoom in my crystal(the only living member of my metal set) when normally it takes until Kanto to encounter those pokemon and the wait sucks. At some point I begun seeing the devalue in cheating every single aspect of the game.

I actually have recently considered buying a duel action replay that supports both GBA and DS, I found one on Ebay for a reasonable price(although I was looking for a GBA only AR but only found a couple of those for over $90 **** bucks what the bloody hell!?). I need to get my old Ebay account off of this damn lock down thing though(cuz it's suspected I was hacked about five years ago) I can not buy anything with it right now.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:51 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I, personally use have an Action Replay but i try not to use it =/ its good to save you spending a week or more leveling up your pokemon to lvl 100, but i do enjoy it sometimes :D. i mainly use it for EV's.

Probable White Team:

{doryuuzu} {mijumaru} {zekrom} {sazando} {shibirudon} {gigaiasu}

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]