It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What is/are the worst/most pointless R/B/Y Pokemon Move(s) 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

1. Whirlwind/ Roar

Reason: my reason is simple, if you want to escape from a battle, simply run away. If your Pokemon isn

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1) They are for Pseudo-Hazing (phazing) and are actually very useful, although perhaps not in-game

3) Thunder? Pointless? Don't get me started.... a 120bp attack, thats hardly pointless

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Whirlwind and Roar are strategic moves. If a pokemon that is super effective against yours comes out you can use roar/whirlwind to get rid of it. Thunder is one of the best electric moves {pikachu} in yellow wouldn't be much without it.

P.S doesn't splash do absolutely nothing????

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:53 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Instant Bacon and Dark Swampert

Whirlwind/Roar

I am aware of what Pseudo-Hazing is and how it can be used to both get rid of stat modifiers and force your opponent to switch out to another Pokemon. However, correct me if I

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

bobertleoroy wrote:
Instant Bacon and Dark Swampert
Thunder

Personally, I just wish its accuracy was like that of Blizzard

... They both have 70% accuracy.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:52 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

ArcaNineTales

Perhaps that is the case in today

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:05 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

They gave Pikachu Thunderbolt in Yellow so that way kids could emulate Ash's Pikachu. Not because of accuracy.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Um...I'm sorry, but putting Thunder as "most pointless move" is just ridiculous. There are plenty of worthless moves and Thunder is not one of them. If you want to complain about accuracy then complain about Horn Drill, Fissure, Guillotine all with THIRTY PERCENT ACCURACY and the move FAILS if your Pokemon is slower than the opponent or is at a lower level. Sing and Hypnosis also have terrible accuracy and are worse than Thunder at 55% and 60% respectfully.

A terrible move that I'd like to point out that hasn't been mentioned yet is Razor Wind (75% accuracy, 80 BP, takes TWO TURNS to use and it's normal-type...what a joke!)

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

wrap is the worst move.

its there to piss you off if you cant ohko a ekans/arbok

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Wrap and Fire Spin are among the best, albeit broken, moves of Generation I. They were easily spammed, and given a strategy can sweep.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:05 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

My mom's entertainment center still has dents and chips from how many times the N64 controller hit it...all thanks to Lance's Dragonair and Dragonite with their broken Wrap/Thunderwave combination on Pokemon Stadium. Saying Wrap/Bind/Firespin/Clamp are "bad moves" in generation I is just wrong.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Krisp wrote:
My mom's entertainment center still has dents and chips from how many times the N64 controller hit it...all thanks to Lance's Dragonair and Dragonite with their broken Wrap/Thunderwave combination on Pokemon Stadium. Saying Wrap/Bind/Firespin/Clamp are "bad moves" in generation I is just wrong.

No Joke. I just about broke my controller doing that. Already broke the 2nd playing Zelda... Damn Gerudo Guards can suck it, getting around them and getting all those carpenters is so difficult. They are and always will be my arch nemesis(es?), they're ceaseless frustration has killed at least 3 controllers of mine over the years..

ANYWAYS, I would say the most pointless move was string shot, looking at how the only pokemon that knew it were weak anyways, slowing the opponent didnt do much other than slow down the battle.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Correct. Wrap, Bind, Fire Spin, and every other moves like that are annoying, not pointless.

But yes, Splash and String Shot are the most pointless moves.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:02 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Krisp wrote:

A terrible move that I'd like to point out that hasn't been mentioned yet is Razor Wind (75% accuracy, 80 BP, takes TWO TURNS to use and it's normal-type...what a joke!)

Yes I have yet to understand how the bloody hell razor wind is normal!
Flash for me is terribly useless and a waste of an irremovable space(in the classics it's irremovable anyway, I don't believe they have a move deleter until the metal set). I have actually made it through dark cave without it just because I refuse to teach anyone a move I'll never use that I can not replace later. It's really not that difficult especially if you blast a light on the gameboy screen you can practically see right through the darkness.

And I am quite surprised no one has bothered to mention the move that actually does NOTHING, splash! What the bloody hell was the point of splash!?

I also agree with string shot.

kingEric wrote:
wrap is the worst move.

its there to piss you off if you cant ohko a ekans/arbok

I actually found that wrap became weaker after the first generation because the in between move hits the trapping moves make in the later sets are no more than a pinch of HP; the continuous hits the moves had in the first generation were badass.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:09 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Roar and Whirlwind have some uses... on VERY rare occasions. Explosion and Self-Destrust are even worse, but still hold to the same principle. However, the worst move has always been, and will always be, Splash.

Last edited by realityrunaway on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Quote:

I'd like to point out that Blizzard and Thunder both have 90% accuracy in RBY, not 70.

As for most pointless move? Constrict. Always has been, always will be.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Focus Energy

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:40 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

DNA wrote:
Quote:

I'd like to point out that Blizzard and Thunder both have 90% accuracy in RBY, not 70.

Only Blizzard does. They changed it in GSC to be just like Thunder, i.e. 70% accuracy.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:30 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

...that's bizarre. I must be really lucky, because in all my days of RBY I have never known Thunder to miss.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:49 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I have to say Barrage. It's weak, 85% accuracy, and Exeggcute and Exeggutor don't get STAB.

"

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:33 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

bobertleoroy wrote:
1. Whirlwind/ Roar

Reason: my reason is simple, if you want to escape from a battle, simply run away. If your Pokemon isn

Alright, i wish all pokemon could have roar/whirlwind. This was me, i hadnt saved and wobbufett was first in my party. Guess what i ran into another WOBBUFETT! I had to turn the game off, but i was pissed off royally!

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

King_Charizard wrote:
Alright, i wish all pokemon could have roar/whirlwind. This was me, i hadnt saved and wobbufett was first in my party. Guess what i ran into another WOBBUFETT! I had to turn the game off, but i was pissed off royally!

That problem actually doesn't exist in Gen 4 and newer games - it only existed in Gen 3. (If 2 Pokemon with Shadow Tag faced each other, they were allowed to switch out, except in RSEFRLG.)

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It happened in FR, it annoyed me so much.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

It really would be nice if they ever actually made splash do something. I know Gyarados is pretty awesome and you get a sense of accomplishment for leveling a karp to 20 by only being able to swap him out in battle, but it's just so silly to have a move that literately does absolutely nothing.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Back in the old days of Red/Blue/Yellow Roar and Whirlwind were ACTUALLY pointless... These moves didn't force the opposite Pokemon to switch, in fact I loved Gary's Arcanine for losing time in Roaring any Pokemon I put in front of him.
And Splash is useful, just to make Magikarp what is nowadays: no Splash, no Super-Magikarp!
I hated Rage, you were stuck with a weak move and, even if it did get stronger, you didn't had the time to make it become stronger... Oh, yeah, Constrict is awful...

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next