It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Frost's Unova Rankings (100-91): Walk Like a Unovan 

Which top 100 is superior?
IGN's because Frost's is too gay 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
Frost's because IGN's is too predictable 81%  81%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 42

Frost's Unova Rankings (100-91): Walk Like a Unovan 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

my first starter was Squirtle....

my favourites still in though!!!!!

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:33 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This goes back a few, but I remember hearing that jigglypuff was supposed to be the mascot; not clefairy. Then and again, everything gets lost in translation when you frequent a site that hypocritically whores BUNNIES (love what you did with the censorship, should've picked that up earlier...) and denies everything about it. I did here about how missingno was supposed to be kangaskhan's baby but instead got moved to file M and became missingno.

EDIT: I also remember an episode where gary's eevee beat God Ash's pikachu with a headbutt.

current party in HG:
{typhlosion} {quagsire} {crobat} {tyranitar} {honchkrow} {gyarados}
If you want to find me outside of Psypoke, you can find me on the pokemon lab server, look for steamroll. They will also be updating to the Gen V metagame soon so that will be worth checking out, too.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have always liked Clefabulous nearly making appearances on all my Gen 1 teams. It has such a versitile movepool making it impossible to have a true Clefabulous counter, nowadays. I never really thought of it as gay, but now I kinda do. I guess me liking Clefabulous at an early age was an early showing of my bisexuality.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

MissingNo. would not be high on my list. It's kind of hard to like something that was just a mass of glitchy pixels rather than an intentional design.

Update Title: "Frost's First Time," referring to #68.

70. Slowking Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 199)
Slowking was yet another early-debuting Johto Pokemon, and it most famously appeared with the random ability of human speech in the second movie, including his funny "I could use pants" line. Like other Johto alternate evolutions, Slowking was a bit unnecessary and inferior in battle, since Slowbro's higher Defense is more useful and it only gets Nasty Plot to compensate. However, I love branched evolutions and Slowking's was both explained AND a callback to how Slowpoke becomes Slowbro, although I do wish Slowking were Psychic/Poison to distinguish itself, as Shellder does release poison into its brain to make it smart. As a trade evolution, it was always one of those off-limits Pokemon, but Krisp helped me get one in Diamond and then I got it again in Crystal, and that only solidified Slowking as awesome in my book. It's another design who can pull off being a cute badass, and it unintentionally reminds me of King Hippo because it's one itself. It also has association with two awesome Psypokes, the departed Yadoking and current Frontier Brain Skull Kid, and that gives it bonus cool points.

I wept deeply upon seeing Slowking in this condition.

69. Snorlax Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 143)
Unless Chansey counts, Snorlax is the last of the Pokemon who have remained OU through all four Generations. As I've said before, I really have respect for these select few Pokemon because their level of staying power is definitely uncommon, and Snorlax would likely be the strongest unbanned Pokemon if all four metagames were averaged. It started out as good in RBY, since it got Amnesia as well as good HP and Attack and a great movepool. After that, Snorlax got a massive buff in Special Defense and became the top-tier user of Curse, which complements its stats perfectly, and Curselax since has instilled terror on the metagame. Granted, although still very potent, it was a little worse for wear in DP's metagame due to movepool limitations, and that's kind of why I wish Snorlax had a better second ability than Immunity, which is an oddball choice seemingly inspired from Snorlax's ability to eat rotten and/or moldy food. Yet, despite its obvious battle prowess, I've only ever used Snorlax once in-game: in LeafGreen in 2008. Otherwise, I caught it to progress the game and then boxed it.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Or else SNORLAX HONGRY AND GON EATCHU!

I should show Snorlax more love in the games, as it's my ideal type of Pokemon: cute and able to kick ass. It's a metagame whore yet, despite being one of the fattest Pokemon in existence (it's still so wrong that newer Pokemon are heavier, BTW), it's still adorable and has a laidback, happy personality. Wouldn't be awesome to take a nap on a Snorlax's belly? And isn't it great how it always wants a hug? There's tons of cute Snorlax moments, like it dancing, trying to eat Ash, and its TCG artwork, even if Snorlax cards evaded me as a kid. I loved seeing Ash with such a powerhouse, but I also understand why it didn't stick around, since it kind of impractical from a logic standpoint. It also lacks a tangible basis; my closest guess is a bear since it hibernates, but I also used to think it had cat ears, so who knows. And I grudgingly admit that Munchlax is necessary because it makes no sense for 1,000+-pound Snorlax to hatch from an egg. Snorlax is also associated with two awesome Psypokes (Nova and Crunchy) and is generally loved by all, and I am no exception, as Snorlax is awesome.

68. Charmander Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 4)
Once upon a time, Frost was still new to Pokemon. After watching the TV show for a few weeks, he really wanted to play the games and downloaded legally acquired Blue Version. After spending fifteen minutes trying to leave his room and get to Oak's Lab, it was time to pick his first Pokemon ever. He analyzed his choices. None of them looked particularly great in Blue's primitive graphics, but, for some reason, the middle choice was more appealing than the other two. He didn't care about the flame on its tail. He was clueless that Brock and Misty's types made it the "difficult" choice. And he certainly had no idea that it became an OMG AWESOME DRAGON!1! He simply picked Charmander because it looked the least lame of the three, and he used it for the entire game, although its final moveset was probably Ember, Fire Spin, Flamethrower and Fire Blast. While others eclipsed it over the years, nothing can take away Charmander's status as his "first," and little did he know that Charmander would be his original Pokemon of thousands and begin an ongoing obsession with his very favorite series to this day.

Charmander was also my favorite of Ash's starters in the anime because it had, by far, the best introduction, the most believable reason to join Ash's team, and the cutest, most lovable personality, even though the writers trashed all of this when it evolved into a massive asshole. The disconnect between the nice Pokemon that I liked and the GRR TOUGH ANGRY Charizard that everyone else did was why I preferred Bulbasaur for awhile, but I can't deny my roots and Charmander is cuter anyway, so it's reclaimed its throne. Like Bulbasaur and Squirtle, Charmander too is reptilian and depends on as aspect of its design, in this case its tail's flame, to survive. But Charmander's design coolly references a mythical salamander who could endure flames, just like Digimon's "Charmander ripoff" Agumon. Base Charmander was also one of my first TCG trades, and I loved playing with the group of Charmander in Pokemon Snap. I again chose it in FRLG and HGSS because those games are all about nostalgia, and it was funny owning Brock with Metal Claw after the pain of fighting him in RBY. Overall, for its importance as my first Pokemon, cute appearance, and good associated memories across all canons, Charmander earns its spot as my favorite Kanto Starter.

67. Froslass Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 478)
When I saw Froslass for the first time, although I found it weird how her head resembled Lugia's, I loved her immediately. As a cute, funny crackwhore, she was sure to become the next Jynx, with tons of people bitching about how ugly and stupid she is, but surprisingly enough I rarely see Froslass hatred. Froslass' typing, backstory and design, including her red kimono, are effectively based on the Japanese youkai yuki-onna, an icy ghost woman who died in the mountains. Her Ghost-type, more specialized stats and deeper movepool also make her HIGHLY superior to Glalie in battle, and I remember fighting some idiot from the chats and owning her with Froslass after she declared, "That thing's ugly!" It was cool how Paul got a girly Pokemon like Froslass because he's all about power, and I was SO sad that I didn't get Froslass in my booster box, but thankfully R_R bought me one. <3 Froslass is definitely one of the best new evolutions and Sinnoh Pokemon in general, and if I had to pick between having both Froslass and Gallade or neither, I'd let Gallade exist because I like Froslass that much.

66. Ludicolo Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 272)
Like I said, I really wanted a Water/Grass-type but originally didn't care for Lotad. And then I saw its EVOLUTION and was even more lamed out - Ludicolo just looked stupid in RS with its crazy eyes and beak. This is why I emphasize the anime and TCG in my rankings: both showed Ludicolo as much more animated and hilarious than that one sprite, and both were key to changing my opinion, although I wish Brock's Ludicolo had more screentime. Eventually I realized that, like Mow Rotom, Ludicolo is one of those designs that you just have to not take so seriously and love. It's a dancing pineapple duck and that's awesome, especially because its bill and sombrero are based on kappa. After the whole Jynx fiasco, I'm also glad nobody accused Ludicolo of being racist, but being cute and happy with no real negative stereotypes might a play a role there too. As a cool Sapphire-exclusive, Ludicolo is actually very good for an early-game Pokemon, with a great typing, decent stat spread and good movepool and abilities, so I'm really glad that I ended up loving Pokemon's very first Water/Grass-type. Image related:

65. Sandshrew Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 27)
Back in 1999, my friend and I wanted to register for Yahoo! Games. I didn't know what name to use, so he suggested that I pick "a Pokemon nobody really cares about." Thus, sandshrew_88 became my first internet handle ever and the Pokemon has become one of my random favorites. "The Path to the Pokemon League" aired a week after I started watching, and I really liked how AJ's Sandshrew was the anime's first Pokemon to be cute, unevolved and still very powerful, and I especially liked its funny laugh when Pikachu got stuck in the Macho Brace. It's been exclusive to my main games, which is cool, and I even played through Yellow once with only Sandshrew to emulate AJ. Sandshrew is a pretty cute little guy, especially in Pokemon Snap and the TCG, and Brock's Sandshrew's artwork was one of my favorites to the point that I bought it as a kid despite not collecting the Gym sets. It's also a pretty cool design; despite the Pokedex calling it a "Mouse," its rough skin and ability to roll into a ball makes it resemble an armadillo, and I really wish GameFreak would dust off the line for improvement.

64. Vulpix Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 37)
As one of the KFC plushies, Vulpix was actually among the first Pokemon I saw. And as a Blue-exclusive baby fox with a lovely design, it has always been one of my favorite Fire-types. Brock's "mascot" Vulpix was a nice addition to his team, but his Pokemon were always underused and he gave it back to Suzie in Johto even though he only had four Pokemon at the time. Lame. However, I do like that he had one in Pokemon Stadium and the TCG because meta-references are cool. I also liked how Vulpix was the only Pokemon timid enough to run away from the Zero-One in Snap, which is kind of strange when you think about it. Base Vulpix was in my first TCG booster pack EVER, and it has several cute cards to boot. I am so glad they changed Vulpix's name from the beta "Foxfire" (sup Mozilla) but, pathetically, it took me YEARS to realize Vulpix's name contains a reference to its number of tails. It's also inconsistent with Vulpix's Pokedex entries that it hatches with six of them already ZOMG. Still, it's a personal favorite for its puppy eyes, lovely curls that match its tails and good memories in general.

This speaks for itself. Suck it, Misty.

63. Vaporeon Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 134)
Vaporeon was my original favorite out of the Eeveelutions because I used to be a total fanatic for Water-types and, coincidentally, it was the Eeveelution that James wanted Eevee to become when Team Rocket captured it in that one episode. In battle, Vaporeon started out in Gen I as a bland, outclassed Water-type; while it was better than Flareon, and that's not saying much, it was definitely inferior to Jolteon. These days, however, the race between Vaporeon and Jolteon for the title of "Most Useful Eevee" is much more close, and I'd even wager than Vaporeon is winning. It's a textbook "Bulky Water" due to its huge HP and Special Defense, yet it's ironically not bulky, which means that Grass Knot doesn't rip it apart like most other Bulky Waters. With the power to pass Wish or massive Substitutes, and with a great ability and good Special Attack, I usually /rolleyes when people claim that all of the Eeveelutions suck in battle due to Vaporeon's existence.

Even though it's odd that HP is the best stat of the Water-type Eeveelution, Vaporeon can't complain because its alignment is as close to perfect as possible under the family's stat limitations. Speaking of water, I like how Vaporeon's flavor text describes its ability to melt into water and I wish it had a better move to showcase this than Acid Armor. I also like that Vaporeon is very distinct compared its counterparts; while the others are odd fox/cat/dog/etc. hybrids, Vaporeon rocks fins, a webbed collar and a giant mermaid tail. And, despite being a weird fish creature, Vaporeon is actually extremely cute, particularly in the card game, although it has a weird DP sprite and its alien eyes can be creepy sometimes. Still, Light Vaporeon could be used as a dictionary definition of cute. On my admin Eeveelution team, Vaporeon was named after darkmind, mostly because they were the two unmatched entities, but it works because they're both cool. Vaporeon is also R_R's favorite Eeveelution, and was even his nickname in the chats for awhile, so that's another bonus. Overall, Vaporeon is great.

62. Swablu Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 333)
So I kind of go on and on about how certain Pokemon are cute. I get it, I know. But Swablu is really one of the most adorable concepts to come out of this series: a little blue bird with cotton wings who goes around cleaning dirty surfaces with said wings just because it likes cleanliness. How is that not darling? And wouldn't it be awesome to give a hug to Swablu with those big fluffy wings? A bird with cloud wings is actually incredibly creative, especially when its Japanese name Tyltyl is a reference to a play called "The Blue Bird," and I wish that Swablu could have been a pure Flying-type, or at least evolved into one, but we all know how Gamefreak denied us that. Swablu also has a place in my heart for "True Blue Swablu," which is one the best episodes of the anime, ever. It was amazing to see May work so hard to care for an injured Swablu and help it learn how to fly again, especially when it sang to the tune of Jigglypuff's song, and it SUCKED that she didn't end up catching it in the end. So overall, even though it's really hard to use in battle and evolves too late, it's one incredibly lovable Pokemon.

61. Lapras Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 131)
In Sunflora's entry, I hinted that I had a dramatic turn-around on one Pokemon, and it is Lapras. In 2001, Lapras was my least favorite Pokemon ever and I used to make jokes about clubbing baby Lapras, all because it got more attention than fellow Water/Ice-types Dewgong and Cloyster, who I both preferred a lot more at the time. However, like many other Pokemon, my opinion about Lapras slowly began shift, partially because I realized it was stupid to hate a Pokemon just for its popularity (unless its fanbase is completely obnoxious, and Lapras' never was), but also because Lapras itself got discarded for more powerful Pokemon after GSC. I used Lapras for the first time in FRLG and finally realized why it was awesome: in addition to being very cute, it has great stats and a massive movepool. It is disheartening to see something on Lapras's caliber relegated to DP's NU tier due to its low Speed and Shit Stealth Rock, but I like that it's never received a baby form (despite what Serebii said) or evolution because it's cool to have at least ONE strong single-stage Pokemon who ISN'T Legendary.

Darn, I hate it when my Squirtle suddenly turns into a Lapras!

Lapras' plesiosaur-inspired design is an obvious nod to the Loch Ness monster, but thankfully they didn't go the cringe-inducing route of calling it some variation of "Ness," which was its original beta name. (*convulsions*) I'm also thankful that, despite Lapras' original GRR ANGRY FANGS look, it has mellowed into a cutie over the years. I appreciate its gentle, friendly and intelligent personality, and it sucks that it's endangered in-universe because it trusts and ferries humans, who are mostly evil. Lapras also got some nice screentime in the anime since Ash caught one as his own personal ferry throughout the Orange Islands. It was great seeing Ash with an Ice-type, and Lapras even got its own adorable Japanese ending theme sung by Misty, "Raparsu Ni Notte." Since it was a baby during the Orange episodes, it was also a pleasant surprise to see grown-up Lapras return for a Johto episode; I wish Butterfree could say the same. ;( Fossil Lapras is a favorite in TCG GB Rain Dance decks, and it has many other lovely cards too. It's very hard to believe I ever hated Pokemon that I've come to love so much.

Next update: 4 Kanto, 3 Johto, 2 Hoenn, 1 Sinnoh.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:27 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Snorlax <3

I've read all your posts and I'm loving the opinions, addition pictures and photos of cards. You're actually pretty in-depth on how you like or dislike a pokemon, and it's interesting to learn the history on why a certain pokemon appeals to you in-game, anime, real life or internet in general. Can't wait to read the last 60 pokemon. :)

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:23 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Lapras is one of my all-time favorites. every time I play through LeafGreen, it's always on my roster and usually pwns the elite four because I teach it Psychic, Hydro Pump (15 PP and STAB; SWWEEET), Ice Beam (nevermeltice helps A LOT) and Thunderbolt.

current party in HG:
If you want to find me outside of Psypoke, you can find me on the pokemon lab server, look for steamroll. They will also be updating to the Gen V metagame soon so that will be worth checking out, too.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Charmander's intro episode was really touching.... One of the few ones I'd probably watch again. Also, loludicolo, and thanks for answering my question!!

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

watch me put very unfunny quotes in my post

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:24 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My favourite has gone out at 63 *salutes* glad vaporeon made it that far :D

Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:54 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

NOO!!!!! Not Froslass! haha. A little late, but thanks for the top 100 visual aid. Keep up the good work.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

All my favorites are out on this update, oh well. 69 and 67 from all pokemon are great.

P.S. Charmander is my first time too.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:26 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

My favorite Pokemon hasn't been eliminated yet...I'm expecting him to be gone by next update. I love all of the Pokemon on your last update, especially Snorlax, Lapras, and Ludicolo. Oh and that Snorlax card is made of win, I wish I owned it.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sadly, my pokemon has been eliminated, but only just.

Sandshrew ranked very high, ILU sandshrew!

By the way, this thread is fantastic!

xox

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:10 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

That Lapras picture is random, LOL at the Vulpix picture(it looks like a baby vomiting) and that Snorlax card reminds me of fat basted(Austin Powers The spy who shaged me)(i do love it though).

Wow, i didn't expect some of those to come in this high. mabey around the rest of the cute ones, but not be given the status of "Pesudo-Uber Cute"

And concerning Charmander, that Squirtle is cute, it has a puff face, and is a turtle. penguins, turtals and monkeys are my favorite animals(pengiuns come first). squirtle was my first in FR though, so i think differently about it(RSE-mudkip, GSC-totodile, FRLG-squirtle, ......).

Can't wait for your top 60, and to people who know Frost, don't spoil this for the people who don't (like me) because we might like the suspense.

Even Though Your Fire Burns
It Rains Inside Me,
My Love For You Will Never Die
Please Come And Set Me Free.

The Amber Mine wrote:
hahahaha olo XD so funnzy

I hate myself...

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Starting with #51 of this update, we enter the top 10% at last! Also, starting with #59, we enter 10/10 range, which means the best of the best! YAY!

Update Title: "The Fire House," referring to #54.

60. Latias Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 382)
This entry will be a little repetitive since I already covered Latias' male counterpart, Latios, several updates ago. As I said already, I like the contrast between the two as a pair, how their relationship is symbolized with the colored markings on their chests, how they have a really cool typing with a good ability, how they have the exclusive Soul Dew hold item, and how they're a cool mixture of dragon and airplane-like designs. However, it also should be pretty obvious why I prefer Latias: she's the girl, and it should be clear by now that I dig the wimmenz Pokemon more. Overall, Latias just has a nicer design, with more expressive eyes and a red-and-white color scheme that has more contrast and cuteness than Latios' blue-and-gray. Like Latios, she was reminiscent of Lugia at first glance, but she was also easier to like because she is more distinctive from Lugia than Latios. Ironically, despite her similarities with Latios and Lugia, the awesome Latias and the trainwreck Blaziken were originally designed as one Pokemon who were split into two designs later in RS's development. For real:

On second thought, Empoleon and Barry have NOTHING on this thing.

Needless to say, I prefer them separate, especially because Latias became the first female Legendary. And while she does have some of that stereotypical "defensive female" thing going, she does have great Special Attack, so she's not totally predictable. I was also a Sapphire player, so I was thrilled to have her in MY game and, for the same reason, thought it sucked when she wasn't in SoulSilver, especially since roaming Pokemon were actually, y'know, EASY TO FIND in that game. In battle, the consensus is that Latias isn't as good as Latios, as seen from that strange period when Latias without Soul Dew was allowed in OU on Smogon. Latias' unique attack, Mist Ball, is also lame compared to Luster Purge, but at least it doesn't make her sound bulimic. Also unlike her brother, Latias has never appeared in the anime beyond the fifth movie, in which she had random shapeshifting powers and an apparent crush on Ash, as if he needed one more creepy fan pairing. Oh well, I'd take Latias in any form over this. Overall, Latias is cute, cool, strong and one of the best of Hoenn's numerous Legendaries.

59. Azelf Image
(Generation: IV; National Dex: 482)
Unlike its counterparts, Azelf was an immediate standout, both of its trio and Sinnoh's Pokemon as a whole. It was the closest Gen IV had to the typical "cute Psychic-type Legendary," since Manaphy and Shaymin aren't Psychic, and it has the best and cutest design of the Pixies, since it has adorable, expressive eyes unlike Uxie and doesn't have stupid "dreadlocks" like Mesprit. It's also easily the best one in battle, with the most useful stat distribution and movepool, and its glass cannon stat spread is definitely more aligned with my own tastes than the other two. Being both cute and powerful in battle, I really wanted to use Azelf but, since I like starting fresh with a Pokemon, R_R hacked and traded me the Azelf egg that actually began our friendship, and Azelf definitely gets some points for that. As part of its basis (see below), Azelf also represents human valor, and I love that it was quite appropriately connected to Ash in DP's anime. It's just a really cute, awesome Pokemon, and I so wish I got Azelf LV. X in my Legends Awakened booster box instead of Mewtwo and lame Rhyperior. ;(

Like Uxie and Brock, Azelf appearing to Ash was brilliant. Too bad Mesprit and Dawn can't say the same.

With Azelf's elimination, the Pixies are actually the LAST of the four Legendary Trios to be fully eliminated, but they're still only my third favorite set overall. Azelf just happens to be an awesome member of a mediocre trio. While they have an interesting concept based on the Imperial Regalia of Japan, an interconnected color scheme and a LOT more cuteness and personality than the Golems, Uxie and Mesprit's goofy design quirks and the trio's homogeneity ranks them behind the Birds and Beasts for me. I really hope BW's Legendary Trio is more distinctive.

58. Raichu Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 26)
Since its pre-evolution is the mascot of the entire series, Raichu is kind of a forgotten reject in comparison. I mean, it doesn't benefit from the Light Ball, even though it wouldn't be all that broken if it did. You couldn't get one in Pokemon Yellow, which was actually really disappointing to me as a kid, and it doesn't get any of its key moves, like Surf or Volt Tackle, without Pikachu. When I first got into Pokemon, some misinformation even had me believing that Raichu was Pikachu's brother, rather than its evolved upgrade, and, even in the anime, Raichu is typically portrayed as a giant asshole to create tension in battles against Ash's Pikachu, so you really gotta feel for the guy. Granted, I do think that Lt. Surge owning a Raichu who quickly evolved from Pikachu in the anime, along with the iconic battle between the two that ended with Ash's Pikachu's speed defeating Raichu's power, was quite brilliant for the show, and I actually always liked Raichu a lot because of its association with one of my favorite Gym Leaders. Less cool was the DP anime's note-by-note retread of "Electric Shock Showdown," however.

Thankfully, the anime has portrayed Raichu as a good guy on occasion, particularly in "Stage Fight!," which had a really cute, timid Raichu who was scared of its Trainer. I used Raichu on my in-game teams in Blue and LeafGreen, and it's always been one of my favorite Electric-types for its versatile design, including the cute floppy ears, awesome lightning bolt tail, and cool orange/black color scheme. For every moment of GRR ANGRY bully Raichu we've had, there's just as many adorable Raichu who deserve a hug or badass Raichu who could shoot electricity at any second, and Team Rocket's Dark Raichu was a memorable example of the latter, as the first of the TCG's ten zillion "secret cards." I also fondly remember Raichu being the reason for my only victory against darkmind on the GS bots. Granted, I only won because it was holding King's Rock and I had DISGUSTING luck with Thunder repeatedly paralyzing and flinching her Blissey, but it's a great memory nonetheless. Overall, its status as Pikachu's evolution is meaningless to me: Raichu is an awesome Pokemon who stands on its own strengths.

57. Phanpy Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 230)
Although originally apathetic about Donphan, I did like Phanpy at first sight. Granted, it didn't like it enough to bother catching one until Diamond and later Crystal, but I still thought a tiny baby elephant was absolutely adorable, and I liked that it was a powerhouse who could carry around adult humans despite its small stature, which is actually a pretty funny mental image. And, like I said before, the stupid switch of Teddiursa and Phanpy's families between the Japanese and English versions of GS kind of screwed me over too, but at least I used it when it appeared at the beginning of Crystal. Phanpy also got some screentime in the anime after Ash hatched one from an egg; while it was kind of lame that it only stuck around for about thirty episodes at first, at least it returned during Battle Frontier for some redemption and to evolve. Whether it plays with its snout to show affection, learns Water Gun as an egg move in GSC, or fans itself with its ears, Phanpy is a really lovable Pokemon (except Tomokazu's) who only gets cuter over time, even IF its best cards ~tragically~ didn't get English releases.

56. Teddiursa Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 216)
Even though I easily prefer Donphan over Ursaring, picking between Teddiursa and Phanpy was a much harder choice. In the end, I went with Teddiursa because I love baby bears and teddy bears are so universal; almost everybody, regardless of gender, had a teddy bear as a kid, and Teddiursa is just as cute and cuddly. Hell, just before Pokemon became "gay" in early 2000, I asked a school friend his favorite new Pokemon and he said, "I like the little bear." I first used Teddiursa when it was available in Crystal's Dark Cave, but it always has been likable. In addition to being very happy, it has lovely eyes, funny Mickey Mouse ears, and a cool crescent moon on its head, even though doesn't learn Moonlight nor have any other relation to the moon for some stupid reason. It's also adorable how it's always licking its honey-covered paws, and it had a great episode, "UnBEARable," in which it uses its cuteness to steal food and manipulate Misty (see below). HILARIOUS. Overall, Teddiursa is one of the cutest Pokemon ever and I wish I could get one in DP. Stupid lack of Wi-Fi and Pokemon Emerald. ;(

Cute Pokemon who are randomly evil are AWESOME. Unless it's Togepi.

55. Diglett Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 50)
Diglett is probably most notable for its debut episode "Dig Those Diglett!," in which it mainly hypnotized the viewing audience with its voice. Diglett's Cave is also awesome, since you can catch one just before fighting Surge, and I wish more Pokemon had their own special little "areas" like that. Although it's an oversimplified mole, and I'm glad BW is giving us something more authentic, Diglett is one of the cutest, easiest Pokemon to draw, and its resemblance to "Whack-a-Mole" even inspired a fun, though horrible, "Whack a Diglett" Java game that was hosted on the original Psypoke.com. Although the Pokedex makes it sound like a vampire who will die in sunlight, Diglett's obscured mole design has provided countless questions over the years, such as... how does it use Scratch? What does its body look like? And how does it compete in Hurdle Dash*? Regardless, with some really adorable cards, including this early favorite, Diglett is also one of the funniest Pokemon ever, and even evolves into a member of my "Dream Team." And since it's also in the Ground egg group, HDOWA beats HSOWA ANY DAY!

You said it, Magnemite.

* - spoilers: he burrows under the hurdle, which is hilarious.

54. Ponyta Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 77)
When I look at an awesome, creative concept like a horse who has a MANE OF FIRE, I feel like people really need to stop harping on Kanto Pokemon for being "unoriginal." The fire house* is a great idea with incredible coloring, and even the shiny version's blue mane looks cool, although I still fainted it in GS and DP. And while those Greek mythology-inspired flames "punch up" its design, Ponyta at its core still appeals to girls (and me): it's an adorable pony with big puppy-dog eyes and a gentle disposition, as seen in this early TCG favorite. Even its in-game cry rocks for evoking a carnival merry-go-round, which has horses! Like a lot of low-key Kanto Pokemon, Ponyta is also most famous for its debut episode "The Flame Pokemon-athon," in which it had a good showing but still needed to evolve to win a race. While it evolves much too late and it should learn Earthquake since its hooves are harder than DIAMOND, Ponyta is another special Pokemon to me because, like Diglett, it becomes a member of my "Dream Team" and I can still remember breeding one to send to Yellow with lol Double Kick.

* - refers to a funny typo I made for Ponyta's species in the Psydex in 2002.

53. Dratini Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 147)
Like Vulpix, Dratini's KFC plush made it one of the first Pokemon I saw. When I played the games, however, Dratini didn't enthrall me as much since it wasn't as cute in Blue and, although I TRIED using one many times, I always gave up until DP because it was too hard to train, including Crystal's epic Extremespeed Dratini. Like a lot of people, I was pretty confused about why it was a "Dragon," since it looked like a snake to me, but of course I was unaware that eastern dragons look more like this than Dragonite. Speaking of which, I was also completely baffled that Dratini could evolve straight into Dragonite in Pokemon Snap, and it was hard as hell getting a picture of Dratini in that game too. After RBY, I finally noticed Dratini's cuteness, with its timid, elusive personality (P.S.: FABULOUTH), those evocative eyes and those cute head wings, all of which were shown in "Miniryuu no Densetsu," which gets a requisite mention as the first banned episode. I'm also glad its betaname "Dragoon" was changed, as "Dratini" is sooo much cuter, and Dragon as a type needs all the cuteness Dratini can bring.

This card should have gotten an English release, srsly.

52. Quagsire Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 195)
Since I used Wooper a lot in GSC, I naturally have great fondness for Quagsire, although I did hate its English name when I was a disgusting weeaboo. Since I used to be a crazy person for Water Pokemon, it was new and exciting that Quagsire was actually immune to Electric. GASP!! Although not great in GSC, it was handy, and I'll always remember beating Red's Pikachu for the first time with my Level 49 Quagsire. Later gifts like Water Absorb and Physical Waterfall and Ice Punch helped it evolve into UU's version of Swampert, but it's still my favorite Water/Ground-type for cuteness and nostalgic moments like appearing in my first Neo booster. While a bit simple in design, it reminds me of Paper Mario's awesome Whacka, and it's infinitely more lovable than its real-life basis: the Japanese giant salamander. I also enjoy its friendly, laid-back personality, including how it welcomes us to Mt. Silver and how, according to the Pokedex, it keeps hitting its damn head while it swims, and it was really cute when it stole the GS Ball in "Once in a Blue Moon," too. Overall, Quagsire is a groundbreaking, awesome Pokemon.

Image + Image = Image
OMG NINTENDO IS RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!!!!

51. Breloom Image
(Generation: III; National Dex: 286)
Breloom is another rare Hoenn Pokemon that I loved immediately, partially because Psypoke's E4 always used to joke that it was "Amphy in Disguise" due to the resemblance in body shape and facial structure to Ampharos. I now prefer a more recent analogy that my friend made: it's "a Parasect that skips the sissy scratching and just PUNCHES DUDES." As a mushroom-based Pokemon with (admittedly painfully limited) access to Spore, Breloom is kind of the "Hoenn Parasect," but it's still a favorite because it goes in a very different direction, including the unique typing. While I wish it had a more fresh fighting style, since Hitmonchan already did boxing, TK always theorized that it was a mushroom/kangaroo hybrid, which does kind of work. The aptly-named "Peachie T." was on my first Sapphire team and later reappeared Diamond, and I love how Breloom kicks major ass, despite having only one great stat, thanks to Focus Punch, Spore and Poison Heal. As the second-cutest, coolest Fighting-type, Breloom is just an amazing Pokemon in general, although I do prefer RS's close-mouthed sprite over DP's.

Next update: eight Kanto and two Johto Pokemon are eliminated, so every Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon left makes the top forty.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Yeah, go Mew! You will always be the #1 legendary. Also Lickilicky MUST be eliminated it is a disgrace to Lickitung.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't have much liked pokemon here, but i'm going for Roserade and Altaria.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:16 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I couldn't be more happier about Frost's top 50. I think they're all cute and awesome pokemon. :)

Butterfree, Slowbro, Baroo, Mew, Lickilicky, Togekiss <3 I don't have any major dislikes about any of them.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sad to see ponyta go...but rapidash is better!

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

digglet is awesome i hope dugtrio makes it to the top 20

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:42 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

DEW-gong-gong-gong yeah baby can't wait to see what it got..... O.O

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:07 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Frost wrote:
Nonetheless, I really enjoy Moltres' design. If its wings were pure flame, that would be pretty cliche and boring. But as it stands, it's almost like the flames are Moltres' feathers, and the wings disintegrate into the fire, which looks VERY cool and majestic

I completely agree with this.

Frost wrote:
Armaldo's typing is a bit odd, though, because it's in the Water 3 egg group rather than the Bug one, and the Pokedex refers to the family as "shrimp."

While I doubt Nintendo thought of it this deeply, shrimp are apart of the same phylum as insects, arthropoda, but all "true" bugs have wings. Considering this, most bug types shouldn't be "bugs," but taking the term colloquially as they do, shrimp are the bugs of the sea, by appearance and genetic relation.

Frost wrote:
Unfortunately, Ledyba's Bug/Flying-type and stats are horrendous, and its Attack is particularly bad, meaning that all of Ledyba's cool little boxing glove hands are a waste.

I've always thought that pretentious or vestigial parts of a character's design to be rather cute, so long as it isn't too outrageous. I also like when those characters play a part contrary to one might think, such as a seemingly weak one turns out to be a powerhouse. o:

Frost wrote:
I really like the "hop, skip, jump" naming scheme of the family and how they illustrate how wind carries plant seeds to different places, and Jumpluff is easily the cutest member of its family, with its diminutive appearance that blends a dandelion with a cheerleader.

I know you don't like the Colosseum games, but Jumpluff has the cutest attack animation ever. :3 Iirc, he shakes his arms at his side, jumps up as he then rubs them together, and shakes them at his sides again, followed by ownage (sorta). :D

Post 1234

Last edited by DatVu on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Matt: yeah, I was referring to Jumpluff's 3D animations with my cheerleader comment. All of Colosseum's animations for the older Pokemon came directly from Stadium 2, which I do like. Thanks for the feedback!

This one is going to be a little long, since there are four extremely important Pokemon to me in this update, and three more important ones in general, so I apologize in advance. Also, there officially will be fewer Kanto Pokemon left than Johto ones at the end of the post, and the second type will be completely elimianted.

Update Title: "The Pokemon Messiah," referring to #43.

50. Koffing Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 109)
A living naval mine who eats garbage, on a very fundamental level, is not cute. Yet Koffing, who always has a smile and an upbeat attitude, even after getting its ass kicked, is proof that happiness makes anything cute. It was James' main Pokemon and easily more useful than Ekans due to Smokescreen, so it also got mad respect from me as a young James stan. The anime also claims that it was discovered in a public bath house, which is a hilarious mental image. In the games, it's from one of the best Poison-type lines thanks to its decent movepool and Ground-type immunity, although I mostly used it in GSC since Burned Tower came relatively early, and I even like Koffing's betaname "NY," a reference to New York, as I'm from the state. As the mascot of Azure Heights, Smogon and, my favorite, Dogasu's Backpack, Koffing is surprisingly popular in the fandom, and looking at my Smogon card makes me wish Psypoke were named after a foreign Pokemon name too. While Roserade squeaked ahead to take the crown for the Poison-type, I still love Koffing a lot. But who flipped its R/B sprite upside-down?

49. Psyduck Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 54)
Misty's Psyduck was an awesome addition to the show, and to see her constantly mistreat/abuse the little guy was disgusting. I always hoped that Psyduck would snap one day and murder the bitch with his mind, and he's honestly the only reason I miss Misty being on the show. He was really cute, having a WAY better dub voice than the original's, and he never failed to provide light-hearted moments. Yet, when he got a headache... you knew shit was about to go down. Speaking of that, it's odd how a Pokemon who receives such emphasis for its psychic power, and even has "PSY" in its name, is a pure Water-type. And for being named "-DUCK," it more resembles a platypus due to the claws, tail, bill shape and inability to fly. It also has one of my favorite cards EVER, and I always wanted Stadium's Amnesia Psyduck but it was too hard to obtain. And as DP's "roadblock Pokemon," Psyduck is one of the few Pokemon to appear in EVERY region, and I'll be sad to see it absent in Isshu. Finally, as well as being half of our mascot, it was the favorite Pokemon of somebody who was special to me...

48. Lanturn Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 171)
Since Water used to be my favorite type, Lanturn was a lot like Quagsire in that I had to use one for its new and exciting type combo. But Lanturn was even better, since Rain Dance gave it two great STAB moves and Ice Beam handled anything that resisted them. Lanturn's combination of type, Volt Absorb ability, and great movepool make it the rare Pokemon who actually overcomes its mediocre stats. Like Quagsire, I used Lanturn on my very first Silver file, with the two being the team's only Johto Pokemon, and neither let me down. Since GS, I've used Lanturn on the GSbot and Netbattle, as well as in RS and Diamond, so it's definitely a favorite. I also like that, despite a hideous real-life basis that provides its brilliant dual typing, Lanturn is cute as a button with the most lovable red eyes in the world. The Pokedex claims it swallows pray whole, but can you really imagine that face doing that? I certainly can't. In addition to being an in-game favorite of both myself and my old BFF back in the day, Lanturn has an adorable anime voice and several lovable TCG pictures, so it's just a great Pokemon all-around.

47. Flareon Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 136)
Although many of them have glaring faults, Flareon takes the title of "worst Eeveelution" by a landslide. And, honestly, watching Flareon's progression over the years, you have start to think that GameFreak just hates the thing, even moreso than Farfetch'd. First, it's the Fire-type Eeveelution, which is a terrible type in general thanks to GameFreak's own doing. And Flareon's highest base stat is Attack despite only learning Hyper Beam and Dig in RBY. Granted, GSC was a bit kinder, since it picked up Shadow Ball and Hidden Power to become halfway decent. But, in RSE, Flash Fire was SO inferior to Volt and Water Absorb, and DP's movesplit wrecked the small amount of momentum that Flareon had acquired over the years. After losing Physical Hidden Power and Shadow Ball, Flareon is EASILY at its weakest in DP, as its best STAB move is the joke known as Fire Fang. GameFreak wasn't satisfied, though, and kicked more sand in Flareon's face in Platinum, when they gave it... Lava Plume. Not the Flare Blitz that it so desperately needed. Lava Plume. Did Flareon eat a staff member's child or something?

Despite the horrible movepool and awful stat distribution, Flareon has been my favorite Eeveelution from the beginning. Since Vaporeon was scaly and Jolteon was spiky, I evolved my first Eevee into Flareon since it was the fluffiest, cutest and most huggable choice of the three. From there, I had a Flareon named Joey in GSC, which was named after my late Siamese cat due to Flareon's strange fox/dog/cat hybrid design and, in my DP Eeveelution team, in which the members were named after Psypoke's admins, my Flareon was named... Mikey, naturally, since it's my favorite Eeveelution. I still think Flareon is the best Eeveelution design to this day because it rocks the cuteness with an adorable face and a fluffy collar, but it can also look badass and has awesome colors that imply its typing without lamely slapping fire somewhere on its body like a lot of others. Even my favorite anime character, Jessie, wanted to turn Eevee into Flareon in that one episode before humorously "evolving into a Flareon" herself. Flareon is even so awesome that I can block its association with this.

46. Dugtrio Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 51)
People tend to complain about the unoriginality of Dugtrio's design, but it's never bothered me because it's Diglett with three times the awesome. My problem is how Dugtrio is usually angry and, although this led to one of the funniest cards ever, I much prefer its cuter, gentler moments and wish it had more of them. Dugtrio is still a personal favorite for being on my "dream team," comprised of six neglected Kanto Pokemon. As the team's only Physical member, I championed Dugtrio because GSC's Special split and new Critical Hit ratio left it as one of the worst Ground-types. I bred "Zebra," named after Dugtrio's noses that resemble the tomato, to have Earthquake, Slash, Rock Slide and Screech and sent it to Yellow, in which it was very useful. Since GSC, however, Dugtrio's status rebounded as a revenge killer due to the additions of its Arena Trap ability and Choice Band, so it's nice to see an old sentimental favorite become useful again, and I've used it on serious teams in both RS and DP. Although I'm not wild about its anger or its surprise rapings inside Diglett's Cave, Dugtrio is my favorite Ground-type for its cuteness and charm. And, like Diglett, it's known for its funny, memorable anime voice and discussions about what its body looks like underneath the ground. Spoilers:

OMGGG DUGTRIO IS THOOOO THUPER~

45. Magneton Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 82)
Like Dugtrio, Magneton's design receives a lot of criticism, yet I like it more since it has an explanation: three Magnemite bind together with magnetism. Done. Does every evolution need to be a drastic transformation? Also, thank GOD GameFreak wasn't stupid and added Steel to Magneton's type, giving it the most resistant dual typing yet. Magneton was also on my "dream team" because, like most Kanto Pokemon with good Defense and Special, its Special Defense was ruined in the Special split. "Spotty," named after the sunspots mentioned in its Pokedex entries, got no egg moves and wasn't even useful when sent back to RBY, but I still loved it as a great companion for Dugtrio and a natural fit for my team as then-worst Electric-type. And, like Dugtrio, Magneton's new Magnet Pull ability, which made it Skarmory's worst nightmare, gave it second life in RS until Magnezone's entrance in DP snatched it away. Magneton's personal relevance from being on my MAIN team is why I simply refused to evolve it into that UFO eyesore out of protest, and I'll take unoriginal over hideous ANYTIME. I also prefer Magneton over its exceptionally bland betaname "Recoil," and Fossil Magneton is special as the last card I got from the first four TCG sets. Finally, a nitpick about Magneton (and also Dugtrio)...

Pokemon
Raping common sense and grade-school math since 1996.

44. Porygon Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 137)
God, this thing is so completely and utterly forgettable.

...Not. To this day, Porygon is THE most infamous Pokemon. On December 16, 1997, it debuted in its only major anime appearance: "Dennou Senshi Porygon." While it's my favorite "banned episode" and wonderfully showcased the titular Pokemon and how it functions in cyberspace, episode #38 became historic after 685 Japanese children had seizures upon viewing the above animation, which triggered when Pikachu blew up an anti-virus missile. While nobody died, the story gave the series its first exposure to America, even being parodied on The Simpsons, and, with new guidelines set to prevent a reoccurrence, Japan did what it does best: pretend "Pokemon Shock" never happened, with the episode being regarded as an "illusion" and Porygon, as the biggest reminder of the incident, being unofficially banned. What fascinates me is that the rest of the franchise has done anything but this. The Pokemon continues to appear in the games, even in one BASED ON the show, and has received two evolutions and several trading cards, making the anime's "ban" look understandable, but a bit silly.

Looking beyond the elephant in the room for a second, I've always liked Porygon. Sure, it really sucked in Gen I and, even when sold at a discount in Blue, it was a bitch to acquire. But the idea itself - a man-made, virtual Pokemon that resembles a primitive 3D origami crane - was timely and cool. Porygon's design just screams the mid-90's, especially how it looks like it got thrown from a mountain and eroded the whole way down in its R/B sprite. And since I didn't learn about Pokemon Shock until awhile later, I was drawn to Porygon because it had become a black sheep for the seizures it didn't even cause. Rocket Porygon was one my favorite cards back in the day, and it was such a lovable little guy when fed apples in Snap that the species won me over fast. Over the years, Porygon has somehow become the only Pokemon to gain two evolutions, three exclusive moves and two awesome, near-exclusive abilities in Download and Trace. It's such a great Pokemon that, even in GSC, I would use Porygon 1 and 2, giving both nicknames that reference Pokemon Shock. It is definitely one of my favorites.

43. Caterpie Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 10)
Once upon a time, Frost had finally given into peer pressure. At 7 AM on a fateful Wednesday morning in early 1999, he turned on his TV to WB 11 to watch his first episode of Pokemon. Although he had missed the title card and the event in question, he found out the episode was named "Ash Catches a Pokemon," referring specifically to Caterpie. Immediately, Frost wondered why the girl named Misty was acting like such as massive thundercunt; he doesn't like bugs either, but who the HELL is afraid of CATERPILLARS? Regardless, Caterpie and Pikachu proceeded to have a cute scene, talking to each other in the moonlight, with Pikachu consoling his new friend after he'd expressed his desire to become a butterfly before glancing at the sleeping Misty and becoming noticeably upset. A few moments later, Frost's hair stood on end after a visibly PISSED OFF Pikachu shouted its name angrily and let loose a Thundershock to protect his weaker friend from a wild Pidgeotto. Soon, Team Rocket entered the scene and incapacitated Pidgeotto and Pikachu. With no other choice, Ash sent in Caterpie to fight Meowth, Ekans and Koffing. Despite facing incredible odds, Caterpie took all three down ON ITS OWN with String Shot. As Misty was about to make peace with Caterpie for saving the day, it evolved into Metapod, and Frost has been a fan of Pokemon ever since.

Stop hogging the true star's spotlight, Ash.

Eleven years later, my opinion remains the same: Caterpie is the star of "Ash Catches a Pokemon." Its underdog story is handled extremely well and the Pokemon's lovable and hopeful personality still strikes a chord with me. The episode also ended with Caterpie's evolution, which was the reason why I kept watching the anime, as the humans were not interesting at that point. Naturally, when I started playing Blue, I had a Caterpie on my team, beginning a tradition of using one in ANY game it appears. I can still remember grinding them in Viridian Forest in both RBY and FRLG, breeding ones from the Bug Contest in GS, and transferring six of them to Diamond through Pal Park. While it sucks in battle and only gets two moves (although it has Bug Bite now too - HELLS YEAH!), Caterpie never disappointed me and remains a vital reason why I champion Pokemon for reasons other than battle worth. Yeah, I know it's weird to see Caterpie at #43/512, but from its cute design, to its adorable "rurrr?" voice, to its lovely TCG artwork, it pains me to see such a personally relevant Pokemon receive so much hatred. So if you like Psypoke, but hate Caterpie or other Pokemon for being "weak," I'd like to remind you that this "weak" Pokemon is the single biggest reason WHY I am a Pokemon fan and, therefore, helped start this site. Caterpie deserves nothing but love.

42. Tangela Image
(Generation: I; National Dex: 114)
As the third member of the "dream team" in this update, I've been a fan of Tangela since day one because it wasn't Grass/Poison, unlike half of RBY's final Grass evolutions. I added Tangela to my team, however, because it was the biggest victim of GSC's Special Split, with its Special Defense plummeting from 298 to 178 in a move that still blows my mind. Before I sent "Vines" (and I could have sworn he had a better nickname...) to Yellow, I performed a crazy five-step breeding chain to get Amnesia from Slowpoke to Tangela, but it was worth the effort. Tangela DESTROYED Pokemon Stadium, despite the announcer rhyming its name with "Angela" like a dumbass, and I very nearly beat TK with the same set in an RBY battle as well. Also, in another Gen I facepalm moment, Tangela couldn't learn Vine Whip until Yellow. DERP. Unfortunately, in GSC and RSE, my attempts to use Tangela fell flat, so I was definitely happy when DP came along, even if IT WASN'T IN A GEN IV TITLE until Platinum, despite a certain site claiming that it swarmed on Mt. Coronet's SNOWY SUMMIT. Although it's a tentacle rape hentai artist's wet dream, I love Tangela's perfectly appealing dose of goofy charm, from the googly eyes and funny red shoes to the tumbleweed resemblance and being Jynx's fabulouth hairstylist. It's great.

41. Totodile Image
(Generation: II; National Dex: 158)
I first picked Totodile after GS had been released in English, and it was the last Johto Starter that I used; it originally seemed the least interesting and useful of the three, evolving the latest and being outclassed by other Water-types in battle and the other Starters in personality. However, although losing interest in the anime at the time, I did see the debut episode of Ash's Totodile, and it went a long way in boosting my opinion: Ash's Totodile is a really cute and happy little guy who always has a smile on his face and dances whenever he gets sent into battles. He also has one of the funniest voices of the series, even though it sounds more like a duck than a crocodile, and I always imitate its "totototototo... DIIILE" cry whenever the chat gets too quiet. Unfortunately, Ash's Totodile was the reject of his Johto team and his Water-types in general, save Kingler, because it pretty one-note and never evolved. Still, when I picked Totodile in my 2004 Silver run, I liked it a whole lot more, and it's a much more viable choice in HGSS thanks to Gen IV's move split. Out of the five Water Starters, Totodile lands dead center for me, but it's actually really cute and its design has a LOT more character than other reptilian Pokemon, so I hereby declare Totodile OFFICIALLY JAWESOME!

ImageImageImage
Totototototo... DIIIIIIIILE!!!!

Next update: 3 Kanto, 4 Johto, 2 Hoenn, 1 Sinnoh.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:07 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

a dancing pokemon always ranks high in my opinion...

current party in HG:

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

who would've known that such a small and insignificant pokemon such as caterpie would help make this site?? my first episode of pokemon was the one where metapod fought pinsir. EPICNESS!!!

i've always thought it sad how porygon got scapegoated for the seizures... i mean, seizures are a big deal and all, but still... ah, well.

Totodile was my first of the Johto starters. when i got crystal, i was still pretty young, so i usually picked either a) water types (my fave type because of blastoise) or b) blue pokemon. so, totodile it was!! well, if he had evolved, he might've become a GRRANGRY Feraligatr, so maybe it saved the little guy on your rankings.

that's one thing that i like about this: it makes us examine our own opinions, and along the way, fond memories. so, thanks Frost!! :mrgreen:

Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next