It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Ol' School Pokemon Speedrun Contest! 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Alright, here's the deal. At my work, I was asked to participate in an old school (strictly red and blue) pokemon contest. Here's the idea:

-Start from the begining (sometime soon after your first rival battle) and play for 2 hours straight, none-stop.
-After those two hours are up, all participants will then take the pokemon they have accumulated and pin them up against each-other in an epic tournement via Pokemon Stadium (1 or two but probably 1 to keep it fair)
-NO cheats or glitches (ex: game sharks, jumping to early cinnabar, hacking for levels or pokemon (Ex: the mew glitch)

So, the whole challenge is how the different people will handle the early game. Do you go for getting a team of six and training it? Do you go for a certain location for pokemon? Lean on your starter/ another early pokemon? Rock... normal... grass, bug types? It's all about time management, and you ONLY have 2 hours.

So, does anyone have any good ideas? Good strategies or anything? Certain early-pokemon I might want to make a rush for or maybe a certain starter I would like to bulk up? Maybe an ideal, well rounded team that I could just as fast train as I could catch?

I'm doing alot of research for my own as well, but I knew there was no place like my old home to find the best answers.

PS: Pass the word about this topic. Not alot of people serf the old thread.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I would go with {charmander} {mankey} {pidgey} and one of the nido's. That way you have good type distribution.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The problem with your theory is that he's talking about R/B, not Yellow where Mankey is available...

As to what team would be best, it depends on how you like building your team, because that will change how you allot your time.

Should you choose to catch one or two and raise them like crazy, you could be all the way through Mt. Moon in two hours if you were careful. "Guessing" that, I would do something like starter, Pidgey, Geodude, Pikachu, Caterpie (hopefully Butterfree)/Weedle (Beedrill), [if you get far enough] Kadabra (who would be your "training" Poke...).

If you're going for balanced, and won't get too much leveling up done, barely getting past Brock in two hours (or not at all) than type advantage will become more important. A list of early-game Pokemon and my rating of them (1 being best for a speed run, to 3 being worst):

Bulbasaur (1)
Charmander (2)
Squirtle (2)
Caterpie (2)
Weedle (2)
Pidgey (2)
Rattata (3)
Spearow (1)
Ekans (2)
Pikachu (1)
Sandshrew (1)
Nidoran F/M (1)
Clefairy (1)
Jigglypuff (2)
Zubat (3)
Oddish (2)
Paras (2)
Abra (1) -especially evolved
Bellsprout (2)
Geodude (1)
Magikarp (3, unless evolved, but I wouldn't waste the money unless you know you can get it Lv. 20+)

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

AEP: Master Trainer wrote:
The problem with your theory is that he's talking about R/B, not Yellow where Mankey is available...

Mankey is available in Red just not Blue.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:

Mankey is available in Red just not Blue.

Sadly, I do have new developments on this front. It turns out, I have been assigned a "Blue" cartridge for the tournement. So, although you are right, Mankey is not the best decission. Why do people think I will abrely beat mount moon in 2 hours? My goal is to beat Misty by the end of that 2 hours.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That's a good goal. Well what do you have so far planned for your party?

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have gotten ahold of the cartridge, and have done three "mini runs" of 30 minutes to see where I am at. I have SEVERELY underestimated the time it takes to train Pokemon.

My team has basically stood at:

Bulbisaur
Pidgy
Caterpie-Metapod-Butterfree
Pikachu
Weedle-Kakuna

And that is it. I'm finding it difficult to reack Bulbisaur to level 14 (vine wip) before Brock. After continuing onward (against my own rules) I got it RIGHT after defeating Brock. Vine wip would have made everything MUCH easier. Now, for all the trainers after. Pikachu proves useful, but without a second move, it is futile. I'm begining to get worried, and I have yet to reach the rock cave. Now... to CONCENTRATE on getting a great team (or the same team) faster. Maybe within the 20 minute mark? Or beat Brock within the 30 minutes. Whichever comes or goes, I can live with either.

Potions and Antidotes become incredibly helpful. That's all I got for now. Alot of time is eaten up for the Prof Oak package dilevery, but since you can abttle and train durrying that time, it still counts. NO!!!!

PS: Sorry for the spelling errors. Opps.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The two bug types are unnecessary go with butterfree. I also suggest getting a water type.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:
The two bug types are unnecessary go with butterfree. I also suggest getting a water type.

Do you mean starting with Squirtle? Or do you think there's a place where water types can be found easily?

The Garados idea was really good, such a pokemon early on could mean the difference of victory and defeat. Problem is, at the moment I do not think I have the skill or speed to train up a deffensless pokemon to level 20 while keeping my team in line. Hmm... very interesting. With a grass and bug... it might work. I can also train up Pikachu... let me see what training opertunities are in Mt Moon and it might be enough that I can ride on Bulbasaur to train up such a poke to level 20. Hmm..... but that would HAVE to be my strategy.

Very different, now.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well with your bulbasaur you should be able to easily train up magikarp

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:
Well with your bulbasaur you should be able to easily train up magikarp

Maybe so, ut that takes time away from training up an Abra. Remember, all the other participants will be doing the same thing, thinking of the same strategies. So... what can they get that can seriously challenge a level 20-21 Garados and 21-23 Ivisaur. What about an Abra/Kadabra? Is it possible to get to both? Hmm... I'm gonna do some research.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:05 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

It might be possible if you are past MT. moon

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:27 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

remember, once you are past Mt Moon, you cannot go back. I must be fully ready to beat Misty/ have trained up Pokemon/ Evolved Magikarp before I continue on. What I have noticed is not everyone in Mt Moon as rock types (not cool) so It's harder then I expected to just "blow through" them all.

But, if I can get a 20+ team of three, THEN start moving through Mt Moon (hitting Rare Candies and Potions wherever I can) then I think I might be able to pull it off. Abra is another story, and I'll have to get to him later. Abra's another dead-weight unless I can get him to learn some good moves, and FAST! Do we get any TMs that Abra can learn that early in the game?

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:39 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

None of the TM's available early game would suit it it's between water gun (which it can't learn) and mega punch......

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:59 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:
None of the TM's available early game would suit it it's between water gun (which it can't learn) and mega punch......

Mega punch woul work, but I have worse news. On my speedrun today, I beat Brock by 34 minutes, yes. Reached Mt Moon soon after. Saved. It took me an hour and 45 minutes to beat Mt Moon. I thought the Ivisaur would be instant win... but I underestimated the power of the evil Rocket Ratticate and the annoyance of every Zubat (Which I chose to fight EVERYTHING and EVERYONE I came across, keeping in mind I am TRAINING so I can win). I realized Ivisaur must be 17-18, Butterfree is GOD at 13-14, Magikarp got up to 14, and Pikachu was USELESS!!

I also had Beedrill (who was kinda a failure. He's still at level 10 (so training up Beedrill is a "No", Butterfree's Confusion is AWSOME) and Pidgy was helpful only at slightly higher levels (starting at 15). So, I need to find a way to super-train this team before (or durrying) my delve into Mt Moon.

Ivisaur- level 16-18
Pidgey- Level 13-15
Butterfree- 13-15
Magikarp- 14-15 (unrealistic goal for before-entering of Mt Moon, since I'll buy him just before)
Pikachu- 13-14 (only useful against the level 17 Ratticate. Maybe a bgoal of 15-17 is more like it, but it takes away from the other Pokes)

It's time to ask the question- Should I use a Pidgey, or a Sparrow?
And ask- Should I make a run for a level7-10 Abra for a hope of evolving him at 15-17? Or should I go the Garados route?

Garados would do amazing against any evolved Charmanders used in the compitition, and any rock types aquired. Ivisaur is a strong contender against water and normal types, and an evolved Pidgey would do well against bug and normals as well. Pickachu is pure electric (for some reason, both run-throughs I've done thus far have yeilded thundershock as his only move) so a high leveled pickachu might be my only option?? Let's see...

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I would suggest a spearow only because it learns it's STAB moves quicker not to mention you start off with a STAB in peck. It takes pidgey a really long time to learn any valuable STAB if im correct not until lvl 22

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:39 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Ok, today I come with a new problem. At work, the contestants were discussing different things and different strategies. The guy who's running it all had a new development: He got all the way to Vermillion in an hour 55 minutes. He went on the one-tank-Poke strategy, and it is workin. He got up to a level 39 Charizard and 38 Warturtle (using the Mega Punch move as his for-runner). So, that's his strategy, and he's worried it's too over-powered (which it is). He said Bulbasaur (not learning megapunch) can't make it through Mt Moon in 1 run alone, it doesn't have enough PP in any of its attack moves.

So... no one thought of the Garados rush, but with a tank Poke like that, it doesn't exactly seem to work. I might try your Sparrow Idea, it is a good choice, but the Pidgey is faster, and that speed is a good idea. PS: STAB move? You mean Peck? Or.... what? Pidgey learns Quick Attack early.

Also, we severely underestimated the power of the Ratata. I'll tell you what, it's speed is BEAST! That ratticate is EPIC in Mt Moon, and with Hyper Fang? It can take on alot of pokes. Plus, I high leveled Zubat could be quite a pest with Supersonic and a few other moves. I'm thinking a few more run-throughs could be helpful, and a smaller group of Pokes is a MUST!

So, I've decided that maybe I should go with the following team:

Bulbasaur- Despite all the nah-sayers, I still think having this grass type is a pivital in my Garados Plan.

Magikarp- the Garados can learn tackle, bite, and water gun (TM) early, and the water/flying makes it awsome against rock and ground types.

Pidgey/Sparrow- Pidgey has been good to me so far. I might try your Sparrow plan though.

Butterfree- Confusion is EPIC!!! I was really suprised. Let's see how this goes.

So, what do you think? A team of types pinned up against a tank? Or should I try the Tank-challenge on my own??

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

That seems like a good idea, if merely for the fact that Gyarados is powerful if you can get it. If you have an Ivysaur, it will be really good against most early game Pokes. I would definitely keep Butterfree till it learns Confusion (because that makes it automatically better). As to Spearow, Flying STAB, which will help with early-game Pokes (Bug, Grass, Fighting [not too many of those early]). Rattata's Speed is its best asset, and Raticate can be good, but it's weaker than some option (starters, Gyarados, Fearow for Flying STAB). Of the two Bugs, Butterfree is much more useful. Pikachu gets Quick Attack near 20 I think... I didn't realize it was so bad in RB, but I've never tried this method of training.

As to the one-tank strategy, you have to go with the best type. Seeing as Dragons aren't available anywhere near where you'll end up, and Steels weren't made yet, look up typing, and see what early-game Poke matches that type that you can take advantage of the best. It will have to be set up to counter every possible thing that will be thrown at you, so good luck...

I'm just glad I'm not trying it. Hard enough for me to set a goal when I'm not in a hurry...

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

[color=#00FF00]As to the one-tank strategy, you have to go with the best type. Seeing as Dragons aren't available anywhere near where you'll end up, and Steels weren't made yet, look up typing, and see what early-game Poke matches that type that you can take advantage of the best. It will have to be set up to counter every possible thing that will be thrown at you, so good luck...
color]

That tank would HAVE to be Squirtle. Squirtle and Charmander can learn Mega Punch (the TM) early, and are therefor good enough against their counter-types at these higher levels. Pin a Squirtle tank against a Charmander tank and you got Squirtle being able to use it's higher-leveled water moves (at the LEAST water gun TM). So, if the Tank method were to be used, it would have to most deffinatley be, Squirtle.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The tank is a good idea, but will that one tank be able to stand up to a barrage of other pokemon. A strategy I went with once was

Squirtle
Fearow
Butterfree
Mankey
I used those 4 and get them up really high lvl'd but for you mankey isn't available so may I suggest a nido-royal

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:54 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dark_Swampert wrote:
may I suggest a nido-royal

I, personally, am not a fan of the Nidos. What exactly do they have to offer besides looking cool? The only real use I can see comes in towards late-game power moves. That's just my personal opinion.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

comedianmasta wrote:
[color=#00FF00]As to the one-tank strategy, you have to go with the best type. Seeing as Dragons aren't available anywhere near where you'll end up, and Steels weren't made yet, look up typing, and see what early-game Poke matches that type that you can take advantage of the best. It will have to be set up to counter every possible thing that will be thrown at you, so good luck...
color]

That tank would HAVE to be Squirtle. Squirtle and Charmander can learn Mega Punch (the TM) early, and are therefor good enough against their counter-types at these higher levels. Pin a Squirtle tank against a Charmander tank and you got Squirtle being able to use it's higher-leveled water moves (at the LEAST water gun TM). So, if the Tank method were to be used, it would have to most deffinatley be, Squirtle.

Maybe a Squirtle tank with bubble beam and a pidgeotto and see if you can get both evovled?

a 1 tank would beat a 5 man team that is 10 levels lower unless he gets some serious hack...

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXrBljDHDo&feature=related

This is kinda of interesting, the guy beat the entire pokemon red in 2:09. He saved periodically in parts of places like mount moon and reset if he encountered any wild pokemon so he could do it as fast as possible, which sounds like it would be pretty annoying.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:11 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If it were me in this contest I could maybe have a working meowth maybe, sandshrew maybe even sandslash but I doubt it sandshrew evolves lv. 22 Wartortle, pikachu and bellsprout maybe Weepinbell I forget what level it evolves Is What I'd try to do you could probably have a Nidoking if you really tried also would work well as an alternative to Sandslash or you could just keep it a nidorino but that is all of my ideas. the last time I played I had a meowth and Sandshrew by the 2hr mark

If i were to try this My pokeman may be 15-20 at the end of two hrs and I'd be likely to have 4 or 5 If i'm feeling risky early I may have a 6th in raticate. I'm out of ideas

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]