It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Laptops 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Hello,

I have searched for a place to put this topic and this seems to be the most fitting forum so here it is. I am shopping for a new computor, a Labtop to be specific, not a netbook though. I asked people that I see on a regular basis about which brand they think is the best, and the answers I got were very different.

So I thought I would ask the Psypoke community about which computor brand they think is the best. My Labtop would be used for school (High School) and for general web-browsing use.

Anyway, which brand do you believe to be sturdy?

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:05 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Acer, that's what i believe. I have just bought my notebook 3 months ago, so i don't really know about it. But my notebook is Acer Aspire 4740G, it's not really bad because it already have Intel Core i5 and NVIDIA GeForce inside it. However, if you did choose this notebook, you should mind about it weight. Because i'm always bring my notebook to my school, my bag was considered as the heaviest bag in my class.

So, it's up to you, really. If you think something is good, so be it.

P.S. There is a pun in my country about Acer. Acer was an abbreviation of "Beware, easily broken" in my language.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 am
The Geek
The Geek

If you want a quality notebook, buy Asus - they're worth the relatively high price tag. I'm a Toshiba user myself when it comes to laptops, and HP has had some really good ones recently, so long as you clean off all the crap software they ship them with. Sony also makes some quality ones.

If you want a notebook with no regards to quality, Dell and Acer are dirt cheap and you get what you pay for; utter crap. Also, anything labeled as a "gaming laptop" is a complete waste of money, and any computer that uses a Celeron processor is nothing more than idiot bait.

Weigh the options of performance vs. battery life. If you want it to be quick and efficient and don't mind having to plug it in more often, get something with an Intel i5 processor. If you'd rather be able to be on the go without a power brick for several hours and don't mind not having as much multitasking capabilities, an i3 will suffice just fine. AMD has comparable processors, but I don't see as much strength in their mobile lineups compared to Intel's. They're more competitive on the desktop side of things in my opinion.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I appreciate your opinions, I'm sure it will help me out.

Right now I am aswell using a Toshiba Labtop and it crashes ALL the time. I'm not sure if it is a manufacturing error, the operating system, or just a plain bad computor. I went through many routes to improve it but nothing has made a huge difference. Which is why I am getting a new one.

I heard HP had some nice computors, Asus had what seemed to me to be a very solid Labtop line up.

I have had my go with an i3 and I didn't like it much. i5 sounds much more appealing so I will most likely go for i5.

Which operating system do you prefer? Windows 7 or Windows Vista? I personally know Vista is quite easy to hack onto in my opinion. I tried to hack onto my computor from a different one to try out the security, it was quite easy.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I have an HP Pavilion that I bought last year with my tax refund, it's pretty awesome. Despite all the abuse its suffered from me, it still works great. Like Jiggz said though, cleaning out all the garbage software that comes loaded on it is kind of a pain.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My dad bought me an acer last year for school, but it keeps breaking/crashing and generally malfunctioning, it wasn't terribly expensive, but it has spent more time at the acer HQ than here. I'd have to agree with what Jigglypuff said, and especially, don't buy acer.

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:32 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah I've heard Acer is pretty bad. I had one for like a week then returned it for a Toshiba. Which wasn't much better.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:32 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

DarkTrainer13 wrote:
Acer, that's what i believe. I have just bought my notebook 3 months ago, so i don't really know about it. But my notebook is Acer Aspire 4740G, it's not really bad because it already have Intel Core i5 and NVIDIA GeForce inside it. However, if you did choose this notebook, you should mind about it weight. Because i'm always bring my notebook to my school, my bag was considered as the heaviest bag in my class.

So, it's up to you, really. If you think something is good, so be it.

P.S. There is a pun in my country about Acer. Acer was an abbreviation of "Beware, easily broken" in my language.

Thanks for sharing.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:16 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I very recently got the Acer Aspire One D260. It's a Netbook though and not a laptop. But i think you should seriously consider a Netbook if you want it for internet browsing and Work because i got mine with Windows 7 and Microsoft office 2007...And about the weight, it's nothing compared to a Laptop. They are also much easier to carry around and take about with you. But that's just my preference.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

InstantBacon wrote:
My dad bought me an acer last year for school, but it keeps breaking/crashing and generally malfunctioning, it wasn't terribly expensive, but it has spent more time at the acer HQ than here. I'd have to agree with what Jigglypuff said, and especially, don't buy acer.

I disagree with this, I just bought one in march by the advise of a computer expert at my mom's work.
He said for your information that HP which is my old laptop that is four years old now and has always worked beautifully with no serious problems, has declined in their quality and pretty much sucks now.
I picked out several laptops from the Best Buy website and had my mom take printouts to work for this computer expert and he picked out the Acer as the best choice. Thus far it has served me beautifully and I keep nor download anything on it except AIM, Firefox, word and Photoshop, the essentials. All my files are kept on the flash disc with which I removed them from the old laptop.
I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Threatfire on it both also this guy's doing.

I also advise Windows 7 over Vista; I have no experiece with vista except feedbacks I have heard/read. And all say it sucks, apparently it's very incompatible and thus difficult to put things on. Although I think this is mostly if you enjoy PC games which require installation. Windows 7 is pretty much the improvement of Vista and I absolutely love it, my old laptop had XP(I bought it in '06).

Wireless Brain: The only problem with netbooks from my information is that internet use is ALL they are good for. They can not run much else, so if this person needs to do quite a bit more than the internet on their computer than a netbook is not the way to go. I learned this when searching for my new laptop earlier this year and considering a netbook myself(although I was not aware until the guy at my mom's work said so that it was a netbook I had been looking at, to me it was just nice and small which was what I wanted but barely got lol).

Good Luck.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:57 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Vista is decent for the average computer user: i.e., someone who just needs it to do work and/or surf the web. I use it, and it works great for me; however, the couple of games i do play (spore and empire at war) don't really run that great (however, i'd attribute that more to the computer itself rather than the OS it runs). and anyone who has a choice will choose windows 7 because it was designed to fix the flaws in XP and Vista. So that's not a shocker, tbh RedRum.

as far as Acer goes, i've never had one, but i've always heard it was absolute ****. maybe you have an exceptional model or something??

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:54 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

rex09 wrote:
Vista is decent for the average computer user: i.e., someone who just needs it to do work and/or surf the web. I use it, and it works great for me; however, the couple of games i do play (spore and empire at war) don't really run that great (however, i'd attribute that more to the computer itself rather than the OS it runs). and anyone who has a choice will choose windows 7 because it was designed to fix the flaws in XP and Vista. So that's not a shocker, tbh RedRum.

as far as Acer goes, i've never had one, but i've always heard it was absolute ****. maybe you have an exceptional model or something??

Well seeing as this acer is still new I suppose I can not judge right now. I am still quite used to telling people in such topics as this how beautiful my HP baby is for it's old age. Now that is pretty void seeing as it's slow, Firefox crashes all the time and the space bar is broken from me trying to get it unstuck about thrice. It still runs beautifully but once I got a taste of this laptop I sadly realized how poor it's speed really is.

I suppose it can have it's flaws as any machine does, but I would not withhold a recommendation for the Acer. Just that you don't use Acer Arcade Deluxe as a DVD player, that part I will give you is total ****.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]