Out of curiosity, I'm making a list of controversial subjects; I want to respond to them the best I can and see if/how my opinions change with time/in the future.
I thought of a few themes, but I need suggestions, if you guys have any.
Note: this thread is not supposed to be a discussion of such topics
; I just want suggestions to make a bigger list.
Here's what I thought, so far:
- Use and abuse of illegal drugs and recreational drugs, how it affects society, should they be legalized or not, how strong is their relation to violence
- Use and abuse of cigarettes and alcohol; how far can we go
- Abortion: for or against it; what are the repercussions, both mentally, spiritually and socially
- The human genome project/Gattaca; are we playing God? Are we playing Hitler? Ethical and social issues involved
- Death penalty: is it truly effective in helping society? Are there alternatives?
- Religion and beliefs: extremists and in-betweens; is it important to strictly follow a religion, is it possible to believe many different things, why is religion so significant in politics and human relations, are there true psychological benefits from believing in something
- Politics; do we truly believe politicians, is there a political solution for our social-economical-political problems
- The environment, why is it so important to conserve it, what's the impact of its destruction in our daily lives
- Education, of any kind (not only limited to school or professional), and how it affects the development of a human being into a strong and well-prepared person
- Families and relationships; what's the importance of a solid social institution and interactions
- The media, mostly newspapers and television; do they take sides and only show us part of a story, do they help in the construction of a well-informed society and individual, how strongly they influence us
- Prejudice, racism and intolerance; why is it so difficult for many of us to accept other people with different cultures, why we tend do make generalizations; do we have solid, good reasons to "hate" other people
This is all I can think so far.
If you don't have any other topics in mind, you can always help me extend these
Also, suggestions for documentaries, webcommunities, books and movies are always appreciated
! The only "controversial" movies I can thing right off the bat are Zeitgeist
and Bowling for Columbine
, but I'm pretty sure there are many more.
Thanks in advance.