It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 What Pokémon do you use to catch others? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well, Psypoke members? What pokémon do you use to catch other pokémon? (Both static and roaming legendaries, as well as any run-of-the-mill pokémon you can encounter anywhere)

After some Google searches, plus much time spend on the psydex, I've got a few that seem to work, but none are perfect.

{gallade}
False Swipe
Mean Look
Thunder Wave/Taunt (in case the legendary tends to heal itself often)
Hypnosis

+Mean look to stop runners
+False Swipe for obvious reasons
-Hypnosis has terrible accuracy

{absol} @ Leftovers
False Swipe
Thunder Wave
Taunt/Swords Dance
Mean Look

+Swords Dance to power up False Swipe
-T-wave isn't best status effect

{parasect}
Spore
False Swipe
Sweet Scent
Thief

+Thief to steal item
+Spore has 100% accuracy
-4x weakness to fire
-Might need frequent healing

{smeargle} @ quick claw
False swipe
Spore
Mean look
Swords Dance/[hp restoring move-maybe synthesis]

+Swords Dance to power up False Swipe
+Mean Look to prevent runners
+Spore 100% acc
-Mediocre stats

{snorlax} @ Lum berry
Yawn
Block
Rest
[damage dealing move]

+Block to stop runners
+Yawn can be used to switch to a false swiper without wasting a turn of sleep
+High HP
-Needs switching out
-No good damage dealing moves that can whittle health without killing

I'm kinda partial to smeargle, but there's the obvious problem of stats, so healing's gonna be a pain. What do you guys use to catch other pokémon/what moveset and pokémon do you plan to make?

-PowerPeanut

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Zangoose with Thunderwave and False Swipes, I used it in generation 3 because back then False Swipe wasn't a TM so having a "catcher" Pokemon was kinda hard to obtain. I don't care that he doesn't have a trapping move, tbh I just use master balls on roaming legendaries because I just can't be bothered with them. I leveled him to an insanely high level (89 or something) in LeafGreen because leveling up took no effort in that game, but thankfully I never made it to 100.

Very interesting to note: Zangoose cannot learn Thunderwave in generation 4, even through a TM. I bred him in Pearl to make a "better" catcher Pokemon (with high IVs and a good nature) only to discover my Zangoose is totally unique in my game, since no other Zangoose can learn Thunderwave. :(

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Krisp wrote:
Very interesting to note: Zangoose cannot learn Thunderwave in generation 4, even through a TM. I bred him in Pearl to make a "better" catcher Pokemon (with high IVs and a good nature) only to discover my Zangoose is totally unique in my game, since no other Zangoose can learn Thunderwave. :(

That's interesting :O And I have 2 master balls in my Platinum and HeartGold, but I don't feel like replaying FireRed and Emerald all over again just for the master ball... This makes catching a running legendary a tad difficult.

C'mon Psypokians, you must use SOMETHING to catch other pokémon.... -_____-

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I use my darkrai from shadows of almia for stronger stuff
since it has dark void i can just void it use dream eater and then let the hp whittle down to red while i put it back to sleep if it wakes up in the mean timei use nasty plot to waste turns
and a false swiping scyther for everthing else

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:30 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

A Blissey works pretty good for me. Seismic Toss for constant low damage, can put to sleep, not to mention it can take a huge beating and heal itself up to 10 times.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:58 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

anything with false wipe or thunderwave

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, by the time I got most of my competitive pokemon to level 100, my Parasect was level 83, and I had 13 Rare Candies, so getting Parasect to level 100 wasn't too hard. No wild fire-type Pokemon's gonna scar a high level Parasect much. And Spore with False Swipe is pretty much the best possible combo of moves for catching Pokemon, maybe a special catcher Smeargle with Spore, Mean Look, False Swipe and Swords Dance at a high level would also be good.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:03 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Well, not even in this IV Generation do I have a pokemon that I use to catch pokemon in general but I do have a group of pokemon I use to catch runner in the IV Generation pokemon games;

HGSS Hunter Team

Umbreon / LV 57 / Synchronize / Male

Substitute = to keep Umbreon or it's teamates from fainting & also to pass on a powerful Substitute to teamates that's not the crappy ones that would be made from another member using this same move

Baton Pass = to pass on Mean Look & Substitute & I guess Taunt also upon switching to the other team member of choice

Taunt = to keep it from using Roar & nothing more

Mean Look = cause without it, I would never get a chance to caught the pokemon who run like they fear all other life forms

Parasect / around LV 50 / Dry Skin / Female
(due to lack of good pokemon with Spore I had no choice plus I don't recommend it either...not using sleep beats using this pokemon)

False Swipe = obvious what this is here for

Spore = obvious what this is here for

? (maybe Substitute) = (to keep parasect from fainting from Entei's attack, you know which one right?)

? (a move I didn't even use due to the fact Parasect couldn't even learn taunt or torment, a tradegy really) = to take up space & nothing more

Gallade / around LV 50 / Steadfast / Male
(what I would have used but learned that paralysing isn't as effective as putting a pokemon to sleep when trying to catch them so...)

Thunder Wave = obvious what this is here for

Torment = cause I couldn't get it on Umbreon without making a huge sacriface, it's to keep it further from doing what it wants to do with what is left of it's arsenal

False Swipe = obvious what this is here for

Taunt = to keep it from using Roar & nothing more...

I have no other pokemon I use to catch others in any other game ever...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:16 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Right now, if I'm going looking for things to catch (for example, when there's a "breakout" of something I don't have) I put one of my high-level battlers into storage and pull out my Butterfree (Lv. 45 I think) with Sleep Powder and use that in conjunction with my Scizor (Lv. 71 right now) with False Swipe.

I did stumble on an oddity with this combination though. If I put something to sleep first, then hit it with False Swipe - it wakes up! I have to get it's HP's down first, THEN put it to sleep.

I do it this way because, with the exception of my Scizor, my team can't do any catching as they're all above Lv. 69 and knock most wilds out with one shot. (I'm levelling this team to face Red.) After I face Red and start a new team, I'm going to set up one single Pok

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:27 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

BarnOwl wrote:
I did stumble on an oddity with this combination though. If I put something to sleep first, then hit it with False Swipe - it wakes up! I have to get it's HP's down first, THEN put it to sleep.

That happens to you, too? I hate it SO MUCH when that happens to me!!!

Usually, if I happen to have a sleep inducing Pokemon with me, I just use that to catch other Pokemon. As for roaming Legendaries, a Golbat with Mean Look is surprisingly effective.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:32 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I use a Parasect with Spore and False Swipe

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Everlasting Sapphire wrote:
Usually, if I happen to have a sleep inducing Pokemon with me, I just use that to catch other Pokemon. As for roaming Legendaries, a Golbat with Mean Look is surprisingly effective.

Crazy thing is that I used a Golbat with Mean Look to catch the Legendary Birds in Platinum but it was somewhat of a pain due to Zapdos still outspeeding it & Zapdos & Articuno both being able to get super effective hits off on it well...in other words, my experience with Golbat was terrible so I just ended up sticking with "Umbreon+False Swipe Pokemon" combination...that being said, I only used Golbat cause I was being lazy & mine most likely wasn't trained properly & still did decently against Moltres so it is somewhat effective...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I have created a new catcher;

{kricketune} (currently Lv. 32)
False Swipe
Sing
Slash
X-Scissor

This is working really well for most of my catches now. Though, since I'm now at 250+ on my dex, I've caught most things in this game. There's still a few I need to track down though.

I've already caught the Legendaries. The Dogs (Entei, etc. . .) were difficult of course due to their tendency to run away at the drop of a hat. I would get them paralyzed & get their HP down low. Then find them again & hit them with Scary Face (Zubat I think), then start tossing my Pok

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]