It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sports that You don't Consider Sports 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

There are lots of sports that most people don't consider sports. Most people wouldn't consider Falconry a sport, or Darts, but they are sports. What sports do you like that aren't technically sports?

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Chess. Does it makes you healthy? Does it train your physique? I don't think so.....

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:16 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dance, competitive eating, competitive breathing, walking, Stationary bike riding,T-Ball

3DS FC (Pokemon X) 2595-0552-0873

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:36 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Golf, Tennis, and T-ball, shooting range games and darts are all sports Chess, racing, Video-gaming, and fishing Are NOT SPORTS. racing all your doing is seeing who can speed (multiple meanings in this case) around the track. Fishing is a hobby not a sport T-Ball is a sport because it is baseball with the ball going on a tee instead of being pitched to you. video-gaming and chess are hobbies and can even get highly competitive but I repeat my self they are not sports.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:52 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I used to make fun of my friend because he plays golf, then one day he talked me into going with him.
ok, so I lost a bet and I had to try it, turns out it's actually kind of fun.
While you won't catch me watching the golf channel like he does, I do like to go with him
to the range at least twice a week for a couple of hours it's pretty fun.
I'm even been looking into getting my own clubs.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: Avoiding roasted cabbage, not eating earwax, and looking on the bright side of life
Chess,table tennis,curling,darts,etc.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:55 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Chess, Table Tenis, Pool, Dance, Fishing, and gaming.

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Let me just clear up some misconceptions. Tennis, Golf, Table Tennis, and Curling are all sports. Two of them are Olympic Sports. On the subject of shooting sports, two shooting sports (Archery and Biathlon) are considered sports.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

When I said T-ball I mean like really little kids t-ball where the parents practically do everything for them and no one ever gets out. Actually I was smart back then I once tried to bunt(I'm serious) in t-ball.

3DS FC (Pokemon X) 2595-0552-0873

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Wailord_2 wrote:
When I said T-ball I mean like really little kids t-ball where the parents practically do everything for them and no one ever gets out. Actually I was smart back then I once tried to bunt(I'm serious) in t-ball.

0_0 Wow! That's kinda funny. Anyway, I don't consider falconry as a sport (if you didn't know if falconry was a sport, then go to the thread where people list what their favorite sports is. The post before mine should be the one that says that falconry is a sport.
I also don't consider American football as a true sport, just mindlessly violent games that us Americans like to watch, like the Romans had their Gladiators way back when. Why, when I'm American? Actually, I came from South Korea to America on April 6, 2002. So, I'm South Korean. American football is hardly played outside the US, and I doubt that there's any international Am. football cups anywhere. Have you heard of an American football team in the UK? Have you heard of one in Germany? In Canada? (just maybe...) In Norway? In Brazil? I don't think so!
(If you can prove me wrong, then please do so!)
~torchie13125

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Erhm, AMERICAN FOOTBALL!! realy? i didnt know? but anyway, i dont play either footboll/football games. i swim, and it's a REAL sport. here's a cool sport someoe should make, TXTNG! itz so fny 2 c peeps txtng thr fngrz off. it wd b fny! LOL!

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yes, American Football. If I just said football, people from other countries are going to say: "Huh? Soccer? That's a real sport." You said it yourself, in your Werewolf thread, Steelbound, that many people, including (I think-correct me if I'm wrong) The Amber Mine is from Australia? Well, they don't say "soccer" in Australia. They say "Football". This is why I say "American Football", not just "Football".

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:44 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

torchie13125 wrote:
Yes, American Football. If I just said football, people from other countries are going to say: "Huh? Soccer? That's a real sport." You said it yourself, in your Werewolf thread, Steelbound, that many people, including (I think-correct me if I'm wrong) The Amber Mine is from Australia? Well, they don't say "soccer" in Australia. They say "Football". This is why I say "American Football", not just "Football".
I'm pretty sure Crunchy (The Mod) is from Australia. Back on topic, American Football is technically a sport by definition, but it is not internationally recognized as a sport. Also, anyone who wants to debate Curling being a Canadian sport, the Norwegian Curling Team and their awesome pants:

Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

2 things:

1 WTF? who got the name "Curling"
2 Who on this forum plays it?

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:41 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Anamator wrote:
2 things:

1. It was the name given to the sport. I don't know why or how it got the name.
2. I don't know anybody on the forum who plays Curling, but it is an Olympic sport.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Steel_Eel wrote:
Anamator wrote:
2 things:

1. It was the name given to the sport. I don't know why or how it got the name.
2. I don't know anybody on the forum who plays Curling, but it is an Olympic sport.

Curling is mostly a Canadian sport, but it's popular in Northern European countries too.
I don't know who plays it either, but there's a US Olympic Curling Team (who don't do well against Canada)
Oh, to be specific, it's a Winter Olympic sport. :)

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah, curling is pretty specific to northern regions. Some good teams are the Canadian, Norwegian, and Russian (I think?) teams. Btw, the next Winter Olympics is in 2014, in Russia.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

RUSSIA?! Are you serious? Hm... We still... Wait, is there an Olympics thread? I don't want to get off-topic here.
Us Koreans will win the short track again and again! Go South Korea! (Everything else, except curling-Go US! Curling: Canada FTW!)

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:04 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

(sberia) Velo Litle john, do you vant to play curling in ze backyard? (lol)

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So, is there an Olympics thread?
Maybe, one for Winter Olympics only?
Thanks!
~torchie13125

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

golf shouldnt be a sport.

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:47 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

KingErick wrote:

Golf has every right to be a sport. It takes skill and planning just like any other sport and one can suffer serious injuries from it just like contact sports. I don't play golf but half my family does. I respect your right to say golf shouldn't be a sport, but at least provide an argument. I consider all sports sports in their own rights. They all require skill and physical/mental taxation, even if it doesn't seem like they would.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:23 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

shinashu taji wrote:
KingErick wrote:

Golf has every right to be a sport. It takes skill and planning just like any other sport and one can suffer serious injuries from it just like contact sports. I don't play golf but half my family does. I respect your right to say golf shouldn't be a sport, but at least provide an argument. I consider all sports sports in their own rights. They all require skill and physical/mental taxation, even if it doesn't seem like they would.

I thought we covered this. Golf IS a sport, just as much as Am. Football is.
Anamator wrote:
(sberia) Velo Litle john, do you vant to play curling in ze backyard? (lol)

In Soviet Russia, Curling plays you!

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Um, I thought Russia wasn't Communist anymore? Maybe I got a 4 on my AP World History Test (in America) with no knowledge that Russia was still Communist. Last time I checked, the Soviet Union got dismantled in the 1980s and 1990s.
Anyway, I also don't think synchronized swimming should be a sport. Why? It's pretty much underwater dancing!
Another sport that shouldn't be a sport is figure skating. The reason? Same as above, except on ice. Dancing isn't a sport.
~torchie13125

Last edited by torchie13125 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:52 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

torchie13125 wrote:
American football is hardly played outside the US, and I doubt that there's any international Am. football cups anywhere. Have you heard of an American football team in the UK? Have you heard of one in Germany? In Canada? (just maybe...) In Norway? In Brazil?

Maybe I'm a bit late in doing this, but...

Britain: British American Football League. Also had two teams in NFL Europe (London Monarchs and Scottish Claymores), and hosts one NFL game each year in Wembley Stadium.
Germany: German Football League. Also hosted five of the NFL Europe teams.
Canada: Canadian Football League. Kind of a big thing there.
Norway: Norway American Football Federation
Brazil: No league as far as I can tell, but they still have a national team in the sport. That'll do for the purposes of your question.

As for your claim that there aren't any international cups, there's the IFAF World Cup. There's also the European Football League, which operates similarly to the Champions League soccer tournament (i.e. best club teams in Europe participate in a tournament to determine the European champion).

And as for the rest of you, there seems to be a lot of people who seem to think things aren't sports out of sheer ignorance. Things like chess and gaming that primarily involve mental skill can easily be considered sports. Racing, especially at Formula One level, requires rigorous physical training to cope with all of the g-forces you're subjected to. Golf, again, not blatantly obvious, but it does need training to hit the ball precisely where you need to. Curling, just like golf, much more precision-based. Dancing isn't necessarily a sport on its own, but it can be incorporated into things that ARE sports, like gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming, etc.

Just because things don't bash you over the head with their obvious need of physical skill doesn't mean they aren't sports. There's more to the term than that.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next