It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Shininess in Pokemon fossils? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Long time Pokemon player, first time poster. I know that the shininess of Pokemon in eggs is determined as soon as they were received so reset farming right before they hatch doesn't work, but what about when you bring a fossil back to life? At least for HG/SS, does anyone know if a Pokemon's shininess is locked in when you get the fossil, when you give the scientist the fossil, or when he gives you the final Pokemon? I'm just wondering because the Shiny green Kabuto is amazing looking, and I wan't to know if farming for it would be easy or even possible to do without eggs.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Pokemon fossils are items not eggs, giving the item to the lab guy triggers the event that generates the pokemon, so You could give the guy 1 fossil and soft reset it till its shiny.
also the event triggers when you talk to him not when you leave the building.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:39 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

/vXv\ wrote:
Pokemon fossils are items not eggs, giving the item to the lab guy triggers the event that generates the pokemon, so You could give the guy 1 fossil and soft reset it till its shiny.

So just to be sure, it triggers the Pokemon generation when you give him the fossil, not when he gives you the actual Pokemon?

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:58 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

omgfail wrote:
/vXv\ wrote:

So just to be sure, it triggers the Pokemon generation when you give him the fossil, not when he gives you the actual Pokemon?

It will be just like seeing the pokemon in the wild. It's generated at random by 1/8000 odds whether or not it will be shiny, just you'll automatically acquire your kabuto shiny or not instead of having to search everywhere and carry 100's of pokeballs. Did I help or did it just make everything worse?

current party in HG:
{typhlosion} {quagsire} {crobat} {tyranitar} {honchkrow} {gyarados}
If you want to find me outside of Psypoke, you can find me on the pokemon lab server, look for steamroll. They will also be updating to the Gen V metagame soon so that will be worth checking out, too.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

B-Mac wrote:
It will be just like seeing the pokemon in the wild. It's generated at random by 1/8000 odds whether or not it will be shiny, just you'll automatically acquire your kabuto shiny or not instead of having to search everywhere and carry 100's of pokeballs. Did I help or did it just make everything worse?

Don't worry, you helped. Alright, so I'll just soft reset right before he gives me the actual Pokemon, not when I give him the fossil? I think? If this is wrong someone post, otherwise we can let this thread die.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:45 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

omgfail wrote:
B-Mac wrote:

Don't worry, you helped. Alright, so I'll just soft reset right before he gives me the actual Pokemon, not when I give him the fossil? I think? If this is wrong someone post, otherwise we can let this thread die.

Just save right before you talk to him with an open slot in your 6 pokemon. If it's not shiny just restart until kabuto is shiny. But my best guess is that it will test your patience and annoy you severely.

EDIT: I'm looking at the shiny's guide and they don't say anything about fossils. But, by assumption I guess a fossil should be treated as an egg. I'm sure this could be an arguable statement so I suggest we wait until someone who knows everything about a shiny comes and posts.

current party in HG:
If you want to find me outside of Psypoke, you can find me on the pokemon lab server, look for steamroll. They will also be updating to the Gen V metagame soon so that will be worth checking out, too.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

B-Mac wrote:
omgfail wrote:
B-Mac wrote:

Just save right before you talk to him with an open slot in your 6 pokemon. If it's not shiny just restart until kabuto is shiny. But my best guess is that it will test your patience and annoy you severely.

EDIT: I'm looking at the shiny's guide and they don't say anything about fossils. But, by assumption I guess a fossil should be treated as an egg. I'm sure this could be an arguable statement so I suggest we wait until someone who knows everything about a shiny comes and posts.

Heh, don't worry, I can deal with frustration and long periods of doing nothing... I'm basically alone in my house for the next like 5 days while my sister is moving down to Florida. If I can reset two times a minute, there's an exactly 28.9522314237% chance of me getting a shiny Kabuto within a full day of play time... I like those odds!

God, I really need a life...

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

good luck.

current party in HG:

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

so did you get it yet
god I need a life to(not)

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

omgfail wrote:
If I can reset two times a minute, there's an exactly 28.9522314237% chance of me getting a shiny Kabuto within a full day of play time... I like those odds!

um...

actually there is a 1/8000 chance since time doesn't improve odds.

so it could take 1 min or eternity..

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:06 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

KingErick wrote:
omgfail wrote:
If I can reset two times a minute, there's an exactly 28.9522314237% chance of me getting a shiny Kabuto within a full day of play time... I like those odds!

um...

actually there is a 1/8000 chance since time doesn't improve odds.

so it could take 1 min or eternity..

The odds of getting a legendary is 1/8192, but the more random Pokemon are generated, the greater the odds are. So if there's a 8,191/8,192 chance of the first Pokemon not being shiny, the odds of both the first and second Pokemon both not being shiny is (8,191/8,192) to the second power. So, since the odds of NOT seeing a shiny in 'x' soft resets is (8,191/8,192)^x, the odds of SEEING a shiny is 1-(8,191/8,192)^x. Knowing this, the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon over a set period of time can be calculated exactly if you know the average time it takes for one soft reset. So the odds of getting a shiny Pokemon on your first random generation is 0.0122%, but the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon by your 8,192th soft reset is 63.2143%, and the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon by your 100,000th soft reset is just under a 99.99% chance. That is, if you haven't killed yourself out of boredom yet. =P

All in all, stay in school and buy a graphing calculator if you want to play hardcore Pokemon. ;D

Also, I checked with an Old Amber fossil I had, the Pokemon is generated as SOON as you pick it up from the scientist, so soft resetting for the elusive Shiny Kabuto is only slightly slower than SRing in front of a legendary Pokemon, since you just have to talk to him and then check your Pokemon's summary. I thought this thread was going to get buried so I didn't bother posting that earlier.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:49 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Quote:
The odds of getting a legendary is 1/8192, but the more random Pokemon are generated, the greater the odds are. So if there's a 8,191/8,192 chance of the first Pokemon not being shiny, the odds of both the first and second Pokemon both not being shiny is (8,191/8,192) to the second power. So, since the odds of NOT seeing a shiny in 'x' soft resets is (8,191/8,192)^x, the odds of SEEING a shiny is 1-(8,191/8,192)^x. Knowing this, the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon over a set period of time can be calculated exactly if you know the average time it takes for one soft reset. So the odds of getting a shiny Pokemon on your first random generation is 0.0122%, but the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon by your 8,192th soft reset is 63.2143%, and the odds of seeing a shiny Pokemon by your 100,000th soft reset is just under a 99.99% chance. That is, if you haven't killed yourself out of boredom yet. =P

All in all, stay in school and buy a graphing calculator if you want to play hardcore Pokemon. ;D

Also, I checked with an Old Amber fossil I had, the Pokemon is generated as SOON as you pick it up from the scientist, so soft resetting for the elusive Shiny Kabuto is only slightly slower than SRing in front of a legendary Pokemon, since you just have to talk to him and then check your Pokemon's summary. I thought this thread was going to get buried so I didn't bother posting that earlier.

*claps* brilliant explanation of your methodology, have you accomplished what you set out to do?

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:38 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

it should be like that and all normal

My trading thread:http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27589

my fc:0561 1373 6911

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:39 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Another method you can try is breeding a kabuto with a japanese (or any poke not from your country/version) pokemon. as the shiny encounter rate is increased by 25% for the eggs. It also allows you to get a better chance for a good nature by breeding with the everstone.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:05 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ethereal Ice wrote:
Quote:

*claps* brilliant explanation of your methodology, have you accomplished what you set out to do?

Not brilliant. I did fail to explain it properly and forget to check this thread but you are wrong so let me take another stab at it if anyone cares:

Flip a coin ten times. You are trying to get heads.

You have a 50/50 chance of heads.

Flip a coin once. you have a 50/50 chance.

If you soft reset 7,999 times your odds of a shiny on the next? 1/8000

If you soft reset 100,000 times the next chance is 1/8000.

Its important to remember that probability isn't a guarantee that you will see one 1/8000. Its a chance.

The chance is small. It is entirely possible to never hit. If you were to do it constantly maybe you will get lucky. But you only will have a 1/8000 chance. That's why evolution is a load of crap.

Its been estimated there is a 1/1x10 to the 34 power or something chance of it happening but billions or even trillions of years doesn't increase the odds.

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:56 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It's like winning the lottery, if you win you should get struck by lightning... (you will probably be struck by lightning before winning the lottery)

current party in HG:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]