It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Poison-Type Pokemon 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm just wondering something. What is the general consensus on poison types these days? Can they be a serious threat in competitive battling? If so, which ones in particular? And if not, then, what is holding them back?

I'd also like to know if there are any poison-related things you'd like to see in the coming generation, like new evolutions, moves, or maybe a poison weather effect or something.

Forgive the, um.....broadness of my topic, I'd just really like to know what the public thinks.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:17 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Poison-types are easily underlooked and easily expendable. Their only offensive victim is the Grass-type which already has many more-common weaknesses.

I only use Poison-types that are useful because of their second type, such as Crobat.

One of these days, I'd like to see an "Acid Rain" weather, that harms Water-types and stuff, but heals Poison-types and boosts their power.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

The only viable Poison Pokemon in the competitive metagame are dual types. Other than that the only niche use they have is throwing down and absorbing Toxic Spikes. Despite a few good Pokemon such as Gengar, Roserade and Tentacruel (note again that they're all dual-types), Poison's dreadful offensive type match-ups all but sink it, and weakness against Earthquake doesn't help either.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Frost wrote:
The only viable Poison Pokemon in the competitive metagame are dual types. Other than that the only niche use they have is throwing down and absorbing Toxic Spikes. Despite a few good Pokemon such as Gengar, Roserade and Tentacruel (note again that they're all dual-types), Poison's dreadful offensive type match-ups all but sink it, and weakness against Earthquake doesn't help either.

What about Crobat?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

One of poisons main weaknesses is Ground. Crobat is half Flying type. He can't be hit by Ground.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Exactly. That's why I think Crobat is one of the most useful Poison-types in existence.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Poison Types arent terribly useful. The last one i used for a significant time was Stukny/Skuntank. Toxic is kinda useful. Its better whn poison is a dual type. Stunky is actually ok cause its part Dark ( i think) It also learns Flamethrower when it evolves at the correct level and there arent alot of firetypes in D/P/Plat. its a useful move.

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Yeah, {skuntank} is awesome & I know from personal experience, {crobat} is awesome too as well as all of Frost's mentioned dual type pokemon, {seviper} would be my solo Poison Type of choice, if I had to pick one anyway...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If I had to pick a solo poison-type, it would be Arbok. I don't know why, I just like him.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:24 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Ryanh181 wrote:
If I had to pick a solo poison-type, it would be Arbok. I don't know why, I just like him.

I didn't want to say anything but I actually think that Arbok has a better movepool then Seviper among something else I can't remember, wish I would have finished training Rose's Arbok now...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i like arbok myself. I havent had him with me, in a while, i kicked him out to replace him with the Dratini I caught from my Pokewalker. He followed me for alot of my early SS game.

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:01 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity yet to battle against another player. However, some of the NPC's in HG (as well as others) seem to like some of the poison types. I generally don't use them as I have found them to be too vulnerable to too many types of attacks. A strong fire attack is what I usually use against most of the poison types and have found it to be very effective against even those with higher levels than what I'm using. If it's a type that maybe doesn't go down quickly with fire, water, ice or electricity usually does the trick nicely. And I almost always have those types with me once I have found some.

Now, having said that, I will frequently have someone with me who does have some poison attacks and/or sleep for catching. :-)

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:52 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I have a great arbok with a very powerful poison move that i prefer called

sludge bomb.

BEAST MODE

#E3CF57 reference ;]

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Xenon3120 won a 16 person different type tourney with poison types.

They personally one of my favorites too.

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Gallade Roxas wrote:
Exactly. That's why I think Crobat is one of the most useful Poison-types in existence.

Crobat isn't the only one with that resistance though, we all know how effective Gengar is as a special sweeper. It seems to me that they need some sort of balance in the future. Poison moves aren't good because they're only good against pure grass types, which are what? Bellossom? Sunflora? And in gen 2 they went ahead and made steel types immune to the already inconvenienced poison type. Le sigh.

Anyways, for a pure poison type, my favourite would definitely be Muk. Good hp, good sp. def, good attack, and acid armor, but a weakness to earthquake which everyone from hitmonlee up has. If it weren't for steel types, they should've BANNED that move.

Off topic: You know who some of the best non-uber tanks are? Skarmory and Bronzong. Why? They're steel types that are immune to earthquake.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:00 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Steel types as a whole are a terrible idea. Then they go ahead and give Steels free resistances by dual-typing them with Flying and Psychic, AND giving lots of them Levitate. I think they resist 11/14 types, with only 3 weaknesses and about the same number of super-effective offensive matchups. Lame-o!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:48 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

As much as I love a good Poison-type like Crobat, I think that Poison-types are losing their worth because of the rise of Steel-types. Normal types kicked butt until the RSE Ghosts were introduced. Then they really lost value. I do think that the Poison/Dark combo is cool, but Ground-types can plow through them too easily, especially with the abundance of them in the DPP generation. I hope there are new moves that can help Poison Pokemon, or they could seriously lose their worth.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Weezing is a (possibly the only) decent pure Poison that works as a physical wall right?
EDIT: WOAH! Amazing idea. I could pair up Weezing (phys. wall) with my Lanturn (parafusion/specially bulky) to soak up my lanturn's Grass and Ground weaknesses! I already have a Paraflinch Togekiss to work with the Lanturn but Weezing will make a dual-wall combo! Yay Poison-types!

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:49 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i havent always had the best of a time with poisons either but some of the bug/poison dual types are decent dustox for instance he has a decent movepool or i regret to say beedrill he is good at the begining of games but i have a feeling he will just fail later in the games

Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:26 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i think some poison types could be used in competitive game play they lay down toxic spike and can trap with toxic. {weezing} is a really good physical sponge and can be used in competitive game play.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:44 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Drapion and Skuntank have only one weakness

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:17 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: A blue police box somewhere near the Medusa Cascade
Weezing's a fairly popular physical sponge, and the threat of Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave from it is always present. Its moveset is also very large.

I run a Nidoqueen in my mainly OU stall team-- she sets up and absorbs Toxic Spikes, blocks Thunder Waves meant to cripple my Jirachi or Tyranitar and Thunderbolts aimed at my Vaporeon, is a fantastic bulky Pokemon (surviving an Attack-EVed Forretress Explosion, albeit barely), and can deal out considerable damage with Earthquake. The Nidoroyals' huge moveset and decent stats are their main draw, in my opinion.

Crobat and Gengar, of course, are two of the premier annoyers...

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Gengar, Roserade and Tentacruel are the three poison type OUs. I have a Gengar on some of my teams, coz I'm more of an offensive guy... Roserade is more of a lead, setting up Toxic Spikes and then attacking like crazy with Leafstorm. Tentacruel's for stall teams, as he can set up Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, and something else :S. Crobat's in BL, and I like him coz he's an amazing anti-lead, kills off most aerodactyls, azelfs etc. and especially machamps. he also counters breloom.

Weezing and Venusaur are the best poison types in UU. Weezing used to be OU, but then stuff like Infernape and Garchomp came and having no recovery move just wasn't good enough. It's the best pure poison type, mainly because of Levitate ¬¬. But having one weakness is very useful, and it also makes Skuntank and Drapion quite good (except that their weakness is really common i.e. earthquake). Not many Pokemon have strong psychic moves, and those that do are usually psychic types that get screwed easily by any strong attack. Will-o-wisp burns people, brilliant move, Pain Split is a sort of recovery move, and Explosion is for the lulz. Venusaur's a good sweeper with Swords Dance and Seed Bomb, and its defenses mean it can survive a few shots while sweeping.

So i guess pure poison type wise, Weezing's the only good one, and even then it relies on levitate.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'd like to see an evolution of Tentacruel! Maybe a Steel-Poison type too, because I don't think there are any. And I dunno why, but I just love Toxicroak for some reason :D

EDIT: There should also be a Poison evolution for Eevee!

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Poison types are used in competitive battling just usually in the lesser tiers, for most of them share the common weakness, which may be one of the most overused moves in the game, earthquake. But as previously stated some poison pokes like crobat have an immunity to ground. I'm pretty sure Weezing is used in competitive battling, due to Levitate, and its above average defense stats.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next