It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Battle Tower fail 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

OK, so I've been trying to get to the tower tycoon but he keeps evading me, or at the least whooping my ass once I get to him. I'll give a rundown of all the pokes I have available to me, and what combos I've been trying:

Drapion@Razor Claw (is scope lens better?)
Night Slash
Cross Poison
Earthquake
Ice Fang

Empoleon
Surf
Flash Cannon
Drill Peck
Ice Beam

Breloom@Toxic Orb
Spore
Seed Bomb
Focus Punch
Facade

Gengar
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Sludge bomb

Alakazam
Psychic
Focus Blast
Energy Ball(no platinum for the bug one)
Miracle eye (any suggestions for this slot?)

Dragonite
Wing Attack
Dragon Claw
Thunder Punch
Fire Punch

My more reliable team was Drapion start, with Dragonite and Empoleon in reserve but mr Tycoon's dragonite and milotic would whoop my butt. Alakazam has been an overall useless one for me, so I tried Breloom start, empoleon and gengar. I'm in diamond so hypnosis is worth keeping on gengar since its accuracy is still 70. I used the standard smogon EV spread for breloom so he normally can set up but the ones that outspeed him or wake up first turn/chesto berry almost always OHKO him somehow. Recently, a magneton managed to sweep my entire team with shock wave. Don't ask me how. I'm now trying out breloom, drapion and gengar together but prospects aren't the best.

Anyway, feedback would be awesome. Thank you.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24060

If you're just trying to get past the Tower Tycoon, though, you probably just need to train a wall.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

My knowledge is limited when it comes to other types, but I sure can help you with Alakazam's moveset.

First off, I love Miracle Eye but it can be risky against strong dark foes like Honchcrow that can KO psychic pokemon quickly. Focus Blast is also a nice move to have but it's accuracy can be a recipe for disaster. If you can't land it, Alakazam could be in big trouble. I'd arm Alakazam with the move signal beam. Signal Beam can obliterate enemies like Cacturne and Shiftry. As for energy ball I'd substitute that for Shadow Ball so that you can deal a significant amount of damage to Ghost pokemon ASAP. PSYCHIC is a must as Alakazam can benefit greatly from STAB moves.

Hope this help!!

OH one other thing, as for Alakazam's held item I'd recommend using life orb, but if you can't handle the HP loss, then Wise glasses would be a good alternative.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you have access to a hacking device, just get a Latios with Soul Dew and Dragon Pulse the opponent right where they piss. Obviously the other two pokes should be to eliminate steel types and blisseys.

Otherwise, Smeargle is a pretty golden option here. Most moves will take it out in one shot, granted, but a combination of Focus Sash, Spore and Roar is golden. It gets at least one Pokemon asleep, possibly two, three if your up against a team of non-attackers. But that usually won't get you further than the Tower Tycoon.

My strategy is to use a Scarfed Breloom with Spore and a Salamence with a Focus Sash. Spore them, then switch to Salamence and dragon dance up, then whup their asses. (I also have a hacked Latios with a Soul Dew in reserve, but hey).

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:56 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Slim Shady wrote:
If you have access to a hacking device, just get a Latios with Soul Dew and Dragon Pulse the opponent right where they piss. Obviously the other two pokes should be to eliminate steel types and blisseys.

Otherwise, Smeargle is a pretty golden option here. Most moves will take it out in one shot, granted, but a combination of Focus Sash, Spore and Roar is golden. It gets at least one Pokemon asleep, possibly two, three if your up against a team of non-attackers. But that usually won't get you further than the Tower Tycoon.

My strategy is to use a Scarfed Breloom with Spore and a Salamence with a Focus Sash. Spore them, then switch to Salamence and dragon dance up, then whup their asses. (I also have a hacked Latios with a Soul Dew in reserve, but hey).

1. We don't aprove of hacking here
2. Besides if you have a HG/SS you can get a free lati@s with soul dew on wi-fi
3.empoleon should go for Grass knot over Drill peck Also check its hidden power at the game corner if its electric use that instead
4. Give alakazam Shadow ball
5. you do need a good wall/ Tank something that with withstand a few heavy hits

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:56 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If you're willing to make new pokemon solely for usage in the Tower, I would suggest making use of the TrickGrudge strategy. I personally like Spiritomb, but any pokemon that can learn both moves is viable. Basically, you need a TrickGrudger, a reliable set-up sweeper, and a pokemon that can clean up if the sweeper is KO'd (which isn't very often). The team I use is:

Spiritomb @ Choice Scarf
Calm - 252 HP, 140 Def, 116 SD
Pressure
- Trick
- Grudge
- Destiny Bond
- Dark Pulse

Charizard @ Salac Berry
Adamant - 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Blaze
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Lucario @ Expert Belt
Jolly - 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Inner Focus
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

This team may look a bit odd, especially with Spiritomb, but it is very effective. It takes advantage of the AI's reluctance to switch out and allows you to set up a sweep of the opponent.

The idea for using this team is simple: Use Spiritomb as the lead. Trick the Scarf onto the opponent (don't use Specs or Band as this could accidently lead to a premature KO. Then, just use Grudge until Spiritomb is KO'd. This will deplete the PP of the move that the opponent is locked into to 0, giving you a 4-5 move window to send out Charizard, Substitute, Belly Drum, and sweep while they Struggle to death. If Charizard gets knocked out for some reason, just use Lucario to clean up the pieces - there usually won't be much left.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:51 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I sometimes use a similar tactic, although in place of TrickGrudge, I use a Trick/Memento combination on a Dusknoir.

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hm... I need some help as well, but I'm sort of afraid to ask it in the big one.
For the singles in Diamond, I keep getting crushed by the Tycoon.
I used these at first:
{infernape} @Leftovers
Modest/Blaze
252 Sp. Atk., 252 Speed, 6 Atk.
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Focus Blast
Blast Burn
{staraptor} @Shell Bell
Bashful/Intimidate
Brave Bird
Wing Attack
Aerial Ace
Fly
{azelf} @Focus Sash
Psychic
Explosion
Charge Beam
Iron Tail
I think I need a good wall, but I don't what to use. I have a Lv. 27 Vaporeon right now. Can I train it (I was EV training it) and use it instead one of the three? Oh yeah, since the first time, my Infernape has gone through many changes. Same thing with Staraptor. I can't remember the changes for Infernape were, but Staraptor now knows U-Turn, Return, Fly, Brave Bird. I'm getting a Dusknoir soon. Should I use that instead?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]