It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Why are most Dragon-types double-weak to Ice? 
Author Message
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Have you ever noticed that the vast majority of Dragon-types are double-weak to Ice-type moves? With the exception of Kingdra, the Sinnoh trio, and the B/W mascots, Ice-type Pokémon can wipe the floor with most Dragon-types.

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 am
Posts: 1555
Location: Purple Ranger
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Have you ever noticed that the vast majority of Dragon-types are double-weak to Ice-type moves?


Nope, can't say that I have.

4x weakness to ice (6 final evolutions):
-Dragonite
-Altaria
-Flygon
-Salamence
-Rayquaza
-Garchomp

No 4x weakness to Ice (8 final evolutions):
-Kingdra
-Latias
-Latios
-Dialga
-Palkia
-Giratina
-Reshiram
-Zekrom

_________________


Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Posts: 555
Location: That's between me and the Danes...
Well... I said that counting ALL of them, not just final evos.

Even still, there seem to be quite a few more than there should be.

_________________
Final Black Team:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2511
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Even still, there seem to be quite a few more than there should be.


Not really, I mean as long as most of them aren't weakened x4 by Ice Type attacks, then I don't see why this would ever matter, ever I mean they are Dragon Types, they are already a alpha type among the 17 Types that exist...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:17 pm
Profile
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:28 am
Posts: 507
Location: Somewhere around Fortree City, I'm sure.
I'm not really sure that I understand the purpose of this thread...

Dual and quad weaknesses are important, yes, but not so noteworthy as to be deserving of an entire thread. Even more so with this one because it is about a single quad weakness...

_________________
~*Shiny Hunter*~

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.


Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:42 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Surfing with Pikachu
Gallade Roxas wrote:
Well... I said that counting ALL of them, not just final evos.

Even still, there seem to be quite a few more than there should be.


If you counted ALL of them, you'd be including things like gible and dratini, which wouldn't be very effective at proving your point. I think the reason so many legendary dragons don't have quad weaknesses is because "dragon" is one of the things most people think of when they think "legendary". Therefore, if there are a lot of legendary dragons, then they'd have to differentiate them with "interesting" dual types, Psychic, Steel, Ghost, ect. (I never use legendaries, so this kinda upsets me actually.)


Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 am
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
well, i think the reason why it seems like a lot of them are double-weak or quad-weak is because a lot of dragons are actually dragon/flying, resulting in 4x weakness to ice. and Frost, if you take out zekrom and reshiram (which are new, and haven't been played by anyone on this forum, as far as i know) it's an even 50/50, which could seem like a majority, depending on how often you see some (and most of the ones not 4x weak to ice are legendaries, so you wouldn't encounter them too often, i think).

_________________
Image


Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 am
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2511
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Still, considering how many weaknesses the Dragon Type has, this isn't much of a problem what so ever, besides, the Ice Type need this badly cause otherwise they would be in the same league as the Grass Type, now that would be a tradegy, funny thing is that it is however close to the Grass Type *sign*...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
Lawence Codye wrote:
Still, considering how many weaknesses the Dragon Type has, this isn't much of a problem what so ever, besides, the Ice Type need this badly cause otherwise they would be in the same league as the Grass Type, now that would be a tradegy, funny thing is that it is however close to the Grass Type *sign*...

yup, i agree. never said it was a problem. ice beam is pretty much my fall-back anytime i come across a dragon. :-D

_________________
Image


Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:54 pm
Profile
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:17 pm
Posts: 2511
Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
rex09 wrote:
yup, i agree. never said it was a problem. ice beam is pretty much my fall-back anytime i come across a dragon. :-D


Sorry, was referring to the person who made this thread when I said that part, the rest was for you & probably anyone else who sees it...

_________________
3DS Friend Code = 4441 - 9336 - 3527
(Be aware that I must also add you so in order to know you added it, just maybe...)

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"


Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 pm
Profile
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm
Posts: 1312
Lawence Codye wrote:
rex09 wrote:
yup, i agree. never said it was a problem. ice beam is pretty much my fall-back anytime i come across a dragon. :-D


Sorry, was referring to the person who made this thread when I said that part, the rest was for you & probably anyone else who sees it...

np.

_________________
Image


Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:18 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 pm
Posts: 132
Location: somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.....
heh, its funny beacuse if you take ubers out of a battle, there aren't mant dragon pokes to choose from.... They need less ubers and more UU and OU..... but dragon is probably one of the types Nintendo has used too many times for legendaries.... (along with psychic, fire, water/ice, and electric)

_________________
'You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice'
'If you build it, he will come.'
Image Image

FC:
5414 2352 1981 (Soul Silver)
4642 7245 1078 (White 2)


Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:24 am
Posts: 77
Location: the other side of darkrai's dark void
Yes but you realy think about it it would seem that most dragons are 4X weak to ice just due to the rarity of the non 4X weak guys
Most of them are legendaries its just the sinnoh trio the latis and kingdra so yes the statement most dragon types are 4X weak against ice is true because most dragon types are dragonites garchomps altaria salamance and flygon

_________________
a participant in the nuzlocke challenge
Image
help my pokefarm expand


Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 am
Profile
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 33
Dragon pokemon annoy me. They're way too overpowered and there are too many legendary ones. Honestly they deserve to get obliterated by ice. That's what they get for having a resistance to water, fire, grass, and electricity. They have to be weak against something for crying out loud.

_________________
Childish Fools
Image Image


Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 pm
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm
Posts: 164
you could just not use those dragons on ice types in the first place.

_________________
I am a shiny collector.
I have many shinies that are too may to list here

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}


Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:42 am
Profile
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:42 am
Posts: 587
Location: Lurking around..
Well, i think that the quadruple weakness served the well, since it resists a lot of common types. A Dragon/Flying type will resist Fire, Grass, Water, and gave them immunities to Ground. But yeah, i'm agree that Dragons have too much ubers.


Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:49 am
Profile
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:49 am
Posts: 110
Location: Die of AIDS for your first clue
yeah, but Dragon/Flying also has a weakness to Stealth Rock, the most common move in the metagame. Dragons can generally fly, so they are commonly paired with Flying. It's the same how Rock types are commonly either 4x weak to water and grass (when paired with Ground) or fighting and ground (when paired with Steel). It's just a common dual type. Also, ice type is strong on four types, which is an advantage. I mean, psychic type is only strong on two types, which is why there are only two pokemon that it is 4x strong on. Fighting and Ground both have 5 strengths, so that's why there also 4x strong on so much. Fighting is 4x strong on 9 pokemon, and Ground is 4x strong on 11 pokemon.

_________________
73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.


Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:03 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.