It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New Game Without Starter 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Hey! I',m Going to Start a new game on my red version, but want to try playing the game WITHOUT

my started and WITHOUT gameshark(which i HATE with a pasion!!!!)

Any Suggestions?

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm going to hope you mean not using your starter. As to that, a really strange idea. If you don't get one, you can't start the game... :P

As to what you should do, I would highly suggest not doing this, because sadly, the first gen is represented well in the starters (meaning that none of their basic types will be nearly as good otherwise).

Although, depending on which you pick, here are ideas for replacements.

If you pick Bulbasaur, and end up not using it, aim for an Exeggutor. Your other Grass options are Tangela, Parasect, Victreebel, and Vileplume, if you don't want that.

If you pick Charmander, and end up not using it, aim for an Arcanine. Your other Fire options are Ninetales, Rapidash, Magmar, Flareon, or Moltres. Come to think of it, Moltres would be fantastic, but you can actually train an Arcanine before you get to the E4.

If you pick Squirtle, and end up not using it, aim for a Lapras. Your other Water options are Golduck, Poliwrath, Tentacruel, Slowbro, Dewgong, Cloyster, Kingler, Seadra, Seaking, Starmie, Gyarados, Vaporeon, Omastar, and Kabutops if a Lapras doesn't appeal to you.

As for the rest, I would look heavily at the Gym Leaders/E4, and consider their weaknesses and maximize the bang for the buck. Remember, a lot of attacks don't exist or are still different types that won't help as much. In the end, it's up to you.

Hope this helps!

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Thanks for the help, i'm still goingg to take suggestions for another two weeks(I'm taking the training for the Elite four slowly)

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

the tips are all very good.

i would consider adding zapdos and snorlax to your team because they are power players and can cover alot of your weakness.

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:45 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

You can't go wrong with the Eeveelutions, either. I can remember replaying that team again and again, trading back and forth via link cable and starting the game again with the same three pokemon.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:07 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

go with a alakazam

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Fire pokemon aren't that good in gen1 anyway, there are a lot of water pokemon that are better than blastoise like starmie, lapras, and slowbro for example. If you want a grass pokemon you could use exeggutor, since he's pretty good. Victreebell and vileplume also work (if this is red I think you get oddish?). Tangela's not too bad either he just doesn't get many moves.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

it terms of moveset most of the grass and fire pokes suck with tm's (solabeam/fireblast) be wary if you have already used the tm's

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I actually played most of my late Silver without my starter, boxed it around Ecrotek or so and then begun to carry it again after I defeated the game.

I would imagine the beginning of any set of the games without your starter would be difficult, the metal set may be the one exception to the beginning of the games usually offering useless pokemon. At least in the metal set you are given the Bugsy friendly pokemon hoothoot, spearow and pidgey early on, if you can find a way past Fawkner especially with Chikorita.

In the first set, you are offered nothing but bugs, pidgey, pikachu and ratatta most commonly which are all a very very Brock unfriendly pokemon; So until you are at least past the first two gyms your starter is pretty much your ringer unless you choose Charmander which is a type disadvantage to both. And you could use a pikachu for the second gym, but Brock you would for sure have trouble getting past without Squirtle or Bulbasaur(or gameshark).

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]