It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Three starters question 

Which Starter do you like/think is the better one?
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion 56%  56%  [ 15 ]
None 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
It only depends on its stats 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

Three starters question 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hey, I have a question about the three starters. Which of the starters is the strongest/better one? Because when I play Pokemon Soul Silver with my friends, they say that Chikorita sucks, so that I suck and so does my Meganium (Yes, I have a Meganium because my favorite pokemon is Chikorita)! Well, they really didn't say I suck. But they have a Feraligatr. Well, I think one has a Typhlosion. They said that Typhlosion is not that good either. They say that Feraligatr is the best. But which one is the best? They also say the same thing about the Kanto, Hoenn and Sinnoh region starters (Charizard is the best and Venasaur sucks, Hoenn that Sceptile and Blaziken are real good but they didn't say anything about Swampert and Infernape is the best and Empoleon is good but that Torterra sucks)!

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Personally, I prefer Charizard, Feraligatr, Swampert, and Torterra.

I don't think any of the starters are terrible.
It really depends on what kind of pokemon you prefer.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, personally, I went with Cyndaquil. But thats mostly just because I like fire types and find them to be pretty useful. Also, it has been my experience that there are generally way more water types and grass types to be found throughout the game than there are fire types. I mean I've filled a whole storage box with water types in HG, and my grass type box is about 2/3 full. I've got 7 fire types total right now, including different evolutions of a few, and Ho-oh and the big fire doggie (Entei). Granted I haven't evolved my Slugma yet, but it does seem to me that fire types are a bit more rare than other types.

As has been previously discussed, each of these types (fire, grass, water) have their own strengths and weaknesses (just go ask Professor Elm). And each of the starters is fully capable of becomming quite powerful depending on their level and what attacks/moves you teach them. So, it seems to be to be rather spurious to claim that one or another "sucks". All things being equal, any one of the starters will be somewhat effective against the others. Tell your friends they are ill-informed and their arguments are without merit. (If nothing else you'll sound much more intelligent than them.) :-D

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

It's only about stats for me.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:06 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

think about it this way, cyndaquil is a fire type, and effective versus falkner, bugsy, jasmine, and pryce,
totodile is a water type, he is effective versus, well none of the gyms,
and chikorita, is weak to falkner, bugsy, jasmine, and pryce,
i dont know about you, but thats how i look at my starters, and from my experience, cyndaquil was easier to use than totodile, but its up to you

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:24 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Feraligatr only cause of the recent coming of the 4th Gen that gave physical attacks to all types thus making it way more useful then it ever could have been in GSC...

That being said I favor Typhlosion over then all & for some reason also think that Meganuim has the best stats but believe that Feraligatr is the best starter for the adventure due to it's high ATK & the new physical/special damage system introduced in the 4th Gen...weird...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Typhlosion looks best while wandering around on the overworld, so I prefer Cyndaquil. I raised all three in one game, and I found that Typhlosion was always appearing at the front of my party because it is a mammal and I am predisposed towards mammals over plants and reptiles.

ImageImageAnd I really love Typhlosion's alternate coloration! That sprite is amazing as well.

I prefer Venusaur over Meganium. I also prefer Swampert over Feraligatr. Therefore, if I choose Typhlosion, I get all the starters I like!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:58 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

To be honest, stats are important to me, but I usually choose the starters based on how much I like them.

For Generation One, I liked all three of them equally. Generation Two, I always chose Chikorita. Gen 3 and 4, I chose Torchic and Piplup.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

A good way to look at starters for in-game purposes:

-What gyms are they good against?
-What gyms are they weak against?
-Do they play a specific role in a team?
-If you don't choose them, can you easily find another pokemon of a similar type/role?

So for Chikorita...
-Chikorita has an advantage against Misty and Brock.
-Chikorita is weak against Falkner, Bugsy, Pryce, Janine and Blaine.
-Meganium is more defensive than Typhlosion and Feraligatr, it can help heal your team with Aromatherapy, and beat with moves like Petal Dance, but it doesn't sweep as well as the other two.
-Grass-types are fairly common, and you can find a Bellsprout early game, if you really want a pokemon that can do what Meganium does, you can use something like Mr. Mime for moves like Barrier, Reflect and Safeguard and Roselia for moves like Synthesis and Aromatherapy (I'm unsure if you can grab Roselia in-game in HG/SS).

For Cyndaquil...
-Cydaquil is good against Bugsy, Jasmine, Pryce, and Erica.
-Cydaquil is weak against Misty and Brock.
-Typhlosion is a strong special sweeper, a great role for in-game.
-Fire-types are less common that grass and water-types, but you can get Growlite/Vulpix before you face Morty, other special sweepers you can grab in-game are Kadabra/Alakazam and Ampharos

And finally Totodile...
-Totodile is good in mach-ups against Brock and Blaine
-Totodile is weak against Lt. Surge and Erica
-As said before, with the 4th gen update, Feraligatr can take up the role of a physical sweeper, like the special sweeper, a great in-game role.
-Water-types are pretty easy to come by, you can grab Magikarps and Woopers early on, as for other physical sweepers you can use Heracross or Scyther.

Overall, they're pretty even, Meganium takes up a unique role in a team while the others are part of a fairly common tole, Typhlosion has the most in-game advantage, and Feraligatr is the most "balanced" of the three (having the same amount of advantages as disadvantages).

I personally chose Cyndaquil, it's just my personal preference, as I always thought he was the cutest of the three starters and had the coolest final evolution.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Blarg wrote:
I don't think any of the starters are terrible.
It really depends on what kind of pokemon you prefer.

I completely agree with that statement Blarg,
My starter choices however are Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape. (and no, i'm not a Fire-type junkie, i just liked those starters a tad better then the rest) :)

[color=#BF40FF]~*[/color][color=#8040BF]-[/color][color=#8000FF]Two[/color][color=#8000BF]*~[/color]

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Depends on the region, really.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If the extent of their argument is that the others "suck"... that should be their first clue that you really shouldn't worry about what they say...

Barn owl is right that fire types are rarer in game, and many people do choose fire types for that reason.

Basically, if you played a while, you'll know what type tends to match your play style, and you should choose a starter that matches how you play.

Even though it is getting more muddled as time goes by, each type has it's own flavor.

Your friends are probably just upset that your meganium can KO their feraligator and heal itself at the same time.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:14 am
Profile YIM
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Chris, your sig is WAY too large. I'd change it before another mod catches you.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I honestly don't like this gens starters all that much, I feel like it had the weakest starters of any gen. That being said, I chose Typhlosion, since it was the one I picked when I was younger.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:18 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Cyndaquil, if only because Typhlosion is the coolest, plus special sweepers and fire types are much harder to come by.

Feraligatr is just a less powerful version of Gyarados

Meganium is good supportively, although outclassed by other readily available Pokemon

Finally, I'd like to point out that, in my opinion, the following Typhlosion moveset is unmatched by the other starters of this Gen:

Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Eruption
Flamethrower
Focus Blast
HP Grass

I completed the Nuzlocke Challenge,give it a go!
FC (Rackham): 2751 3755 8475 (HG)

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]