It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Tomokazu Komiya HATRED: Where'd you learn to "draw"?! 
THE POWER IS ON!

As somebody who collects Pokemon cards more for their artwork than their sparklies or awesome battle worth, there is one thing that manages to surpass counterfeit cards, delusional eBay sellers and ridiculous shipping prices on my list of most annoying aspects of being a Pokemon TCG collector: Tomokazu Komiya's kiddie doodles. The coolest thing about the Pokemon TCG is that it employs so many artists, each with highly specialized styles. Tomokazu Komiya, however, is an absolute embarrassment to the craft. A quick background check reveals that he practices "Primitivism," which is basically his excuse for drawing artwork worse than that of most five year olds. The man has been a TCG mainstay for the better part of a decade and he has failed to improve at all, with his artwork inspiring just as many cringes on my part in 2010 as it did in 2000 when I first saw his awful rendition of Slowpoke in Neo Genesis.

To prove my point, let's compare and contrast Tomokazu's visual rapings of a few Pokemon with versions drawn by people that actually have talent!

Exhibit 1: Glam Goddessa Jynx
Image VS Image

omg ew @ Tomokazu's. Apparently he missed the memo that blackface Jynx is uncool, not to mention the hideous pose and anatomy of his Jynx. Granted, this is one of his better pieces, but it's still a trainwreck compared to most Jynx cards, and the coloring looks like it was done with charcoal. Compare with Kagemaru Himeno's Jynx, which has an adorable pose/facial expression, vibrant colors and is not ~racist~.

Exhibit 2: Adorable Furret
Image VS Image

O_O @ Tomokazu's rabid, angry Furret that brings its own dark cloud pallete to its artwork. Compare with Atsuko Nishida's Furret, which is adorable. Also note that Atsuko's Furret has a buddy while Tomokazu's is a hideously ugly outcast from society and for good reason.

Exhibit 3: Normally Alive Phanpy
Image VS Image

alol @ Phanpy dropping dead from embarrassment after being drawn by Tomofailzu Komiya. I would have the same reaction, Phanpy. Once again, Tomokazu takes a cute Pokemon and basically sh*ts all over it with this hideously ominous, fugly rendition. Compare with Kouki Saitou's cute, crisp and most importantly ALIVE version of Phanpy.

Exhibit 4: Normally In-Shape Tyrogue
Image VS Image

This is easily one of Tomokazu's worst pieces ever. It is so hilariously awful that it almost comes full circle to being a masterpiece but it can't because it is just that bad. It manages to combine almost all of Tomokazu's bad traits into a single picture. Hideous pose? Check. Awkward coloring? Check. Pokemon sweating or with a look of pain on its face? Check. Pokemon horribly off model? Check and mate. Compare with Yuka Morii's clay model which actually resembles the Pokemon in question.

Exhibit 5: Cuteness Goddessa Chansey
Image VS Image

WTFH, he is not even trying. Now, granted, he at least made Chansey happy, which is a lot more than I can say for some his other sweating/angry monstrosities, but how do you draw what is basically an egg-shaped blog with spiky hair THAT off model? Compare with Kanako Eo's Chansey, which is actually adorable and does Chansey justice.

Exhibit 6: Round Ball Voltorb
Image VS Image
Maybe I was being too hard on Tomokazu for his renditions of the previous Pokemon because they were too ~complex~ even though I can even handdraw a halfway decent version of Jynx. But this picture alone proves why Tomokazu is an epic failure: HE CAN'T EVEN DRAW VOLTORB, WHICH IS BASICALLY A CIRCLE. WTFH, DUDE. GO BACK TO REMEDIAL ART CLASS! Ken Sugimori, being a professional, can draw a circle with ~class~.

In conclusion, Tomokazu Komiya should not have a job. KNOW THAT!

Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The sad thing is, he still draws for the company.

I hate the way he drew Slowpoke and Exploud, But his Tyrouge and Chansey take the cake. He should be fired.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri May 21, 2010 12:14 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I couldn't quite understand the dislike beginning with the Jynx, but I quickly saw your point after. Seeing Chansey rendered in such a way makes me sad :(

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Um... I can draw better than that and I suck on paper.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:42 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

My personal least favorite:

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

imo, the furret and the phanpy are alrite. but everything else is pure crap. who can't draw a voltorb?! i mean, i can't draw a perfect circle, but i can get it pretty close.... maybe if he had made it an ellipse, it would be okay, but <shudders> that is not good.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:26 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Isn't it just his style? I mean, I'm sure the Voltorb weirdness was on purpose. I don't like the style though.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nidoprince wrote:
Isn't it just his style? I mean, I'm sure the Voltorb weirdness was on purpose. I don't like the style though.

Nobody does T. NOBODY!!!

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Steel_Eel wrote:
Nidoprince wrote:

Nobody does T. NOBODY!!!

If I did that in art class I swear I would be the king. Maybe people with a seeing disorder like it :P Besides, he probably thought a circle is too easy to draw so he did it badly so it'd stand out.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nidoprince wrote:

If I did that in art class I swear I would be the king. Maybe people with a seeing disorder like it :P

Yeah! Maybye the 5 year olds would like it!

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:55 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What the hell, he can't even draw a circle?!?
And that Pachirisu is just disgusting.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:43 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Omg!!! Chansey and Voltorb are just hilarous!!! xD I think the only one he actually did well was a muk...

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have a Magnemite that looks like its melting. He fails at drawing.

Goodbye
"

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]