It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Should they make evasion a stat? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm just wondering on what you guys think about evasion, wither its good enough to be a stat or not.

BEAST MODE

#E3CF57 reference ;]

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:08 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Yes. It shouldn't be a unknown value.

Act Like you know.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:33 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well... no. It's difficult for me to explain, but its nature makes it too complex to be a visible stat.

Accuracy and evasion can't be stats because they are not dependent on the Pokémon. They are dependent on the accuracy of the moves and status changes inflicted. Every Pokémon of every level has the EXACT SAME accuracy and evasion stat by default. It's not even a 'stat'. It's again, dependent on the moves.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Well in a since it actually is a stats as there are stats modifier moves for it...but no, no it shouldn't become a stats like ATK or DEF or SPE or etc...there is just no need for it to be done since every pokemon has the same evasion/accurancy...plus the evasion & accurancy of a pokemon is connected so again even more so no, no...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:28 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Gallade Roxas wrote:
Well... no. It's difficult for me to explain, but its nature makes it too complex to be a visible stat.

Accuracy and evasion can't be stats because they are not dependent on the Pokémon. They are dependent on the accuracy of the moves and status changes inflicted. Every Pokémon of every level has the EXACT SAME accuracy and evasion stat by default. It's not even a 'stat'. It's again, dependent on the moves.

Upon seeing the title of the thread and reading what the OP had to say, I began to question the idea as well.

And this seems like the best explanation possible. Moves dictate accuracy and evasion chances and are configured differently depending on any given variables (the accuracy of the moves selected, possible alterations to the evasion "stat") in any given battle.

In-short, making it a visible "stat" requires somewhat drastic changes to the game mechanics in itself.

Alterations to the evasion and accuracy stat are banned in competitive anyways, so it's not that much of a concern. At least in my opinion.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think its should be a stat but not all pokemon should have the same ability to evade move, for example Ninjaskis small and fast making it a hard target to hit, where as snorlax a giant slow pokemon would be easier to hit.
I also think the it should be based on terrain as well for example seaking on land verse in the water.

PS I think Smogon and its evasion clause suck.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i agree with /vVv. at least you can see accuracy (on each move's description). evasion should at least be somewhere visible.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

/vXv\ wrote:
PS I think Smogon and its evasion clause suck.

And that's your opinion. I personally don't like being walled by a Minimizing Muk in storyline; the same strategy can be produced in Wi-Fi or friendly battles. And I know this because it's happened to me -- trainers (who ignore Smogon's clauses) fall upon their last Pokemon who uses similar said strategy and will drag the battle on for an indefinite unnecessary amount of time.

And the evasion boost stat increase paired with recovery moves is just an example. That doesn't include other moves that increase evasion or accuracy. The clause does make certain Poke "useless" due to certain abilities (Keen Eye, for example), but it also brings another edge to making teams that don't pertain to Smogon's clauses, therefore creating more "replay" value. Smogon is designed with speed in mind (along with other things) and boosting said stats when combined with other technical tactics can be an intellectual form of defensive combat (possibly offensive as well) but is often too slow (annoying) and (through certain perspectives) "cheap" when playing in a game that is intended for or preferred to be fast-paced.

But this thread isn't intended to argue that point...

And as for a Poke's size determining it's said "visible" evasion stat, the game is and has somewhat always been correlating this idea with stats like Speed and Def, along with a movepool that would increase certain stats depending on the inspiration behind said poke.
But if the evasion "stat" was to ever be visible, I imagine the same idea would be applied to it.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]