It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Next Generation Ideas that (generally) don't suck. 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1. More mini-games
1a. Mini-games that do something towards raising your guys experience, EVs, etc.
Why it doesn't suck: Pokemon has had quite a few minigames in G4 - from the disaster that was Platinum's wifi minigames, to the fun of the Underground, to the hit or miss awesomeness of the Pokealtheon (Wait... so you're telling me that no matter how high my speed EVs are, if he doesn't drink some juice his speed won't go up? FAIL!). And they're generally fun. But, all in all, they tend to do jack squat for the game. Your pokemon do jack squat in the underground. Your pokemon learn no experience in the pokealthelon, and your pokemon earn ribbons at the contests. Go team. :/. I'd love for a variety of mini-games, whether in the general style of the bug catching game, or as one-shots from the pokealthelon, that matter in-game. The bug catching contest gives you a pokemon and some experience and a reward. Is it SOO HARD to make it so training to win the pokeathelon race gives you 1 EV (or 2 if you've got the pokerus or +4 if you have the power item?)? MAYBE make the actual race (w/ prizes) not count, but the practice races seem ripe for gaining EVs and experience.

2. Generation X.5 - different starters.
Why it doesn't suck: Imagine in Pokemon Platinum, instead of getting the G4 starters, you had a choice between beldum, dratini, and larvitar. Let's say that after you beat a few gyms, you even get the G4 starters from the professor.
2a. What this means:
i. MORE psuedo-legendaries. Psuedo-legendaries are the only things that could take the place of starters w/o feeling like a letdown. Of course, to get the "elemental rock-paper-scissors" effect, they'll need to make get 3 psuedo-legendaries together that actually have that same effect. They don't need to be fire/water/grass; rather they just need to stand in that A trumps B, B trumps C, C trumps A arrangement for 1, or both, of their types. I figure they could use 1 old psuedo legendary (preferably one not found easily in that generation) and 2 new ones from that generation (not new to that game, but new in that generation).
ii. New Movepools - afterall, we don't want your dratini going TOO long before learning a move. I don't think it'll get better moves, just more variety of what it already has access too.
iii. Harder game, overall - set, say, a year after the first of that generation's games, everyone you meet has bigger pokemon, badder pokemon, and generally want to kick your ass that much harder. Fortunately you have better pokemon.
iv. Lucky Eggs? I imagine you'd get a lucky egg relatively early in your journey to help hasten the leveling up of your main guys, and help your caught guys catch up.

3. Greater differences between pokemon on the games: Think half of the original 140 on one game, then half on the other (with leftovers from the Gn-1 generation on the GX.5 game)
Why it doesn't suck: The GTS and internet makes trading easier. You can get most of the older pokemon from older games relatively easily. So the REAL difference to the pokemon player is that it makes the game PLAY DIFFERENTLY. If Pokemon Black had access to Growlithe and Pidgey, while Pokemon White had access to Skarmony and meowth between town 2 and 3, you DARNED WELL KNOW things would turn out differently.

4. EV wiper
Why it doesn't suck: So I play a game, win the game, find out about EV training, and... what... I have to collect some obscure berries that don't even remove all the EVs in a given area? Right... thanks for making my favorite pokemon NOT my favorite anymore Gamefreak!
When all is said and done, and EV wiper shouldn't come free - he should ask for, say, a starpiece or something. He shouldn't be able to wipe level 100 pokemon of their EVs. But, once you beat the game, when you're getting ready to wifi battle, this guy should be available to you. And he would ROCK. Got something from the GTS? EV wipe it. Made a mistake while EV training? EV wipe it.
Why it's not too good: Such an EV wiper would wipe ALL EVs at once, not just 1 catagory or 10 at a time. Why does this matter? This means you can't just go up to him and say "You know what, I think I'd rather boost Sp. attack than attack", you go up to him and start from scratch. Which, if you're serious about EV training, means you need to EV train for about an hour, probably less.

5. EV Gardens - a place relatively early in the game where you face pokemon of low level (2-, say, 10) each of which gives 1 (and only 1) EV of a given type). The EV Gardens should also be run by the BF Judge.
Why it doesn't suck - So let's say I've actually played pokemon before, and know about EVs, IVs, and everything. But I want to try the new game. Because it's awesome. Once again, nothing sucks like spending a lot of time training a really crappy pokemon or training a good pokemon but giving him the wrong EVs. The garden solves this problem. If I want, I can check my "Crabberswatch"'s IVs at the garden, then after finding out it is awesome incarnate, I can raise it's HP and Attack EVs accordingly.
Why it's not too good: You need to pay to visit the gardens. I'm thinking that you get unlimited access after the elite 4, but before that you need to pay. Money, maybe, or maybe there's a limit to how many paths you can enter (1 per day, for example, and only once), or maybe you just need to bring cash with you and pay an entrance fee to each route.
Why it's probably ALMOST too good: Well, apart from the EV training and all, such routes should probably have 3-6 or more different pokemon. Some are nocturnal, others rare, but long story short even if, say, the speed route is full of Rattata and Diglets, there'll still be 2-3 OTHER speed EV pokemon you want. Even if we only assume 6 paths and 5 pokemon each, that's 30 pokemon. I think it's safe to say that between 2 and 3 would be version exclusive for each path, which means we're up to about 45 pokemon dedicated to this. Now, fortunately, there's no reason these guys shouldn't be available elsewhere as well... well, most of them. This should act as a quasi-safari zone insofar as it should have 1-2 relatively rare pokemon per route, version exclusive or not.

Long story short: You'll probably be spending a lot of time in the EV gardens collecting pokemon, EV training, or just exploring the in-city building that is MUCH bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:26 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

6. Pokemon-specific mini-quests.
Examples:
a) Bring 6 unown that spell something to an area in a cave or something.
b) Free, but hidden/"in training" tutors (think HG/SS Headbut tutor, but in caves/etc.)
c) A "Quest system" not unlike the FF games, where you have to meet certain objectives with, say, a given set of pokemon, and you get a reward. This can include special tutor moves for certain pokemon, items, unlocking other events, etc.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:10 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

labarith wrote:
6. Bring 6 unown that spell something to an area in a cave or something.

That would be a cool way to get a legendary. You would spell its name with the Unown to gain access to some hidden chamber where it is (no, not Zekrom, some other 6-letter legendary).

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:19 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1. I would like to see and interaction between Pokemon and environment. For example a dark type Pokemon gains some form of a boost at night time. Another example would be, if your battling in a forest and your Pokemon uses a fire type move, you could see scorched trees in the background.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Psper12 wrote:
1. I would like to see and interaction between Pokemon and environment. For example a dark type Pokemon gains some form of a boost at night time. Another example would be, if your battling in a forest and your Pokemon uses a fire type move, you could see scorched trees in the background.

The problem w/ a night time boost is that it would only work outside of buildings (enter "darkness" weather effect... eh).

Your ideas are cool, but at the end of the day let me ask you this: Would you rather your ideas be put into place or have another box for 30 pokemon on your game. Because I tell you space for 30 more pokemon on the game doesn't even begin to the space we'd need to make your scorched trees and darkness effects.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Psper12 wrote:

You want Pokémon to promote wildfires? O_o

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Mektar wrote:
labarith wrote:
6. Bring 6 unown that spell something to an area in a cave or something.

That would be a cool way to get a legendary. You would spell its name with the Unown to gain access to some hidden chamber where it is (no, not Zekrom, some other 6-letter legendary).

Zapdos! :D

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:21 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It's not much of a puzzle if you spell out the pokemon's name, is it?

Rather, for example, there might be a series of clues that suggest which Unown to bring, and which order. Furthermore, I sort of think 4-5 letter codes, with 1 "lead" pokemon (who isn't an untrained level 5 like most unown you will own) might be better, although less interesting.

Of course, it could be the case that the codes are in the unown ruins, so running in with 6 unown and fighting guys about the same level probably wouldn't hurt. That said, it'd be kind of neat if we got something like "experience all" that works w/ Unown only - that is, whenever the unown carrying that item, all your other pokemon of the same type get the same experience (IE, not splitting experience. So if your level 5 guy KOs a level 5 guy, each of your unown get the same experience and EVs they would get if they had knocked him out). The item would probably only work w/ Unown, but would be a pretty damned awesome way to EV train unown for deeper caves/ruins w/ higher IV guys. Of course, all this would be pretty meaningless without an Unown related guy (probably legendary) that DOES SOMETHING with the unown on your team. Official tourneys would need to make it such that each different Unown letter is it's own guy, and presumably you'd have an UU team that is comprised of this 1 guy and 5 different Unown (preferably w/ different hidden powers).

The only other possible way to make Unown more playable is to have a movetutor that tutors a different HQ move onto each different letter/symbol. Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Shadowball, Super Power, Close Combat, etc. Preferably these moves would start w/ the letter of the Unown that is taught them???

Still, the idea of using Unown as keys to unlock certain things is rather nifty and should be implimented even if there is no effort made to make unown better pokemon.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:30 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

what I want to see is an ability to change your Pokemon pokeball. They could make it so the original pokeball is destroyed, and only allow you to switch to pokeballs that are purchasable from a pokemart. I'd love to have a bred pokemon in ANYTHING thats not a regular pokeball.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:25 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

i want to see a area like Giratina's world only you can catch pokemon not just battle some bad guy and fight a lengendary

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Dangertrout wrote:
what I want to see is an ability to change your Pokemon pokeball. They could make it so the original pokeball is destroyed, and only allow you to switch to pokeballs that are purchasable from a pokemart. I'd love to have a bred pokemon in ANYTHING thats not a regular pokeball.

Yeah, I always hated how bred Pokémon and Gift Pokémon were always in boring Poké Balls.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Oh, and i'd like the ability to deposit ALL my pokemon in the computer. they can make it so you can't go anywhere outside the pokecenter or in the union rooms without having something in your party, i just want to be able to dump a batch of trash and take out a batch of traders in peace.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Dangertrout wrote:
Oh, and i'd like the ability to deposit ALL my pokemon in the computer. they can make it so you can't go anywhere outside the pokecenter or in the union rooms without having something in your party, i just want to be able to dump a batch of trash and take out a batch of traders in peace.

Or just simply not be allowed to leave whatever Mode you're in on the PC until you have a Party.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Wouldn't that be awesome if they made it so if Jirachi were put to sleep, that it would be covered in that crystalline shell , like it says in the Pokedex? They obviously wouldn't do this but if they did, it'd be pretty awesome. The shell could like add a Defense boost, while its asleep. And this would be just like Sky Shaymin when it gets frozen.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Psychic_Espeon_16 wrote:
Wouldn't that be awesome if they made it so if Jirachi were put to sleep, that it would be covered in that crystalline shell , like it says in the Pokedex? They obviously wouldn't do this but if they did, it'd be pretty awesome. The shell could like add a Defense boost, while its asleep. And this would be just like Sky Shaymin when it gets frozen.

well, that might work better as an egg kinda dealie (like how manaphy has his special egg) or as a specific move; they could call it Chrysalis, or something like that, and it's effect would put it to sleep, and heal all status and hp for the effect of a boosted defense, but no switching out or something like that. or maybe an extended sleep period.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:23 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

better overall breeding system, make it an after the main quest experience, as fun as becoming the poke champ .
Being able to switch pokeballs.
Streamlining or overhalling the ev training process.
I would also like it if when your pokemon reaches level 100 that there is a graphical differance or change in their sprite, like typhloshion gets a new flame ring of a diffrent color (showing increased heat), golem becomes smoother (from rolling), mamoswine gets some grays while tusks becoming sharper from use, or wailord becomes...bigger!
Would also like it if they got someone new to work on "from the back" sprites (mamoswine looks like he's mad at his health bar)...well there obsolete now due to white and blacks new battle style...

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think that it is nice how they cut down on the size of the info bars in pokemon battles so you can see more of the action and in double and triple battles it dosnt look like they are all competeing for space.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]