It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Name that Starter! 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I was wondering, what english names have you guys come up with for the starters? I only came up with one, but I think its gold. Mijumaru = Wotter

Haha! Thats all I've got... What names have you guys come up with? If anyone says Derp Derp I'm gonna find you and hurt you.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:42 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

I'm betting the pig will have some goofy name like "Pigma" (Starfox, etc.) or something to do with pork/bacon. Wotter is an extremely common fan name for Mijumaru, originating from /v/.

No idea for the grass starter though.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i've noticed that as far as names go, nintendo usually does some sort of play on words for the english versions (dragonair = dragon+air; you see what i mean?? charizard = char (verb) + lizard) so i expect something similar. maybe the shell on mijumaru will play a prominent role in the design of the evos/name. hmmm, but i can't actually think of what i would call them.... The Baconator, Shellguy, and Marizard (magic+lizard, just because i think of a magician's show when i see the cape lol).

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:16 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Pokabo for the Fire Starter as it's Japanese name to me seems like a play on the phrase "Peek-A-Boo!" only using "Poke" instead of "Peek-A" & of course "Bu" instead of "Boo"...

Mijumaru can't even think of one, maybe Botter or Ottubi, okay, I quit...

Sirvine or Servine for the Grass Starter, okay, I know it sucks but so do most of the actual English Pokemon names, meh...

Okay, I'll now proceed to go hide in a ditch now cause those are all truly terrible names & I am not looking forward to the literally rains on opinions that I will get on them...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:07 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Pyor (pyre/boar)

Wugly (water/ugly)

Sleafer (snake/leaf/er)

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

labarith wrote:
Pyor (pyre/boar)

Wugly (water/ugly)

Sleafer (snake/leaf/er)

guess you haven't seen jigglypuff's thread....
okay, then!!!
Bofir (boar/fire; pronounced, "bow-fear") for pokabu
Aquatter (aqua/otter; "akwa-ter")
and.... Marizard lol jkjk how about Lizafor (lizard/forest; "lee-za-4")
i don't really like these either, but i tried....

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Hisseed (Hiss + Seed) or Budaconda (Bud + Anaconda) for Tsutaaja

Roaswine (Roast + Swine) for Pokabu

Otturent (Otter + Current/Torrent) for Mijumaru.

{venusaur} {charizard} {blastoise} {meganium} {typhlosion} {feraligatr} {sceptile} {blaziken} {swampert} {torterra} {infernape} {empoleon} {machamp} {gallade} {toxicroak} {pidgeot} {staraptor} {luxray} {alakazam} {gengar} {nidoqueen} {nidoking} {aggron} {rhyperior} {gyarados} {milotic} {kingdra}

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:05 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

AceTrainer wrote:
Otturent (Otter + Current/Torrent) for Mijumaru.

Now this is decades better then what I came up with & probably the best name I heard for it in this thread, for now anyway...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:45 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: I cannot disclose this information as it might endanger our units in the feild
why don't you just translate from japanese, I mean its not like they draw letters out of a hat, they probably have a literal translation

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

robbyderry wrote:
why don't you just translate from japanese, I mean its not like they draw letters out of a hat, they probably have a literal translation

even if they did have literal translations (that made sense; i'm japanese, so even though i can't read/speak it, i know it won't translate literally and still make sense provided it even has a translation), do you really want the names to be "snake-something" "shell-otter-water" and "fire-bacon"?? not that that's what they translate to, but you get the idea.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:20 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Yeah, they clearly don't use the literal translations of the Japanese names as the English names in pretty much anything at all for that matter as they tend to be broken grammer if not tempered with after being flat out translated...

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Other possible names:

Arboa (Arboreal+Boa)
Serpentwig (Serpent+Twig) - too similar to {turtwig}, but it wouldn't be the first time it's done, {charmander} and {chimchar} say hi

Serpex (Serpent+Apex) - Apex pertaining to the apex of the leaf

Seedwinder (Seed+Sidewinder)

Scorchog (Scorch+Hog)

Lutrinaqua (Lutrinae+Aqua) - Lutrinae being the subfamily of otters

Estuatter (Estuary+Water)

Yes I know. They sound ugly. It's quite hard to think of names given their species.

{venusaur} {charizard} {blastoise} {meganium} {typhlosion} {feraligatr} {sceptile} {blaziken} {swampert} {torterra} {infernape} {empoleon} {machamp} {gallade} {toxicroak} {pidgeot} {staraptor} {luxray} {alakazam} {gengar} {nidoqueen} {nidoking} {aggron} {rhyperior} {gyarados} {milotic} {kingdra}

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

AceTrainer wrote:
Yes I know. They sound ugly. It's quite hard to think of names given their species.

actually, i thought the only problem with some of them was their length. they seemed quite good to me (though, arboa is a little too similar {arbok} for me).
and i know i must sound like a broken record, but why does everyone keep calling it a snake?!? it looks more like a gecko/anole, imo.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
AceTrainer wrote:

actually, i thought the only problem with some of them was their length. they seemed quite good to me (though, arboa is a little too similar {arbok} for me).
and i know i must sound like a broken record, but why does everyone keep calling it a snake?!? it looks more like a gecko/anole, imo.

Because its species is Grass Snake. Besides, the largest of snakes have small claws that are called vestigial limbs. This might explain Tsutaaja's legs, and they were just stylized to make it quite acceptable design-wise. I for one think it's a hint that Tsutaaja might evolve into a massive basilisk-like grass/dragon.

Speaking of Basilisk, how about

Grassilisk

LoL.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:53 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

How about Grasskink?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

AceTrainer wrote:
rex09 wrote:
AceTrainer wrote:

Because its species is Grass Snake. Besides, the largest of snakes have small claws that are called vestigial limbs. This might explain Tsutaaja's legs, and they were just stylized to make it quite acceptable design-wise. I for one think it's a hint that Tsutaaja might evolve into a massive basilisk-like grass/dragon.

Speaking of Basilisk, how about

Grassilisk

LoL.

uh, i looked on the psydex, and it didn't have a species. but i'll look again elsewhere, and double-check. will edit if i'm wrong/right. and the vestigial limbs are incredibly tiny, so i really didn't count them. but if so, it makes sense.
EDIT: i looked on psypokes (no time to do otherwise as of now) and there's nothing about the Grass snake species. so not confirmed/denied yet. if someone else finds a link to a place that will clear this up, please put it below. thanks.
EDIT 2: found out the translation for "tsutaaja" is "ivy snake." so i was wrong. but that doesn't make it the official species of the pokemon (even though it probably will be)

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:15 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Wow, thanks for the replies guys!

But I kind of want to punch Labarith...

Anyways, about translating directly from Japanese, theres a few problems witht that. Charizards Japanese name is Lizaadon, that means, essentially, lizardsaur. [sarcasm]Wow, thats a cool name...[/sarcasm] So, it doesnt always work, also, "maru" in Mijumaru can't be directly translated. It just kind of means, boy. (conundrum. "maru" means boy, but starters can always be either boy or girl {however they have a higher chance of being a boy... nonetheless})

Also, I really want the Grass Pokemon to be a big basilisk or like dragon type thing, it'd be awesome!

I also didn't know Wotter was that common, and here I thought I was clever... : ( Oh well, it was bound to have been taken, but I happen to like it.

I like Serpentwig (I actually thought of that once myself... But I never posted it) but I really like Seedwinder, its got a ring to it and just fits the ten letter requirement.

I got leafang? (Leaf + fang) Tsutaaja

Mareaver? (Marine + Beaver) Mijumaru

Pigferno? (Pig + Inferno) Pokabu

Or maybe Fyoar (corruption of fire + boar)? Pokabu

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:11 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
AceTrainer wrote:

I hope they don't do the backwards name thing with Mijumaru and make it otter spelled backwards. That would be weird. Otter = Retto

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:02 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thanks for the feedback. I actually surprised myself after typing Seedwinder. The only problem is that it has leaves, not a seed, in its anatomy.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:36 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

AceTrainer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I actually surprised myself after typing Seedwinder. The only problem is that it has leaves, not a seed, in its anatomy.

Well, Charmeleon wasnt a chameleon. And Venusaur never had a venus fly trap on it. So its still valid, just a little weird.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:06 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

AceTrainer wrote:

maybe a final evo would be better for this name?? depending on how it looks, of course.... but that's just based off of your based on anatomy thingy.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

labarith wrote:
Pyor (pyre/boar)

Wugly (water/ugly)

Sleafer (snake/leaf/er)

pyore = aint bad
wugly = EPIC TRUTH
sleafer = its alright but sleafy just sounds better to me

as for me:
pygra (fire pig)
idk (water otter)
sleafy (grass lizard thing)

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Repteaf (Reptile + Leaf)- Tsutaaja
Emsus (Ember + Sus (the genus of the domestic pig))- Pokabu
Ottud (Otter + Misspelling of Flood)- Mijumaru

I completely agree with Wugly. I also thought that Seedwinder was a good name.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:16 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Slithorn
Blaswine (or maybe one of its evolutions...)
Drotter (I don't know...)

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]