It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Generation V Rival speculation 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Generation IV rivals are like night and say, with the first one being a male Haruhi who's your friend, while HG/SS bringing back the "big bad" rival who changes his ways in the end.

Personally, I'd like to have both in Generation V, although I *REALLY* hope we get a rival who changes genders based on which gender you pick.

I'd also like to see the "2nd rival" (villian) be different for each game - for example, in Black I'd like it to be one "team rocket" (or equivalent) member, and for White, I'd like it to be a different one. Of course, I'm okay with facing the "final form" of both "bad" rivals near the end of that story, and I suppose both could reform (not necessary though), but one will clearly be your "dark" rival, seperate from the rest of the villian team.

I'd also like to see your rivals raise pokemon from you. For your "good" rival, I'd like them to offer you a trade - and then post-trade (as with other trades), I'd like them to add that pokemon to their team, gaining levels as YOU walk (I also think YOUR pokemon should gain experience as you walk - 1 point ever X steps or so, while traded pokemon would gain 1 point ever Y steps, where Y > X). These pokemon would be set to "automatically evolve" (If this is problematic, then the trade-pokemon should only be ones that don't evolve in problematic ways).

As for the evil rival, I'd like him to rob a pokemon from the adoption center, where the adoption center is the "safety net" for pokemon you release, where you can go and pick them up if you release the wrong one, and where your released pokemon get sent to a variation of the GTS and send you 3 new pokemon when you upload to the GTS variation (although you'd only be able to pick one per day). I figure that once you release 1 pokemon, the next time you go to the adoption center, (pre-wifi connecting w/ it), your evil rival will rush out of the back room, hop the counter, and we'll learn that he has stolen the first pokemon you released (so don't release a level 100 pokemon you traded to the game first?), and he raises it while he raises his other pokemon.

Sun May 30, 2010 12:29 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
labarith wrote:
although I *REALLY* hope we get a rival who changes genders based on which gender you pick.

This very much, me too...

I also have 2 other suggestions;

1. Your Rival just simply is female who is another person altogether which they haven't done yet they have done this with the male character 3 times now with Blue, Silver & what ever the Rival from DPPt is named I don't know it...

2. This time around maybe you have multiple Rivals...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sun May 30, 2010 4:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

a serious one that becomes uber levels like in gen. 4 is cool

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

KingErick wrote:
a serious one that becomes uber levels like in gen. 4 is cool

Yeah, that made Platinum at least a little fun post story alone...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

for a rival, i would like for it to be a female. and they say pokemon isn't sexist... lolz.
hmmm, the two rivals thing could be interesting if done right. i like the one good, one bad. wouldn't it be interesting if the three of you were siblings?? one of them joins the "good" team, another joins the "evil" team, then you have to decide... but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
@labarith: i'm not really sure about the whole trading thing to your "good" rival. just seems like it would be a whole lot of issues... and would you ever get the pokemon back?? and what would they give you?? i think we should just stick with the three starters and their various relationships throughout the game... oh, and to fix the whole lvl 100 issue, then all you would have to do is limit trading.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
for a rival, i would like for it to be a female. and they say pokemon isn't sexist... lolz.
hmmm, the two rivals thing could be interesting if done right. i like the one good, one bad. wouldn't it be interesting if the three of you were siblings?? one of them joins the "good" team, another joins the "evil" team, then you have to decide... but i guess we'll just have to wait and see.
@labarith: i'm not really sure about the whole trading thing to your "good" rival. just seems like it would be a whole lot of issues... and would you ever get the pokemon back?? and what would they give you?? i think we should just stick with the three starters and their various relationships throughout the game... oh, and to fix the whole lvl 100 issue, then all you would have to do is limit trading.

The game sets the stats of legendaries and in-game trades at the beginning of the game, trainer pokemon come pre-set. All I'm proposing for in-game trades is that the "space" the trade held isn't meaningless, with a little more work rather than the in-game-traded pokemon being sent to your box/team, and the data space empty, they could replace it with the data from the pokemon you traded (rather than just erasing that data). With a few mechanical tweeks, then, and story stuff, you could then battle pokemon you had traded in-game w/ other trainers.

For the rival, it's different. Arguably if you don't trade him something, the game might read him as having either a level 1, say, eevee (Let's say he'd trade you an unnamed eevee for a given pokemon), or not having anything in that slot (meaning it's easier to beat him if you don't make the trade). Either way would probably be fine.

As for the "level 100 problem"... I'm not too worried about it. You never HAVE to beat your rival, so if you're foolish enough to trade him a level 100 bellsprout when he asks for a bellsprout, then you'll get your rear handed to you ever time you fight him early on in the game. I mean, really, what were you thinking?

The only question I have is how they'd do leveling up/evolving/move-learning. I take it that since there are a limited number of in-game trades, these pokemon might level up differently/learn moves differently. For example, if you trade someone a level 5 magby, then when it reaches level 10 it becomes Magmar (off screen, as it never gets in-battle experience), and becomes magmortar at level 30. It would probably have a reduced moveset (including only moves worth keeping), and would forget the moves it used to know in a similar fashion to daycare move-learning. Thus, with a reduced moveset (but bolstered by some TMs/Tutor moves at certain levels), the traded pokemon would be a worthy foe at any level (although, because of the way they would level up, they'd almost always be lower-levels than your team until the reoccuring last-matchup).

I'd also like the elite 4, post "2nd battle" (think HG/SS post Kanto), to have a similar pokemon-leveling up/team revolving mechanic. I'd like them to have an established pool of say 7-12 pokemon, and each time you beat them it unlocks a new pokemon that can randomly be added to it's team. So the first time you fight them, it has pokemon 1-5, say, then post 2nd battle, each time you fight them it adds 1 pokemon from the pool to the potential list, and selects these pokemon at random - thus making each battle different. Furthermore, maybe after every time you beat the elite 4, one of each elite 4 member's pokemon is given a level (but no more moves) so that the next time you fight it, it's bigger.

I'd also be interested in a revolving elite 4 lineup... for example, maybe after you beat the game, each gym leader and the original champion take turns being the "5th face" in the elite 4 (if not, I definately want there to be rematches against gym leaders elsewhere).

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What if your rival could catch the counterpart legendary and you have to fight him with the other legendary (i.e., Reshiram vs. Zekrom)?

{venusaur} {charizard} {blastoise} {meganium} {typhlosion} {feraligatr} {sceptile} {blaziken} {swampert} {torterra} {infernape} {empoleon} {machamp} {gallade} {toxicroak} {pidgeot} {staraptor} {luxray} {alakazam} {gengar} {nidoqueen} {nidoking} {aggron} {rhyperior} {gyarados} {milotic} {kingdra}

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

AceTrainer wrote:
What if your rival could catch the counterpart legendary and you have to fight him with the other legendary (i.e., Reshiram vs. Zekrom)?

Makes sense.

Indeed, I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

labarith wrote:

I'd also like the elite 4, post "2nd battle" (think HG/SS post Kanto), to have a similar pokemon-leveling up/team revolving mechanic. I'd like them to have an established pool of say 7-12 pokemon, and each time you beat them it unlocks a new pokemon that can randomly be added to it's team. So the first time you fight them, it has pokemon 1-5, say, then post 2nd battle, each time you fight them it adds 1 pokemon from the pool to the potential list, and selects these pokemon at random - thus making each battle different. Furthermore, maybe after every time you beat the elite 4, one of each elite 4 member's pokemon is given a level (but no more moves) so that the next time you fight it, it's bigger.

I'd also be interested in a revolving elite 4 lineup... for example, maybe after you beat the game, each gym leader and the original champion take turns being the "5th face" in the elite 4 (if not, I definately want there to be rematches against gym leaders elsewhere).

the other stuff you said was weird but this is pure gold.

having an elite four with variety would really increase its awesomeness.

maybe having two elite fours; one for each region would be cool.

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:25 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

labarith wrote:
AceTrainer wrote:

Makes sense.

Indeed, I'm surprised it hasn't been done before.

Me too, actually. And it also gives your rival some moment to shine because they all must be so bitter at being beaten by us all the time.

{venusaur} {charizard} {blastoise} {meganium} {typhlosion} {feraligatr} {sceptile} {blaziken} {swampert} {torterra} {infernape} {empoleon} {machamp} {gallade} {toxicroak} {pidgeot} {staraptor} {luxray} {alakazam} {gengar} {nidoqueen} {nidoking} {aggron} {rhyperior} {gyarados} {milotic} {kingdra}

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:16 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

KingErick wrote:
maybe having two elite fours; one for each region would be cool.

this is what i wanted with hg/ss, or at least something like it for the new one.
the Rival, the rival.... what if..... (drumroll as suspense builds) there was no rival?? (the crowd gasps; minutes later, riots start in tokyo, new york, and london) lolz. of course, then there'd be little to the plot. plus, it's a traditional part of the game. so not gonna happen.
what would be cool is if there was a rival, and he has a friend/flunkie that he can face you in a double battle with. then when that happens, your friend/neighbor or whatever teams up with you. this could be cool, i think. plus, it allows for more plot (if you have questions by what i mean by this, just say so) and comic relief (same as before).

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:03 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Rivals should go green with envy if they see you own a legend.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:43 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

AceTrainer wrote:
Rivals should go green with envy if they see you own a legend.

I know you're joking, but what if we had an adaptive rival. In another thread, I talked about a "revolving" elite 4 team that added a new pokemon to the possible roster after each battle, and chose them at random when you entered the E4. What if the rival had something similar - he'd have 1-3 standard pokemon: starter, [guy you traded him], legend after you get yours from the game, then depending on what you use against him last time, he'd pick a guy to counter it. If your team included two fire guys, he'd use a Lapras. If your team had two flying guys, a raichu. If your team had two poison guys, a Slarmory. If your team was full of 1-ofs, he could choose at random from these guys to fill up his team.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:59 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

How about the rival having the same levelled pokemon you do, or should i say the top 6 levelled pokemon you have in your team and boxes, whether that be you have 6 level 100's. it would make the battles a lot more competetive and challenging.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Darkrai-follower wrote:
How about the rival having the same levelled pokemon you do, or should i say the top 6 levelled pokemon you have in your team and boxes, whether that be you have 6 level 100's. it would make the battles a lot more competetive and challenging.

I like that except the part about including the boxes in the equation...If I go with LV30 pokemon, I want to fight LV30 pokemon, not LV56 or LV45 pokemon cause I happen to have a pokemon of that level in my box somewhere, talk about a tradegy but no again, I like your idea otherwise...

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:51 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

see, i think it should be that way only after you beat the storyline; and it maybe the levels shouldn't go back down (for instance, what if someone traded all their pokemon somewhere else?? like to gen 6 or something; in that case, you might have pokemon at levels 10-30; but if the rival has pokes that have evolved through the course of the story, some maybe at level 55, it doesn't account for this). the only fix for the afore-mentioned problem would have the species and level go up and down with the level of your pokemon.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

rex09 wrote:
see, i think it should be that way only after you beat the storyline; and it maybe the levels shouldn't go back down

This too of course, I mean I didn't want to have my Rival get outrageously strong to the point where I only could face him with LV100 pokemon & have any luck as I am actually not fond of LV100 pokemon as they can't get any stronger, they are complete as pokemon, etc...

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Lawence Codye wrote:
rex09 wrote:
see, i think it should be that way only after you beat the storyline; and it maybe the levels shouldn't go back down

This too of course, I mean I didn't want to have my Rival get outrageously strong to the point where I only could face him with LV100 pokemon & have any luck as I am actually not fond of LV100 pokemon as they can't get any stronger, they are complete as pokemon, etc...

see, for level 100's, they should just bring back secret bases.... there's little point in it. and i would only use the rival to help train weaker pokemon faster (bring about five strong pokes, and one with an exp. share). also, i would like the rival to be more available for battling after the story. not just every friday.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:16 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

rex09 wrote:
see, for level 100's, they should just bring back secret bases.... there's little point in it. and i would only use the rival to help train weaker pokemon faster (bring about five strong pokes, and one with an exp. share). also, i would like the rival to be more available for battling after the story. not just every friday.

You mean every weakend & yes, yes he/she should be more accessible post story cause that battle was actually the most challenging battle in DP & maybe Platinum too...

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:39 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What if some time after beating the E4, your rival also defeats the E4, and you go journey together in some powerful dungeon-level where you tag-team? I mean I heard of rivals like Silver learning his lesson, but nothing beats actually seeing that your Rival knows how to Pokemon.

And forget what I said about your rival getting the opposite legendary and you duke it out. What if he still gets the legend but because you both worked hard to prevent any mishap done by the villainous team?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:32 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

see, i think it'd be cooler if the legendary kicked his @$$ when he tried to catch it, however only if he's a jerk like blue. or at least arrogant. but i definitely agree with going into a dungeon. could be interesting. and i'd also like to see partners have more than three pokemon. if we can have six, they should be able to as well (but then opponent tag-teams would also be able to have twelve, and it'd be either a mess or incredibly fun).

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

No. I am a proponent of a wimpy-childish-rival-turned-good-and-mature. It is a bit unfair to make a character always stay in the dark and it is a bit heartwarming to know you have changed somebody. So I think your rival should remain good in the end and have his own legend.

Hmm...I guess the theory that Gary lost his {raticate} (as in it DIED) affected me too much.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

AceTrainer wrote:
No. I am a proponent of a wimpy-childish-rival-turned-good-and-mature. It is a bit unfair to make a character always stay in the dark and it is a bit heartwarming to know you have changed somebody. So I think your rival should remain good in the end and have his own legend.

Hmm...I guess the theory that Gary lost his {raticate} (as in it DIED) affected me too much.

i agree with the changing the character's outlook on life. i'm just saying that the whole legend thing (imo) would work best with a jerk-rival. but idk about keeping the legend.... but that could just be because idk what it would be like.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'd like to see a female rival one of these days.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Gallade Roxas wrote:
I'd like to see a female rival one of these days.

There's already a female Professor in this game, you're asking for too much now.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next